Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Adding drop bars to small wheel folding bikes?

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-15, 07:06 PM
Ultralight
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Years ago when I rode bikes quite a bit, I rode only road bikes with drop bars. Those were the only game in town back then for serious riders. Right around the time when I got away from bikes, mountain bikes started coming in. (I'm dating myself here.)

Anyways, rode a bunch of folding bikes recently from 16" wheels (Brompton) to full sized folding bikes. In short, all the small wheels including a couple sof 20" grands felt just a bit off and cramped. Perhaps it was shorter cranks. Perhaps the small wheels. Not sure why.

With 16" and 20" wheel bikes, is it OK to put drop bars on them? One will be perched more over the front wheels. Or will that just change the handling too much and be unsafe?

I realize of course that drop bars will make the bike much less compact when folded up. I am thinking of using quick release clamps for times when I need to really fold to small package.

Thanks,
UL
Old 08-27-15, 07:23 PM
cplager
The Recumbent Quant

Bikes: 2012 Cruzbike Sofrider, 2013 Cruzigami Mantis, 2016 Folding CruziTandem

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
There are several folding bikes with drop bars. You've noticed the biggest problem with them (folding the bike). So go for it.
Old 08-27-15, 07:57 PM
jur

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Safety is not a concern. Some BFs come with them.
Old 08-27-15, 09:18 PM
ShortLegCyclist

Bikes: Many bikes in three states and two countries, mainly riding Moots Vamoots, Lynskey R265 disc and a Spot Denver Zephyr nowadays

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jur
Safety is not a concern. Some BFs come with them.
Some Terns too

Old 08-27-15, 09:51 PM
Pine Cone

Bikes: 2-many...2 road bikes, 2 fixed wheels, 3 tandems, 2 recumbents, 2 cyclecross, 3 mtb, 4 folders

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
As I have grown older and less flexible I find myself riding mostly on the tops and brake hoods on bikes with drop bars. I got bullhorns on my Ti Swift and really like them vs drop bars. You get the extension of drop bars if you want it, and mostly they feel like riding drop bars on the brake hoods with a better fold and less weight than drop bars.

I have a long torso and appreciate the desire to stretch out a bit. Bullhorn bars do it for me.
Old 08-28-15, 01:11 AM
dezzie

Bikes: Xootr swift, Moulton Speed, Moulton Major.

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Not folding but seperable, Moultons mainly come with dropbars on the T.S.R upwards.
Old 08-28-15, 02:55 AM
cpg

Bikes: Mezzo I4, Trek 1200, Rudge (Montague) BiFrame, Bickerton

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I agree with Pine Cone's comments, bullhorns provide a good compromise between the fast/road riding position and ability to retain a compact riding position.
Old 08-28-15, 03:11 AM
bhkyte

Bikes: 2X dualdrive Mezzo folder,plus others

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Drops bars don't fold well. Bull bars or low profile bars made from upsidedown cut down drops work well on bromptons, downtubes,space genies, and mezzos in my experience.
You get the same hand postons virtually. See some of my threads on fitting dahon andros stem extender to Brompton, mission space genie, or the upgrading a mezzo thread.https://www.bikeforums.net/folding-bi...-advice-2.html

Last edited by bhkyte; 08-28-15 at 03:38 AM.
Old 08-28-15, 06:29 AM
tdong

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://www.bikeforums.net/folding-bi...-bar-drop.html
Old 08-28-15, 07:40 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Bike friday pocket rocket.. https://www.google.com/search?q=Bike...w=1808&bih=959

Or will that just change the handling too much and be unsafe?
Overly Broad question, so the answer is like ... 42

still has to be comfortable to ride when you're done ..

my Pocket Llama has trekking bars on it; My Brompton M3L has Ergon grips, on their stock M bars.

Last edited by fietsbob; 08-28-15 at 07:51 AM.
Old 08-28-15, 01:00 PM
bhkyte

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Generally bikes with stems that don't have any forward reach benefit from bullbars or simular fitting. A Brompton response well to adding a dahon extender and low profile bars. The dahon extender is nearly 6 inches alone. If you can get the longer bars to hold in the handlebar clamp. Mezzo can't take this kind of extension due to their already massively forward reaching stem. The bike gets too twitchy. It work well with mini low profiles(see the mezzo thread), drops turned on their side and cut down. Cqg has fitted a alba santoria? Forgot it name. To his mezzo and this handles excellently. Dahon curves may have flex issues is you extend forwards,maybe mine was just a bad example.
Birdies have had forward reaching bars added by some posters. I own birdies and thought the handling worsen with the dahon stem so I remove it.
Any compact you are thinking of adding drops or similar to?
Old 08-28-15, 01:19 PM
Cyclosaurus

Bikes: 1993 NOS Mt Shasta Tempest, Motobecane Fantom Cross CX, Dahon Speed D7, Dahon Vector P8, Bullitt Superfly

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bhkyte
Drops bars don't fold well. Bull bars or low profile bars made from upsidedown cut down drops work well on bromptons, downtubes,space genies, and mezzos in my experience.
You get the same hand postons virtually. See some of my threads on fitting dahon andros stem extender to Brompton, mission space genie, or the upgrading a mezzo thread.https://www.bikeforums.net/folding-bi...-advice-2.html
I've been toying with putting drop bars on my Dahon Speed D7 because I most prefer riding on brake hoods. Thinking I would cut off the bars just below the hoods to improve the fold.
Old 08-28-15, 02:26 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
& QR the stem~HB Riser, too , BTW the brake lever tips will still stick down..

