Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Equipment/Product Review (1980) Bench Testing Rear Derailleurs

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 10-13-19, 01:45 PM
SpeedofLite 

Bikes: Litespeed (9); Slingshot (9); Specialized (3); Kestrel (2); Cervelo (1); FELT (1); Trek (2)

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 433 Post(s)
Liked 3,443 Times in 994 Posts

This post presents the first in a series of 3 articles in which rear derailleurs, front derailleurs, and shift levers are subjected to bench testing and compared.

WTB: Bike World issue Jun 1974.

Old 10-13-19, 02:43 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5885 Post(s)
Liked 3,468 Times in 2,078 Posts
Oh man, C&V could spend a long time arguing the pluses and minuses of these derailleurs.

Old 10-13-19, 03:35 PM
Vintage Schwinn

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 257 Posts
It was old news that most all Campagnolo, Huret, and Simplex, rear derailleurs WERE JUNK compared to Shimano and Maeda SunTour, by the time in 1979 that this article was written. SHIMANO HAD QUALITY ENGINEERING IN EVERY REAR DERAILLEUR. Low priced, bottom line SHIMANO rear derailleurs shifted flawlessly, as did every other unit across their spectrum of product offerings.
It was no secret that the no-name import 10 speed that you'd buy at Kmart beginning in about 1972, did have a much better quality rear derailleur than what was seen on the finest expensive Italian, English, and French 10 speeds of 1972 and for many years after. The lowest line Shimano Eagle and Shimano Skylark rear derailleurs were on all those very inexpensive K-mart 10 speeds. Sure, those rear derailleurs weigh about 360 grams or so, but they worked perfectly and flawlessly which was not the case for the infamous Campagnolo units, and Simplex models, and Huret units, most particularly the Huret Allvit, which was fitted to so many "decent" bikes.
Folks that were riding 10 speeds in 1973 and 1974, instinctively saw that the SHIMANO rear derailleur on their buddy's or their sister's el-cheapo Kmart 10 speed was so much better than the unit that was seen on their own European "quality" ten speed that was four times the cost of the $83 Kmart 10 speed. You could not help but notice if you just test rode any bicycle so equipped with SHIMANO at that time, no matter how el-cheapo and no-name that 10 speed might have been.
Schwinn folks were certainly becoming hip to the realization that the GT-120 ( first seen on the 1974 Collegiate and 1974 FIVE speed SUBURBAN) was light years better than the HURET ALLVIT schwinn approved rear derailleur that was STILL FACTORY EQUIPMENT on Continental/VARSITY/Suburban ten speeds.
Folks already knew that the earlier GT-100 (the first shimano built rear derailleur for Schwinn first seen on 1970 COLLEGIATE and 1970 Suburban FIVE SPEEDs)
The March 1970 Bicycling magazine has an article on the GT-100 rear derailleur calling it the most durable of any to date, at that point in time.
That GT-100 was Shimano quality in a sort of ALLVIT meets LARK packaging that Schwinn engineering wanted. Shimano got the message of the cable saver and bash guard features that Schwinn engineers thought added ruggedness and operational durability should you have the gorilla from the American Tourister/Samsonite luggage tv commercials, beginning to ride and own a 10 speed. For those of you under 60 years old, those tv commercials were just the suitcases in a cage with a giant gorilla that attempted to destroy them in every way possible, a very memorable tv commercial. Schwinn engineers thought that teenaged riders would be as rough as the gorilla, and probably about as careful and intelligent too.
Call it what you want, but the Japanese just destroyed the Italians, and French with their far superior rear derailleurs that worked so much better. They took existing designs and just took it to a level that was not seen before. If you're also beyond 60 years old, you will certainly remember that the Japanese wiped the old guard electronics, radio-stereo and tv manufacturers out with substantial product innovations in the mid to late sixties. SONY's Trinitron ('68) made other existing color tv technology immediately obsolete, and SONY , the one and only and Matsu****a's NATIONAL/Panasonic was just slightly ahead of their time. Nobody came close to them between 1965 and 1980! SONY and Panasonic/Technics(name seen from '75 onward on hi-fi stereo gear) were unbeatable because they were that much better than everyone else. SHIMANO and Maeda-SUNTOUR were the Sony and Panasonic equivalent in the bicycle equipment during the Seventies.
Every thing else in terms of rear derailleurs, from that time period by comparison is JUNK, even if it has the cool looking Campagnolo, Huret or Simplex piece of __ .
Old 10-13-19, 05:18 PM
big chainring 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 350 Posts
^OK then^
I'm old school. Still dont use japanese derailleurs and just dont like Shimano. Swapped the SunTour Cyclone for the much better shifting Simplex on my Super Course.
Likes For big chainring:
Old 10-13-19, 05:59 PM
crank_addict
Banned

