Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Any experience with Topeak Road Morph Digital pump?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Any experience with Topeak Road Morph Digital pump?

Old 05-28-20, 11:17 AM
KC8QVO

Bikes: Surly Disk Trucker, 2014 w/Brooks Flyer Special saddle, Tubus racks - Duo front/Logo Evo rear, 2019 Dahon Mariner D8, Both bikes share Ortlieb Packer Plus series panniers, Garmin Edge 1000

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 99 Posts
Any experience with Topeak Turbo Morph Digital pump?

Does anyone here have any comments from actual use of the Topeak Turbo Morph Digital pump?

https://www.topeak.com/global/de/pro...%C2%AE-digital

It looks like the Topeak Turbo Morph G and Lezyne pumps are staples here on BF for use on a bike (as opposed to home/shop/stationary with a conventional floor pump). I have not found much talk of the newer Digital version of the Topeak Road Morph.

I did read a review on the Road Morph G here where the gauge was difficult to read. Perhaps that is resolved with the digital read-out? How about the overall pump quality, durability, and ergonomics? I would hope a redesign would improve all, but sometimes that isn't the case with product evolution and quality can go backwards/cheaper.

Does anyone have any experience to support either a "yay" or "nay" on the newer Topeak Turbo Morph Digital? And also - how well does it work with both Shrader and Presta valves? It is spec'd for both but that doesn't mean it is spectacular for either.

Last edited by KC8QVO; 05-28-20 at 11:22 AM.
Old 05-28-20, 12:52 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
I have the analog Road Morph G on all 3 of my bikes and the gauge is readable and accuracy "good enough". I assume the Turbo Morph Digital uses a battery which would make it a non-starter for me.
Likes For dsbrantjr:
Old 05-28-20, 02:36 PM
KC8QVO

Bikes: Surly Disk Trucker, 2014 w/Brooks Flyer Special saddle, Tubus racks - Duo front/Logo Evo rear, 2019 Dahon Mariner D8, Both bikes share Ortlieb Packer Plus series panniers, Garmin Edge 1000

Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
I assume the Turbo Morph Digital uses a battery which would make it a non-starter for me.
Lithium CR2032 = same as every other device I have that uses that battery - including my sensors on the bike. Which means I carry spares anyway = not a problem.

I'm more concerned with the pump-ability and durabilty. How does it work? Is it built well? Or is it cheap and will break easy?

I would imagine the digital gauge would similarly be "good enough" at least, but if anyone has knowledge of the contrary I'd like to hear.
Old 05-28-20, 10:15 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 788 Post(s)
Liked 688 Times in 367 Posts
I like the Morph pumps enough that I have one on each bike. My problem is that my vision has gotten crappy enough that I can't read the gauge on the Road Morph chuck. The digital gauge might be what I need.

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Likes For Jeff Wills:
Old 05-29-20, 08:44 AM
probe1957

Bikes: 2020 Scott Speedster 10 Disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff Wills
I like the Morph pumps enough that I have one on each bike. My problem is that my vision has gotten crappy enough that I can't read the gauge on the Road Morph chuck. The digital gauge might be what I need.
I have the same problem with my 10 year old, perfectly functioning Morph pump. My 63 year old eyes have no idea what the gauge says. Fortunately my experienced fingers can measure 70 PSI with reasonable enough accuracy.
Likes For probe1957:
Old 05-29-20, 08:48 AM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
You can take apart the gauge and put a mark on the scale with a felt pen at the pressure you usually use.
Old 05-29-20, 09:20 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 455 Times in 357 Posts
I have the same problem with mine, but I have them on all my bikes too. I can get 100psi out on the road. I have the Turbo on one and the non-turbo on the other, and a spare turbo too.
Old 05-29-20, 09:31 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 788 Post(s)
Liked 688 Times in 367 Posts
Originally Posted by davidad
You can take apart the gauge and put a mark on the scale with a felt pen at the pressure you usually use.
I'll try that... and hope it works. My prescription sunglasses are a previous prescription (which I need to get updated- recommendations welcome) and my "regular" glasses are two sets of bifocals. Presbyopia is no fun.

