Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Modern Steel Road Bike Appreciation Thread

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Modern Steel Road Bike Appreciation Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-16, 04:53 PM
joejack951

Bikes: 2016 Hong Fu FM-079-F, 1984 Trek 660, 2005 Iron Horse Warrior Expert, 2009 Pedal Force CX1, 2016 Islabikes Beinn 20 (son's)

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1242 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
Yes to the above. Welded, seamed tubing has never, to my knowledge, been shown to be defensive to seamless tubing. I suspect the toughness of the stainless just makes seamless extrusion too difficult.
Stainless seamless tubing is drawn all the time, including high strength alloys. The food, medical, and pharma industries use tons of it. Sandvik (High-performance stainless tube and pipe ? Sandvik Materials Technology) is a big player in this market and has a pretty awesome manufacturing plant near me (got a tour while putting together a proposal for a semi-automated inspection camera system, project never happened, though). This maraging alloy is clearly a different beast. I do wonder which it is the forces the seamed tubing process, the maraging alloy, the chromium, or both.
Old 01-25-16, 04:53 PM
RollCNY
Speechless

Bikes: Felt Brougham, Lotus Prestige, Cinelli Xperience,

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by dr_lha
Honestly though, I love the attempts to derail this thread. Some have certainly worked.
Isn't a "Steel Appreciation Thread", modern or otherwise, a great deal like having " White History Month"? Most of us own steel bikes, know the history of steel bikes, have favorites from our past, and are window shopping our next one. Most of the bikes here, including your Ritchey, can hold there own in any of the Hot or not threads, and don't need a sheltered space. Having a special space just adds more to the rambling stupid commentary in the balance of the 41.

The BB stiffness thread is an us versus them thread.

The new versus old aluminum thread was a chance for the age all "all aluminum harsh, all steel good" argument.

Even the BD vs piecemeal build hovers around a steel Motobecane.

Mayhaps I am overly sensitive, but good golly, these are all bicycles. Why do people need so much affirmation that they have the best one? I am not trying to harsh on the OP, but steel doesn't need defending. IMHO, defending it fuels the bickering.

Sorry. Just really feeling the futility of discussion forums.
Old 01-25-16, 05:11 PM
Jarrett2

Bikes: Steel 1x's

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I think I stated the premise and reason behind this thread in the OP. It's not a place to bicker, just a spot to share and fawn over modern steel road bikes.

Just a couple of posts back someone was happy to find this thread because they are considering a steel road bike. That's a good reason to have this info located in one thread as well.

Originally Posted by RollCNY
Just really feeling the futility of discussion forums.
And there's no requirement to participate if you don't like the thread
Old 01-25-16, 06:04 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1980 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
Originally Posted by joejack951
I do wonder which it is the forces the seamed tubing process, the maraging alloy, the chromium, or both.
Relative to the tubing manufacturer you linked, could it have to do with factors like butting? The use cases are very different.
Old 01-25-16, 06:17 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7662 Post(s)
Liked 3,510 Times in 1,850 Posts
I come to this thread not for the debate that is here ( I bring my own, thank you) but to look at beautiful steel bikes that I will likely not be able to afford unless several miracles happen. I also come here to steal paint ideas, measure other people's seat-bar drops, and calculate stem lengths and angles versus frame size---so I have enough information to understand what others are debating.
Old 01-25-16, 06:20 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1582 Post(s)
Liked 1,206 Times in 612 Posts
Originally Posted by rmfnla
If it works for you it's a good bike.

Yeah, the straight sweep of my original MTB bars (CF Synchros) didn't feel very natural. Think about it; if you just hold your hands out they naturally are in the vertical position, not horizontal.

