Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Full Sus or hardtail

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Full Sus or hardtail

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-20, 08:00 AM
Unknowny

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Full Sus or hardtail

Hello guys! I own a Scott Scale 950 from 2019 and i want to change it because i got a lot better. I am 1,78m and almost 60kg. My maximum buget is 3200 euros and i am looking for the best. To be honest I don't really know what to choose hardatil or full sus. I am extremly competitive but somtimes i just want to relax jumping. A full sus would be great but it is around 1,5kg heavier...which means sometihnig in a race. The hardtail is extremly fast but it is also very stiff and rigid and you can't play that much with it. I was looking at Trek Supercaliber which supposed to be very light,but it actually isn't ) and it's extremly expensiv... What do you recomand me? Every feedback is welcome! Thanks a lot!
Old 08-10-20, 09:22 AM
qclabrat

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by Unknowny
Hello guys! I own a Scott Scale 950 from 2019 and i want to change it because i got a lot better. I am 1,78m and almost 60kg. My maximum buget is 3200 euros and i am looking for the best. To be honest I don't really know what to choose hardatil or full sus. I am extremly competitive but somtimes i just want to relax jumping. A full sus would be great but it is around 1,5kg heavier...which means sometihnig in a race. The hardtail is extremly fast but it is also very stiff and rigid and you can't play that much with it. I was looking at Trek Supercaliber which supposed to be very light,but it actually isn't ) and it's extremly expensiv... What do you recomand me? Every feedback is welcome! Thanks a lot!
Have you ridden a full suspension where you ride most often. Demos will tell you what you want not us here. Scott makes good XC bikes, ask Nino, the Spark 930 seems close to your range, but don't expect a comparably price hardtail to weigh the same, it just doesn't work that way.
Old 08-10-20, 09:51 AM
Unknowny

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm sorry but i don't know how/what is Demos. Can you help me please? To be honest I rode a rockrider 540S maybe it sounds weird but to be honest, on decends it was a HUGE difference and here the idea of full sus. I am not loking especially at Scott but if i have to choose scott it will defenetly be Spark Rc 900 Team Red/Black but it is a bit over... Do you think i can find something unde 11 kg? Or should I stay to the hardtail because i want also to be fast...? Anyway thanks!
Old 08-10-20, 02:09 PM
PaulRivers

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
I'm sorry but i don't know how/what is Demos. Can you help me please?
Demo's are where you go and get to ride and try out different bikes yourself, for free.

Like here's a listing page for specialized:
https://www.specialized.com/us/en/demo-and-events
Old 08-11-20, 06:59 AM
Canker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 133 Posts
https://www.pinkbike.com/news/field-...und-table.html
They just did some test of all out race bikes that might interest you. Those are all top of the line but most come in a cheaper version that MIGHT fit into your budget. Now if you want something race mixed with fun I think I'd start looking at "down country" bikes. Down country is the newer BS term for XC bikes with a bit more travel.
Old 08-11-20, 07:13 AM
Unknowny

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks! Do you refer at those with around 60mm travel? Like Supercaliber which I was also looking but it was extremly expensive.... Do you know something in this category at 10,5kg-11kg in my buget, not more than 4000 dolars? Thanks again!
Old 08-12-20, 05:07 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
You are way too focused on weight. On rougher trails an FS will often still be faster.

Full suspension is just one example of something that weighs more but in some cases makes you faster.
Old 08-12-20, 08:22 AM
Unknowny

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's true. I'm a light man and it matters more to me the weight. Of course i want it to be as light as possible. To be honest, i think overall the hardtail is a bit faster. What do you think?
Old 08-12-20, 09:50 AM
BikeLite

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 93 Posts
The faster bike depends on bike, terrain and rider.
Old 08-12-20, 09:56 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

That's true. I'm a light man and it matters more to me the weight. Of course i want it to be as light as possible. To be honest, i think overall the hardtail is a bit faster. What do you think?
If you really want to know what is Point A to B fastest - all else be damned - look at pro XC racing: you will see a mix of HT and FS. The ratio probably depends on the course. If you are riding mostly smoother trails, then I guess a HT is probably faster. But even moderately rough, and I think the benefits of the FS start to outweigh the weight. It is not just on the DH sections that it helps, but even flat/rolling terrain and many climbs.... Rear suspension keeps the rear tire in contact with the ground, and allows you to put power down in places that the HT is bouncing from root to root.
Old 08-13-20, 08:24 AM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
Thanks! Do you refer at those with around 60mm travel? Like Supercaliber which I was also looking but it was extremly expensive.... Do you know something in this category at 10,5kg-11kg in my buget, not more than 4000 dolars? Thanks again!

Not new -- used maybe
Old 08-14-20, 12:22 AM
Amt0571

Bikes: Canyon Grand Canyon AL SL 8.0, Triban RC520 Gravel Ltd, Btwin Ultra 520 AF GF, Triban Road 7, Benotto 850

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked 215 Times in 137 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
You are way too focused on weight. On rougher trails an FS will often still be faster.

Full suspension is just one example of something that weighs more but in some cases makes you faster.
But in some cases makes you slower. And it requires more maintenance for sure.

It's a decision that only the OP can make.
Old 08-14-20, 07:01 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Originally Posted by Amt0571
But in some cases makes you slower. And it requires more maintenance for sure.

It's a decision that only the OP can make.
Uh... did you miss the part where the OP said he was not sure which to get and wants input?

And did you miss the part where I said which is faster depends on the terrain?