Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Pannier/bag questions

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Pannier/bag questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-10, 12:58 PM
GetUpnGo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Pannier/bag questions

I have 3 pannier/bag questions.

1) I bought a set of Schwinn Voyageur rear panniers on Craigslist. Here's a photo of them mounted on a motorcycle (not mine) https://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...156429&page=67 (scroll halfway down)
The attachment system doesn't seem that great: 2 hooks at the top and a bottom hook on a bungee that seems flimsy and doesn't create much tension One forum poster mentioned that these bags tend to fall off if you hit a bump. How can I make sure the panniers are securely attached? Normally, is the weight of the panniers enough to keep them in place?

2) I don't fully understand the need for front panniers, especially in the summer. I backpack so my equipment is relatively light and compact. My tent, sleeping bag, and mattress fit in one rear pannier. That leaves the other pannier, trunk and front bag for the rest. I probably wouldn't carry a stove. Do most people use front panniers these days?

3) Given the variety of handlebars and stems these days, how can you tell if a front bag will fit your handlebar if you order online? I have an upright, swept-back bar, like the Nitto North Road and an adjustable threadless stem. My current bag doesn't fit the angle of the stem (unless I bend the mounting bracket, which I will try).
Thanks!
Old 07-17-10, 01:10 PM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 756 Times in 561 Posts
Originally Posted by GetUpnGo
The attachment system doesn't seem that great: 2 hooks at the top and a bottom hook on a bungee that seems flimsy and doesn't create much tension One forum poster mentioned that these bags tend to fall off if you hit a bump. How can I make sure the panniers are securely attached? Normally, is the weight of the panniers enough to keep them in place?
I find that system completely adequate for on road touring. We rode some pretty rough roads and never had a bag come off while riding.

You will find that if/when you lay the bike down on its side and pick it up one hook may come unhooked if you are not careful. Not generally a problem, just something to watch for.
Old 07-17-10, 01:14 PM
LeeG

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 64 Posts
Originally Posted by GetUpnGo
I have 3 pannier/bag questions.

1) I bought a set of Schwinn Voyageur rear panniers on Craigslist. Here's a photo of them mounted on a motorcycle (not mine) https://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...156429&page=67 (scroll halfway down)

Thanks!
the weight of the panniers isn't enough to keep them in place, hit a bump and off they go. Replace/redo the bungie strap AND go for a belts and suspenders solution using a long 28"or so bungie looped around the bottom strut of the rack then coming over the side of the panniers and clipped back onto the top of the rack. Make sure the bungie clips can't get knocked off if the panniers get lifted off. This will do two things, keep the bag contents from flopping around and keep the panniers on the rack. It would be preferable to also configure some kind of fail safe device mounted below or btween the clips that could swivel over the rack bar after you put the panniers on to limit any lifting movement.
Old 07-17-10, 01:38 PM
prathmann

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
The mounting system on those looks adequate, but should be supplemented a bit. Many touring cyclists carry some of their bulky items on top of the rear rack/panniers. If there's a tent and/or sleeping bag strapped down firmly across the top of the rack and panniers then that should be sufficient to keep the panniers from coming loose. When I don't have anything on top of the rack I still loop a bungie cord around the top of the rack and over the pannier hooks for extra security.

Most touring cyclists I see do have front and rear panniers. But I've only been using the rear ones except when on the tandem. All my gear fits inside the two panniers leaving the top of the rack free for any temporary items (food, firewood, etc.) that might be picked up shortly before reaching camp.
Old 07-17-10, 02:00 PM
GetUpnGo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Is this type of pannier---side panniers connected to top bag---available in the U.S.? https://www.yopi.de/Kettler_Dreifach_...et_Travel_Tour

I used this type of pannier to tour Europe and it worked very well. No chance of falling off the bike. Very handy for sprinting from train to train with your bike on one shoulder and the pannier on the other. I saw these all over Germany but not in the U.S.
Old 07-17-10, 02:26 PM
bobframe

Bikes: Cervelo Soloist, Giant TCR Advanced, Co-Motion Americano Co-Pilot

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think the argument for front and rear panniers is about load distribution and the effect that has on how the bike handles. Some people seem to be religious about having front panniers and others do not. I personally believe that distributing your load front and back does have a positive affect on handling, but I have no proof. I want to be careful how I say this as the topic has proven to be incendiary in the past. That's it...over and out.
Old 07-18-10, 03:39 PM
adamrice 
mosquito rancher

Bikes: Bob Jackson 853 Arrowhead; Felt VR30; Kinesis UK RTD; Hujsak tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 133 Posts
GetUpnGo--those combo panniers look interesting. In the USA, I've seen trunk bags that have small zip-out panniers, but nothing where the panniers are so big and well-integrated.