Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Cargo Racks for Bike Friday New World Tourist

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Old 07-07-20, 07:48 PM
Elbeinlaw

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 68 Posts

I just acquired a used New World Tourist. I don't know how old it is. I do know I need front and rear racks, if only to camoflage it so it doesn't look like a clown bike. So I put an old TransIt rack on the back: it more or less fits, though I'll have to adjust it to remove about a 10 degree slant back-to-front. But what about a front rack? The Bike Friday cargo racks are kind of pricy. Is there something cheaper I can do?

I love this bike, by the way. 24 speed. I can't say it rides like my hybrid, but it certainly tackles hills like my hybrid. And the combined derailler/internal hub gearing is certainly interesting. I'm pretty sure I'll never fold it. But my "main" bike (a Trek Verve 2) is so big that the BF is going to be a lot easier to schlep around when I don't want to get upper body exercise putting a bike on a rack.

But, anyway: racks?
Old 07-07-20, 09:24 PM
BromptonINrio
Stardust

Bikes: Dahon Curve Sturmey Archer Srf8; Brompton Sturmey Archer Srf8; Brompton M6r

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Elbeinlaw
I just acquired a used New World Tourist. I don't know how old it is. I do know I need front and rear racks, if only to camoflage it so it doesn't look like a clown bike. So I put an old TransIt rack on the back: it more or less fits, though I'll have to adjust it to remove about a 10 degree slant back-to-front. But what about a front rack? The Bike Friday cargo racks are kind of pricy. Is there something cheaper I can do?

I love this bike, by the way. 24 speed. I can't say it rides like my hybrid, but it certainly tackles hills like my hybrid. And the combined derailler/internal hub gearing is certainly interesting. I'm pretty sure I'll never fold it. But my "main" bike (a Trek Verve 2) is so big that the BF is going to be a lot easier to schlep around when I don't want to get upper body exercise putting a bike on a rack.

But, anyway: racks?

you can try this cheap one, its a clone from former dahon traveler front rack.

#Aliexpress R$ 107,17 | 20 inch Folding Bike Racks For Dahon P8 Shelf Front Frame Basket Rack Aluminum Alloy Hanger KAA084 Disc brake V brake Universal
https://a.aliexpress.com/_d7FSGKm
Old 07-08-20, 08:09 AM
rhenning

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 80 Posts
You might want to contact Bike Friday as they made many of their own racks for their bikes. Roger
Old 07-09-20, 09:32 AM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
I had a Nitto rack on mine and it fit great (no longer own that bike so I don't have the spec). Check out tubus - they make a ton of adjustable racks and components.
Old 07-10-20, 11:18 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
What the racks that Bike Friday make do that's different... is they come apart to pack flat & fit in the suitcase for travel convenience ...

otherwise longer struts from front of rack to the frame lets most rear pannier racks fit..

Using their low rider racks on the front with my panniers on them the combination gives me a surface to carry stuff on top of them..

each of my panniers have 2 D rings I hook my 4 stretch net hooks, onto..