Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Simplex RD question

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Simplex RD question

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-20, 07:45 PM
ltokuno

Bikes: Masi, Olmo, Miele, Masi, Masi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 23 Posts
Simplex RD question

I have a simplex RD to use on my Peugeot PX10. This new RD has a hanger attached to it which seems to limit the rearward travel of the main body. Taking the hanger off is easy enough, and it looks like the mounting nut could be used on the RD mount in the dropout. Is there any problem with just removing the hanger and just bolting it to the dropout?

The hanger in question.

No threads in there.
Old 09-11-20, 12:33 PM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 759 Times in 568 Posts
Be careful not to commit the Simplex rear derailleur cardinal rule as I did in post number 21 here --> https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...hink-play.html
Old 09-11-20, 02:08 PM
alexnagui

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 113 Times in 64 Posts
Which model exactly do you have? With most of Simplex derailleurs removing the hanger won't work for you because the mounting bols are different for two versions plus you will need some extra bits. See the scheme below for SX 410 derailleurs. It's much easier to find the proper version without a hanger than to modify it from one version to the other.

Old 09-11-20, 10:56 PM
ltokuno

Originally Posted by hokiefyd
Be careful not to commit the Simplex rear derailleur cardinal rule as I did in post number 21 here --> https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...hink-play.html
Actually it was that post that alerted me to the nut in the back. So that's for that. =)
Old 09-11-20, 11:00 PM
ltokuno

Originally Posted by alexnagui
Which model exactly do you have? With most of Simplex derailleurs removing the hanger won't work for you because the mounting bols are different for two versions plus you will need some extra bits. See the scheme below for SX 410 derailleurs. It's much easier to find the proper version without a hanger than to modify it from one version to the other.
If I have things nailed down it's a SJ810gt. At least the docs on Disraeli Gears point to that model. I think you're right about the extra bits. If (big if) I could find them they might cost more than a good used Suntour RD. I'll probably just go that route. Thanks!
Old 09-12-20, 05:12 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1607 Post(s)
Liked 2,214 Times in 1,103 Posts
Based on the diagram, there is not simple in Simplex! Even the RD body is different!
Old 09-12-20, 09:11 AM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked 1,739 Times in 630 Posts
Originally Posted by ltokuno
If I have things nailed down it's a SJ810gt. At least the docs on Disraeli Gears point to that model. I think you're right about the extra bits. If (big if) I could find them they might cost more than a good used Suntour RD. I'll probably just go that route. Thanks!
A Suntour RD will not readily bolt to this bike since the DR hanger is different no threading or stop tab. If you want to run a none Simplex RD you will need to modify the hanger. On a PX-10 your best option is to find a nicer Simplex DR that is right for the bike.
Old 09-12-20, 11:26 AM
alexnagui

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 113 Times in 64 Posts
Originally Posted by SJX426
Based on the diagram, there is not simple in Simplex! Even the RD body is different!
That's right! I kinda missed that..