Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Rant: Why the **** does Campy use a smaller shifter cable head?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-13, 11:41 PM
FastJake
Constant tinkerer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 75 Posts

If you couldn't tell from the title, I just tried installing normal cables in a nice new pair of Campy brifters. Of course they fit just enough that they got jammed in there, and I had to disassemble both shifters and rip the cables out. Then I got to throw those away and carefully file down the heads of new cables and re-do everything. This is what I get for not using Shimano

Is there any reason for this madness, or is Campy just trying to sell more cable sets?
Old 02-26-13, 11:52 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26427 Post(s)
Liked 10,383 Times in 7,211 Posts
Originally Posted by FastJake

Is there any reason for this madness, or is Campy just trying to sell more cable sets?
........................Isn't that a reason ??
Old 02-26-13, 11:52 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,593 Times in 1,437 Posts
For the record Campagnolo has been using the same size head for at least 60 years, long before Shimano got into the derailleur business. It's the same size head that Simplex and others in Europe have been using for about 3/4 of a century. So if anybody is using the "wrong" size head it would be Shimano.

For all we know, maybe Shimano knew what they were doing when they adopted the slightly larger head. They were looking to the future when folks like yourself would jam it into European levers, and have another reason to hate European products. (those clever Japanese are very foresighted).

In any case, though this is late for you, there's a bulletproof way to protect yourself from this kind of error. Make it a habit to test fit cables bu inserting the head first (backward) into the pocket, and checking for the fit. This prevents jamming from flash or a squashed head (it happens) or simply from grabbing the wrong cable kit. Then protect yourself more, by dipping the head in grease before threading it through. That prevents corrosion from making the head jam 2 years from today.

BTW-maybe you could edit your OP to read "why the **** did Shimano have to change the size of cable heads?

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.

Last edited by FBinNY; 02-26-13 at 11:59 PM.
Old 02-27-13, 12:10 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
its just a zinc , ball , file to fit..
Old 02-27-13, 12:18 AM
cyclist2000

Bikes: Masi, Giant TCR, Eisentraut (retired), Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo, Cannondale, 84 & 93 Stumpjumpers, Waterford, Tern D8, Bianchi, Gunner Roadie, Serotta, Serotta Duette, was gifted a Diamond Back

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 2,038 Times in 604 Posts
isn't the solution to get campy cables for everything and it won't get stuck in campy or shimano brifters.
Old 02-27-13, 12:49 AM
Kimmo

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1529 Post(s)
Liked 718 Times in 510 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclist2000
isn't the solution to get campy cables for everything and it won't get stuck in campy or shimano brifters.
This.
Old 02-27-13, 09:10 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4212 Post(s)
Liked 3,881 Times in 2,316 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
For the record Campagnolo has been using the same size head for at least 60 years, long before Shimano got into the derailleur business. It's the same size head that Simplex and others in Europe have been using for about 3/4 of a century. So if anybody is using the "wrong" size head it would be Shimano.

For all we know, maybe Shimano knew what they were doing when they adopted the slightly larger head. They were looking to the future when folks like yourself would jam it into European levers, and have another reason to hate European products. (those clever Japanese are very foresighted).

In any case, though this is late for you, there's a bulletproof way to protect yourself from this kind of error. Make it a habit to test fit cables bu inserting the head first (backward) into the pocket, and checking for the fit. This prevents jamming from flash or a squashed head (it happens) or simply from grabbing the wrong cable kit. Then protect yourself more, by dipping the head in grease before threading it through. That prevents corrosion from making the head jam 2 years from today.

