Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

2012 - How Was the Commute Today?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

2012 - How Was the Commute Today?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-12, 08:02 PM
dbuhler

Bikes: Surly LHT, Novara Arriba, Cannondale RT3000 Tandem

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Did not have to ride uphill both ways but did ride into a south wind on the way into work and then into a north wind on the way home. Wore short sleeves and shorts on the way in, tights, long underwear, jacket and hat on the way home. Gotta love the ever changing Texas weather.
Old 01-17-12, 08:11 PM
Mark Stone
Tractorlegs

Bikes: Schwinn Meridian Single-Speed Tricycle

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 42 Posts
Today couldn't have been a better day for commuting - The pre-sunrise morning ride was 51 degrees, and the afternoon was 60 degrees with a 15 mph tailwind. Wow, what a day!
Old 01-17-12, 08:58 PM
HardyWeinberg
GATC

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by HardyWeinberg
34F, foggy, precipitating globules of ... stuff... 4-6" of snow/slush. Took me about an hour to get in vs the usual 25-30 min...
It wound up taking me about an hour and a quarter each way rather than the usual 25 min. Slow and steady wins the race!

But ALL of the parking lots I tried to string together as a low-traffic route home were occupied by yokels working on their donut/roostertail skillz.
Old 01-17-12, 09:34 PM
buzzman
----

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 4 Posts
Today could have been titled "The Ice Bike Cometh" or "A Bike For All Seasons".

Last night as I was heading to bed I looked out to see a heavy snow storm underway, I checked the weather and the forecast was for a slushy, icy commute in the morning. I pumped up the tires on my "Ice Bike"- an old Specialized Rockhopper (Ice Breaker) I got for $200 and set up with studded tires, nice fat fenders, a rack and lights.

It performed like a champ as I slogged through two inches of wet snow. It was like riding with the brakes rubbing for the ten mile commute but it was good work out and I got there in good time.
Old 01-18-12, 05:38 AM
fletchh

Bikes: Trek 820 mtb, A no name red steel pipe bike, my commuter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A windy ride in, with a head wind pushing me backwards. The temp is not too bad 44f (7C), but with a nasty wind chill. Hopefully, the wind dies down a bit before the end of the day, but days that start out this way, usually end the same way.
Old 01-18-12, 08:04 AM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
The temperature was 51 F and it was raining when I got up, but a cold front was passing through so I figured it might clear up by the time I normally leave (6 am). However, it started raining even harder when I got ready to leave, although the radar was showing that the showers were almost passed, so I hung around and did some work on my computer. The front took longer to pass than I expected, so it was 7:15 by the time I finally left, but it was worth the wait. The rain had largely ended, the wind had shifted to the north and the temperature had dropped 5 degrees. So, what started out as a potentially soggy commute or driving day, turned into a fantastic ride with perfect temperatures, a nice tailwind and my first morning commute in daylight in many weeks.
Old 01-18-12, 08:50 AM
Mercian Rider

Bikes: 1973 Mercian Pro, 1972-73 Peugeot Track, 1983 Lotus Competition, Early 1970s Bottecchia Pro/Giro, 2000 Bob Jackson Special Tourist, 2011 Rivendell A. Homer Hilsen; 1996 Franklin custom

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
26 F when I started out this morning. Ice covered several portions of the bike path, with patches here and there all along the path. The studded tires worked as advertised.
Old 01-18-12, 08:56 AM
Rick@OCRR
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
39 Deg.F when I started out, hit 35 at the lowest temp point. Otherwise nothing out of the ordinary . . . except there was a bike car on the Metro train! Didn't have to fold up my folder!

Rick / OCRR
Old 01-18-12, 09:26 AM
EKW in DC

Bikes: Trek 830 Mountain Track Drop bar conversion

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Commute home last night was plenty warm, but the 20 mph headwind was less than welcome.

The winds reversed themselves overnight, of course, so I got a good workout coming in to work this morning. I came I in earlier than usual since I start my Wednesday class this afternoon (a transportation planning class that focuses on bicycles for the first several weeks from the looks of the syllabus, so I'm excited about that). That meant I actually ride in with the sunrise this morning. Quite pretty.

Looking like I'll finally catch a break though and the winds will be strongly at my back as I rode to class. 20 mph tailwind... WOOHOO!
Old 01-18-12, 09:33 AM
cehowardGS
Motorcycle RoadRacer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
The ride was sweet. I am finding out the more I commute, the more savvy I get.. I am running ample lights now, and that makes a difference. Not nothing high end, but enough to be seen. Also, I am making sure when I merge into traffic on a shoulderless road, the first thing I do is to seek control of the car in back of me. Once I do that, there is no "hope they see me, or good Lawd don't let them hit me". They be coming at 50+mph on a 30mph road with no shoulder. I have to take the full lane for a hellish 3/4 mile. However, the more I am doing it, the better I get at handling it, therefore, make the ride more enjoyable and safer.. I am riding my 88 Centurion Ironman Expert this morning. It is outfitted with a brand new computer which I was fighting myself to stop looking at it too..

