Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Tire PSI

Old 11-07-19, 10:24 PM
MAK

Bikes: Yes, I have bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 65 Posts
Tire PSI

I just went tubeless with my hardtail. I'm 220 lbs. and the tires are Schwalbe Rocket Ron's. I read somewhere that correct psi should be my weight/7 +1 for the rear and my weight/7-1 for the front. This puts me at 30 front and 32 rear (rounded). Does this sound right? What do other 220 lb. riders ride at? FYI...The Rocket Ron's indicate a maximum 35 psi.

I'll be riding single and double track trails with some roots and rocks but nothing very sketchy or anything airborne for now. 🙂

Thank you for your advice.
Old 11-07-19, 10:55 PM
qclabrat

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by MAK
I just went tubeless with my hardtail. I'm 220 lbs. and the tires are Schwalbe Rocket Ron's. I read somewhere that correct psi should be my weight/7 +1 for the rear and my weight/7-1 for the front. This puts me at 30 front and 32 rear (rounded). Does this sound right? What do other 220 lb. riders ride at? FYI...The Rocket Ron's indicate a maximum 35 psi.

I'll be riding single and double track trails with some roots and rocks but nothing very sketchy or anything airborne for now. 🙂

seems high, I'm 50 lighter but running at about 20 pounds
Old 11-07-19, 11:49 PM
WannaGetGood
B*ck From Th* D**d

Bikes: 2015 Kona Process 153

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Depends on the weather for me. On a day of good riding conditions, I have 19 - 20 in the front and 22 - 23 in the rear. If it has been raining, I drop both. My weight is about 215 with a full suspension. Are your tires rock hard at that psi? You must roll pretty fast haha.
Old 11-08-19, 12:13 PM
CodyDog

Bikes: Specialized Vado SL/Trek Fuel EXe

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 29 Posts
I also think your running pressure is too high. I run 20-22 front and 23-24 in the rear on good condition days. My rider weight (loaded) is about 200 lbs.
Old 11-08-19, 01:34 PM
Canker

Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 133 Posts
Nobody here is going to be able to tell you the right PSI for you. The weight/7 thing is just a rough starting point. If you ride super aggressive in a rocky area that might be too low, if you ride like a normal human on average trails it is probably high. If you ride a hardtail you are going to need more in the rear than if you ride a full suspension. 29er needs less than a 27.5, a 2.0 wide tires needs more than a 2.8, blah blah. If you are getting rim strikes raise the psi, if you are bouncing all over the place and/or lack traction lower it. You just have to play around with it.
Old 11-08-19, 01:55 PM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
Rim width? Tire width? Try this, sit on the bike, both tires should squish a bit.
Old 11-08-19, 09:15 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2749 Post(s)
Liked 2,516 Times in 1,422 Posts
Originally Posted by MAK

Two biggest factors are weight and tire width. You gave your weight, but not tire width.

Even then folks can really only give you a starting point. Many other factors matter like tire casing, where you ride, how you ride, and if you are running tubeless.
Old 11-10-19, 02:48 PM
MAK

Bikes: Yes, I have bikes.

Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 65 Posts
Thanks for the responses. Based on questions from above, the tires are 27.5+/2.8". I rode 13 miles today (first actual ride other than dealer test rides) at 26 psi front and back and will experiment by adding and subtracting 1 or 2 psi every ride or so until I'm 100% comfortable. Next ride will be 24 psi front.

It was a mental thing with me. As a road rider, it's strange looking down and seeing 2.8" knobbies. It's also very strange going from 120 psi to a psi in the twenties. Now that I have confidence that I'm not going to pinch flat and that these tires will roll over most anything, I'm pretty much set to go. BTW...Today's ride was a blast.
Old 11-10-19, 04:25 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2749 Post(s)
Liked 2,516 Times in 1,422 Posts
Originally Posted by MAK
Thanks for the responses. Based on questions from above, the tires are 27.5+/2.8". I rode 13 miles today (first actual ride other than dealer test rides) at 26 psi front and back and will experiment by adding and subtracting 1 or 2 psi every ride or so until I'm 100% comfortable. Next ride will be 24 psi front.

It was a mental thing with me. As a road rider, it's strange looking down and seeing 2.8" knobbies. It's also very strange going from 120 psi to a psi in the twenties. Now that I have confidence that I'm not going to pinch flat and that these tires will roll over most anything, I'm pretty much set to go. BTW...Today's ride was a blast.
2.8s are pretty big and allow for pretty low pressures. The weight/7 rule of thumb is for standard tires (2.2-2.4ish). You can go a lot lower with 2.8s.

I would go ahead and drop down to 20/23 front rear, and drop from there. With tires that large, you may find them too squirmy before you have issues with rim strikes.