Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

New Shimano Ultegra R8000 disc rotor noise

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-19, 10:17 AM
robdgster

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello,

I recently updated my Giant Defy (2018 model) wheelset to Mavic Ksyrium UST elite wheels with Shimano Ultegra R8000 disc rotors. I attempted to bed-in the new disc rotors on my first ride with them.

However I’m noticing a bit of “tinny metallic” sounding noise with what “I think” is coming from the front disc rotor. It seems to be most noticeable when I’m at speed, especially when I’m shifting my weight from side to side.

I pointed this out at a service with my LBS last week and they said they would look at them, but nothing has changed when I got the bike back.

Not sure what it is? New rotors need bedded-in more?

Thanks for any help,

Rob
Old 08-25-19, 10:20 AM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Bikes: Giant Quasar & Fuji Roubaix

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 244 Posts
What pads are you running?
Old 08-25-19, 10:29 AM
robdgster

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bigbus
What pads are you running?
I think there the default pads that come with Giant Conduct Hydraulic Disc brakes. I’m having no noise with normal wheeling & braking.
Old 08-25-19, 02:58 PM
August West

Bikes: Domane SLR7 Project One

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 105 Posts
With the new wheels the rotor(s) is probably not exactly centered between the pads in the caliper causing a slight rub. If you aren't going to be swapping out wheels you can just realign the caliper on the offending rotor. Lots of YouTube vids on how to do it (very easy). If you want to swap the new and old wheels out from time to time you will need to shim one of the rotors out so they are both centered in the caliper. Note, you can only shim the rotor outward and not inward so you will need to see which rotor is sitting the farthest to the outside and shim the other one to match it. Might or might not have to align the caliper in this case.

Shims

Old 08-27-19, 03:22 PM
jmess

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Alignment tool

This tool works pretty well for aligning the calipers when swapping wheels unless one of the rotors is bent. You slightly loosen the caliper bolts and slide the shims between the rotor and the pads. I squeeze the brake while tightening the caliper mount bolts. Seems to work well. Also as the brake pads wear down the need to recenter the calipers is reduced, more of an issue with newer pads.

The Hayes Feel'r Gauge Disc Brake Alignment Tool is easy to use and delivers perfect alignment every time. Insert the steel shims on either side of the disk to achieve appropriate pad spacing; make sure the caliper is parallel with the rotor.

Old 08-27-19, 04:09 PM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Bikes: Giant Quasar & Fuji Roubaix

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 244 Posts
Originally Posted by jmess
This tool works pretty well for aligning the calipers when swapping wheels unless one of the rotors is bent. You slightly loosen the caliper bolts and slide the shims between the rotor and the pads. I squeeze the brake while tightening the caliper mount bolts. Seems to work well. Also as the brake pads wear down the need to recenter the calipers is reduced, more of an issue with newer pads.

The Hayes Feel'r Gauge Disc Brake Alignment Tool is easy to use and delivers perfect alignment every time. Insert the steel shims on either side of the disk to achieve appropriate pad spacing; make sure the caliper is parallel with the rotor.

I've always just loosened the bolts, squeezed the brake lightly, held the brake and re-tightened. I'm not sure what the neat looking tool is really for. Once the caliper is adjusted, you simply use the nut on the cable to set how much play you want in your brakes, which is basically how much room between the pad and rotor you like.
Old 08-27-19, 05:11 PM
CarloM

Bikes: 2019 TCR Advanced SL1 Disc; 2018 Cervelo S3 SRAM eTap HRD; 2020 Giant Revolt Advanced

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 100 Posts
I had the tiniest bit of rotor rub on my rear hydro brake on my TCR Adv SL1 I took ownership of last week. Fix was super-easy, after I confirmed that the rotor was true (it was). I followed the same procedure Bigbus noted above, no tool necessary outside of the hex wrench to loosen the bolts that attach the brake to the frame (I think it was 4mm but I may be wrong).

If a video is helpful, go to the 2m55s mark of this video:

Old 08-27-19, 09:26 PM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
Check the spokes.
Old 09-26-19, 05:31 PM
Lars Halstrom

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Here is a source for shims I just found. https://boydcycling.com/search?q=shims+
Old 09-26-19, 08:20 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
Originally Posted by jmess

I love absolutes in marketing blurbs Andy
Old 09-27-19, 08:46 AM
jp911

Bikes: Trek Madone 5.2 Dura Ace, Niner RLT9 aluminum, Santa Cruz 5010 CC, Niner Air 9 rigid 29er, Trek Farley alloy

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 36 Posts
I had this issue on my gravel bike (Niner RLT9). Thought it might be the fork flexing or spoke tension because it was pronounced when I was standing and cranking hard on steep climbs, but it ended up being a combination of flex in the system + the caliper pistons not retracting far enough. I opened the bleed cap on the brake lever and then pressed the pistons flush with the caliper using a plastic tire lever (wheel and pads removed). You'll need to mess with the lever reach and stroke afterward, but it solved the problem.