BTW-maybe you could edit your OP to read "why the **** did Shimano have to change the size of cable heads?
Well said, Francis. Your reply references exactly what i was trying to say a few weeks ago WRT the view that many have these days. The view that what is in the market place today is the standard and everything else is the oddity or the difference that needs explaining. I'm no history buff or philosophy major but I am old enough to have lived through enough waves of change to have a macro view of things in the bike business. Andy.
Old 02-27-13, 10:40 AM
ksisler

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by FastJake
If you couldn't tell from the title, I just tried installing normal cables in a nice new pair of Campy brifters. Of course they fit just enough that they got jammed in there, and I had to disassemble both shifters and rip the cables out. Then I got to throw those away and carefully file down the heads of new cables and re-do everything. This is what I get for not using Shimano

OP; Well you did use Shimano... just not correctly. Or you did use Campy, just not correctly. Trying to blame the resultant mess on the OEMs is frankly a bit of a stretch. Apologies in advance for (a well deserved) wacking.
Old 02-27-13, 01:07 PM
kmv2

Bikes: Bianchi circa late 1980s, Surly Cross Check, Kona Blast

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was told I'd have a problem with this....never did though.
Old 02-27-13, 01:36 PM
ultraman6970

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
LOL... well thats why you have to figure it out 1st,

I agree with FBinNY, for some idiotic reason shimano changed the cable and since their products went massive and the other manufacturers closed their doors (but campy), people got used to the larger diameter heads. Well as somebody said just dremel the head and ready to go, don't see the problem but you should have figure it out why there are more shimano compat cables than campagnolo ones, so pretty much you screwed up

Seen zillions of cases of shimano cables that snapped inside of the levers, never seen a campagnolo cable or even a shimano filed/dremel cable to snap in a campagnolo lever ever. Maybe there are cases but arent that frequent as shimano's.

Stores only stock shimano or shimano compat cables and when a campagnolo guy shows up they have to order cables (they cant figure it out how to use a dremel either) and have the guy waiting like for 1 month. The solution for that is to order cables compatible with campagnlo because those will fit both brands duh!, geniuses in the shops dont do this for some reason, jagwire have both cable sizes since long time ago.

So stop ranting man... you screwed up, worse case scenario ask before playing to be a bike mechanic you know

PS: if you are actually a mechanic working in a ship better take vacations for a month and don't tell anybody where you work or what you did... shame... man... shammeeeeeee..
Old 02-27-13, 03:34 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Jagwire makes shift cables with a barrel at each end, one Shimano size (embossed "S") and the other Campy size (embossed, wait for it...."C") and you just cut off the unneeded end.

BTW, Shimano and Campy road brake cables have different size end barrels too with Shimano being the larger. AFAIK, no one make dual ended road brake cables.

Campy may have priority but Shimano has the market and now SRAM is second. It was a Pyhrric victory for Campy.
Old 02-27-13, 04:27 PM
Brennan

Bikes: Surly X√, Trek Earl

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
The view that what is in the market place today is the standard and everything else is the oddity or the difference that needs explaining.

I'm no philosophy major..
Maybe so, but that was a pretty sweet philosophical observation. You should change your business card to read "Philosopher/Mechanic."
Old 02-27-13, 04:30 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4212 Post(s)
Liked 3,881 Times in 2,316 Posts
Brennan- I have been accused of over thinking all my life. Maybe that's why I'm so slow a wrench... Thanks for the compliment. Andy.
Old 02-27-13, 08:32 PM
FastJake
Constant tinkerer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 75 Posts
This is what I get for bashing Campy Oh well. Lesson learned. And no, this wasn't in a shop. Just at home.

Thanks for the history lesson BTW.
Old 02-27-13, 10:18 PM
ultraman6970

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
If makes you feel better you arent the 1st one neither the last one
Old 02-27-13, 10:26 PM
Kimmo

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1529 Post(s)
Liked 718 Times in 510 Posts
Originally Posted by HillRider
Jagwire makes shift cables with a barrel at each end, one Shimano size (embossed "S") and the other Campy size (embossed, wait for it...."C") and you just cut off the unneeded end.
And I always cut off the Shimano end in case I want to re-use the cable from a Shimano brifter in a Campy one (would pretty much only re-use the rear in the front).
Old 02-28-13, 08:26 AM
Chop61

Bikes: Pinarello Road, Surly LHT, Dolan Track, Fuji Supreme, Guru Ti Tri, Bamboo

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclist2000
Except that on some Shimano shifters, (Tiagra, Sora, some 105) the smaller head can escape from the slot and jam them up.