Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Inflation Question

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Inflation Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-20, 08:00 PM
Grouperdawg

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Yup. This is usually something said by people with little/no tubeless experience as they parrot stuff said three or four years ago. I still haven't come across a combination that needed a lever to install (though I've had one combo that was a bear to break the bead lock until I learned the proper technique) and they've gotten easier to mount every year. I'm sure there are some bad combos out there, but the concern is overblown and usually voiced by people looking to justify their own decisions.
I have done hundreds of tires , there is no way you could get my 5000tl on my wheels without a tire lever two bike shops tried and failed. I Finally figured out to put them on other wheels and inflate them to stretch and leave in sun then use a Specific tire jack tool.

To the original question I use that electric frump pump bought on amazon and toss it in back of jersey with dyna plugs . On long rides like today I’ll also bring tire tool. Electric pump is awesome

For home I have a compressor but take the ryobi pump that i replaced the head with in the car
Old 09-27-20, 07:08 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by Grouperdawg
I have done hundreds of tires , there is no way you could get my 5000tl on my wheels without a tire lever two bike shops tried and failed.
What wheelset?

I did it 11 days ago on a Light Bicycle wheelset It's not easy, but some people can do things that others cannot. The person that was purchasing the tires was able to do it with one yellow Pedro's lever.
Likes For noodle soup:
Old 09-27-20, 10:20 AM
Branko D

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 252 Posts
After hearing the horror stories I was apprehensive about installing TL tires. Hell, I struggle with tube type GP5000s on various TL ready wheelsets.

In the end installation of 23mm Vittoria Corsa Speeds on three wheels I did it on was a breeze (well, perhaps not quite a breeze on the disc wheel) and installed with an ordinary pump, too. Very supple tires, though. I'm thinking of switching to those when I exhaust my stash of GP5000s.

Last edited by Branko D; 09-27-20 at 03:00 PM.
Old 09-28-20, 05:32 AM
am0n

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by DougRNS
Too many dollars chasing too few goods.

Put me down for frame mounted mini pump.
I got one of those fancy ones with legs so it becomes a "mini track pump." I also have CO2 in my bag, but they are like 7 years old so who knows if they still even work. Should probably just ditch them so my saddle bag doesn't look like it's about to explode.