Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

why pay BIG $ for a jersey?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

why pay BIG $ for a jersey?

Old 05-29-19, 09:38 AM
boozergut

Bikes: Kona Dew, Gary Fisher Paragon, Salsa Campeon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 77 Posts
I have a faded long sleeve Canari jersey that is my fav. This thread has peaked my interest in givng a high end jersey a try though.....
Old 05-29-19, 09:41 AM
Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist

Bikes: Emonda SL6

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5721 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by jadocs
There is a huge difference in quality, materials and fit. Get yourself a Rapha Core jersey, I think they are going for $80 and you will see/feel the difference. The same can be said for other quality manufacturers. You will never go back to wearing jersey's that fit like t-shirts with pockets in the back.
Was given one of these as a gift not too long ago, and I don't get the hype. IMO the material doesn't have a great feel on your skin. It is very breathable and light, but the fit isn't my favorite either. My team is using this jersey and IMO it's worth every penny-

https://vie13.com/product/euro-mens-...sleeve-jersey/

Fit is excellent, it's durable, breathable, light, dries quickly, has nice pockets that are easy to reach but hold firm so keys and goodies don't bounce around, etc. I know one of these is 6 or 7 times as expensive as a ****ty generic ebay jersey, but it's worth it to me.
Old 05-29-19, 10:43 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3190 Post(s)
Liked 2,460 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan333SP
Was given one of these as a gift not too long ago, and I don't get the hype. IMO the material doesn't have a great feel on your skin. It is very breathable and light, but the fit isn't my favorite either. My team is using this jersey and IMO it's worth every penny-

Fit is excellent, it's durable, breathable, light, dries quickly, has nice pockets that are easy to reach but hold firm so keys and goodies don't bounce around, etc. I know one of these is 6 or 7 times as expensive as a ****ty generic ebay jersey, but it's worth it to me.
What about the C-ville company, Cutaway USA? I don't have any of their cycling stuff, so no experience. Looking at the website, it is on the BIG $ level. Is it good quality? If so, we need to be pimping them hard.
Old 05-29-19, 10:46 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
For $20 I'm willing to try one from Ebay. Links to something good? Full zip, solid colors or tasteful geometrics ( think Rapha.) No cheesy cartoon characters or funny sayings, accurate size chart. Thanks!
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3296...6b643c00RWNKZi
Likes For noodle soup:
Old 05-29-19, 10:58 AM
Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist

Originally Posted by seypat
What about the C-ville company, Cutaway USA? I don't have any of their cycling stuff, so no experience. Looking at the website, it is on the BIG $ level. Is it good quality? If so, we need to be pimping them hard.
My team switched from Cutaway to Vie 13 last year, I still have a ton of Cutaway stuff (and coincidentally had dinner with the founder/owner last night, he's awesome). I'd say their bibs are the best I've ever worn, and the jerseys feel and fit great but the zippers on mine tend to corrode. I do know the current stuff he's making has a new type of zipper so that may be a moot point. Def recommend them if people are looking for higher end stuff designed by a local company.

FWIW, they do manufacture it in Taiwan, if that matters to anyone.
Old 05-29-19, 11:02 AM
seypat

My team switched from Cutaway to Vie 13 last year, I still have a ton of Cutaway stuff (and coincidentally had dinner with the founder/owner last night, he's awesome). I'd say their bibs are the best I've ever worn, and the jerseys feel and fit great but the zippers on mine tend to corrode. I do know the current stuff he's making has a new type of zipper so that may be a moot point. Def recommend them if people are looking for higher end stuff designed by a local company.

FWIW, they do manufacture it in Taiwan, if that matters to anyone.
There it is for the rest of the thread. If you are looking for good quality cycling apparel that is BIG $ level, give them a try.

https://www.cutaway.us/
Old 05-29-19, 11:06 AM
chainwhip

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked 135 Times in 84 Posts
Spexcel, aliexpress, $22USD, patience for package arrival

Great fit/fabric and zipper. Sleeves are a bit longer("aero") with a wider cuff band that's very comfortable.
42"/108cm chest, 190lbs. I bought the XL, chart describes it as "105cm".
Chinese sizing may not accommodate bigger US riders. XXL is their max size,112cm chest.

Caveat:None of my jerseys were bought at more than $60.

Been very pleased with this one:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3282...65323c00WAA5mf

"Free Shipping to US via ePacket.
Expected delivery on 0 6/23."

Last edited by chainwhip; 05-29-19 at 11:10 AM.
Old 05-29-19, 11:12 AM
Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist

There it is for the rest of the thread. If you are looking for good quality cycling apparel that is BIG $ level, give them a try.

Phil (Cutaway owner) is also sponsoring my buddy who is about to do the Trans-Am race, so that's cool-

https://www.styleweekly.com/richmond...t?oid=14615068
Old 05-29-19, 11:29 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 18319 Post(s)
Liked 15,288 Times in 7,227 Posts

"He sure got a purdy mouth, ain't he?"
Old 05-29-19, 11:33 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,645 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
hopefully, the answer isn't "a $100 better zipper"
I have an Arc'teryx jacket, after 8 years of constant use the zipper failed, the slider itself came apart. Otherwise the jacket looked brand new, and functionally it was perfect for me. Cost more than $100 to have the zipper replaced, I used a company that does good work. They haven't made that jacket for years, I couldn't just buy another one.