I looked at several high-end bars (i.e. Nitto) but couldn't find the style I wanted. eBay to the rescue, and at a bargain price:

Mary Style Mountain Bike MTB Handlebar Bar | eBay

Much happier with this set-up and I think it looks better as well...
Many thanks for this; might follow up and try a different bar.
Now, I'll bow out and let this thread return to its regularly-scheduled programming.
Old 01-25-16, 06:31 PM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1270 Post(s)
Liked 1,302 Times in 719 Posts
And c'mon! Someone has to comment on the angle of those handlebars
What, they're pointing at the rear brake, just like The Rules state they should.
The fact that the bike is sporting disc brakes shouldn't alter our generalizations, right?
Old 01-25-16, 06:31 PM
Scooper
Decrepit Member

Bikes: Waterford 953 RS-22, several Paramounts

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 57 Posts
This maraging alloy is clearly a different beast. I do wonder which it is the forces the seamed tubing process, the maraging alloy, the chromium, or both.
I wrote directly to Keith Noronha, managing director of Reynolds Technology, about the 953 manufacturing process. He graciously replied:

Originally Posted by Keith Noronha
Although Reynolds do not have documents we can release regarding the manufacturing process for 953 frame-sets, I can mention some aspects that may be of specific interest to you:

- The basic concept of 953 butting does follow the principle established in the Reynolds patent of 1898! See page 6 attached.

- But as the strength of materials has more than quadrupled since then, we have to use higher strength mandrels and cold-drawing dies now.

- We also had to develop a new lubrication system for the cold-draw operation because the tubes are thinner wall, stainless and much harder to start with (affecting the amount of energy needed to cold-draw the tubes).

- The starting size tubes and subsequent heat-treatment process has to allow for the “maraging” transformation in the metal (this changes the dimensions of the tube more than a typical steel like 853/725). Otherwise the tubes would not fit normal lugs!

- For items like the seat stays and chainstays, these have to be cold-drawn and re-annealed several times from a large starting size tube before we can turn them into the shaped parts you see on the frame. With conventional steels, we buy in tubes at the size needed.

- Because the production of the seamed tubes was a challenge around 2008-2010 from that supplier, we had to change sourcing for the start size material to improve the quality. We have to accept that even making the raw material tube from the “sheet” is not an easy task and adds cost into the product! The alloy used will only be sourced from Carpenter in PA, USA.

Hope this helps,

Best Regards
Keith Noronha
Managing Director
Reynolds Technology Ltd
Reynolds Technology
As someone noted above, the raw material for 953 is Carpenter Custom 455®.

my bikes

Science doesn't care what you believe.
Old 01-25-16, 06:35 PM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Scooper
I wrote directly to Keith Noronha, managing director of Reynolds Technology, about the 953 manufacturing process. He graciously replied:

As someone noted above, the raw material for 953 is Carpenter Custom 455®.
Carpenter is a kick-ass supplier of stainless alloys. You can't do better.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 01-25-16, 06:39 PM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Also you have to respect an invention that is still the basis of a process nearly 120 years after the patent date.

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 01-25-16, 06:42 PM
katzenfinch

Bikes: Chapman Rando, Rivendell Atlantis, Trek 2100, Bridgestone MB5, Burley Duet, Trek 614

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
Is everyone done bickering yet?

Here’s a photo of my bike. It looks traditional, but the frame and components are new. I like it a lot.

Old 01-25-16, 06:50 PM
Scooper
Decrepit Member

Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
Carpenter is a kick-ass supplier of stainless alloys. You can't do better.
From my limited layman's knowledge, I'm inclined to agree.

Separately, I wrote Reynolds several years ago about fracture toughness, hardness, and ductility/brittleness of aged 953, and Terry Bill replied (this was before Terry retired). I wrote up Terry's reply, accurately paraphrasing.

In response to my query about strength, hardness and ductility (brittleness) of 953 specifically, Reynolds replied that (accurately paraphrasing) for 953, the alloy chemistry and structure after martensitic aging (maraging) results in a material with optimal strength (measured in MPa) and toughness (measured by a stress intensity factor, K). This is because the strengthening comes via iron-nickel lath (plate) martensite and inter-metallic fine precipates - so the result is a very strong, hard tube that is also very tough. The base material for Reynolds 953 is Carpenter Custom 455 stainless steel, developed by Carpenter Research Laboratory, and used for armor plating and for manufacturing landing gear components on combat jet aircraft designed for landing on aircraft carriers. In these applications, toughness without fracturing is a paramount objective.

