Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Eye irritation and gravel cycling?

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-20, 09:36 PM
wheelsmcgee

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 33 Posts

Anyone else have any problems with gravel dust causing eye redness and irritation? It’s definitely a thing with me. Today I was out for 2 hours...not super long, but it was dusty, windy, and I got passed a few times...by the end of the ride I probably looked like Tommy Chong in cycling kit. It doesn’t seem to be bad when it’s rained recently, but we’re going through a dry spell.

Any solutions? The best I can come up with is to try some foam-lined goggles (I already wear sunglasses).

(edit: finished a sentence)

Last edited by wheelsmcgee; 06-11-20 at 03:36 PM.
Old 06-10-20, 09:41 PM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Bikes: Giant Quasar & Fuji Roubaix

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 244 Posts
I have allergies, but luckily dust isn't one of them. If you don't steam them up, snow goggles would work in addition to a bandanna or particle mask over your nose and mouth.
Old 06-10-20, 09:45 PM
wirides

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 12 Posts
I've been dealing with a terrible dry eye issue and, among other things, bought some glasses from 7eye and they changed my world. They have a demo / fitting program that worked out well for me. Maybe it will help?

https://7eye.com
Old 06-10-20, 09:58 PM
pbass

Bikes: 2016 Surly Cross Check, 2019 Kona Rove ST

Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 313 Times in 211 Posts
I wear prescription Oakley cycling shades that have a good wrap-around. Changed everything for me. Before I was just wearing whatever sunglasses I had, and the dry dusty air would just whip around those suckers--my eyes would be watering on some sketchy sections! Got mine at SportRX:
https://www.sportrx.com/shopby/best_...tain_bike.html
Likes For pbass:
Old 06-11-20, 03:57 PM
wheelsmcgee

Originally Posted by Bigbus
I have allergies, but luckily dust isn't one of them. If you don't steam them up, snow goggles would work in addition to a bandanna or particle mask over your nose and mouth.
Yea, not a bad idea. I if I’m going to be out a really long time, I’ll wear a buff (for sun protection, but also pull it over my face for dust if needed). If I can keep sweat out, my current glasses keep pretty dry (at least in warm weather), but i don’t have much experience with goggles.

Originally Posted by wirides
I've been dealing with a terrible dry eye issue and, among other things, bought some glasses from 7eye and they changed my world. They have a demo / fitting program that worked out well for me. Maybe it will help?

https://7eye.com
Thanks, which “level” of protection did you go with (airsheild, airdam, lifestyle)? I was thinking of something like the air shield, but it might be overkill. Is fog or sweat and issue?

Originally Posted by pbass
I wear prescription Oakley cycling shades that have a good wrap-around. Changed everything for me. Before I was just wearing whatever sunglasses I had, and the dry dusty air would just whip around those suckers--my eyes would be watering on some sketchy sections! Got mine at SportRX:
https://www.sportrx.com/shopby/best_...tain_bike.html
Thanks. I’m a fan of the Oakleys I wear (half jacket 2.0), but obviously insufficient for dust. Maybe that’s all I need...I might try some old glasses that have better wrap around protection and see if that helps. Seems better than going full WWI fighter pilot.
Old 06-11-20, 07:34 PM
wirides

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 12 Posts
I ultimately bought the derby with polarized lenses and could not be happier. For the trial, I had the panhead, derby, and aspen but the derby made the best seal all around. Fit will vary of course. I haven't had any fogging and sweat wasn't a problem. The foam is easily removable but I leave it and wear them daily with no fogging. Because the lenses are dark enough, you can't tell the foam is there so they are fine in appearance either way. I don't work for 7eye or anything, just a very happy customer. I was just out in super windy conditions watching my daughter play softball. Without them it would have been very uncomfortable. My issue is different but the concept is the same.
Likes For wirides:
Old 06-13-20, 09:59 AM
clasher

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 148 Times in 103 Posts
Spoggles or smoggles (the prices are for singles and case quantities) are what I have to wear at some cement plants I work at, they're foam lined safety glasses. They do fog up during the winter when I work more but they kind of work, though it's often much dustier where I work than it ever is on the road. Any local safety supply or industrial supply place like Fastenal would likely have a bunch of different kinds in stock if you want to check them out in person. Being safety glasses they are cheap and impact resistant.
Old 06-14-20, 10:07 AM
pbass

Bikes: 2016 Surly Cross Check, 2019 Kona Rove ST

Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 313 Times in 211 Posts
Originally Posted by wheelsmcgee
Thanks. I’m a fan of the Oakleys I wear (half jacket 2.0), but obviously insufficient for dust. Maybe that’s all I need...I might try some old glasses that have better wrap around protection and see if that helps. Seems better than going full WWI fighter pilot.
I ride in SoCal--lots of dry dusty fire roads and trails and I don't feel the need for more coverage than these Oakleys provide. I have the Gibston model.
Old 06-14-20, 12:24 PM
wheelsmcgee

Update: I thought before I threw down a lot of cash on something nice, I’d see if some basic, foam lined safety glasses would work. I ended up ordering a tinted 3M product (sort of a less fashionable version of the Spoggles that clasher recommended). $8 and Amazon had them to me the next day. Took them out for my ride this morning...a little less wind and traffic today, but overall they seemed to make a huge difference...My eyes felt fine during and after the ride. I might wear them a few more times and then keep them as a backup for something nicer.

I have my doubts that they’ll be wearable in winter because even regular sunglasses tend to fog up on me in the cold, so I may opt for the wraparound shade approach then.

Thank you all for the suggestions!
Likes For wheelsmcgee:
Old 06-14-20, 04:55 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
I'd also add to try a few things to experiment to be sure you know what the irritation is caused by. Is it sweat or sunscreen getting in your eves from sweat? If it is pollen allergies can you take Claritin of Zyrtec before riding? Maybe an allergy test?
Old 08-15-20, 04:02 PM
wheelsmcgee

Originally Posted by dwmckee
I'd also add to try a few things to experiment to be sure you know what the irritation is caused by. Is it sweat or sunscreen getting in your eves from sweat? If it is pollen allergies can you take Claritin of Zyrtec before riding? Maybe an allergy test?
I know it’s been two months, but I never noticed this reply. I do get sunscreen in my eyes on occasion, but this is definitely not related...I’m often out right around sunrise so don’t often wear it. I probably should get an allergy test, but so far the foam lined glasses seem to be a huge help.
Old 08-16-20, 05:26 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
Great! I just finished a multi-day very dusty ride and can agree thay it can be fatigueuing to the eyes and I hate to think what the inside of my lungs look like!
Old 08-17-20, 12:04 PM
tdilf

Bikes: Niner RLT RDO, Trek Remedy 9.8

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 70 Posts
Ride faster, don't let anybody pass you - lol.
Old 08-18-20, 06:23 AM
wheelsmcgee

Originally Posted by tdilf
Ride faster, don't let anybody pass you - lol.

I doubt I can maintain the ~45mph needed to stop motorists from passing me (also, that wouldn’t solve the oncoming traffic problem). I might try one of those tall bikes; keep my breathing holes above the dust layer.