Anyway, yeah, zippers are important.
Old 05-29-19, 11:33 AM
seypat

Phil (Cutaway owner) is also sponsoring my buddy who is about to do the Trans-Am race, so that's cool-

https://www.styleweekly.com/richmond...t?oid=14615068
I don't know how good of a cyclist your buddy is, but........he could make a good living in a not going to name it industry with that sweet stache and sideburns he is sporting! He would have to be up to the performance standards of course, but he has the look.

I'll be sure to follow him on his journey. That's a good story. Thanks for the link.

What/who is your current team? MTT starts this weekend. The streets will be crowded for a while. I'll be on the lookout for you.
Old 05-29-19, 11:36 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by MSchott
Those look great but you are paying a lot for that great fit. A lot.
Sale prices are competitive with anything else out there.

Monzamilano 1.24 - $70
https://chpt3.com/collections/sale/p...nt=52717577540

Onemorelap 1.22 - $89
https://chpt3.com/collections/sale/p...nt=39293998852

-Tim-

Last edited by TimothyH; 05-29-19 at 11:42 AM.
Old 05-29-19, 11:39 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts

This is absolutely not intended to be a knock (their stuff does look nice), but this made me lol -

Available Sizes - 5XS to 5XL
On one hand, it's absurd. On the other, it seems like it might make sense.
Old 05-29-19, 11:59 AM
Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist

I don't know how good of a cyclist your buddy is, but........he could make a good living in a not going to name it industry with that sweet stache and sideburns he is sporting! He would have to be up to the performance standards of course, but he has the look.

I'll be sure to follow him on his journey. That's a good story. Thanks for the link.

What/who is your current team? MTT starts this weekend. The streets will be crowded for a while. I'll be on the lookout for you.

Current team is called Sweet Spot Cycling, they run a bike trainer studio in Lakeside. The owner won Cross Nationals in his age group last year so at least one of us isn't a wannabe! I'm actually doing Bike MS this weekend from Varina out to Williamsburg and back, should be a lot of riders out that way all weekend.
Old 05-29-19, 12:00 PM
Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist

Originally Posted by indyfabz
"He sure got a purdy mouth, ain't he?"

My buddy who wears one of these regularly is also a talented banjo player, so...
Old 05-29-19, 12:30 PM
cthenn

Bikes: 2023 Canyon Aeoroad CF SL, 2015 Trek Emonda SLR, 2002 Litespeed Classic, 2005 Bianchi Pista, Some BikesDirect MTB I never ride.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 647 Post(s)
Liked 135 Times in 88 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
For $20 I'm willing to try one from Ebay. Links to something good? Full zip, solid colors or tasteful geometrics ( think Rapha.) No cheesy cartoon characters or funny sayings, accurate size chart. Thanks!
Edit, I guess these aren't ebay, but Aliexpress is a safe website to order from.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2019...65734c4du6rb8A
This one is very fitted, extremely stretchy, and has longer sleeves. Minimal collar for those who hate crappy collars, haha! No logos! Also uses that "snakeskin" (I don't know what to call it) pattern lightweight fabric on the arms and sides. This is my new go-to cheapo jersey.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Sedr...27424c4dcfxubn
These are also pretty good, the fit is a little looser (but still fitted), uses the older style, less stretchy fabric with shorter sleeves. A bit hotter than the above jersey style. Some of these are ugly, but others have a decent pattern on it. Most of these have some kind of logo, but it's not very obtrusive IMO. I've not seen these priced this low before...crazy cheap!

I've bought several of both of these styles, and they are very well made. No fading, no rips, tears, loose stitching, etc. Zippers all work fine still. I still like my brand name stuff, but these are more than acceptable.
Likes For cthenn:
Old 05-29-19, 12:39 PM
voyager1

Bikes: 2018 Trek Domane SL5

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I think these threads about cost of things are just silly. You need to find what fits you. I find Bontrager Bibs fit good and Primal jerseys. Would love to try a Castelli or Rapha but they are not available to try on.

I would prefer if companies could do sizing that makes sense . I shouldn’t be a Large in one brand, XL in another and XXL in another.
Old 05-29-19, 01:06 PM
shuilong

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm quite late to the discussion but I wanted to answer the original question with an input about my two most expensive jerseys. One is a Sportful Celsius and the other is a Le Col Hors Categorie Hex

Sportful R&D Celsius MSRP $143.99
​​​​​
These are designed for all day riding when it starts cold and becomes warm or hot later in the day. Sounds perfect for a mountain ride where the base is much cooler than the higher elevation areas. The price point comes into play because it's part of Sportful's Research and Development sector that spent years into making a jersey that otherwise seemed impossible. How do you create a jersey that can keep you warm when it's cool but still keep you cool when it's warm?

