Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Now THIS sounds like a worthwhile ride...

Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Old 04-19-11, 04:33 PM
bassjones

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD9-4

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

https://www.bicycling.com/ride-maps/f...s-_-b2bharpoon
Old 04-19-11, 05:05 PM
CraigB
Starting over

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1500; 2006 Gary Fisher Marlin; 2011 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105; 2012 Catrike Trail

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Based on your reaction to that, I'd guess you'll want to opt for the Broad Ripple Brewpub as our lunch destination.
Old 04-19-11, 05:48 PM
bassjones

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Works for me I'm definitely not a heavy drinker by any stretch, maybe a beer or two a week at most, but when I have one, I want a GOOD one. I particularly enjoy a good IPA, porter or stout.
Old 04-19-11, 06:53 PM
WonderMonkey

Bikes: 2011 Cannondale Quick 5, 2014 Raleigh Revenio 2.0

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 36 Posts
That's awesome.
Old 04-19-11, 07:08 PM
CraigB
Starting over

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1500; 2006 Gary Fisher Marlin; 2011 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105; 2012 Catrike Trail

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by bassjones
Works for me I'm definitely not a heavy drinker by any stretch, maybe a beer or two a week at most, but when I have one, I want a GOOD one. I particularly enjoy a good IPA, porter or stout.
I'm pretty much with you on that. I can't stand beer that has no taste, though I can't say I've ventured into the dark side quite that far (stout) more than once or twice. I take my Black & Tan without the Black.
Old 04-19-11, 09:39 PM
Sayre Kulp 
Bulky Bullet

Bikes: Burley Koosah / RANS Zenetik Pro / Catrike Expedition

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Light beer shall not pass these lips. In fact, if light passes through it, it's TOO light for me! Pass the dopplebach!
Old 04-19-11, 10:01 PM
Neil_B

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Club soda please. :-)

Old 04-20-11, 05:37 AM
Tom Stormcrowe
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.

Bikes: Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
OOOOOOOOOOOOO, a beer thread! I learned to drink beer in Germany, so you can imagine my opinion on most beers. Neil, FWIW, a beer isn't bad for recovery, you just don't get stinking drunk.......you drink it like the Europeans do and sip it, rather than follow the US tradition of guzzling a 12 pack of swill to get tanked.

Guinness, Red Hook, Shiner Black Bavarian Lager, Fat Tire 1554......, basically, all liquid breads.

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant
Old 04-20-11, 06:27 AM
bassjones

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Given what I know of Neil's religious background, I think his issue is more moral than health related. We have a shared faith, but I am from a Calvinist background and we do not have an issue with moderate drinking. Drunkenness is another matter, but moderate alcohol consumption is no issue.
Old 04-20-11, 06:28 AM
bassjones

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sayre Kulp
Light beer shall not pass these lips. In fact, if light passes through it, it's TOO light for me! Pass the dopplebach!
Pretty much sums up my own views on beer, though I do enjoy a good, strong IPA on occasion.
Old 04-20-11, 06:31 AM
elessarcif

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom Stormcrowe
OOOOOOOOOOOOO, a beer thread! I learned to drink beer in Germany, so you can imagine my opinion on most beers. Neil, FWIW, a beer isn't bad for recovery, you just don't get stinking drunk.......you drink it like the Europeans do and sip it, rather than follow the US tradition of guzzling a 12 pack of swill to get tanked.

Guinness, Red Hook, Shiner Black Bavarian Lager, Fat Tire 1554......, basically, all liquid breads.
Plenty of Germans guzzle beer, I know I cant keep up. With that being said I agree that a good beer is fantastic and there are too many horrible American beers. There are some really good ones though. I like Stearns Porter alot also.
Old 04-20-11, 06:53 AM
CraigB
Starting over

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Anchor Steam and Bell's Oberon (the latter unfortunately only a seasonal brew) are two of my personal favorites. For any guests who insist on a "light" beer, I try to keep some Stella Artois or even Corona on hand, but I seldome drink them myself.
Old 04-20-11, 07:00 AM
elessarcif

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CraigB
Anchor Steam and Bell's Oberon (the latter unfortunately only a seasonal brew) are two of my personal favorites. For any guests who insist on a "light" beer, I try to keep some Stella Artois or even Corona on hand, but I seldome drink them myself.
In England I saw some terrifying things done with Stella, wine with stella was probably the worst.
Old 04-20-11, 07:38 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,299 Times in 7,231 Posts
Not a good thread for me as I am a tad hungover this morning.
Old 04-20-11, 07:58 AM
dcrowell
Fat Guy Rolling

Bikes: Bacchetta Agio, 80s Raleigh Record single-speed, Surly Big Dummy

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
MMM.... IPA, Porter, Stout, a good red ale.... I like good beer. Except lambics, meads, and wheat beers.

Now I want a beer, but I'm at work.
Old 04-20-11, 08:07 AM
Neil_B

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by bassjones
Given what I know of Neil's religious background, I think his issue is more moral than health related. We have a shared faith, but I am from a Calvinist background and we do not have an issue with moderate drinking. Drunkenness is another matter, but moderate alcohol consumption is no issue.
Actually, it's that I don't like the taste of alcohol. So I don't drink unless it's part of some ritual - toast at a wedding, for instance - or I'm in a state I could use some of alcohol's depressant qualities - I had a couple of vodka-based drinks after a 2007 car accident. (Not before the accident, I assure you.)

I don't object to people drinking moderately in my company. However, I find it's more common moderate to excessive drinkers have problems with my non-drinking.

And to bring this post back to Clydes, one of my favorite stories from my weight loss was the party I was at where a drunk woman snatched food from me saying "I'm not going to let you get fat again." I laughed and thought to myself "A disgusting drunk is lecturing me on self-control."

Old 04-20-11, 09:25 AM
cod.peace

Bikes: Rans V-Rex

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That article is from 2007. Here's the web page for the ride: https://www.harpoonb2b.com/ I'm on the email alert list (more of a fantasy subscription at this point...) and the ride fills up very fast.

Another interesting Boston area ride is riding the Boston Marathon route the morning of the race...typically people ride from Boston to Hopkinton (the race start) @ 6AM, and the ride back to Boston is on closed roads. https://www.pr.com/press-release/221290 Actually there's a bunch of groups that do this, including a midnight ride the night before. Although I'm pretty sure that Heartbreak Hill is not quite the same without the Wellesley College students lined up to cheer.