Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

cop has right-of-way, but yields anyway

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

cop has right-of-way, but yields anyway

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-20, 09:57 AM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Originally Posted by njkayaker
Yes.

Though, the likelihood that people will arrive anywhere like exactly the same time is very, very low.
Actually happens frequently around here.

Around Pittsburgh, it's usually resolved similar to the Pittsburgh left - after you. (Cooperative model.)

Around Boston, it's usually resolved the way many MA Holes resolve everything - after me. (Aggressively uncooperative model, first mover wins. More accurately, the person rolling the stop fastest wins. If still not resolved, the MA Hole with the most dents/oldest/crappiest vehicle wins. If still not resolved, more dents.)

In any case, sharing the roadways requires some amount of cooperation.

People yield right-of-w​​​​ay fairly regularly. The people here who are upset with it must be upset often.
Or they don't like their noses?

-mr. bill

Last edited by mr_bill; 09-28-20 at 10:02 AM.
Old 09-28-20, 12:05 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Yes.

Though, the likelihood that people will arrive anywhere like exactly the same time is very, very low.

===================

In any case, sharing the roadways requires some amount of cooperation.

People yield right-of-w​​​​ay fairly regularly. The people here who are upset with it must be upset often.
Except that someone sitting at an intersection hasn't yielded until you go, and he doesn't hit you. You may think he intends to yield, and most often he will, but sitting there is not yielding, Waving at you is not yielding.

When someone is sitting there out of turn, and you go, and then he hits you guess what? You failed to yield. "But Officer, he waved me to go" The officer will tell you that's irrelevant - the other driver cannot direct traffic, his gesture is not a valid traffic signal, and it (and his sitting there) does not constitute yielding the right of way. He can cite you for failure to yield, and your own insurance will take a hit.

That's why it's always an act of trust to proceed out of turn. Even with a police officer. sitting in his patrol car. He may think he's directing traffic, but he could be waving at a gnat for all you know. He has a loud speaker. He can get out of his car and direct traffic in the lawful manner. And yet it's not feasible to argue with him about it, because it will be trouble for you and just an ego trip for him. But after you proceed, if he wants to and if he's a low sort, he can pull out behind you, flash his lights and cite you for failure to yield. It still comes down to you, trusting him.

I'd take it situationally. If the cop looks like he's engrossed in his donut, smartphone, smoking a joint or whatever I'd just go. If he's on his radio or otherwise suspicious, I'll turn right instead of crossing him.
Old 09-28-20, 12:50 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4246 Post(s)
Liked 1,351 Times in 937 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
Except that someone sitting at an intersection hasn't yielded until you go, and he doesn't hit you. You may think he intends to yield, and most often he will, but sitting there is not yielding, Waving at you is not yielding.
Not completely different than stopped cars at stop lights.

But waving you through is exactly what they intend.
He may think he's directing traffic, but he could be waving at a gnat for all you know.
The problem with surmising intent.

That's why it's always an act of trust to proceed out of turn.
It's an "act of trust" to be on the roadways (not just when "out of turn").

=================

I'd take it situationally.
There are times when not going when people yield is (appears to be) the less safe option.

Drivers might be choosing to yield because they have no idea what the cyclist is going to do.

Last edited by njkayaker; 09-28-20 at 01:08 PM.
Old 09-28-20, 12:52 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4246 Post(s)
Liked 1,351 Times in 937 Posts
Originally Posted by mr_bill
Actually happens frequently around here.
It might look like it but all 4 arriving at "exactly" the same time is likely still rare.

But when people think that it happens, they either have to cooperate or yield to the most apparently assertive driver.