The SS18 version is on sale now for around $85 with additional discounts around 20%, more or less depending on the outlet. Just like the rest of their jerseys these are race day fit with tight sleeves, shallow pockets that are tight to the body, and a high quality zipper. Do they perform as described? Somewhat, but really I just find them to be warm. Not hot and not cool, just somewhere in the middle. I mostly use it in the wet.

Le Col Hors Categorie Hex MSRP $189.39/£150

THIS was a waste of money. THIS is the kind of jersey that just says I have money and don't know how to spend it.

Where to begin? These are advertised as a top level race day jersey with none other than five time Olympic gold medalist and world champion Sir Bradley Wiggins himself wearing them. Race jerseys fit tightly to avoid drag. Race day jerseys have shallow pockets because riders aren't shoving teddy bears and souvenirs inside them. Race day jerseys are made from lightweight breathable material because typically the rider is sweating profusely either over a long distance or a quick short distance.

This jersey failed on all aspects. The torso is loose, and checking other reviews this doesn't seem uncommon. The arms have an obscene amount of silicone grippers for some reason. Huge deep pockets in the back that fit my entire arm in each of them. And the material is like nothing I've seen on any other jersey, it's heavier and less breathable than expected. I would buy this product if it was on sale for $35, and then wear it once a month just to look like a posh butthead.

Conclusion, more expensive jerseys cost what they do in order to give racers a competitive advantage, albeit miniscule. $25 jerseys can do the job. My POC Fondo Light has an MSRP of $130 but was on sale for $30, I call it cheap because it's just an overpriced version of some generic jerseys I've worn. I've had a spill in my Sportful jerseys over gravel and the clothing surprisingly didn't rip. My POC had one spill and it was completely ruined from the arms all the way up the collar. Less durable material. You really get what you pay for. Usually. Unless you don't.
Old 05-29-19, 02:46 PM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 276 Times in 144 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
Sale prices are competitive with anything else out there.

Monzamilano 1.24 - $70
https://chpt3.com/collections/sale/p...nt=52717577540

Onemorelap 1.22 - $89
https://chpt3.com/collections/sale/p...nt=39293998852

-Tim-
How are the shipping prices and lead times?
Old 05-29-19, 03:29 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Proper decorum clearly states that one must be wearing a BIG $ Jersey to attempt the bidon flip. I'm guessing it's the same for the back bottle balance as well. If you are trying to get noticed, a Cheap @ss jersey won't do.
EXCEPT, when you have mastered the bidon flip as a form of mockery of the more serious cyclists. Which I mean euphemistically.
Old 05-29-19, 04:17 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by tagaproject6
How are the shipping prices and lead times?
I've not ordered direct from CHPT3

The products I've purchased were from Sigma Sports. Shipping time was reasonable but they charge $12 flat rate.

-Tim-
Old 05-29-19, 04:17 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,645 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
Chapter III is where it's at now.

Fabric is second to none and they use actual chest sizes in one inch increments - 38, 39, 40 and so forth. Fit is perfect - not loose but not painted on either.

Unlike some brands (Assos, a-hem) with frighteningly delicate zippers, those on Chapter III jerseys are substantial. They don't feel like they are going to break every time they are touched.

Lots of small details and classy styling, not gaudy or cartoonish like some of the latest style du jour. I could name names

Patient shoppers can find them at very deep discount. I got a Forbici 1.25 for $89 last September. I want a 1.28 Milan San Remo.

The Chapter III website has some stuff on sale right now including the OneMoreLap 1.22 for about $89 and the MonzaMilano for $70, depending on exchange rate.

-Tim-
Always appreciate your tips.

I don't carry cargo when I ride. Sometimes I'm out for a while, conditions can change, and I need to get it right before I leave. If you're not just riding around the neighborhood a good clothes are important.
Old 05-29-19, 05:16 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by atjurhs
hi guys,

i gotta wonder why pay BIG $ for a jersey? there are plenty of nice looking jerseys on eBay for $20, and then there are those that cost $140
One word: snob appeal.

Seriously, there's always a point of diminishing return that you need to learn and hopefully live by. With shorts, that's about $60. After that the quality curve take a sharp down turn and the rest is just name.

The only way I'd pay big money for a jersey would be if it were unique or of a limited edition. Even then I doubt if I'd go over $100 for it.
Old 05-29-19, 05:26 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1722 Post(s)
Liked 1,272 Times in 734 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL
One word: snob appeal.

Seriously, there's always a point of diminishing return that you need to learn and hopefully live by. With shorts, that's about $60. After that the quality curve take a sharp down turn and the rest is just name.
Sorry but that's just wrong. I've worn many, many different brands over the past 40+ yrs. Assos bibs are by far the best fitting and I love the quality. Others may differ. FWIW, I won't pay more that $125 for bibs but they are worth every cent.
Old 05-29-19, 05:41 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce19
Sorry but that's just wrong. I've worn many, many different brands over the past 40+ yrs. Assos bibs are by far the best fitting and I love the quality. Others may differ. FWIW, I won't pay more that $125 for bibs but they are worth every cent.
Shorts only Jeeves. I've worn from $30-$85. And although the more expensive ones felt great (mostly due to more panels) they weren't anymore supportive nor durable than their $40 equivalents.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.