Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

What to wear @ 20+ mph?

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

What to wear @ 20+ mph?

Old 03-14-20, 04:06 PM
sean.hwy

Bikes: Blur / Ibis Hakka MX / team machince alr2 / topstone 1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 201 Posts
What to wear @ 20+ mph?

I just started riding bikes xmas 2019. I started with the commuter green bike. I got addicted then bought the black/red road bike.

Now that I am going little faster the wind drag is making a bigger difference. I am currently just wearing work out gear that I wear to go hiking. So my jackets is almost a parachute.

The weather sites says it's usually about 10 to 20 mph wind when I go riding. I understand the weather sites do not measure the wind on the ground so it's much less than what they report.

Old 03-14-20, 04:58 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8259 Post(s)
Liked 8,991 Times in 4,452 Posts
You have no bike specific clothes? Start with Lycra shorts and bike jerseys. Cooler weather I wear a base layer and a warmer jersey and add a wind vest for warmth. A skull cap or some head covering will help with chilly weather. I almost never wear a jacket.
Check out Nashbar or Performance Bike for clothes or look for sales. I also have 2 jerseys from Voler for cool/cold conditions. Warm weather almost any wicking material will work.
Likes For big john:
Old 03-14-20, 05:40 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,279 Times in 739 Posts
Race fit kit.
Old 03-14-20, 05:41 PM
sean.hwy

big john

I have none. After my motorcycle accident in 2016 I have been trying to recover. I am at the point that I can hike 15+ miles but running is out. Doc and several people told me to trying biking. I just started and I am hooked. I should have started much sooner. I wanted to do some more spartan races so I kept trying to hike and trail run.

I like biking much better because I can do it everyday! From oct 2016 till nov 2019 my exercise routing is 7 days a week but I could only hike on the weekends. 60 to 120 minute drive one way to find a place to hike. Since I never could run, running on concrete by house was never an option.

I have been riding in this. ha-ha
Old 03-14-20, 05:42 PM
sean.hwy

Originally Posted by bruce19
Race fit kit.
You have a some links for that? Not even sure what that means TBH.
Old 03-14-20, 06:01 PM
02Giant 

Quoted: 1638 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 495 Posts
Originally Posted by sean.hwy
There are a multitude of options out there with prices from economy to extravagant.
Any clue how much $ you would be comfortable spending?
Old 03-14-20, 06:20 PM
sean.hwy

Originally Posted by 02Giant
There are a multitude of options out there with prices from economy to extravagant.
Any clue how much $ you would be comfortable spending?
quality wise: Not Walmart. Not Gucci. Something good but I don't want to pay extra because it's the jersey that won last year, etc.. Simply black color is fine with me. I just don't like all the
drag from what I am currently riding in as my speeds get faster and it's so windy here. When I was commuting to work with the green bike, work clothes, backpack with laptop at around 10 to 12 mph I did not really notice much of difference if it was windy or not. When I am riding closer to 20+ mph I notice the wind now a lot.

I assume this stuff costs between 50 to several hundred. Which is fine with me. Maybe I am for eye opening when people start posting links and everything cost $500+.
Old 03-14-20, 06:46 PM
bruce19

Basically it's form fitting clothes. If you go to youtube and search for "GCN aero kit" or something like that you might find a video. Or maybe do a search without the GCN. I know I've seen some wind tunnel testing vids.
Likes For bruce19:
Old 03-14-20, 06:58 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,955 Times in 941 Posts
It gets crazy with pricing for bike gear. There are several threads on BF regarding less expensive bike wear from China. I purchased some bibs and a jersey from Ceroti off Amazon and I think they are a low cost alternative for riders who do not have to have Assos or Rapha or are just getting into cycling. I have tried Pearl Izumi, Louis Garneau, Performance, Aerotech, De Soto, 2XU and other major brands with mixed results.

Race fit was aforementioned. Just be careful buying online. Cycling gear can run on the extreme small size. Club fit is more for those of us who are thicker.
Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 03-14-20, 07:10 PM
sean.hwy

Originally Posted by CAT7RDR
It gets crazy with pricing for bike gear. There are several threads on BF regarding less expensive bike wear from China. I purchased some bibs and a jersey from Ceroti off Amazon and I think they are a low cost alternative for riders who do not have to have Assos or Rapha or are just getting into cycling. I have tried Pearl Izumi, Louis Garneau, Performance, Aerotech, De Soto, 2XU and other major brands with mixed results.

