Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Suspension seat posts. Anyone else have one? Do they effect overall efficiency?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-19, 07:42 PM
xroadcharlie

Bikes: 2018 Giant Sedona

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 95 Posts

I bought a comfort bike last year with one of those suspension seat posts. It's nothing more then a spring in two steel tubes with a preload adjustment. I'm wondering what effect it has on efficiency.

Since it's always appling preasure, If I peddle hard, up goes the seat and when it moves, the distance to the peddle changes. That can't be good. And when riding over a small ramp where a driveway meets the sidewalk, It bounces me nearly off the seat if I'm going fast. It's almost comical sometimes. But it does do a lot to improve comfort. I wonder if it is worth the tradeoff for efficiency.

General comments on these suspension seat posts are welcome too.

Last edited by xroadcharlie; 09-06-19 at 07:27 AM.
Old 09-05-19, 09:06 PM
FrenchFit 
The Left Coast, USA

Bikes: Bulls, Bianchi, Koga, Trek, Miyata

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
There are different designs, like the thudbuster I use on my heavy upright bikes and rigid MTB. The problem can be -- you pay with a weight penalty. As far as pedaling efficiency, they work great if you set them up correctly.

https://www.canecreek.com/products/seatposts/
Old 09-05-19, 10:40 PM
pdoege

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I use Ergon CF3s on my bikes. I'm sure that I lose efficiency, but my limiting factor on long rides is comfort.
Old 09-06-19, 03:13 AM
xroadcharlie

Thanks for the replies.

I have the spring's preload set to the lower end of the recommendedend .5 to.75" compression and for the most part I hardly know it's there.

It is surprisingly stable for a low end suspension post of the most basic design. But on a heavy comfort bike I suppose some margin of error isn't an issue.

Since the bike came with it I don't know how important it is for overall comfort. I know it's working on the big bumps, which I have plenty of on my ride. I might try a rigid post just to compare.
Old 09-06-19, 05:00 AM
Stormsedge

Bikes: 2017 Trek Domane SL6 Disc, 1990 Schwinn Crosscut Frankenroadbike, 2015 KHS Team 29 FS, 2000 Gary Fisher Tassajara--gone but not forgotten

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 30 Posts
I have an inexpensive (spring type) on my hybrid and an old rubber pellet type on the hard tail I just passed to my grandson...I like both. My spring type had some flex when I first set it up, which I remedied by tightening all the screws on the post.
Old 09-06-19, 05:21 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
I had one on a bike I bought many years ago. I don't know if it's still true, but the springed ones from that era would wear out.
Old 09-06-19, 06:56 AM
WarrenR

Bikes: 2005 Peugeot Evasion 2019 Trek Verve

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 17 Posts
Both of my bikes came with suspension posts. To be honest I don't ever think about it. I've never played with the settings but they are both set so stiff it doesn't move much when I put my weight on it and I weigh around 200 lbs. I set my seat height while sitting on it so that should be alright. I have hit one or two hard jolts over the years that did remind me what it is good for!
Old 09-06-19, 07:18 AM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
Originally Posted by xroadcharlie
And when riding over a small ramp where a driveway meets the sidewalk, It bounces me nearly off the seat if I'm going fast. It's almost comical sometimes. But it does do a lot to improve comfort. I wonder if it is worth the tradeoff for efficiency.
My fixed seat post bikes will do that if I don't get off the seat while going over certain "terrain".

I experienced it again yesterday as I went over what appeared to be a smooth pavement transition, which was not the case when I rode over it. The seat pounded me up the keister but good. Next time around I got off the seat and all was okay.
Old 09-06-19, 08:12 AM
blue192

Bikes: Norco Scene 1, Khs Westwood, Jamis Allegro 3x

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 47 Posts
I also recommend the thud buster compared to the seat post comfort bikes come with.
Old 09-06-19, 08:31 AM
subgrade

Bikes: Focus Crater Lake

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 337 Times in 204 Posts
My previous bike came with one, the telescopic springed type. It wore out in a couple years time so that there was a noticeable play in the stanchion. I replaced it with a regular rigid seatpost and haven't felt the need for a suspension seatpost ever since. From what I recall, the most differnce I felt was only when mounting and dismounting, but not much while riding, not in the way of added comfort nor reduced efficiency (could be though that I didn't think much about efficiency at the time).
Old 09-06-19, 09:40 AM
Tamiya

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Springy seatpost arrived as std kit on a Giant Elwood SE.