Might go with a oversize bar clamp with a shim sleeve , with a standard sized bar

so the clamping and rotation wear and tear is not on the handlebar center directly.
Old 08-28-15, 03:20 PM
bhkyte

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Cyclosaurus
I've been toying with putting drop bars on my Dahon Speed D7 because I most prefer riding on brake hoods. Thinking I would cut off the bars just below the hoods to improve the fold.
Turn the drops upsidedown then cut back so the hoods are vertical. I find I prefer the hoods pointing in slightly,which also gets a folder fold.
If you have v brakes you will need travel agents for cable pul. Some people use bar ends but I prefer full road race shifter/brakes.
Old 08-28-15, 03:26 PM
Cyclosaurus

Bikes: 1993 NOS Mt Shasta Tempest, Motobecane Fantom Cross CX, Dahon Speed D7, Dahon Vector P8, Bullitt Superfly

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Turn the drops upsidedown then cut back so the hoods are vertical. I find I prefer the hoods pointing in slightly,which also gets a folder fold.
If you have v brakes you will need travel agents for cable pul. Some people use bar ends but I prefer full road race shifter/brakes.
Thanks...I'm aware of needing travel agents. Figuring I would put Microshift 7-speed brifters on. 8 speed would be nice but we're talking a whole drivetrain update then.
Old 08-28-15, 06:44 PM
invisiblehand
Part-time epistemologist

Bikes: Jamis Nova, Bike Friday triplet, Bike Friday NWT, STRIDA, Austro Daimler Vent Noir, Hollands Tourer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Cyclosaurus
Thanks...I'm aware of needing travel agents. Figuring I would put Microshift 7-speed brifters on. 8 speed would be nice but we're talking a whole drivetrain update then.
If your tires are not terribly wide, you can fit short pull v-brakes on the bike and eschew the travel agent.
Old 08-28-15, 09:20 PM
Ultralight
Banned

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Do you have a pic? i can't quite see it in my mind.

And THANK YOU EVERYONE who replied to my query. No matter what fold I do end up with, I think I probably will switch the flat handlebar out so all your posts have been ver helpful. Keep it coming. Especially appreciate the links where I can see what you are talking about.

Thanks!
UL
Old 08-28-15, 09:32 PM
BruceMetras

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Ultralight

And THANK YOU EVERYONE who replied to my query. No matter what fold I do end up with, I think I probably will switch the flat handlebar out so all your posts have been ver helpful. Keep it coming. Especially appreciate the links where I can see what you are talking about.

Thanks!
UL
Just in case you don't switch the flat bar out, I like the Ergon GP5 .. super comfortable, many hand positions, and doesn't affect the fold much in many cases..
Old 08-29-15, 01:12 AM
bhkyte

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Ultralight
UL
https://www.bikeforums.net/folding-bi...-upgrades.html

https://www.bikeforums.net/folding-bi...tml?highlight=

Mezzo has bars laid on side then cut back. No stem extention
Brompton upsidedown then cut back. Dahon stem extender.
Also photos of downtube upside down no extention other than standard stem. Downtube page 2 of Brompton thread above. See little pixels threads for making a quick release from a standard stem extenter or the mezzo upgrade thread has ideas.

Last edited by bhkyte; 08-29-15 at 01:18 AM.
Old 09-03-15, 04:37 PM
bargainguy

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 518 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 194 Posts
I just completed a drop bar conversion on my 2008 Bike Friday Tikit. Original had flat bars and a single 8-sp twist shifter. I'm not a fan of flat bars, much prefer bars that allow multiple hand positions and play nicely with brifters. I've played with mustache and bullhorn bars, but keep coming back to drop bars, so that's what goes on most (if not all) of my builds.

I went with Sora 8-sp brifters (although I only need the rear to shift, single chainring) on Nitto B-135 randonneur bars. Love these bars; they're narrow on the tops and wide at the drops. Lizard Skins DSP tape to complete the outfit.

Yes, the drop bars do make the fold bulkier, but for me, the improvement in comfort far outweighs folded size. Still easy enough to throw in the back of my vehicle or on public transport.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
speeding tikit 2.jpg (104.5 KB, 358 views)
speeding tikit 1.jpg (106.2 KB, 349 views)
Old 09-04-15, 09:05 AM
bhkyte

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Yes that's about the bulky fold I found with drops pictured above. My suggestion only adds about 3 inches the width of the fold but you get simular riding postion. I managed to add 6 inches stem extention and get a drop bar postion on my brompton with out altering the folded size. This was by adding a QR.
Old 09-04-15, 10:10 AM
energyandair

Bikes: Birdy Red 8 speed, Birdy Blue 21 Speed, Birdy Monocoque 24 Speed, 2002 Devinci Desperado, 1996 Rocky Mountain Hammer Race

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've seen pictures of drop bars on Birdys too.
Old 09-06-15, 04:37 PM
Paul Braithwait

Location: Carlisle, in England's Lake District, just a few miles south of the border with Scotland.

Bikes: A Bianchi C2C road bike, a steel framed touring bike and a Xootr Swift folder which has made the rest redundant!

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have 'bar ends on my Swift that convert flat 'bars into drops. This enables me to keep the twist grip in place. I find they work pretty well and provide plenty of hand positions on a long ride.
Attached Images
SSCN4976.JPG (62.3 KB, 191 views)
SSCN4961.JPG (67.1 KB, 181 views)