Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Brake disc questions

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Brake disc questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-18, 07:37 PM
rollagain
Lopsided biped

Bikes: 2017 Day 6 Cyclone (the Buick); 2015 Simcoe Deluxe (the Xebec); Street Strider 3i (the not-a-bike); GreenSpeed Anura (the Black Swan)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 160 Times in 97 Posts
Brake disc questions

(1) Whoever assembled my new bike put the front brake disc on backwards. My question is: What difference does it make?

(2) I'm going to be removing said disc and reinstalling it in its correct orientation (I have the instructions). Question: they don't mention it, but should I loc-tite the disc mounting bolts?
Old 03-13-18, 09:43 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2497 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 523 Posts
1. I doubt it makes a huge difference. It might make a difference, however, so I'm wondering how you know that it is the front disc that is reversed and not the rear?

2. You should not loc-tite the disc mounting bolts because they get incredibly hot in use. Ordinary loc-tite is not designed to survive those temperatures. That's why there are six bolts and they have a very fine threading and they are rather long as these things go. Loose disc mounting bolts are not likely to be a serious problem for you. Check on their tightness every now and then and call it good.
Old 03-13-18, 11:13 PM
Canker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 133 Posts
The disks are usually labeled and those 6 bolts often have blue loc-tite on them already. I don't bother to put loc-tite on them myself BUT I've also had the bolts on the rear disk fall out on my rigid mtn bike a ruin my ride and disk so I probably should.
Old 03-14-18, 12:32 AM
rollagain
Lopsided biped

Bikes: 2017 Day 6 Cyclone (the Buick); 2015 Simcoe Deluxe (the Xebec); Street Strider 3i (the not-a-bike); GreenSpeed Anura (the Black Swan)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 160 Times in 97 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
1. I doubt it makes a huge difference. It might make a difference, however, so I'm wondering how you know that it is the front disc that is reversed and not the rear?
I compared it to the drawings in the installation instructions. Also, I was able to find the directional arrow stamped on the rear disc, but can't see the one on the front.

As well, I was in the LBS and talking to one of the people working there about it. He didn't know the reason for the directional preference, but I saw that EVERY bike with discs had them on opposite to the way my front disc is mounted. Big store, too, with a LOT of bikes.
Old 03-14-18, 01:06 AM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
If the cut out spokes in the rotor are slanted, they should be oriented with the outer end pointing forward. Otherwise its POSSIBLE - but not common - for the rotor to collapse.

To the extent that I’ve thought about it, I’ve assumed it’s about steel in these dimensions being better at resisting tension than compression.

Last edited by dabac; 03-14-18 at 01:15 AM.
Old 03-14-18, 07:03 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
I put loctite on the bolts.

Shimano rotor bolts come with thread locker from the factory.

-Tim-
Old 03-14-18, 08:05 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by rollagain
(2) I'm going to be removing said disc and reinstalling it in its correct orientation (I have the instructions). Question: they don't mention it, but should I loc-tite the disc mounting bolts?
I have never added loc-tite to rotor bolts (beyond what they come with), and I have re-used them too many times to count over the past 17 years.

I have never once had a rotor bolt come loose.
Old 03-14-18, 08:30 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Loctite isn't going to hurt anything and adds only a minute or two to the job.
Old 03-14-18, 09:31 AM
Leisesturm

Quoted: 2497 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 523 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
I have never added loc-tite to rotor bolts (beyond what they come with), and I have re-used them too many times to count over the past 17 years.

The caliper bolts on my discs came with pre-applied grey loctite (heat resistant) but the rotor bolts do not have any thread locking compound at all. Coincidence? The blue loctite that is the kind you will find if you don't go out of your way to source the heat resistant kind will be a waste of time and money. At best it will not do any harm... or good. FWIW. But you know that. My comments are for the other (approximately) 734,000,000 people that might read this over the next 5 years.
Old 03-14-18, 09:48 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
typically there is a dried spot of some kind of thread compound on the bolts originally..

In the Shop we use a pre set torque wrench.. observe the bolt tightening sequence, in the manual..

[ those who work on auto engines know there is a much greater emphasis on the bolt tightening sequence on cylinder head installations]
Old 03-14-18, 11:02 AM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Bikes: Giant Quasar & Fuji Roubaix

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 244 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta

Diddo
Old 03-14-18, 12:15 PM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
1. I doubt it makes a huge difference. It might make a difference....
It certainly can. I’ve seen a couple of rotors with folds and creases in the brake track.
But between the spread in rotor design, rider weight and riding style, disaster is not guaranteed.

2. You should not loc-tite the disc mounting bolts because they get incredibly hot in use.
No.
The brake track can get seriously hot. The caliper can soak up some decent heat too. But big amounts of heat making it down the thin cut out spokes and heat up the bolts to any important degree, that doesn’t happen.
Too little material to carry the heat, too long path for it to be conducted, not enough continuous heat production at the brake track.