Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Bike Apparel?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Bike Apparel?

Old 07-03-20, 07:59 PM
gthomson

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale Caad 8, 2010 Opus Fidelio, 1985 Peugeot UO14, 1999 Peugeot Dune, Sakai Select, L'Avantage, 1971 Gitane Apache Standard, 1999 Specialized Hard Rock

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 543 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 299 Posts
Bike Apparel?

Hope this is not a repeat thread but just wondering what people wear when riding their vintage road bikes? I go full kit when I ride my newer road bike but kinda like to chill out on my older bike with gym shorts, shirt and runners. I always think I should be wearing more appropriate footwear so wondering what would be traditionally worn with metal rat trap pedals and leather straps?

I have a retro vintage Peugeot riding jersey on order from some online over seas web site but don't expect to see that any time soon. When it does arrive, I want to upgrade my wardrove a little to match the era.
Old 07-03-20, 09:03 PM
branko_76 

Bikes: ........................................ .....Holdsworth "Special"..... .......Falcon "Special".......... .........Miyata 912........... ........................................

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 701 Post(s)
Liked 667 Times in 417 Posts
I try not to dress like a girlyman.......

Likes For branko_76:
Old 07-03-20, 09:19 PM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
Originally Posted by gthomson
Hope this is not a repeat thread but just wondering what people wear when riding their vintage road bikes? I go full kit when I ride my newer road bike but kinda like to chill out on my older bike with gym shorts, shirt and runners. I always think I should be wearing more appropriate footwear so wondering what would be traditionally worn with metal rat trap pedals and leather straps?

I have a retro vintage Peugeot riding jersey on order from some online over seas web site but don't expect to see that any time soon. When it does arrive, I want to upgrade my wardrove a little to match the era.
A little history, as I remember it. Footwear depends on era and enthusiasm level. Before clipless pedals came out, if you had an expensive racing bicycle, you almost certainly would have worn cycling shoes with slotted cleats. More casual century riders and tourists might ride either racing cleats, or touring shoes like Bata or Avocet. Newbies on Super Mirages would just wear tennis shoes or something.

Club riders and racers would have worn wool jerseys and shorts right up to around 1980, when 'skin' (lycra) shorts started to catch on. They had already been out there for a couple years, but rare. People continued to use wool jerseys with the lycra shorts. I've already covered shoes. Synthetic jerseys were around by then, but didn't really catch on to the mid 80s. Maybe you trained in wool but had a fast polyester jersey for racing, or something. It was a slow transition, unlike the shorts. It seems like in '79 everyone was in wool shorts, and by the end of 1980, no one was.

Back to the present day and what I ride...
Last few months, I've mostly been wearing non bike clothes, hiking shorts, T shirt, etc. If I'm riding a lot and am reasonably fit, I just wear normal bike clothes. I don't do silly pro team jerseys. Plain colors and simple designs only. I still very often wear wool, and in fact I need to get me another wool jersey. Wool shorts though? No thanks. I started on them and am not going back. The stretchy kind are way more comfortable.
Likes For Salamandrine:
Old 07-03-20, 09:26 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3874 Post(s)
Liked 4,779 Times in 2,204 Posts

C&V ride a few years back - typical Puget Sound summer-ish day - 60°-ish and a smidge of a chance of liquid sunshine, with liquid suspended cloudiness guaranteed.

faces clipped for all but vertically challenged. These guys were Olympic Peninsula Hurricane Ridge riders. Memorable for all.

Just -- Ride ON!

Last edited by Wildwood; 07-04-20 at 12:50 AM.
Old 07-03-20, 09:30 PM
branko_76 

Bikes: ........................................ .....Holdsworth "Special"..... .......Falcon "Special".......... .........Miyata 912........... ........................................

Wildwood , no boondockers?......
Old 07-03-20, 09:46 PM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 963 Post(s)
Liked 1,447 Times in 721 Posts
Back when I was a youngster, doing tours with family, I wore lycra because that's what I was given. I gave up cycling for about 4 years during my twenties and then got back into it full Rivendell style, with completely ordinary clothes, right down to my linen shirts, cotton shorts, and Chaco sandals in toe clips.