It seems to do a decent job... nothing to complain about, it's not worn wobbly nor affect pedalling action much afaik... it's an upright city bike anyways.

There are other things I'd complain about first like why does front tyre hit my shoe/foot with pedal stroked forwards? And this "SE" fancier model comes with suspension fork... grrr horrid sloppy weighty things. And which idiot spec'd cloth upholstery insert on the saddle... it soaks up every raindrop, ready to tamp your pants wet after the rain clouds have cleared.
Likes For Tamiya:
Old 09-06-19, 09:45 AM
xroadcharlie

I see there are a few different designs of suspension seatpost. I might try one of them if mine wears out. Although the stock unit is the most basic design spring/tube design, It seems to work well enough for a comfort bike.

I had looked at the Thudbuster before after reading how important the seatpost is with respect to overall bike compliance and was quite intrigued. It seems that supple wider tires are the first step and a close 2'nd is a good seatpost (not necessarily one with active suspension).

Perhaps suspension forks would help too, But they are much more complex to change then a seatpost or tires on a rigid fork bike. My LBS suggested against it, because it would change the geometry of the bike, Which was surprising considering I would have paid them to do it.

Last edited by xroadcharlie; 09-06-19 at 01:34 PM.
Old 09-06-19, 02:29 PM
Tamiya

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
I would prefer a solid seat post and top it with a nice sprung Brooks saddle simple, elegant & comfy

The other drawback with squishy seatpost is you'd lose 2-3" of length that can't slide into the frame. Less flexibility if ever you need the seat lowered as much as possible for somebody petite.
Old 09-06-19, 04:19 PM
coffeesnob

Bikes: Trek DS 8.3 - cannondale M500

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 2634 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 82 Posts
Originally Posted by Tamiya
I would prefer a solid seat post and top it with a nice sprung Brooks saddle simple, elegant & comfy

The other drawback with squishy seatpost is you'd lose 2-3" of length that can't slide into the frame. Less flexibility if ever you need the seat lowered as much as possible for somebody petite.
I have an airwing seat post I don't even notice it going up or down although I know it does. It came with the bike. It was on a used bike I bought and was just a little bit too high but it would not go down any further so I had to put that post on my other bike so It would fit me better.
Old 09-06-19, 07:33 PM
robnol
Banned

Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by xroadcharlie
I bought a comfort bike last year with one of those suspension seat posts. It's nothing more then a spring in two steel tubes with a preload adjustment. I'm wondering what effect it has on efficiency.

Since it's always appling preasure, If I peddle hard, up goes the seat and when it moves, the distance to the peddle changes. That can't be good. And when riding over a small ramp where a driveway meets the sidewalk, It bounces me nearly off the seat if I'm going fast. It's almost comical sometimes. But it does do a lot to improve comfort. I wonder if it is worth the tradeoff for efficiency.

General comments on these suspension seat posts are welcome too.
they work well not the lightest thing ...but for a smoother ride its a good thing
Old 09-06-19, 08:31 PM
xroadcharlie

I don't know how heavy the seat post itself is, But this comfort bike weighs about 31 lbs. Combined with 26 x 1.95" medium tread tires makes for a good exercise bike. It takes a lot of power to motivate. I traded bikes with a friend who has a light fast road bike and he was really surprised at how hard this bike is to peddle. Oddly it seems to coast just fine.

Wear seems to be an issue with some of these. If I can get a few years out of it I'll be happy. I will try one of the more advanced ones next time. I checked the tension and it still seems strong, But I've only got 1,500 km on this post since I bought it last year.

Thanks again for your comments and suggestions. All are good points.

I never considered the 2 - 3" of seat post that is lost for insertion into the tube with one of these spring type suspension posts as Tamiya pointed out. As it turns out this comfort bike is built around a mountain bike frame, So it has a very short seat tube (15" for small). Lots of room their, Even for my short 28" inseam.
Old 09-07-19, 12:01 AM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
I tried a few, along with springy seats, and i just never looked back. Cycling is supposed to be enjoyable! I couldn't care less for the endless, tail-chasing fight against a stopwatch when it means i'm enjoying a comfortable ride. But that aside i believe you can do both.

The best was an all-metal one which worked so smoothly, but it was on an ex's bike... Trying to replace it was a nightmare because they all seemed to have nylon guides, which i found can be a little sticky (the ones without rubber boots the worst).

Using a springy seat with one on a cruiser is bliss, can barely feel the ground...

Telescopic ones are fine for those who sit fairly upright, but for drop bars you'd want a multi-link design.