Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Northern Tier ending in Montreal route ideas

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Old 02-04-10, 12:50 PM
sam.g

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm planning to ride part of ACA's Northern Tier route (east bound) this summer, however I'm considering ending in Montreal instead of Bar Harbour. Does anyone have a recommendation on where to exit the Northern Tier to head north into Canada and also the best (and most scenic) route?

At this point I'm planning to leave the Northern Tier at Ticonderoga NY and head due north along the west bank of Lake Champlain but would like other ideas.

thanks,

Sam in Cincy
Old 02-04-10, 07:33 PM
kayakdiver
ah.... sure.

Bikes: Specialized.... schwinn..... enough to fill my needs..

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Don't have an answer for you Sam but I will say that that trip is still fresh in my mind. Did it in 2008 and it was great but I ended mine in Portland Maine. You will have tons of great memories.

Are you leaving from Anacortes? You will be 9 miles from me. Hope you get some answers.

Kyakdiver
Old 02-05-10, 01:50 PM
bullwinkle
Which bike should I ride?

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Go to the site for Lake Champlain Bikeways. I've never ridden them myself, but have toyed with the idea of doing that this summer.
Old 02-06-10, 06:30 AM
L'Ardent

Location: In a small village, 100kms west of Quebec city, Canada

Bikes: An old Raleigh that I use for everything and a Marinoni Sportivo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Coming from the west bank of Lake Champlain you can connect to the "route Verte" (https://www.routeverte.com/rv/index_e...ode=monteregie) and enjoy a safe scenic road all the way to Montreal.
Happy riding!

Robert
Old 02-06-10, 05:45 PM
martianone

Bikes: recumbent & upright

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 31 Posts
[QUOTE=sam.g;10361288]I'm planning to ride part of ACA's Northern Tier route (east bound) this summer, however I'm considering ending in Montreal instead of Bar Harbour. Does anyone have a recommendation on where to exit the Northern Tier to head north into Canada and also the best (and most scenic) route?

At this point I'm planning to leave the Northern Tier at Ticonderoga NY and head due north along the west bank of Lake Champlain but would like other ideas.

Consider this - from Ticonderoga, follow the ACA Green Mtn "clockwise", which is north from Ticonceroga. Pick up La Route Verte just past Richford at [oh damn i forgot, plus there is a major bridge out] - 105 A I think. There is a major bridge out that connects NY and VT in the champlain islands - however a ferry is running. Sorry for my half hinney directions. Will dig around my route notes for some more clear directions, I only did this once a few years ago coming from Quebec back into north eastern VT. Also depends upon where near Montreal you will be going- might want to build your route backwards out of Montreal, south and slightly west toward the northern reach of the Green MTN route. It is easy to go too far east, then have to back track toward montreal. Also you need to hit into the Montreal area in a good spot to cross the St. Lawrence river.