Race fit was aforementioned. Just be careful buying online. Cycling gear can run on the extreme small size. Club fit is more for those of us who are thicker.
Thanks for listing go/bad name brands. Gives me something to search for.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=Ceroti&ref=nb_sb_noss

I used to be a wrestler back in high school. What is the advantage to the to the outfit that looks like a singlet ? Do your shorts tend to move down after 5+ hour ride? My longest ride has only been two hours. 99% of my rides is just a hour loop by my house so I am not familiar with issues you guys have the do 100 miles in day.
Old 03-14-20, 07:25 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,955 Times in 941 Posts
A singlet (no sleeves) are usually worn by triathletes but I wear them on short rides in the heat. Aerotech has sizes with longer inseams for tall cyclists if that is a concern. More expensive shorts/bibshorts will have several panels (8+) built into the fabric for better compression and these types of designs IMHO stay put better on your thighs. You can also check to see if the shorts/bibs have stay put bands of tacky fabric on the bottom thigh to keep the shorts in place.
Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 03-14-20, 07:34 PM
August West

Bikes: Domane SLR7 Project One

Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 105 Posts
I'd suggest trying some of the Amazon cycling "fashions" to start. They are reasonably priced and I have found the fit and quality fine for my enthusiast/recreational rides. You won't be one of the cool kids at the local cycling club but you can buy 4-8 full kits for what the high end brands cost for one. If you decide to upgrade later you can always go that route without being out a lot of $$.

The thing I like about Amazon is the free returns. Make sure it says free returns up by the price. I will buy several items and try them on then return the ones I don't like or that don't fit at no additional cost. Be aware many of the cycling brands, especially the high end and European ones run small. Sometime ridiculously small. These are what I currently ride and are working out great for me.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DJ8LZQP...TF8&th=1&psc=1
I like the zippered pocket in the back for my phone & wallet. Had zipper fail on one within the first year and they replaced it at no charge.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Since you're bent over at the waist many people prefer bibs. They are all I wear. I hate cycling shorts. These fit my long torso better than most.
Old 03-14-20, 07:37 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6176 Post(s)
Liked 4,794 Times in 3,306 Posts
You really need to embrace the MAMIL concept. <grin>

At least for road biking you'll find they work better. IMO, it is a mistake to get them so tight they compress you. I want the blood flowing freely though my muscles, so I size my jersey, shorts or bibs just snug enough to be form fitting. Same for jackets, but I find for winter, I like layers of slightly looser trousers when it's too cold for shorts. But I don't do much winter riding, so I might change my mind on that if I did.
Old 03-14-20, 07:53 PM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Bikes: 1995 Trek 800 Sport, aka, "CamelTrek"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 282 Posts
Thrift stores, especially Goodwill.... Rich people throw away the best stuff
Likes For Digger Goreman:
Old 03-14-20, 07:59 PM
big john

Here are some jerseys for about $30 and some shorts for $45.
https://www.performancebike.com/bike...jerseys/c15024

https://www.performancebike.com/bike...ts-bibs/c15070

Last edited by big john; 03-14-20 at 08:03 PM.
Likes For big john:
Old 03-14-20, 08:10 PM
big john

I prefer vests for cold instead of jackets because I sweat so much that a jacket becomes too hot. My most used vest is Gore Windstopper in front with a mesh back. The other thing is the vest is easy to stash in a rear pocket when the temp goes up. That's another advantage of bike jerseys, the rear pockets.
https://www.performancebike.com/bike...g-vests/c15100

Last edited by big john; 03-15-20 at 08:07 AM.
Likes For big john:
Old 03-14-20, 08:28 PM
bpcyclist

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
Poofy jackets are by far the worst for drag of any garment, according to a lengthy study I just read. I use a gilet when it is chilly--it's fairly form-fitting and keeps me warmish, but doesn't behave like a freaking parachute.

Much money to be saved in clothing for bikes on amazon, in my opinion. In addition to Ceroti, I like Sponeed and Santic and Prz--can't really spell the rest of the long name. Those have all been great for me, at a fraction of the cost of my personal preferred "fancy" maker, which is Cafe du Cycliste. You don't have to buy Assos or Rapha to get quality gear anymore, IMO.
Likes For bpcyclist:
Old 03-14-20, 09:09 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Anything flapping slows you down or makes you work harder.