The Ironman just glided along the road at a swift pace. I was overdress to, not uncomfortable. After my breakfast stop, I shedded some clothes..

Good first half of the commute, the return leg home is going to be even better!!
Old 01-18-12, 12:26 PM
muu

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Snowstorm hitting the entire pacific NW. even usually-dry tricities was not immune and we had several inches (and more brewing as I type this). Studded tires worked admirably, but I definitely need to stay on the less-traveled roads as car tire-packed snow has been ridiculously slippery.

So I needed to be extra careful, and probably rarely went faster than 10mph but it was a ton of fun.
Old 01-18-12, 02:31 PM
gevad 

Bikes: Obed Baseline, Cannondale Topstone, Specialized Roubaix, Cannondale Synapse

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
First commute since last Friday. Low 40s F, windy, and sunny. Beautiful. Can't wait to ride home, even though that wind will be in my face the entire way.
Old 01-18-12, 03:34 PM
motob

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey, Glad to see someone else commuted today in the "top news story North West snow storm". Took out the mountain bike and left the cyclocross commuter in the garage. I just hope the roads are negotiable on the way home. Most of the commute is on trail except for around Walmart in Richland.
Old 01-18-12, 04:30 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Worked from home due to illness, so I guess I can't complain about the commute. :-/
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 01-18-12, 07:08 PM
dcb23

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What a nasty headwind coming in this morning.

Left work early in order to stop off at the bike shop for a quick repair to my squeaky front brake. I think I annoyed the mechanics but i needed it. They worked on the thing for about 25 minutes but I am now squeak free.

For some reason, the people in the elevator at my building all wanted to know about my winter commutes.
Old 01-18-12, 07:32 PM
Mark Stone
Tractorlegs

Another great commute, about 40 degrees in and 60 degrees home. Most of the time here in the desert southwest the wind is still in the morning, and blowing from the west in the afternoon - therefore the morning pre-sunrise ride is always still and enchanting, and the afternoon spin home always has a tailwind because I live on the east end of town. Couldn't be a cooler setup!
Old 01-19-12, 01:14 AM
stockholm
Just a commuter

Bikes: Scott Metrix 20 for commuting, Specialized Dolce Elite for fun

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
All the slush from yesterday was today transformed into small ice crests, if you know what I mean. Tiny lanes of solid ice, which once you were in, couldn't get out of. Going downhill, my shoulders went way, way up close to my ears and I was stiff as a tin man. Literally petrified...

So no, not a great start of the day. Hopefully the ice will be slush again once it's time to go home.
Old 01-19-12, 05:37 AM
fletchh

Bikes: Trek 820 mtb, A no name red steel pipe bike, my commuter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just chilly this mornning at 24f (-4C), but no wind, and that was nice compared to yesterday, which was like riding in sand.
Old 01-19-12, 06:03 AM
dcb23

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Chilly coming in...will be chilly in the office today, forgot to pack my bag with some critical articles of clothing.
Old 01-19-12, 07:10 AM
gecho

Bikes: 2009 Trek 520

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 130 Posts
No ride today either, which makes it a whole week since I was last on the bike. -44C with the wind chill doesn't allow much margin of safety on a 50 minute ride. After the 10 minute walk from where I parked my car, the front of my legs were getting numb. I really love my down jacket on days like these. I save it for days that are below -25.
Old 01-19-12, 07:12 AM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I expected a fast commute this morning with a tailwind, but my legs just didn't have it today. Perhaps it was the cold as the temps dipped into the 20s for the first time in a while, plus I got caught at every long traffic signal and got very chilled waiting for the lights to change from red to green. I was hoping the red lights would give me a break since it's my birthday, but they are cruel masters. On the bright side, it will be a sunny day and I'm sitting in my warm office now drinking hot coffee.
Old 01-19-12, 08:52 AM
gevad 

Bikes: Obed Baseline, Cannondale Topstone, Specialized Roubaix, Cannondale Synapse

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
21 F, which is not bad at all when it's dry with no wind like it was this morning. The ride would have been great, but for the two long detours off the bike path path to get around trail maintenance activities (tree limbing). They've been working along the trail for the last two weeks, but hopefully they'll finish soon.
Old 01-19-12, 09:01 AM
hyhuu

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sport

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
18 F with no wind when I left the house. It was so peaceful and quiet. For whatever reason, there was ice on my left glove on the fingers. Couldn't figure out where the water or ice came from.
Old 01-19-12, 01:42 PM
idc

Bikes: quite a few

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
3 NoVAs in a row? I ride from McLean as well. I guess you mean the Custis detours right? Those are pretty annoying.

27 or something, but i left late and there was little wind and a little sun, so it was perfectly comfortable.
Old 01-19-12, 05:41 PM
Mark Stone
Tractorlegs

Originally Posted by gecho
No ride today either, which makes it a whole week since I was last on the bike. -44C with the wind chill doesn't allow much margin of safety on a 50 minute ride. After the 10 minute walk from where I parked my car, the front of my legs were getting numb. I really love my down jacket on days like these. I save it for days that are below -25.
Move South, my friend, move south!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.