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Old 05-29-20, 09:58 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4251 Post(s)
Liked 3,864 Times in 2,578 Posts
I own one but haven't used it yet. I have used the Road Morph G for years and years now with no issues and got the other one on a sale and I love sales and having back ups and spares.
Old 05-29-20, 10:51 PM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
I'll try that... and hope it works. My prescription sunglasses are a previous prescription (which I need to get updated- recommendations welcome) and my "regular" glasses are two sets of bifocals. Presbyopia is no fun.
My eye doc is a quack. I am going blind in my left eye after cataract surgery. I need reading glasses for the good eye.
Old 05-31-20, 10:34 AM
KC8QVO

Just a quick bump to refresh the thread.

Right after I posted it I changed the name to "Topeak Turbo Morph Digital". The text in the post changed, but the title line did not take. So the thread title is not accurate ("Topeak Road Morph Digital"). Is what it is.
Old 08-23-20, 10:22 PM
KC8QVO

Update to the thread - I did end up purchasing the Turbo Morph Digital. I brought it along for my ride today (first ride in a long time) and got to try it out twice. I used it to pump up my 20" folding bike tires to 65psi then shortly after we started off I noticed my riding partners tires were low so I checked them and got them up to about 62 psi.

I am not sure I like the gauge, namely the auto on/off. I suppose that is a safety so it is hard to "leave it on". The screen is easy to read so that is great.

The hose is too short in my opinion. I can see why it is the length it is - because it folds up and attaches to the frame of the pump nice. I just found the length of the hose difficult to work with.

Compared to the other bike-mounted pumps I've used over the last couple years - I do have to say that this pump does work very well. I don't run over 70psi or so on any of my tires usually and this pump can get there.

The foot peg is a giant bonus for this pump. I would say that is the most important feature of this pump. The easy to read gauge is nice, but you can pump tires up without knowing what the pressure is and to that point the foot peg makes the pumping function a whole lot easier than a pump that mounts straight to the valve stem that is entirely hand-held. Those pumps can work, but they don't hold a candle to this one.

The Turbo Morph, to me, is a far cry from a floor pump because of how small it is. That is a drawback - the posture I have to be in is stooped way down with one foot on the foot peg. That and the handle is only big enough for one hand. I will see if I can find any more ergonomic postures to pump in when I get a chance. To me, though, being able to stand upright and use both arms to pump is nice - my back appreciates it. Though, again, compared to other compact pumps the Turbo Morph does a really good job getting tires aired up.

This doesn't replace my floor pump, but it does replace the bike-mounted pumps. I have been known to carry a floor pump on a longer ride or two. For those times I think the Turbo Morph can hold its own well enough. If I were to rate it in stars out of 5 I'd give it maybe a 4. If it was obviously more ergonomic for me to use (longer hose, ability to stand upright when using) I would have been able to stretch that closer to 5 but I can't.

One other topic of note -

After airing up a couple tires to 60-65psi the pump got unusually hot - almost to the point of burning to the touch. For mounting the pump on a bike frame this won't be much of an issue, but if you are tossing it in a pannier you might need to watch what the pump rests against until it cools off. I could see it melting things.
Old 09-14-20, 12:23 AM
KC8QVO

I am in the process of doing some maintenance etc on my touring bike and put the mount on it for the pump. The pump is HUGE down there. I had to flip the pump upside down to get it to fit. I am not sure I like the pump hanging down that far - especially in wet conditions with sand and crap flinging up there from the front tire. So I will likely try to move it. The better spot might be under the top tube with zip ties. I am not sure if that will interfere with getting a bottle out of the down tube cage, but we'll see. I use both the top of the down tube and seat tube mounts for bottle cages. The spot on the bottom of the down tube has only ever held a pump.

The more I use the pump the more I am OK with it. It does get the job done. I still stand on the fact that it is not very ergonomic and the hose is too short. All in all, though, for a bike mounted pump this one has worked well so far. It has no trouble airing up to 75psi.

I will say again, also, that the pump gets HOT - the bottom third of the main body tube. If you mount the pump to the outside of your bike it's probably not a big deal, but if you put it inside a bag it could be be an issue - it is hot enough things will melt and is too hot to touch. Maybe that is because I pump fast, maybe if you pump slow it won't get as hot?

