Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Crown Race

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Crown Race

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-20, 04:44 PM
Greatestalltime

Bikes: Tcr advanced sl & Protos

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 33 Posts
Crown Race

When you change your headset do you always change the crown race as well?

My advanced SL doesn’t have one so I’ve never had to, but my new bikes do and I’ll likely need the special tool to remove as I don’t trust myself with a flathead or butter knife method.

Thanks
Old 09-28-20, 09:52 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Depends on the design. When I swapped from a Chris King to inexpensive Origin8 headset temporarily while the King headset is being overhauled (30 years, lots of neglect), I planned to reuse the King crown race. No go. Didn't match the cartridge bearing in the Origin8 headset.

There was no way to remove the original crown race without damage, using any makeshift method. I took it to the LBS and paid them to use their pricey, elaborate and very effective Park Tools crown race puller. Took less than a minute, no damage even to the paint on the fork crown (early 1990s carbon fork on a steel steerer tube).

If it was a choice between damaging the fork or mailing the entire fork, including tight crown race, to a shop that had the proper tool, I'd ship it to that shop. In fact I thought about asking the folks at Chris King if they could handle the entire fork, but the full service local Trek LBS had the Park Tools doodad so that was convenient.

The Origin8 crown race I'm using for now is much wider in external/outer diameter, and extends beyond the fork crown. I might be able to use one of the makeshift methods to knock it loose if I had to. But I wouldn't as long as the LBS has the right tool.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 09-29-20, 05:11 AM
Greatestalltime

Originally Posted by canklecat
Depends on the design. When I swapped from a Chris King to inexpensive Origin8 headset temporarily while the King headset is being overhauled (30 years, lots of neglect), I planned to reuse the King crown race. No go. Didn't match the cartridge bearing in the Origin8 headset.

There was no way to remove the original crown race without damage, using any makeshift method. I took it to the LBS and paid them to use their pricey, elaborate and very effective Park Tools crown race puller. Took less than a minute, no damage even to the paint on the fork crown (early 1990s carbon fork on a steel steerer tube).

If it was a choice between damaging the fork or mailing the entire fork, including tight crown race, to a shop that had the proper tool, I'd ship it to that shop. In fact I thought about asking the folks at Chris King if they could handle the entire fork, but the full service local Trek LBS had the Park Tools doodad so that was convenient.

The Origin8 crown race I'm using for now is much wider in external/outer diameter, and extends beyond the fork crown. I might be able to use one of the makeshift methods to knock it loose if I had to. But I wouldn't as long as the LBS has the right tool.
So just leave it in place if you use the same bearing. Got it. Thanks
Likes For Greatestalltime:
Old 09-29-20, 07:55 AM
abshipp 

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 2020 Holdsworth Competition, 2022 Giant Trance 29 3

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 3359 Post(s)
Liked 3,638 Times in 1,244 Posts
the full service local Trek LBS had the Park Tools doodad so that was convenient.
Lucky you. I took an (albeit inexpensive) fork to my local Trek store to have a crown race removed since I didn't want to do it the "wrong way" with a mallet and flat blade screwdriver.

Imagine my surprise when I was browsing a little bit and I hear the "WHAP WHAP WHAP" sound of the mechanic using a screwdriver and a mallet to remove the crown race

I don't shop there anymore.
Likes For abshipp:
Old 09-29-20, 08:33 AM
Greatestalltime

Originally Posted by abshipp
Lucky you. I took an (albeit inexpensive) fork to my local Trek store to have a crown race removed since I didn't want to do it the "wrong way" with a mallet and flat blade screwdriver.

