Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

What is/was the best Raleigh road bike of the 1970s?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

What is/was the best Raleigh road bike of the 1970s?

Old 07-03-20, 12:32 PM
jblackmd

Bikes: 1973 Raleigh Supercourse TT, 1997 Specialized Rockhopper FS

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by vintagebicycle
The best set up I found on the '77 SC was with a 70mm stem, (vs the 110mm it came with), and a pair of 4" straight riser bars.
The worst ride I had on it was down a hill up where I lived in PA, it was about 5 miles or so of steady drop at about 11% grade. It was the longest ride I took it on, and was I was about 40 miles from home on it. On a fast decent the bike started to get handlebar shake, this was with the Nitto north road bars and the 110mm GB stem. I was letting it roll a bit and a change in pavement surface set it off. I did save it but it made me rethink the whole set up. I was moving along at a pretty good clip when it happened, I saved it by skidding the back tire to one side and bringing it back in line again.
I went through a half dozen bar and stem changes before settling on the alloy riser bar and shorter stem. It made it okay, but not good. I put the bike back to stock and still ride it today. I bought it new, I doubt if I'll ever sell that one. I had a similar result with an upright conversion on a Panasonic DX4000 which I built a Nexus 7 speed wheelset for. The bike had no directional stability with the upright bars and the hub made it feel like a tank. I had a Dawes Galaxy and a Carlton Corsa Strada that I converted to upright bikes and both of those worked out very well. I also had good luck doing the same north road bar conversion with a 100mm stem on a 1971 Raleigh Competition on which I used a pair of vintage alloy north road type bars, a short stem, a B72 saddle, and an Sturmey Archer S5 hub shifted with two SA trigger shifters.
That bike was a bit small for me, so when I got the chance to upgrade the frame, I swapped everything over from the 23.5" frame to a 25.5" frame from a 1978 model.
The bike was great with the '71 frame, but terrible with the larger '78 frame. I didn't keep it, a buddy rode it and fell in love with it so we made a deal. I basically swapped it for a '66 GMC pickup truck with a slide in camper.

I never felt the B17 did well for me on an upright bike, that model seems best used on a bike where your more or less pushing against the saddle vs. sitting atop of it.
The B17 is my first choice on any vintage Raleigh. Comfort wise, I always felt the Ideal 80 was a better fit for me for some reason on my drop bar bikes.
As I get older, I'm getting away from drop bars and strongly prefer a straight bar conversion and have a few projects sitting waiting for me to get around to them.
If I knew the make of the bars, I'd tell you. I guess I was lucky. Didn't change the stem. I took it to a bike shop and told them I wanted a hybrid or MTB style handle bar. I didn't pick it out, the guy did. And it worked. I haven't had any shaking or shimmying problems, and I do try to ride it as fast as it will go, but in Florida it's not like there a ton of descents. I'm from Philly originally. Where did you live in PA?
Old 07-03-20, 12:48 PM
desconhecido 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked 144 Times in 107 Posts
Originally Posted by cudak888
I hope we hear back from him.

-Kurt
Perhaps he and a friend are out waiting for Godot to show up on his Raleigh. There's a question, what model Raleigh would Godot ride?
Old 07-03-20, 01:15 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26375 Post(s)
Liked 10,351 Times in 7,190 Posts
This was the "best" Raleigh of the 70's, so good they made them into the 80's

Likes For 3alarmer:
Old 07-03-20, 01:16 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Originally Posted by desconhecido
Perhaps he and a friend are out waiting for Godot to show up on his Raleigh. There's a question, what model Raleigh would Godot ride?
...I don't know about Godot, but Jesus would ride a 3 Speed Sports.
Old 07-03-20, 01:49 PM
vintagebicycle

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by jblackmd
If I knew the make of the bars, I'd tell you. I guess I was lucky. Didn't change the stem. I took it to a bike shop and told them I wanted a hybrid or MTB style handle bar. I didn't pick it out, the guy did. And it worked. I haven't had any shaking or shimmying problems, and I do try to ride it as fast as it will go, but in Florida it's not like there a ton of descents. I'm from Philly originally. Where did you live in PA?
I was in the north east near Tunkhannock, and I had relatives who had a place years ago at Harvey's Lake.
Lots of scenic riding up that way but lots of hills and rock strewn roads as well.
I spent time in Philly in Port Richmond as a kid but never lived there full time.
I've lived in a few areas in PA back in the day, my location was always work related back then.