Then I started experimenting with slowly adding cycling gear.

The cycling shoes made the biggest difference. The shorts, second biggest. I don't think I'm much slower or any less comfortable wearing a linen button-down than a jersey. It is more comfortable at lower speeds and higher temperatures (e.g. touring, pass hunting, rough-stuff exploring). It is also fun to pass by a roadie in full spandex while wearing a billowing linen shirt. Really gets on their nerves I guess.

I just got a nice set of Avocet touring shoes for my toe clips. Before that, I just use old clapped-out SPD mountain bike shoes without any SPD cleats on them, and they worked fine. The stiff soles help a LOT in my experience, compared to sandals or even trail runners, and the shoes don't look out of place on an old bike.

Recently I became a smelly old man, and found the lycra business to be unbearable. I'd have to wash my lycra shorts every time I went out if I wanted to maintain some level of civilized decency. So I got some old Protogs wool cycling shorts, just to try just once. I ended up really loving them. They don't really stretch out much, fall down, or become baggy or itchy, even if I'm in them all day. I really don't see what all the fuss is about. I don't miss the overly-padded chamois in my lycra shorts. I think the thin single-layer leather thing is better, because it retains some breathability. I can wear them between 4 and 10 rides before they smell bad enough for me to wash them. So here I am in my Avocet or SPD shoes, my wool shorts, and either a wool jersey or a linen short sleeve button down from a JCrew sale, and it's because they work for me.

And you should wear what works for you.
Old 07-03-20, 09:59 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 480 Post(s)
Quoted: 3788 Post(s)
Liked 6,572 Times in 2,580 Posts
From a recent ride and pretty much my usual kit (though I wasn’t on a C&V bike): wool jersey, Compass knickers w/ padded briefs underneath, leather Dromarti shoes, wool Ibex arm warmers that cool morning.

Old 07-03-20, 10:35 PM
Manny66 

Bikes: 1973 Colnago Super, Litespeed Classic , Automoto , Pinarello Gavia TSX,Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra,Eddy Merckx EMX-5 , 1982 Moser SL, Concorde TSX, Vitus 979 KAS. Diamant SLX,60's Meteor

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 917 Times in 318 Posts
Im an early 80's Era guy so I wore what my Hero's wore whenever I was on a bike. If Sean Kelly or Hinault had it on, I eventually got it.

I ALWAYS ride in cycling shorts ,jersey and cycling shoes. Only a Fred would ride in denim shorts and tennis shoes.

This is me in 1984, Wore it then ,and still wear it now.

Likes For Manny66:
Old 07-03-20, 11:12 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3846 Post(s)
Liked 6,437 Times in 3,183 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood
The Tusken Raider mask looks a little out of place, at least on a c&v ride.

​​​​​​​I can understand with your modern carbon bike.
Old 07-03-20, 11:18 PM
Piff 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 780 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 401 Posts
I drank the Rivendell kool-aid and it was damn tasty. I bought 3 pairs of MUSA shorts on discount before they were discontinued. It was a mistake not to buy 3 more.

For the future I plan to try out these touring shorts, they look nicely made.

Bike Shorts from People Who Really Know Bike Shorts!

As for shirts, sometimes modern jersey, sometimes wool, sometimes cotton t-shirt. Depends on how hard I'm riding.
Old 07-03-20, 11:26 PM
uncle uncle

Bikes: too many

Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked 233 Times in 139 Posts
Since the coronavirus, I've been riding mostly gravel, and mostly alone. I go for the circus clown aesthetic, aka, wearing bright colors, to improve my chances of being seen. Our county roads are mostly local limestone, and when it's hot and dry, like now, gas powered vehicles will kick up a cloud of fine white dust that you cannot see thru, until it settles back to earth. So, yeah, visibility is my primary concern. Usually an old multi-colored jersey, so I can have my phone and reading glasses at the ready, in the back pockets. A bandanna, around my neck, to act as a dust filter. Really... no one cares what I look like, including me.
Old 07-03-20, 11:33 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4558 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
The Tusken Raider mask looks a little out of place, at least on a c&v ride.