Imagine my surprise when I was browsing a little bit and I hear the "WHAP WHAP WHAP" sound of the mechanic using a screwdriver and a mallet to remove the crown race

Sounds like every shop I’ve been to.
Old 09-29-20, 01:54 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
Originally Posted by abshipp

Well .... did it work? Did the shop mechanic preserve the paint? If the guy can do the job properly, who cares how? If the guy is that good, why buy an expensive tool to get the same result?
Old 09-29-20, 03:54 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

It's impossible to use that brute force method to remove some crown races without damaging the fork crown. There wasn't enough room between the Chris King headset and crown race and my older Trek 5900 OCLV fork to use the brute force method without damage.

If the method requires re-facing the crown to repair the damage, it's not a good method. And in the end it would waste more money in time and energy than the cost of a Park Tool crown race puller. While $270 seems expensive for a typical cyclist who might use it once or twice in a lifetime, that's cheap compared with the cost of liability for screwing up the job and needing to repair or replace a fork.
Old 09-29-20, 05:07 PM
Greatestalltime

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/99?...3D153676620162

Some on some other mountain bike forums recommend this type over the park tool.
Old 09-30-20, 01:49 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Originally Posted by Greatestalltime
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/99?...3D153676620162

Some on some other mountain bike forums recommend this type over the park tool.
That looks like a repurposed bearing puller. It'll work. The Park Tools CRP-2 is basically a fancypants version of the same thing, with plenty of adjustments to accommodate pretty much any fork, steerer tube and crown race. And replaceable wedges since those are subject to wear and damage.

I thought the Park Tools CRP-2 was overpriced until I watched the tech at the LBS use it. It's a damned clever device, and makes the brute force effort look easy when pulling a really tight crown race (like the CK unit on my older Trek 5900).

I'd consider the less expensive bearing puller type tools for home use, with *some* forks and crown races. But I still would prefer the best shop tool for the Trek 5900 and original Chris King crown race and headset. When I finally get around to sending my old CK headset to King for overhauling, I'll take the fork back to the LBS to have them pull the Origin8 crown race.

And I'd be less picky with a steel fork, especially on an older bike. Less likely to cause irreparable damage, and even if it did I could replace the fork. It would be very difficult to find an original replacement fork for my '93 Trek 5900 (let alone matching the original peculiar purple color, which shows up as blue in most web photos), although there are some very similar replacement forks, including the Synergy forks from Origin8 -- although those have the contemporary straight forks rather than the slightly raked fork of my older bikes.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 09-30-20, 02:15 AM
Greatestalltime

That looks like a repurposed bearing puller. It'll work. The Park Tools CRP-2 is basically a fancypants version of the same thing, with plenty of adjustments to accommodate pretty much any fork, steerer tube and crown race. And replaceable wedges since those are subject to wear and damage.

I thought the Park Tools CRP-2 was overpriced until I watched the tech at the LBS use it. It's a damned clever device, and makes the brute force effort look easy when pulling a really tight crown race (like the CK unit on my older Trek 5900).

I'd consider the less expensive bearing puller type tools for home use, with *some* forks and crown races. But I still would prefer the best shop tool for the Trek 5900 and original Chris King crown race and headset. When I finally get around to sending my old CK headset to King for overhauling, I'll take the fork back to the LBS to have them pull the Origin8 crown race.

And I'd be less picky with a steel fork, especially on an older bike. Less likely to cause irreparable damage, and even if it did I could replace the fork. It would be very difficult to find an original replacement fork for my '93 Trek 5900 (let alone matching the original peculiar purple color, which shows up as blue in most web photos), although there are some very similar replacement forks, including the Synergy forks from Origin8 -- although those have the contemporary straight forks rather than the slightly raked fork of my older bikes.
Good info. I’ll have to find out if any of my local shops have one. Otherwise I’d rather get the bearing pulled type and do it.

Looks like of my 3 bikes—2016 De Rosa Protos, a 2013 Tcr advanced sl, and A Dogma f8, only the De Rosa will need the tool because the Giant doesn’t have a crown race—which I’d like to know if that’s a great design or a flaw—and the f8 crown race which appears to be plastic or maybe some other softer than metal material that just slides off easily.