The shimmy or handle bar shake was likely induced by the lack of trail and lack of weight on the front wheel. That one time was the only time I got any sort of shake out of it, the first thing I did was check the headset but all was fine there. (A loose headset or play in any front end bearings can cause bar shake). Its more common on motor cycles. The bike was a 25.5" model so the frame has lots of flex. My 23,5" SC may have been the better choice but I wanted to keep that bike all original as I was still riding that one in its original configuration.
There are a few things that can cause 'death wobble' and the SC with upright bars hit on several of them. All of this combined with my size made it even worse.
A buddy tried it down that same hill and had no issues after watching what happened to me, but he's 100 lbs lighter than me.
Old 07-03-20, 01:54 PM
desconhecido 

Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked 144 Times in 107 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...I don't know about Godot, but Jesus would ride a 3 Speed Sports.
While playing the blues on a National Tricone.
Likes For desconhecido:
Old 07-04-20, 04:45 AM
jblackmd

Bikes: 1973 Raleigh Supercourse TT, 1997 Specialized Rockhopper FS

Liked 21 Times in 13 Posts
I was in the north east near Tunkhannock, and I had relatives who had a place years ago at Harvey's Lake.
Lots of scenic riding up that way but lots of hills and rock strewn roads as well.
I spent time in Philly in Port Richmond as a kid but never lived there full time.
I've lived in a few areas in PA back in the day, my location was always work related back then.

The shimmy or handle bar shake was likely induced by the lack of trail and lack of weight on the front wheel. That one time was the only time I got any sort of shake out of it, the first thing I did was check the headset but all was fine there. (A loose headset or play in any front end bearings can cause bar shake). Its more common on motor cycles. The bike was a 25.5" model so the frame has lots of flex. My 23,5" SC may have been the better choice but I wanted to keep that bike all original as I was still riding that one in its original configuration.
There are a few things that can cause 'death wobble' and the SC with upright bars hit on several of them. All of this combined with my size made it even worse.
A buddy tried it down that same hill and had no issues after watching what happened to me, but he's 100 lbs lighter than me.
That s makes sense. I'm 5'10, 180 lbs. The bike is a 23.5 " frame.
Old 07-04-20, 07:28 AM
branko_76 

Bikes: ........................................ .....Holdsworth "Special"..... .......Falcon "Special".......... .........Miyata 912........... ........................................

Quoted: 702 Post(s)
Liked 671 Times in 419 Posts

Another cause would be a frame that is out of alignment, a common malady of the 1970's era Raleigh's
Old 07-04-20, 11:10 AM
big chainring 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 350 Posts
Kind of a sleeper in the late 70's was the Super Grand Prix. Alloy wheels, bar end shifters, and some nice paint options.
Likes For big chainring:
Old 07-06-20, 01:39 AM
vintagebicycle

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by branko_76
Another cause would be a frame that is out of alignment, a common malady of the 1970's era Raleigh's
If the bike had a frame issue I'd have had the same issues with it in stock form. The death wobble only reared its head with the north road type bars and upright riding position.
Old 07-06-20, 05:33 AM
bwilli88 
Not lost wanderer.

