Notices
Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling Do you enjoy centuries, double centuries, brevets, randonnees, and 24-hour time trials? Share ride reports, and exchange training, equipment, and nutrition information specific to long distance cycling. This isn't for tours, this is for endurance events cycling

Record time for bike across USA

Old 07-12-11, 04:15 AM
worldtraveller
worldtraveller

Bikes: 92 Specialized Rockhopper, 96 Maxim, 2006 Argon 18 roadbike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Record time for bike across USA

What is the record time for a bike across the USA. I am talking about the RAAM Racers or if anyone know ?

Also, did that person do it without sleeping at all?
Old 07-12-11, 04:58 AM
Steamer
Zircon Encrusted Tweezers

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked 127 Times in 82 Posts
Google is your friend. All will be revealed.

Whats up with all the threads with this common theme? You seem to be dancing around what your actual throughts / intentions are. Why not tell us what you are plotting and we can discuss that directly instead of coming at it indirectly all the time.
Old 07-12-11, 10:46 AM
Homeyba

Bikes: Colnago C-50, Calfee Dragonfly Tandem, Specialized Allez Pro, Peugeot Competition Light

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Speed 1986 15.40mph 8:09:47 3107miles Pete Penseyres
Time 1992 14.91mph 8:03:11 2911miles Rob Kish

There are lots of RAAM records. The two above are the one's you're looking for I guess...
They all sleep. Nobody can go 8+ days without sleep. They usually sleep about 3hr+/- a day.

Here is the RAAM records website. I even have a record on there...
https://www.raceacrossamerica.org/raa...N_webcat_id=51

Last edited by Homeyba; 07-12-11 at 10:49 AM.
Old 07-12-11, 07:58 PM
StephenH
Uber Goober

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
On the RAAM records, note that the course changes up, so that's why the fastest time is not the fastest average speed as well.

I haven't really look at their routes, and don't know how close the routes are to being the shortest distance from coast-to-coast.

And cool...looking through the RAAM records, I see two people I know, that I didn't even know they'd done RAAM.

Last edited by StephenH; 07-13-11 at 08:05 PM.
Old 07-13-11, 03:44 PM
200miler
Hooked On Quack

Bikes: Orbea, Lemond, Trek

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Homeyba
Here is the RAAM records website. I even have a record on there... :)
[URL
https://www.raceacrossamerica.org/raam/raam2.php?N_webcat_id=51[/URL]
Women's 4-person team records for overall and 50+ aren't updated for this years race. Team RawMilkCats made some pretty significant alterations to the listing!

Homeyba, you were spot-on about crewing the race with Fuzzy. It was a blast! And those women!!! Most fun I've had for several years, with my clothes on that is! );-0

YMMV
-dg
Old 07-13-11, 06:22 PM
Homeyba

Bikes: Colnago C-50, Calfee Dragonfly Tandem, Specialized Allez Pro, Peugeot Competition Light

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Glad you had a good time! What a bunch of crazy women they are!!! Learned a little bit riding with Fuzzy I bet. I'm a little bummed I missed you guys out on the road. I was with the solo guys and the faster teams.
Old 07-14-11, 03:59 PM
200miler
Hooked On Quack

Bikes: Orbea, Lemond, Trek

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Homeyba
Glad you had a good time! What a bunch of crazy women they are!!! Learned a little bit riding with Fuzzy I bet. I'm a little bummed I missed you guys out on the road. I was with the solo guys and the faster teams.
I've been working CTC rides with Fuzzy for the past 10 years. There has never been a day that I don't come out of with some new tidbit. And, they're usually the most obvious things, once you hear/think about them.

We started to over take solo men, albeit the back of the pack, on the way out of Bloomington, right after they cleared the road from the fatal auto accident [no bikes involved thankfully! Talked to a local while we were held at the TS and was advised that the particular piece of road we were going to leave town on was REALLY dangerous! Oh joy...]

I came off my 2nd work shift at midnight Friday, and got into the RV for some sleep [yeah,...right...]. Woke up at 0400 when the rider shift changed and never got any more sleep; we arrived at Rams Head Roadhouse at 0834. I went into the pier [RV] with the rest of the rookies who wanted see the actually arrival and take Pics. Got plenty! What I didn't realize was that this was the pier right outside the Naval Academy! I'd been there, TDY, in 1962! Home #$%&* home!

After the arrival ceremony we all adjourned to the nearest SIT DOWN restaurant for REAL food! They seated us outside as a favor to the rest of their customers, but were all over us with service when they found out what we'd been up to, and what the girls had accomplished. Every time a waitress went by the table they'd high-5 the racers! Then it was off to the motel for SHOWERS!! Followed by some adult beverages of course, and our team dinner - BBQ & beer , best training table I've sat at in years! Did the RAAM banquet Sunday night, and then headed back to the WC Monday morning, again 24/7 driving. Arrived in Barstow at 1230 Wednesday! Damn, my head was still on eastern time! Team split for the multiple destinations, and I was back in southern NV, showered, beer in hand but barely cogent, at 1700 [local] Not sure if the EB leg was harder than the WB though...
BUT,.. a fun time was had by all.
YMMV
-dg