I can understand with your modern carbon bike.
I was thinking Scramble Suit from A Scanner Darkly. But pretty close.

Old 07-03-20, 11:48 PM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 963 Post(s)
Liked 1,447 Times in 721 Posts
Yup, this thread is coming along nicely. Everybody has a personal preference, and it's, well, personal!

So far, we've got two flavors of koolaid (Grant and Jan), everyday-is-Dirty-Kanza visibility, a couple normal people in lyrca shorts, Arnold Schwarzenegger, and a smelly guy. I like this thread. The breakdown is intriguing to me for whatever reason
Old 07-03-20, 11:51 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4558 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
My first cycling kit in the 1970s was a plain green merino wool jersey and black merino wool shorts with chamois pad. My current favorite kit for summer rides is pretty much the same, just updated to more practical and lighter weight synthetic material - a Garneau Lemmon II jersey and inexpensive Przewalski shorts. My thighs are a bit long out of proportion to my legs so most shorts and bibs fit me shorty-shorts style, kinda like the Anquetil and Merckx era shorts.

Pretty close to what I wore in 1978, just newer fabrics. Better helmets. Clipless instead of Detto Pietros. Grayer hair. Slower.
Old 07-04-20, 01:11 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Originally Posted by branko_76
Wildwood , no boondockers?......

Urban dic for boondocker:
https://www.urbandictionary.com/defi...erm=Boondocker

a person who enjoys the out of doors and may frequent National Forests and BLM land in their quest for freedom and solitude.
Physically
and
metaphysically.

aaahhhhhhhhh mmmmmmmmmmmmmm

conch blessing

Last edited by Wildwood; 07-04-20 at 01:17 AM.
Likes For Wildwood:
Old 07-04-20, 06:56 AM
branko_76 

Originally Posted by Wildwood
Urban dic for boondocker:
https://www.urbandictionary.com/defi...erm=Boondocker

a person who enjoys the out of doors and may frequent National Forests and BLM land in their quest for freedom and solitude.
Physically
and
metaphysically.
I'll take that too....it keys in nicely with being out at sea which was the last time I wore my boondockers
Likes For branko_76:
Old 07-04-20, 08:30 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Originally Posted by branko_76
I'll take that too....it keys in nicely with being out at sea which was the last time I wore my boondockers

The last time I swabbed a rolling deck, I wore your boondockers.
Old 07-04-20, 09:15 AM
mountaindave 
tantum vehi

Bikes: More than I care to admit

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 1166 Post(s)
Liked 962 Times in 480 Posts
Originally Posted by scarlson
Yup, this thread is coming along nicely. Everybody has a personal preference, and it's, well, personal.
Yup, whatever makes you comfortable, wear it.

I prefer wool pants rolled up below the knees with over-the-calf socks and long sleeved tops - wool sweaters of varying density depending on the weather - but always in layers on cold mornings because they don’t always stay that way. I have rediscovered wool as a near miracle fiber (I’m a stinky old man too) - most tight-fitting plastic stuff acquires a funk that just wont go away. I will wear a light fishing shirt - they match the needs of cyclists quite well.

It was fun last year riding Going to the Sun Road in a cloudy drizzle and being caught by a full-Lycra kid, then staying with him the rest of the way at his pace. He was surprised that “such an old bike” with a handlebar bag could be as quick as his wunderkarbon. He was also a bit chagrined when I wanted to climb over a small snow slide to go further - he was freezing and had to turn back (his 10-mile descent was going to be even colder!). I was fine in three layers of wool - I ate my sandwich while I watched snow continuously fall down a large slide that kept me from the top. A windbreaker kept me warm enough on the descent.

“There’s no such thing as poor weather, just poor clothing choices.”
Old 07-04-20, 10:53 AM
iab

Mentioned: 200 Post(s)
Quoted: 2992 Post(s)
Liked 3,704 Times in 1,392 Posts
For me, it's time on the bike. Under around 75 minutes, I'll wear just about anything (no nudity please, ick). Over around 75 minutes, stretchy cycling clothes. Stuff flapping in the wind for too much time or an unpadded butt is uncomfortable for me.
Old 07-04-20, 12:01 PM
BFisher

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked 1,897 Times in 889 Posts
For shoes I opted for a pair of Giro Rumbles this year and am happy with them on old style pedals and toe clips/straps.
Old 07-04-20, 01:32 PM
Murray Missile 

Bikes: More than there were awhile ago.