Last edited by njkayaker; 09-28-20 at 01:00 PM.
Old 09-28-20, 04:25 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 571 Posts
Can't get this song out of my head when reading this thread:

Old 09-29-20, 02:03 PM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
After You, Christopher Cordingley, Siggraph Electronic Theater 2003

-mr. bill

Last edited by mr_bill; 09-29-20 at 02:13 PM.
Old 09-30-20, 08:31 PM
Tomm Willians

Bikes: Subject to change at any given moment but currently is...... Colnago Mapei, Colnago C40, Wilier Triestina Carbon, Wilier Triestina Ramato, Follis 472, Peugeot PX60, Razesa, Orbea Terra, Soma Pescadero and 1/2 owner of a Santana tandem.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 264 Posts
Originally Posted by c_m_shooter
Whenever that has happened in the past, they followed me until they could make up a reason to pull me over.
I’m calling BS here ....
Old 09-30-20, 08:34 PM
Tomm Willians

Bikes: Subject to change at any given moment but currently is...... Colnago Mapei, Colnago C40, Wilier Triestina Carbon, Wilier Triestina Ramato, Follis 472, Peugeot PX60, Razesa, Orbea Terra, Soma Pescadero and 1/2 owner of a Santana tandem.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 264 Posts
Why not simply interpret it as an act of generosity and go on with your ride ? He/she halted their movement for your convenience, can’t see an issue here.
Old 10-01-20, 07:26 AM
c_m_shooter

Bikes: Soma Pescadero, Surly Pugsley, Salsa Fargo, Schwinn Klunker, Gravity SS 27.5, Monocog 29er

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 166 Posts
Originally Posted by Tomm Willians
I’m calling BS here ....
When I worked night shift (15 years) I got pulled over once a week going through small towns on the way home. It didn't matter if I did anything wrong or not. My wife works nights now. She has a cdl and drives 5-10mph under the speed limit (it pisses me off to ride in a car with her) at all times. Now she gets pulled over every week or so coming home from work. She didn't believe me until it started with her.
Old 10-01-20, 10:38 AM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 1,014 Times in 696 Posts
When I worked night shift (15 years) I got pulled over once a week going through small towns on the way home. It didn't matter if I did anything wrong or not. My wife works nights now. She has a cdl and drives 5-10mph under the speed limit (it pisses me off to ride in a car with her) at all times. Now she gets pulled over every week or so coming home from work. She didn't believe me until it started with her.
Sounds like typical sundowner towns. Whatever keeps the deputy from sleeping in the cruiser, i guess.
Old 10-01-20, 12:46 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,534 Times in 1,044 Posts
Did any of these "pull overs" involve more than a pleasant conversation from the LEO? Any tickets or warnings issued or threatened?
Old 10-01-20, 05:08 PM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 1,014 Times in 696 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Did any of these "pull overs" involve more than a pleasant conversation from the LEO? Any tickets or warnings issued or threatened?
I wouldn't care after the second time. It's fishing.
Old 10-02-20, 10:33 AM
Notso_fastLane

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 418 Posts
Normally, I check to make sure there aren't any other hazards and proceed.

With a cop, I can't help thinking:
https://wompampsupport.azureedge.net...2Fitsatrap.jpg
Old 10-02-20, 10:52 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3883 Post(s)
Liked 6,476 Times in 3,205 Posts
Originally Posted by epnnf
Happens all the time- a given car will have the right-of-way, but still yield to me (I'm sure cause I'm a bike). Frustrating.
This kind of crap slows me down all the time. Sometimes, if it's just one car, I can slow way down and give the guy some incentive to go. 'Cause I don't want to unclip for anything. Sometimes, I don't argue. Just wave to the soccer mom and go. If they look sketchy in the slightest, I will turn right or something to get out of their way. Tonight, I noticed a real passive driver creeping along on my right towards a 4-way stop. I didn't stop. I turned right, pulled a quick u-turn, passed him on his right, and turned right again. He just sat there in a daze.
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 10-11-20, 08:43 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Simple explanation. The policeman was on patrol. He was in no hurry, and just was being nice.
Old 10-11-20, 08:55 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
Or he was being sneaky, and was "testing" you, to see what you'd do. Ignore him, "failure to follow a traffic officer's command". Go through, and it's "failure to yield." He has you either way.
Old 10-11-20, 12:47 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike

Oh, come on. Getting pulled over is never a "pleasant conversation" and the threat of a ticket is implicit in the act of pulling one over.

No idea how often the poster was actually being pulled over, but if there is a pattern of it, that by itself is unnerving.