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1361 Post(s)
Liked 422 Times in 282 Posts
Thanks for posting the article- good read.

Not much interest in old Shimano, and will go out of my way to swap to early Suntour + freewheels.

Funny, not sure when the steel Campy Velox ended but they always seem to work without fuss and are TOUGH, rarely wear out pivots. Can be setup to take a wide range ratio. Exception for the crap pulleys.

Campagnolo will always get the nod of approval for character and style, though need to be used with patience and finesse. Long cage jobbies are not something I desire. Tried a N.Record long cage that was was pretty fresh but it lacked precise shifts, required over lever action with great caution.

Huret had some gems. These days I have more interest in them over Campagnolo. Bored with Campy and even with the reliable Suntour. Jubilee stuff is pretty and svelte - work quite well.

A few goodies from Simplex like the 6xx series - nice shifter, reliable except for pivot springs. A big pass on any Delrin experiments.

Lastly and jumping to modern. You would think today Shimano has the entire offering dialed in. Not so. (Psss.. The Shimano Claris is nit picky and almost all I know having complain of constant needed adjustments.) Not trying to diss the maker as I really do love my modern atb full XT however expect flawless and reliable shift systems, even with the low end series.
Old 10-13-19, 06:30 PM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1635 Post(s)
Liked 823 Times in 532 Posts
Originally Posted by Vintage Schwinn
It was old news that most all Campagnolo, Huret, and Simplex, rear derailleurs WERE JUNK compared to Shimano and Maeda SunTour, by the time in 1979 that this article was written. SHIMANO HAD QUALITY ENGINEERING IN EVERY REAR DERAILLEUR. Low priced, bottom line SHIMANO rear derailleurs shifted flawlessly, as did every other unit across their spectrum of product offerings.
It was no secret that the no-name import 10 speed that you'd buy at Kmart beginning in about 1972, did have a much better quality rear derailleur than what was seen on the finest expensive Italian, English, and French 10 speeds of 1972 and for many years after. The lowest line Shimano Eagle and Shimano Skylark rear derailleurs were on all those very inexpensive K-mart 10 speeds. Sure, those rear derailleurs weigh about 360 grams or so, but they worked perfectly and flawlessly which was not the case for the infamous Campagnolo units, and Simplex models, and Huret units, most particularly the Huret Allvit, which was fitted to so many "decent" bikes.
Folks that were riding 10 speeds in 1973 and 1974, instinctively saw that the SHIMANO rear derailleur on their buddy's or their sister's el-cheapo Kmart 10 speed was so much better than the unit that was seen on their own European "quality" ten speed that was four times the cost of the $83 Kmart 10 speed. You could not help but notice if you just test rode any bicycle so equipped with SHIMANO at that time, no matter how el-cheapo and no-name that 10 speed might have been.
Schwinn folks were certainly becoming hip to the realization that the GT-120 ( first seen on the 1974 Collegiate and 1974 FIVE speed SUBURBAN) was light years better than the HURET ALLVIT schwinn approved rear derailleur that was STILL FACTORY EQUIPMENT on Continental/VARSITY/Suburban ten speeds.
Folks already knew that the earlier GT-100 (the first shimano built rear derailleur for Schwinn first seen on 1970 COLLEGIATE and 1970 Suburban FIVE SPEEDs)
The March 1970 Bicycling magazine has an article on the GT-100 rear derailleur calling it the most durable of any to date, at that point in time.
That GT-100 was Shimano quality in a sort of ALLVIT meets LARK packaging that Schwinn engineering wanted. Shimano got the message of the cable saver and bash guard features that Schwinn engineers thought added ruggedness and operational durability should you have the gorilla from the American Tourister/Samsonite luggage tv commercials, beginning to ride and own a 10 speed. For those of you under 60 years old, those tv commercials were just the suitcases in a cage with a giant gorilla that attempted to destroy them in every way possible, a very memorable tv commercial. Schwinn engineers thought that teenaged riders would be as rough as the gorilla, and probably about as careful and intelligent too.
