Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Weight loss - Alcohol - finding balance....

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Weight loss - Alcohol - finding balance....

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-17, 06:40 PM
luddite_68

Bikes: GT Zum & Fuji Gran Fondo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bobwysiwyg
Luddite, just curious as to why you choose "clear spirits" only?
Carbs & preference.
Old 11-05-17, 07:13 PM
Ryder1

Bikes: Evil Following MB, D'back Haanjo, Kona Unit SS

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Some also feel dark liquors make for a worse hangover.

Speaking of being hungover, getting exercise earlier in the day definitely mitigates the damage for me. Increased metabolic rate, presumably.
Old 11-05-17, 07:42 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3888 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Originally Posted by bobwysiwyg
Luddite, just curious as to why you choose "clear spirits" only?
Also the preference of my alcoholic brother. He claims that what's bad for you in alcoholic beverages is the other stuff, not the alcohol, and you're drinking it for the effect, right? So for the effect, nothing beats Everclear in water, absolutely nothing. Plus it's cheaper and lowest in calories per oz. of alcohol.
Old 11-05-17, 08:13 PM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
.. and lowest in calories per oz. of alcohol.
Not according to my research.
Old 11-05-17, 09:23 PM
T Stew

Bikes: All 80s Schwinns: 88Prologue, 88Circuit, 88Ontare, 88KOM, 86SS, 88Tempo, 88V'ger, 80V'ger, 88LeTour, 82LTLuxeMixte, 87 Cimarron, 86H.Sierra, 92Paramount9c

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by redlude97
No. If your stomach contents are too osmotic, your body will just draw water into the stomach to dilute it.
I don't exactly follow your comment. I'm more referring to excess of water during digestion. I've heard other doctors prescribe the same advice as well (one was to my ex-wife when she had digestion troubles).
Old 11-06-17, 12:53 AM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 365 Posts
I've been losing weight for 2 months now and haven't given up on alcohol. It hasn't really mattered. Beers, wine, hard liquor, whatever it is, just with moderation. It helps that I've developed a taste for good Italian wine where that $20 bottle just doesn't do it anymore. That makes each bottle something you think about, and then only drink it when there is a nice dinner to go with it. Overall though I guess I'm drinking LESS, not giving it up completely. One of the reasons for drinking less is biking more. You can't ride when you've had alcohol, at least not get a serious ride in. The Barolo will wait, and will open up nicely while you're sweating on the trainer.

More important is to keep burning those calories, stay on the bike and ride hard. That has taken almost 20 pounds off.

And one more thing. Don't take up the homebrewing hobby like I did. Talk about calories, these probably have twice the calories of even the craft brewed beers. I made my last batch over a year ago now, and am probably done forever. It's a shame too, I have all the equipment and was getting good at it, good enough that some said I could win awards.
Old 11-06-17, 12:58 AM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
Originally Posted by T Stew
I don't exactly follow your comment. I'm more referring to excess of water during digestion. I've heard other doctors prescribe the same advice as well (one was to my ex-wife when she had digestion troubles).
there is no such thing as excess water during digestion causing problems unless you are drinking a gallon with each meal.
Can you provide any scientific evidence this is the case?
https://www.healthline.com/nutrition...meals#section3
Old 11-08-17, 05:42 AM
awesomeame

Bikes: 2018 Trek Emonda SL w/Vision metron 40 wheelset, ultegra gruppa. 2010 Intense Tracer VP

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I quit alcohol as well. I tried for a long time to "find balance," only drinking now and then, limiting myself, rationing, blah blah. None really worked. One drink always had a cascading effect. It would lead to another, and another, and then pizza and everything else, LOL. It was easiest just to quit entirely. Way more energy for biking this way, I've lost a bunch of weight, and overall feel much better. Now for a relaxing drink I drink Kombucha, "GT's" brand. Arguably it has some booze in it 0.1%, along with some calories (70/btl) but it's a much better alternative to a bottle of vodka and a pizza, lol.

Matt

Last edited by awesomeame; 11-08-17 at 05:48 AM.
Old 11-08-17, 08:53 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
Wifey just called to tell me our neighbor was on the ground ripping off his sneakers & swearing. she went down to help him & he had fallen down the hill carrying garbage out. mind you he has a walkway w stairs for this purpose. then he starts rambling incoherently & staring at her weird. she thinks he's having a stroke or something & offers to call 911, or our community caring committee. then he starts telling her that he always had the hots for her. she offers to help him up & he hugs her acting really disoriented still. she asks: "are you drunk" he says: "yes, now you know all my secrets" she waited until he got himself back in his house before she left for work & had to call in cuz now she's late. just astonishing
Old 11-15-17, 12:37 PM
KDTX

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Update on "the plan"

Officially started a new plan which includes a modified diet, increased exercise and I am trying to limit all alcohol calories to 500 per week. Something about the mindset of not quitting completely/moderation seems more realistic and something feasible. I have already started to think before each drink and also rationalizing what the purpose of it is. Not having a beer or wine with dinner (at home anyway) is a no brainer. Such a waste of calories to have a beer or glass of Black Box with dinner.

Will keep updating as the weeks go by.
Old 12-14-17, 08:51 AM
boozergut

Bikes: Kona Dew, Gary Fisher Paragon, Salsa Campeon

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 81 Posts
Great Thread! Im one of those homebrewer guys mentioned in an earlier post. Three tasty kegs on tap at all times. Having a bad day? Just stop by Boozers for a belly full of your preference.

But after a doctors check up Im switching my drinking glass to a three ounce nickel glass and plan to only have a couple when friends stop in. I began this routine a week ago. So far I havent missed the booze at all. I've also ordered a $hit pot of beer labels so that I can give most of my supply away to friends and neighbors on a regular basis.