This is the idea:

Likes For woodcraft:
Old 03-14-20, 09:20 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked 1,019 Times in 719 Posts
Check out Cambria Bikes, they've got some good sales going on right now. Picked up 2 cold weather Pearl Izumi hoodie jerseys and a matching cold weather jacket for 60.00 total, that's a steal.
Old Nazy has a fitness zip up hoodie that is really comfortable and has done a good job keeping me warm down to 40. Nicest thing is the length, doesn't have a longer back like cycling clothing but is longer. Fits reasonable snugly but not tight and the hood is thin enough to fit under the helmet if I need.
Likes For Russ Roth:
Old 03-15-20, 02:33 AM
bruce19

I am an Assos guy. That's because their kit fits me and most others don't. There are sales out there and that's how I buy. Otherwise you will be paying a king's ransom. There was a mention of shorts rolling down. Bibs will solve that problem. Back to vids....the ones I've seen all focus on aero position on the bike and design of kit as the cheapest way to buy speed. And, as someone mentioned, you must pay attention to sizing. Most euro clothing I've tried runs small and a US Lge is going to be a Euro XL.
Likes For bruce19:
Old 03-15-20, 08:11 AM
eagletree

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 13 Posts
I didn't see anyone mention this so I thought I'd throw it in. I bought leg warmers (on amazon) to go with my shorts. The two together have been perfect for cold weather down to the mid 40s. I'd really recommend the leg warmers, you just have to keep the silicone tops clean with rubbing alcohol or they will fall down. The ones I bought are cheapos and say "Qualidyne" on the inside, they aren't a name brand of any sort but the work great with the caveat above.

I bought arm warmers at the same time, but it is too cold here to wear just those and a biking shirt for upper body, finding a warm enough coat that is not a bit baggy has been a challenge I've yet to conquer. I've been putting a workout jacket over the top of my sweatshirt which goes over the top of my biking shirt, not aero, but where you are, you don't need that much layering (here it still dips into the 30s). Since you are blessed with being in a temperate climate, I bet just a biking shirt and arm warmers would suffice for you.

The reason Warmers caught my eye is because you can easily take them off after the sun is up high in the sky and heating you up too much. That made sense to me.
Likes For eagletree:
Old 03-15-20, 12:07 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1065 Post(s)
Liked 780 Times in 502 Posts
Thanks for listing go/bad name brands. Gives me something to search for.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=Ceroti&ref=nb_sb_noss

I used to be a wrestler back in high school. What is the advantage to the to the outfit that looks like a singlet ? Do your shorts tend to move down after 5+ hour ride? My longest ride has only been two hours. 99% of my rides is just a hour loop by my house so I am not familiar with issues you guys have the do 100 miles in day.
Every body is different so fit and style is personal. 70yo in July, Ironman triathlons, marathons walking due to bone on bone knees, never into sports in H.S. or college, little broken neck and clavical from bike crash in 2011, prostate cancer now ----

113 miles yesterday, 145 miles last Wednesday planning 110 miles tomorrow in these CHEAPO shorts --- https://www.amazon.com/Przewalski-Pa...reation&sr=1-4

Fine for me but might be a NO GO for you. Don't care for bibs cause I like EZ2P+ outfit. Also prefer a FULL ZIPPER jersey.
Likes For OldTryGuy:
Old 03-15-20, 04:36 PM
sean.hwy

Thanks everyone. I got a few shirts and jackets.
Old 03-15-20, 07:56 PM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Bikes: 1995 Trek 800 Sport, aka, "CamelTrek"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 282 Posts
Another consideration is the wind on your throat. I am almost 60 and as the temps lower, a gaiter saves the day!
Likes For Digger Goreman:
Old 03-15-20, 10:31 PM
ChrisAlbertson

Bikes: 70's frame, newer parts

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 27 Posts
What you want is "real" bike clothing. I just can no longer ride without those three pockets in the back of the jersey. I carry extra clothing in one pocket, phone, and food in the others. The cost can be way-cheap. Today I won an eBay auction for a Perl Izumi jersey for $6.40. (plus $4 to ship) these are available for $10 all the time. love2pedal.com has decent clothing with good shorts for under $20 and a few (made in USA) jerseys for under $10. You don't have to pay a lot.

You are correct, 20 MPH is the point where aerodynamics matters. I'm on the drops at that speed and noticed today that I'm just coasting downhill but I'm overtaking other riders who are sitting more upright and peddling. Ducking the wind adds just over 1 MPH at 20 MPH. Clothing has a lesser effect but it matters at high speeds

Aside from not flapping in the wind, you will find you like the rear pockets and of course, you really do want the chamois in the sorts.
Likes For ChrisAlbertson:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.