Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Kickstarter folding bike

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Kickstarter folding bike

Old 04-21-19, 02:58 PM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
Kickstarter folding bike

I actually think this fold is really cool! not sure is there's a way to "park" it, but for carrying or rolling, it's awesome. What do you guys think?
Something different, anyway. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...very&term=bike
Old 04-21-19, 03:26 PM
downtube

Bikes: Many Downtube Folders :)

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 17 Posts
This bike is awesome. I recall someone posted a video here before. I'm glad he's doing a Kickstarter.

Thanks
Yan
Semi-active chess player ( two time Bahamas National Champion )
Sivananda ( Bahamas ) Trained Yoga instructor ( 2013 ) and ThetaHealer since 2013
Bicycle delivery worker for Jimmy John's. Delivering is the best workout I have ever had.
Old 04-21-19, 04:06 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked 841 Times in 586 Posts
Wow,...if this succeeds it will be fantastic. It's simple, looks like it would be a nice ride (though I'd require an adjustable height handlepost stem), and appears to be lightweight. Sweet,...
Old 04-21-19, 04:26 PM
dahoneezz

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
It has four hinges on the main frame . Wouldn't it be a floppity bike to ride?
Old 04-21-19, 07:13 PM
dahoneezz

Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts

Ok. Looks solid.
Old 04-22-19, 02:50 AM
Raxel

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 20 Posts
I don't see the point. The frame itself has as many as FOUR hinges. Handlepost and rear triangle have their own hinges so the total number of hinges is SIX.

Brompton has two hinges plus one acts as rear suspension. Dahon and tern has two. Tyrell IVE also have two plus one.
In general the less hinge, less trouble (and more rigidity).

And it is even heavier than Brompton (12.8kg WTF?) and folded size is even larger than dahon.
Oh and the price tag is 2,299 EUR??? Are they serious?
Old 04-22-19, 05:57 AM
berlinonaut

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
While the bike is no doubt intresting I see a couple of issues. The four hinges on the mainframe are potentially something that will make the bike a bit wobbly. The whole construction looks like a child of an Airframe and a Tikit with a little bit Strida inside. I have my doubts how well this will ride.
Apart from that: The guy has been designing on that bike for quite some time which hopefully enhances the quality:
There is a patent dating from 2014 and there are videos on youtube of 2012
and 2018
. So within the limits of the design it is hopefully relatively matured. On the other hand it is still a prototype - which means miles away from a real product and real production. The more astonishing is the given timeframe for bikes being delivered by the end of 2019 - we probably all remember the story of the Helix and how much time it needed in reality in comparison to the initial delivery goal... In short: I do not think that is possible in any way.

Pricewise it is a bit strange, too: Prices starting at 599€ for a delayed delivery at the end of 2020, 899€ for a delivery at the end of 2019 and an intended list price of 2.299€. Wow! The list price is in my eyes just phantasy compared to the established competition and what prices are paid for folders in the market - I cannot imagine this bike is sellable at this pricetag. Furthermore: If we assume the 899€ were a price where the labor is paid and there is maybe a tiny margin in it and the 599€ a heavily discounted price which covers barely more than the materials involved: How and why would one then pay 2299€ for that bike? It also looks a bit like a snowball system: They try to get money in to get the whole thing started but I highly doubt that w/o massive additional funding there will be enough money left at the end of 2020 to deliver the bikes that were sold for 599€. Also the specifications are left open - you do not know what you get for your money - which leaves room for the creators to adjust according to the financial possibilities but also may hint at a high risk and maybe unexperienced creators. They already ran an identical campaign on startnext back in January 2019 w/o getting any traction. Possibly partly because startnext is possibly the wrong place for such a project in my opinion but possibly partly also because of the risks and potential naiveness that one could imagine with the makers.

I with them luck but I think I'll pass. If it were available now for a test ride and this test ride was convincing 899€ could be an attractive price - but not for a bet on kickstarter but to directly buy it in a shop now. Maybe even a couple of 100€ more, but clearly not 2300€.
Likes For berlinonaut:
Old 04-22-19, 07:01 AM
Doc_Wui

Bikes: GT Transeo & a half dozen ebike conversions.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 275 Times in 192 Posts
I like it for its innovation, but we never fold our folders anymore.

For long trips, they pack better in the minvan at full length, although the handlebars come down.I am thinking I just need a minivelo with handlebars that tilt.
Old 04-22-19, 07:25 AM
wesgreen

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 29 Posts
Not for me, but I really admire his hair.
Old 04-22-19, 07:35 AM
MEversbergII

Bikes: Current: Origami Crane 8, Trek 1200 Former: 2012 Schwinn Trailway

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 19 Posts
It looks like another Kicknonstarter. I can definitely see the appeal, and the fold is something to behold, but I don't ever really have much hope for Kickstarters in general that aren't from well established individuals or companies who (likely) have capital to fall back on in the event of a mishap.

M.
Old 04-22-19, 09:38 AM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
I personally wouldn't crowdfund it, but that's because of my rule of nothing over $100 on Kickstarter after getting burned once a while ago. And, yes, the multiplicity of hinges might compromise the ride, but the quality and design of the hinges is what would make the difference. All that said, I love the fold - and I love seeing new intelligent folds - frankly it's time the folding bike industry developed something new and improved on the brompton fold. No, I don't think the B fold is the end game, sorry. It's a great fold, but with new technology I believe folding bikes can ride and fold even better, so I appreciate any attempt at innovation. So I applaud this guy for thinking outside the box with his fold and hope he succeeds. Just like I was excited by the Helix. We all benefit from more thought, effort, and design in folding bikes. I believe someday there WILL be a 15 pound bike that folds better than a brompton, rides better than a bike friday, and looks better than a Moulton...at a price I can afford, lol. And those of you who think the Brompton is the end-all can just keep yours and be happy.