Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Trek Sensor computer wheel size

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-19, 10:33 PM
rseeker

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 104 Posts

I have this old Trek Sensor computer. Any idea how big it thinks my wheels are, used to calculate distance? (I don't see a way to tell it.)

Old 10-21-19, 02:59 AM
Pompiere

Bikes: 1984 Miyata 310, 1986 Schwinn Sierra, 2011 Jamis Quest, 1980 Peugeot TH8 Tandem, 1992 Performance Parabola, 1987 Ross Mt. Hood, 1988 Schwinn LeTour, 1988 Trek 400T, 1981 Fuji S12-S LTD, 197? FW Evans

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 1,005 Times in 514 Posts
Usually, when you remove the battery, the computer resets and will walk through the setup when it powers up. Most of them use the wheel circumference to compensate for different tire sizes. The simple way to measure circumference is to put a mark on the floor and the tire, roll forward until the mark on the tire reaches the floor again, and measure.
Likes For Pompiere:
Old 10-21-19, 03:46 AM
ridelikeaturtle

Bikes: Bianchi Ti Megatube; Colnago Competition; Planet-X EC-130E; Klein Pulse; Amp Research B4; Litespeed Catalyst; Trek Y11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 480 Times in 260 Posts
Originally Posted by Pompiere
Usually, when you remove the battery, the computer resets and will walk through the setup when it powers up. Most of them use the wheel circumference to compensate for different tire sizes. The simple way to measure circumference is to put a mark on the floor and the tire, roll forward until the mark on the tire reaches the floor again, and measure.
^ this.

Just to add, it's normally measured and entered in millimeters, something like 2115 (=2.115 meters) etc.
Old 10-21-19, 04:01 AM
Prowler 

Bikes: 2 Trek Mtn, Cannondale R600 road, 6 vintage road bikes

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 1,028 Times in 404 Posts
I shudder to suggest folks read the instructions but, when I had one of these a few years ago, I found the manual someplace on line and printed it (PRINTED it!!!!!! How 1940s). As I have 8 or 9 different cycle computers I have to print out one for each. They're all a bit different.
Old 10-21-19, 04:50 AM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
Originally Posted by Pompiere
Being something of a detail nerd I usually enlist my wife to aid in this procedure. Set the Mark, make sure the tire is inflated to you normal pressure, I sit on the bike and roll forward and then measure again when the Mark comes around. Weight and deflection introduce a minor difference that increases over long rides.

Told you I was a detail nerd.
Old 10-21-19, 07:33 AM
Chuckk
Groupetto Dragon-Ass

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Liked 786 Times in 371 Posts
Google is always your friend - Looks like a rebranded Avocet to me, and you can't beat that.
Likes For Chuckk:
Old 10-21-19, 01:26 PM
rseeker

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 104 Posts
Thanks everybody, and especially for the scanned manual @Chuckk .

I did try a web search but came up empty. I was using DuckDuckGo though, so for due diligience I tried Google and again came up with a lot of results that didn't match. It turns out Trek has had many computers called Sensor but they're not all the same. I found one result on Scribd that looks like a match, but first they wanted my email, and I said OK, then they wanted me to sign up for a "free trial" recurring monthly $9.99 membership, which I'd then have to go to war with them to cancel. So, not doing that.

I tried the remove the battery thing but mine just comes back up to operational mode with all values reset to defaults and no opportunity to enter a wheel size. (There is something that may be a reset switch on the back above and to the right of the battery. I didn't try it because it was labeled ambiguously "AC", but from reading I guess that means "Auto Clear".)

But on a guess I selected the ODOmeter view, then pressed and held the left button, then it showed the wheel distance (2124 as apparent default) and let me enter a new value (2180 in my case). Left button to go from one digit to the next, selected digit shows as blinking, right button to increment the selected digit. Left button on the last digit ends edit mode, and a final left button takes you back to ODO and normal operation.

Last edited by rseeker; 10-21-19 at 02:30 PM.
Likes For rseeker:
Old 10-21-19, 01:49 PM
Pompiere

Bikes: 1984 Miyata 310, 1986 Schwinn Sierra, 2011 Jamis Quest, 1980 Peugeot TH8 Tandem, 1992 Performance Parabola, 1987 Ross Mt. Hood, 1988 Schwinn LeTour, 1988 Trek 400T, 1981 Fuji S12-S LTD, 197? FW Evans

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 1,005 Times in 514 Posts
Originally Posted by Prowler
I shudder to suggest folks read the instructions but, when I had one of these a few years ago, I found the manual someplace on line and printed it (PRINTED it!!!!!! How 1940s). As I have 8 or 9 different cycle computers I have to print out one for each. They're all a bit different.
That's why I switched to a Garmin, too many different computers with different operating procedures. I can switch the Garmin between bikes without re-calibrating.
Old 10-21-19, 02:05 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1491 Post(s)
Liked 1,090 Times in 638 Posts
Sheldon Brown has entire charts of info on the subject. I would be surprised if you don't find what you need there... even with the lack of recent updates.