Bikes: In USA; 73 Raleigh Super Course dingle speed, 72 Raleigh Gran Sport SS, 72 Geoffry Butler, 81 Centurion Pro-Tour, 74 Gugie Grandier Sportier

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 885 Post(s)
Liked 985 Times in 518 Posts
I have a 73 SuperCourse, 74 Grand Prix, 76 Grand Prix, 77 SuperCourse, 78 SuperCourse, 83 RRA(English market).
The 73 is a upright dingle speed 23.5"
The 74 is a drop bar single speed 23.5"
The 76 is just a frame and fork 21.5"
The 77 is just a frame and fork 23.5"
​​​The 78 is built with Shimano arabesque and rides great. 23.5"
The RRA is mostly original, V derailleurs changed to Cyclone 23.5
If I had to choose one it would be the 73 and build it with the arabesque.
As it is will probably sell the 76, 77, and maybe the RRA

My 78 SuperCourse after repaint and build with Shimano 600 Arabesque.

Last edited by bwilli88; 07-07-20 at 12:01 AM.
Old 07-06-20, 09:47 AM
old_dreams

Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by cudak888
As far as Raleighs go, this more or less puts the Super Tourer into my "best" status, unless someone pops up with some freak of an SBDU bike with fender clearance and eyelets (SIGN ME UP!)

-Kurt
Perhaps an SBDU randonneur

https://raleigh-sb4059.com/2015/11/0...3-sb7657-1985/

but good luck finding one!
Old 07-06-20, 11:21 AM
the duchess

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jda775838
I'm looking to get my first Raleigh road bike but having trouble deciding or knowing what to get. What are the best ones from the 1970s?

Also, what's the difference between a Raleigh Record & Raleigh Super Record? I've seen both of these on craigslist.
Ralleigh
Old 07-06-20, 11:23 AM
the duchess

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Shoguns from the 80's are many times superior to any Raleigh. A 300 series worked best for me and reliability is tops.
Old 07-06-20, 12:50 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Originally Posted by old_dreams
Perhaps an SBDU randonneur

https://raleigh-sb4059.com/2015/11/0...3-sb7657-1985/

but good luck finding one!
...interesting site. I feel badly for that guy.OCD can kill you if you let it.
Old 07-06-20, 07:16 PM
PeeCee

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Why a Raleigh.

Buy the best you can afford.

Two things determined why I bought my Raleigh.

1/ The first race (style) bike I ever rode was a Raleigh

2/ I'm English

I have a original purple 71 Competition. I bought frame and fork only, then built it up with Nuovo Record gears, Record Hubs with Mavic Module E rims, Weinmann centre pulls and Brook saddle.

Its all the best I could afford and was right for the frame and what was easily available at the time.

Every time I ride it I see the roads I rode from years ago and it makes me happy.

I hope your choice give you the same pleasure.
Likes For PeeCee:
Old 07-06-20, 08:55 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2414 Post(s)
Liked 4,374 Times in 2,086 Posts
Originally Posted by old_dreams
Perhaps an SBDU randonneur https://raleigh-sb4059.com/2015/11/0...3-sb7657-1985/ but good luck finding one!
Apparently, I haven't spent enough time on his site.

Can't say that SB7657 tickles my fancy, or the idea of a touring bike that can barely take a 28C - but SB8200 is close to what I was envisioning.

Originally Posted by gugie
Two corrections;
1. Competition was above the Gran(d) Sport(s).
2. Gran(d) Sport(s) - I've got a Gran Sport, a Grand Sport, and a Grand Sports (all made in the same year!). Heck, I've even got a Grander Sportier...
1. Fixed. Thanks for reminding me on that one.
2. Yep. Knew about it, forgot the S. Wonder what the rationale was for that one... "Hey, that Seaton guy just screwed up the decals again." "Well, just remove the D and the S and we'll call it good."

-Kurt

Last edited by cudak888; 07-11-20 at 07:11 PM.
Old 02-14-21, 07:10 AM
AtoZ

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm trying to restore a similar bike
Old 02-14-21, 08:38 AM
sheddle

Bikes: my precious steel boys

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Liked 603 Times in 359 Posts
Clearly, as far as aesthetics goes, it's either the lavender Competition or the black Competition GS.

The OP is long gone but I'm actually a big fan of the Campy NGS group from that era, so the Competition GS with that group + three-arm NGS crank is a winner.