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 575 Posts
People look at me like I'm crazy but I wear old blue jeans, a t-shirt and Shimano MTB shoes or GIROS with no cleats for all riding. I did the whole kit thing years ago but these days nobody wants to see that LOL. I'm just as comfortable in my old blue jeans and a t-shirt and no one has tried pouring bleach in their eyes after I rode by, at least not until I was out of sight. I know I look like some guy with a DUI on a stolen bike but that's how I roll.
Old 07-04-20, 07:15 PM
gthomson

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale Caad 8, 2010 Opus Fidelio, 1985 Peugeot UO14, 1999 Peugeot Dune, Sakai Select, L'Avantage, 1971 Gitane Apache Standard, 1999 Specialized Hard Rock

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 543 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 299 Posts
Huh really cool to see all the responses and I will admit to being naïve about the different options. I never knew wool jerseys actually existed? I ride my vintage bike for fun mostly and leave the long rides for my newer road bikes with cycling jersey, lycra cycling shorts and clipped in pedals. When I do these rides, it's a production and I really hate all the preparation and much prefer a pair of comfortable shorts, a t shirt and running shoes but if you ride in summer weather these get sweaty real quick. If I know I'm going for a longer ride I put on gym shorts and technical performance t shirt.
What did 80's cycling shoes look like?
Old 07-04-20, 07:19 PM
texaspandj

Bikes: '85, '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 379 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
My first cycling kit in the 1970s was a plain green merino wool jersey and black merino wool shorts with chamois pad. My current favorite kit for summer rides is pretty much the same, just updated to more practical and lighter weight synthetic material - a Garneau Lemmon II jersey and inexpensive Przewalski shorts. My thighs are a bit long out of proportion to my legs so most shorts and bibs fit me shorty-shorts style, kinda like the Anquetil and Merckx era shorts.

Pretty close to what I wore in 1978, just newer fabrics. Better helmets. Clipless instead of Detto Pietros. Grayer hair. Slower.
I thought to ride vintage you needed the prerequisite pot belly.
Likes For texaspandj:
Old 07-04-20, 08:25 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked 1,040 Times in 663 Posts
I don’t use any cycling specific gear I can stand to do without.

I don’t have much in the way of jerseys but I usually wear cycling shorts because they help. I’m going to check out those tourist shorts.

It’s hot these days so I just wear white tees with the sleeves cut out and lots of sunscreen.

In progressively cooler weather, I will wear normal tees, long sleeve tees, Duofold base layers, maybe layer those and below about 50F I’ll add my windbreaker.

I’ve been using platform pedals so I wear Nike knit shoes or Keen sandals.

I always wear cycling gloves, firstly to protect my hands and second for comfort. In the cold I have warmer Trek gloves that get me down to about 30F before I take it inside.

These days of course I wear a helmet. Back in the 70s I would just have a cap to keep the sun out of my eyes. I wear glasses now and almost always wear clip on sunglasses.

Otto

Last edited by ofajen; 07-04-20 at 08:29 PM.
Old 07-04-20, 08:46 PM
greatscott

Bikes: 1984 Fuji Club, Suntour ARX; 2013 Lynskey Peloton, mostly 105 with Ultegra rear derailleur, Enve 2.0 fork; 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c, full Deore with TRP dual piston mech disk brakes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 71 Posts
I don't get into the fashion thing when I ride either my vintage or modern bikes, I'm not Chris Froome, nor do I want to pretend to be him. I only have one jersey that is a team jersey because I use to race out of that bike shop many moons ago, though they don't race out of that store anymore they still sell a store jersey, and when I went back to that store a couple of years ago I picked up the jersey as a memory thing. Otherwise I just wear plain single colored jerseys with no gaudy prints, or advertisements plastered all over.

But I do wear fake boobs and fake dreadlocks when I ride...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.