Call it what you want, but the Japanese just destroyed the Italians, and French with their far superior rear derailleurs that worked so much better. They took existing designs and just took it to a level that was not seen before. If you're also beyond 60 years old, you will certainly remember that the Japanese wiped the old guard electronics, radio-stereo and tv manufacturers out with substantial product innovations in the mid to late sixties. SONY's Trinitron ('68) made other existing color tv technology immediately obsolete, and SONY , the one and only and Matsu****a's NATIONAL/Panasonic was just slightly ahead of their time. Nobody came close to them between 1965 and 1980! SONY and Panasonic/Technics(name seen from '75 onward on hi-fi stereo gear) were unbeatable because they were that much better than everyone else. SHIMANO and Maeda-SUNTOUR were the Sony and Panasonic equivalent in the bicycle equipment during the Seventies.
Every thing else in terms of rear derailleurs, from that time period by comparison is JUNK, even if it has the cool looking Campagnolo, Huret or Simplex piece of __ .
Simplex was actually getting much better around that time, as I think that's when they adopted the dropped top pivot parallelogram RD design. and was phasing out their slower shifting straight parallelogram RDs. I don't think they ever did adopt the still better shifting, dropped top pivot/slant parallelogram design that Suntour and Shimano had though. But at least they were smart enough to update their RDs soon enough, and leave Campy in the dust in the early to mid 80's with their better shifting (and also getting rid of most of the Delrin material in them).
Old 10-13-19, 06:35 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5885 Post(s)
Liked 3,468 Times in 2,078 Posts
Originally Posted by crank_addict
Thanks for posting the article- good read.

Not much interest in old Shimano, and will go out of my way to swap to early Suntour + freewheels.

Funny, not sure when the steel Campy Velox ended but they always seem to work without fuss and are TOUGH, rarely wear out pivots. Can be setup to take a wide range ratio. Exception for the crap pulleys.

Campagnolo will always get the nod of approval for character and style, though need to be used with patience and finesse. Long cage jobbies are not something I desire. Tried a N.Record long cage that was was pretty fresh but it lacked precise shifts, required over lever action with great caution.

Huret had some gems. These days I have more interest in them over Campagnolo. Bored with Campy and even with the reliable Suntour. Jubilee stuff is pretty and svelte - work quite well.

A few goodies from Simplex like the 6xx series - nice shifter, reliable except for pivot springs. A big pass on any Delrin experiments.

Lastly and jumping to modern. You would think today Shimano has the entire offering dialed in. Not so. (Psss.. The Shimano Claris is nit picky and almost all I know having complain of constant needed adjustments.) Not trying to diss the maker as I really do love my modern atb full XT however expect flawless and reliable shift systems, even with the low end series.
I really like shimano claris! I picked up a claris brifter group cheap on BF and it has been a flawless performer.
Old 10-13-19, 07:44 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
Classic Frank Berto!
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Likes For ThermionicScott:
Old 10-13-19, 08:09 PM
cpach

Bikes: Too many. Giant Trance X 29, Surly Midnight Special get the most time.

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 236 Posts
Sweet article, lots of information! Serious research. I had a reasonable idea of how vintage Campagnolo, Shimano, and Suntour stacked up at various time periods, but cool info about the other European manufacturers.