Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

1986 Georgena Terry Despatch

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-20, 08:21 AM
KenNC

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 63 Posts
1986 Georgena Terry Despatch

I purchased this 1986 Terry Despatch for my wife several years back, but it never appealed to her. Now thinking of posting on Craigslist so advice on what to ask would be appreciated. I believe it is all original except for the pedals, and is in mint condition. Suntour Cyclone crankset, brakes and derailleurs. Tange 1 lugged frame. Seat tube 51 cm c-c and top tube 49cm c-c. Personally I think it is a very nice bike and if all I can get is low-ball offers from someone who would part it out I'll just save it to give to a good home, but I'd prefer to move it along now at a fair price. Thinking 300? I saw the wheelset alone posted on ebay for 399 but obviously I think that was ridiculously high.

Old 08-18-20, 08:30 AM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
Interested in everyones input as I have a salmon colored Ironman (Ironwoman ?) in this size and configuration --- I bought it because it was cheap and weird -- but now its time to move it along if I can
Old 08-18-20, 09:46 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Things are moving on craigslist/facebook and $300 sounds reasonable particularly since your bike will be fixed up properly before it moves out the door. I find it helpful to list the work I've done on the bike plus pointing out why this is a cool and desirable bike (quality tubing set, quality parts). I find that writing a good ad really helps. Buyers don't know much and they appreciate buying a bike from someone who does.

The one downside is that the market is a bit limited since the bike is designed for women.
Old 08-18-20, 08:08 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2363 Post(s)
Liked 1,749 Times in 1,191 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig
I find that writing a good ad really helps.
Goes doubly so for a "limited market" bike like this. The text needs to speak to the potential market, and clearly describe why it is what it is, and why it's an _advantage_ to the potential buyer (proper fit, gearing of the full-size rear wheel, no toe strike, etc). And of course, clear sharp photos.
Old 08-19-20, 10:13 PM
PatTheSlat 

Bikes: '63 Schwinn American, '64 DL-1, '65 Schwinn Racer, '73 Super Course, '83 Voyageur SP, '89 Miyata 914, '03 EZ-1, '13 Raleigh i8 Folder

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 28 Posts
Originally Posted by madpogue
Goes doubly so for a "limited market" bike like this. The text needs to speak to the potential market, and clearly describe why it is what it is, and why it's an _advantage_ to the potential buyer (proper fit, gearing of the full-size rear wheel, no toe strike, etc). And of course, clear sharp photos.
You must be in a more intelligent market than I am- most buyers in my area won't read the description or look past the first photo.
Old 08-20-20, 12:32 AM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2363 Post(s)
Liked 1,749 Times in 1,191 Posts
Originally Posted by PatTheSlat
You must be in a more intelligent market than I am- most buyers in my area won't read the description or look past the first photo.
Probably true here, as well, for people buying grocery getters, campus lock-ups or bar bikes. But a small rider looking for a mid-level or above road bike, not finding anything else that will fit her, will take the extra time to read about what makes this bike the right one for her.