Old 09-14-20, 05:08 AM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 978 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 395 Posts
Mine's not digital, but here's another possible mounting location.

Pump mounted on seat tube.
Old 09-14-20, 05:46 AM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1158 Post(s)
Liked 439 Times in 312 Posts
I use the RoadMorph G on all my road bikes. I like the idea of using a red sharpie to make a mark on the in-line gauge. Topeak has never provided the water bottle braze-on side mount bracket in the box. These used to be available from Topeak for $5. They might be $7.95 now. Getting this bracket allows me to mount the long-ish RoadMorph G to the left of my down tube bottle cage. I rotate the pump facing up to keep it clean and so that my leg doesn’t rub on it. After riding in the rain and cleaning my bike, I remove the pump and clean it up. These pumps are so good, I have been a “Good Samaritan” out on the bike trails many, many times.

I don’t normally photograph the non-driveside of my bikes but I think you should be able to get the idea of the side mount of the RoadMorph G from this photo:

BTW: I use a Lezyne digital tire gauge to check pressures every day that I ride before embarking. I now like the idea of digital tire gauges. Having one on the portable pump would be handy. As for the ergonomics of inflation: I have learned from practice to use the palm of one hand on the plunger while the tire valve is oriented close to the ground. Yes, you do sort of need to kneel down a bit as you reinflate your tire but I have found that staying relaxed, taking your time and making a series of 8 or 10 full pumps with the heel of your hand gets you to full inflation pressure in no time. Also, if I help out another person I prefer to operate the pump myself. There are lots of little ergo issues that you will be able to optimize in use that a person who has never used this design might not implement perfectly on the first try.

Also: can I ask what you paid for your digital RoadMorph?
Old 09-14-20, 06:23 AM
IPassGas

Bikes: Schwinn, Nishiki, Santana, Trek, Rodriguez

Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
We tour long distance and like the pump (non-batt version) much. The foot peg can break easily, but not essential. We no longer ride with pump on frame, gets too dirty no matter where it is on frame. Important to have a good working pump when in the middle of nowhere. I think dust/dirt causes the seals/o-rings to degrade faster which is likely exacerbated by heat when pumping.
Likes For IPassGas:
Old 09-14-20, 07:55 AM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 834 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 247 Posts
I have a Lezyne Micro Floor pump that I equipped with a digital gauge by buying a replacement hose from Lezyne, once they came out. I also replaced the head with a later Lezyne model. It is is now an outstanding pump within the category of those that you carry along. On the hose side of any pump you are free to manipulate and, if you feel that you need a longer hose, you can change it.

Another comment pertains to the heating. When a gas is quickly compressed, it heats, and when decompressed, it cools. Some heating is presumably also produced by friction when gas passes quickly through a narrow opening. When a pump is large in size the heat spreads a bit, but on a small it is concentrated and the temperature rises significantly. It is pretty much unavoidable unless the pumping progresses slowly.
Old 09-14-20, 10:10 AM
KC8QVO

Thanks for the input, All. I appreciate all the mounting position thoughts.

Originally Posted by IPassGas
We tour long distance and like the pump (non-batt version) much. The foot peg can break easily, but not essential. We no longer ride with pump on frame, gets too dirty no matter where it is on frame. Important to have a good working pump when in the middle of nowhere. I think dust/dirt causes the seals/o-rings to degrade faster which is likely exacerbated by heat when pumping.
Very very valuable input. The pump getting dirty was my concern (in the lower down tube mount as in the pictures) but the reliability and degradation of the pump is a matter on another level.

The pump I had since the bike was new (still have it, still works) is a Bontrager combo hand pump + CO2. It is quite dirty from being in that location. I have had the occasion to use it to repair a flat - and that is the main reason why I went looking for another pump (and the reason why I've been known to tag along my floor pump from time to time). Does the small one work? It does. It gets a tire to hold air to ride. Is it easy to use? Absolutely not. First off is getting the pump to hold pressure. The body screws together and if you don't understand the pump design and know that (like I did when I went to use it on my flat) the pump will only get to very limited pressure without re-tightening the parts. After that it is a tube stem mounted pump and works about as difficult as you would expect - PITA. The Turbo Morph Digital is a ton better, from that standpoint.

