Old 11-04-07, 03:54 PM
NewportNishiki

Bikes: Nishiki Competition, Kona Coiler

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Question for South Bay Locals

I recently bought a Nishiki Competition with a really cool old shop sticker from Bicycle Way in Torrance. Is this place still around? I found a listing online, however the person on the other end definitely wasnt a bike store.
Thanks
Old 11-04-07, 06:29 PM
yogi13

Bikes: '06 Specialized Allez Expert

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't remember them, but just checked the phone book, no listing in either the white or yellow pages.
Old 11-04-07, 06:34 PM
Dunwood

Bikes: '79 Univega Sport Tour (not stock). Mid 80's Benotto, bring back to life. Mid 80's Univega Alpina Ultima (needs TLC, still built strong). Trek 400. Specialized Globe. DS Expert Ironman. Schwinn World Sport (soon to be a SS).

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That was Fabio Calie' (sp?) Bicycle Way. His first shop was on Calle Mayor and PCH in and around 1973. His second shop was on PCH between Hawthorne and Crenshaw.

He isn't there anymore.
Old 11-04-07, 09:01 PM
NewportNishiki

Bikes: Nishiki Competition, Kona Coiler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yep, thats the name on it. Fabio Calle. Too Bad. Yeah, early seventies is probably the best date im gonna get. Thanks!
Old 11-04-08, 05:08 AM
riocalypso

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I used to train with fabio and his son or nephew francisco, and regurly rode with the group from bicycle way up and down palos verdes. i bought one of his personal old tour de france bicycles, a chrome stello....no idea where they may be...nice folk

fabio must be in his 80's by now...
Likes For riocalypso:
Old 11-04-08, 08:15 AM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
You'll love the Nishiki Competition! I did when I was in college.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 02-24-09, 03:30 PM
cyclelover

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Fabio Calle/Bicyle Way

I too used to train with Fabio Calle and his nephew Francisco on the weekend rides leaving from Bicylce Way on PCH in Torrance. I really learned a lot from Fabio and the bike shop was a great place to hang out and get service and gear.

I saw Fabio last year (2008). He has moved back to Columbia and still rides every day. He's also still involved in cycling and does group rides in his home town.
Likes For cyclelover:
Old 06-18-14, 01:15 PM
timmerbrew

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Bicyle Way Fabio Calle

Originally Posted by riocalypso
I used to train with fabio and his son or nephew francisco, and regurly rode with the group from bicycle way up and down palos verdes. i bought one of his personal old tour de france bicycles, a chrome stello....no idea where they may be...nice folk

fabio must be in his 80's by now...
I used to ride with Fabio around PV, and then we trained for the Great California Land Rush, probably 1985. Redwood City (San Francisco area) to LAX over the weekend. They loaded our bikes in a trailer in the South Bay and brought them up to SF, we stayed overnight in Redwood City and headed out about 4:30am to Santa Cruz, then the next day Santa Cruz to LAX. 220miles, then 230miles... Very fun. Very long time ago. I miss Fabio. He set me up with a Medichi. I still have it.
Likes For timmerbrew:
Old 10-31-18, 09:09 PM
mech986 

Bikes: Italvega Super Speciales and Superlights

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 355 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
I trained with Fabio and the Bicycle Way groups during 1972-73. Bought my 72 Italvega Super Speciale there and my brother purchased his Raleigh Professional there too - we both still have those bikes! Fabio was most kind to us and a whole host of young riders (including future Olympian Paul Deem) who rode and trained with him. I remember his calves seemed like huge tree trunks and he said that was from riding the Columbian mountain ranges and continuing to ride the steep hills of Palos Verdes and Rolling Hills near the shop.
Old 02-15-23, 10:26 AM
Triathlon LAB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bicycle WAY, Fabio Calle, where did we go.

Originally Posted by mech986
I trained with Fabio and the Bicycle Way groups during 1972-73. Bought my 72 Italvega Super Speciale there and my brother purchased his Raleigh Professional there too - we both still have those bikes! Fabio was most kind to us and a whole host of young riders (including future Olympian Paul Deem) who rode and trained with him. I remember his calves seemed like huge tree trunks and he said that was from riding the Columbian mountain ranges and continuing to ride the steep hills of Palos Verdes and Rolling Hills near the shop.
I, Robert Keating, grew up, and worked, around, and for Fabio Calle, and Bicycle Way. Charming Fabio, and Dedicated Francisco, his Nephew, shared well the joy of road cycling performance through their group, Palos Verdes Cyclists. Every ride was a fresh adventure for what we could do together on two wheels, beginning as a train, and ending with an ice cream.
We grow up, older, and on. I still ride, and share the old routes.

- I remember Fabio’s slogan in 83’84’, “Let’s Talk About The Olympics”. In 2028 (44years since LA 1984) the Olympics return for a third visit to Los Angeles.

Fabio has passed, Francisco, and all worked at, and shopped at Bicycle Way, have the memories of a wonderful, friendly place in time.
Robert Keating,
Triathlon LAB