Keep the posts coming!
Old 12-14-17, 03:14 PM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
Wifey just called to tell me our neighbor was on the ground ripping off his sneakers & swearing. she went down to help him & he had fallen down the hill carrying garbage out. mind you he has a walkway w stairs for this purpose. then he starts rambling incoherently & staring at her weird. she thinks he's having a stroke or something & offers to call 911, or our community caring committee. then he starts telling her that he always had the hots for her. she offers to help him up & he hugs her acting really disoriented still. she asks: "are you drunk" he says: "yes, now you know all my secrets" she waited until he got himself back in his house before she left for work & had to call in cuz now she's late. just astonishing

Sounds like a typical party night faux-pas'
Old 12-14-17, 05:23 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Originally Posted by DMC707
Sounds like a typical party night faux-pas'
thanks for the objective point of view. I'd agree but it was 8am in the morning
Old 12-14-17, 06:36 PM
khyricat

Bikes: hopefully a Sun Traditional Trike

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have been staying quiet on this forum.. but as a Registered Dietitian who recently lost some weight and has more to go, I'm going to jump in a bit...
a) water unless in excess doesn't affect digestion plus or minus... neither does a specific drink help or hinder it.
b) calories in vs calories out is the biggest deal in LONGER term weight- as in real loss/gain, and self control is part of that- if you can do just one- then go for it, if not, then don't... I have patients on both ends of this spectrum, I fall somewhere in the middle. I don't do caloric drinks as a rule, but when I do they are almost always alcoholic... wine or hard cider. ginger beer can be alcoholic or not...
c) alcohol is 9 calories per gram vs anything else is 4 or 7 (fat is 7 everything else is 4). this is actual digestible on it's own.. now most alcoholic beverages also get calories from flavorings - sugars, etc...
d) many alcoholic drinks make people retain fluid- so that bloated feeling, or overnight weight gain can come from that.. and once the body has equilibrated the weight will go back down...
e) a pound is 3500 calories. gained or lost... thats a lot of alcohol at once, but using a can of coke (non alcoholic) as an example- 1 can less per day is 10 pounds in a year! most alcoholic drinks are more calories, so...

weight loss isn't quite just as simple as that, but thats the basis for much of the theory.. people do react better to certain types of calories than others.
Old 12-14-17, 06:40 PM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
thanks for the objective point of view. I'd agree but it was 8am in the morning

I don't know why this makes me laugh, as I'm sure it made your wife feel very uncomfortable --- I must admit that ive seen a few bleary eyed sunrises as well in my youth, --- but tales like this make me glad I live on a small acreage with the nearest neighbor at least 200 yards away
Old 12-15-17, 06:31 AM
rumrunn6

Originally Posted by DMC707
I don't know why this makes me laugh, as I'm sure it made your wife feel very uncomfortable --- I must admit that ive seen a few bleary eyed sunrises as well in my youth, --- but tales like this make me glad I live on a small acreage with the nearest neighbor at least 200 yards away
haha me too. but this guy is 65-70 yrs old & Wifey is approx 59. no worries she & I cracked up laughing at first but then quickly realized how bad it was & began to worry about his wife, who he said was worse off than him. we took that to mean she was even more drunk than that! also at 8am. our condo complex is actually quite nice & was a great place to raise our kids. pool, tennis court, fishing pond, community garden. we all watched ea others kids at the pool when necessary
Old 12-15-17, 04:53 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 365 Posts
A one watt average over 1 hour on a bike = .001 pounds of fat burned on the person. This is what you need to know in a nutshell. If you can ride an hour at 200 watts average that'll come to .2 pounds. Do that for a week with 2 rest days and you've burned a pound of fat, all else being equal. Do that over the course of many weeks and you will lose that much weight/week and it will become apparent on the scale. Don't expect to see it immediately because not all else will be equal.
Old 12-15-17, 07:54 PM
joejack951

Bikes: 2016 Hong Fu FM-079-F, 1984 Trek 660, 2005 Iron Horse Warrior Expert, 2009 Pedal Force CX1, 2016 Islabikes Beinn 20 (son's)

Quoted: 1242 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by khyricat
c) alcohol is 9 calories per gram vs anything else is 4 or 7 (fat is 7 everything else is 4).
Alcohol is 7 calories and fat is 9. Carbs and protein are 4. With those calorie values, it's easy to see why low fat/minimal alcohol is a good way to lose weight.
Old 12-15-17, 08:45 PM
khyricat

Bikes: hopefully a Sun Traditional Trike

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by joejack951
Alcohol is 7 calories and fat is 9. Carbs and protein are 4. With those calorie values, it's easy to see why low fat/minimal alcohol is a good way to lose weight.
you're right- I shouldn't type numbers before I am fully awake... but exactly my point.. is avoidance the answer- not neccesarily, but reduced amounts are an easy answer.
Old 12-16-17, 05:50 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
With me it's as much the habit as the drink. Being very social I am apt to meet friends out at a local tavern on Tuesday. and Fridays. Then there's dinner out on Saturday. I've found that if I forgo the night out I can avoid the calories from alcohol. I almost never get high or drunk but nutritionally there has been too much alcohol in my body too often. I've cut back significantly in the past month but have not noticed more than a lb or two weight loss. Still it's better to have less junk in your body.
Old 12-16-17, 08:27 AM
joejack951

Bikes: 2016 Hong Fu FM-079-F, 1984 Trek 660, 2005 Iron Horse Warrior Expert, 2009 Pedal Force CX1, 2016 Islabikes Beinn 20 (son's)

Quoted: 1242 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce19
I've cut back significantly in the past month but have not noticed more than a lb or two weight loss.
A pound or two in a month with no other changes? That's very, VERY significant. That's 12-25 lbs. in a year if you keep it up!