For most of my day trips getting the pump in a pannier is OK. For longer trips where I am pinching space that might be a bigger challenge. I'll consider the options and see where it goes depending on the ride I suppose.
Old 09-14-20, 10:17 AM
KC8QVO

Originally Posted by masi61
Also: can I ask what you paid for your digital RoadMorph?
Looks like $56 from Amazon. Looks like it is $58.15 now.
https://www.amazon.com/Topeak-Turbo-...0100185&sr=8-5
Old 09-14-20, 11:34 AM
IPassGas

Bikes: Schwinn, Nishiki, Santana, Trek, Rodriguez

Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by KC8QVO
For most of my day trips getting the pump in a pannier is OK. For longer trips where I am pinching space that might be a bigger challenge. I'll consider the options and see where it goes depending on the ride I suppose.
Yes, would be nice if they were generally sold with a protective case. If pump is on frame, the pump collects grim over weeks/months of rides, and then when you need it, it fails. Some people carry 2 pumps because of failure concerns. I think if well protected, the pump is unlikely to fail (knock on wood).
Old 09-15-20, 08:07 PM
KC8QVO

I put the pump on the seat tube this evening. So far my conclusion is that there is too much interference with my leg on the side it is on. However, I only test rode with steel toe boots and jeans so I need to to a ride set up to ride and give it a better evaluation.

The kit came with rubber "insulators" that have a nub that sticks in to the bolt holes in the bracket that are for use if you use zip ties to attach it. If the zip ties are tight enough the rubber should hold the mount in position well enough I would imagine. We'll see.

I did bolt my old pump + CO2 cartridges back on under the down tube where it was before. I figured it wouldn't hurt, I know how that one works and if things are really sour on a trek and I don't feel like pumping I can throw a CO2 cartridge in and maybe get to riding pressure without pumping, at least the bulk of it. Though, I admit - I have never used a CO2 cartridge to inflate a tire so I am not too confident in the theory.
Old 09-15-20, 09:10 PM
Amber1988

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
The Topeak turbo morph is too big for me. I carry this one. I can read PSI clearly.
https://amz.run/3Zvo

Old 09-15-20, 09:39 PM
KC8QVO

Originally Posted by Amber1988
The Topeak turbo morph is too big for me. I carry this one. I can read PSI clearly.
https://amz.run/3Zvo
Have you had to use it on the side of the road/trail? If so - how did you find it was to use?

In my experience, the small pumps that attach directly to a valve stem don't work very well. I've been able to get to riding pressure with the Bontrager I mentioned earlier - but it is a PITA to use. I have had another small pump for schrader valves that I had with a mountain bike and used with my BMX bikes also for years and years. It works a bit better, but with those bikes I'm not trying to get to 70-some PSI, either. Smaller road tires getting up to 110psi or so is on another level from where I am around 70 still...
Old 09-15-20, 11:13 PM
Amber1988

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by KC8QVO
Have you had to use it on the side of the road/trail? If so - how did you find it was to use?

In my experience, the small pumps that attach directly to a valve stem don't work very well. I've been able to get to riding pressure with the Bontrager I mentioned earlier - but it is a PITA to use. I have had another small pump for schrader valves that I had with a mountain bike and used with my BMX bikes also for years and years. It works a bit better, but with those bikes I'm not trying to get to 70-some PSI, either. Smaller road tires getting up to 110psi or so is on another level from where I am around 70 still...
Yes, I carry it on my every ride. This pump has a dual valve. I have worked up to 110 PSI.
I prefer mini pump due to the weight.
Old 09-16-20, 08:08 PM
KC8QVO

Here is what I came up with on mounting. I use the term "mounting" loosely - most of my rides are day rides in good weather. So I think the pump riding on the outside of the bike will be OK. However, I will put it in a bag when touring or a day trip and I have panniers.

The gauge was facing out originally. I figured by rotating the pump to where the gauge was inward as far as I could get it that would be best. The pump can only mount in about a 60deg arch because of the hose and the molding of the body (the molding has a rail that will prevent the body from seating against the mount). That, however, gave me enough room to get the pump situated.

I rode around the block to test it and it seems OK.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.