Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Anyone use spd cleats with outriggers?

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Old 05-13-10, 08:38 AM
tjspiel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts

Like These?

I've been using Pearl Izumi X-Alp Seek shoes and they're nice for commuting. They have a flexible sole that makes them great for walking around in. However, I have wider feet and they're a little snug in the toes. This causes problems when I go on longer more intense rides, - my toes get numb.

Figuring that numb body parts are something one should avoid, I got some Lake road shoes which are SPD compatible. Lake shoes come in wide sizes. Anyway, being a road shoe they're not going to be so nice to walk in and I'm wondering if these outrigger thingies might help. I know people have made their own outriggers using old v-belts.

Thoughts?
Old 05-13-10, 10:00 AM
tatfiend 
Gear Hub fan

Bikes: Civia Hyland Rohloff, Swobo Dixon, Colnago, Univega

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Those cleats and pontoons were designed for the original Shimano road SPD pedals. Two versions of the cleats were made and per my understanding one version is definitely not compatible with current SPD pedals. The pedals those cleats were made for were manufactured ca 1996.

I suspect that the pontons could be made to fit modern SPD cleats with some grinding on the current design cleats but not with stock current cleats.

The plastic on the pontoons wears fairly rapidly if you walk much and is still on the slippery side as it is a relatively hard plastic, not ruber.
Gear Hubs Owned: Rohloff disc brake, SRAM iM9 disc brake, SRAM P5 freewheel, Sachs Torpedo 3 speed freewheel, NuVinci CVT, Shimano Alfine SG S-501, Sturmey Archer S5-2 Alloy. Other: 83 Colnago Super Record, Univega Via De Oro

Visit and join the Yahoo Geared Hub Bikes group for support and links.
https://groups.yahoo.com/group/Geared_hub_bikes/