To test the toughness of 953, Reynolds subjected round tubes of various diameters and wall thickness to "flattening" tests (from round to oval of less than 70% of the original diameter without any sign of cracking along the tube). Basically, fracture toughness is the resistance of a material to abrupt, brittle failure at stresses below its yield strength when various stress concentrations are present. It is described by a stress intensity parameter, K. 953 exhibits very good fracture toughness.
I can personally attest to the corrosion resistance, resistance to denting (even with walls as thin as 0.3mm), and toughness. My 953 Waterford has been ridden hard in all kinds of weather for ~12,000 miles. I haven't abused it, but it hasn't been babied either. I live a mile from the salt air environment of the Pacific Ocean. In the nine years I've had it, there hasn't been the slightest evidence of rust or corrosion, and there are no dents anywhere on the frame. The polished finish looks exactly like it did when I took delivery in early 2007.

my bikes

Last edited by Scooper; 01-25-16 at 06:54 PM.
Old 01-25-16, 06:56 PM
Scooper
Decrepit Member

Originally Posted by katzenfinch
Is everyone done bickering yet?

Here’s a photo of my bike. It looks traditional, but the frame and components are new. I like it a lot.
That's gorgeous! What size tires?

my bikes

Old 01-25-16, 06:56 PM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
I come to this thread not for the debate that is here ( I bring my own, thank you) but to look at beautiful steel bikes that I will likely not be able to afford unless several miracles happen. I also come here to steal paint ideas, measure other people's seat-bar drops, and calculate stem lengths and angles versus frame size---so I have enough information to understand what others are debating.
E-Bay is your potential friend This frame was $2500 in 2004 -- its now mine for the princely sum of $500 --- complete with integrated headset, stiff carbon fork and a modern appearance -- you just need to feel pretty confident in what size you need, naturally

I wasn't specifically looking for this frame , rather i was looking for any later production Italian steel frame - but after i saw it, i did a little research and placed a bid.

--- I promise to post a pic when the build is done -- i ran into complications with a shifter and a couple other small issues that i need to run to the bike shop for (cable ends, longer recessed brake bolts -- things like that )

Regarding seat to bar and stem length -- right now this is not one to look at too critically -- that stem is just there to hold the bars on

Old 01-25-16, 07:01 PM
katzenfinch

Bikes: Chapman Rando, Rivendell Atlantis, Trek 2100, Bridgestone MB5, Burley Duet, Trek 614

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
That's gorgeous! What size tires?
Thanks! The tires are Compass 650B x 42s.
Old 01-25-16, 07:07 PM
Scooper
Decrepit Member

Ah, Jan Heine. They look really good with that frameset.

P.S. That gearing looks like you could tackle Mount Everest.

my bikes

Last edited by Scooper; 01-25-16 at 07:11 PM.
Old 01-25-16, 10:49 PM
Unagidon

Bikes: 19 Look 765 Gravel RS, 18 Cervelo C5, 13 Niner Jet9 RDO, 08 Surly Crosscheck, 05 Serotta Fierte

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My Kona Roadhouse should be ready by the coming weekend. Can't wait, but the weather is kinda sucky here. Hope it'll get decent enough for me to do at least a 30 mile ride. Will post pics when available.
Old 01-26-16, 04:39 AM
kbarch

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I really appreciate this Inox frame. A little bit of paint, a little bit of skin.... More modern in this scheme

Also available in white + blue, with a little more classic look.

Last edited by kbarch; 01-26-16 at 04:45 AM.
Old 01-26-16, 05:10 AM
redfooj
pluralis majestatis

Bikes: a DuhRosa

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 537 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
paint is too busy, and those modern campy cranks are an eyesore, but the aesthetic proportions and geometry are lovely. wonder what the handlebars are... shaped a bit like my Deda
Old 01-26-16, 05:53 AM
kbarch

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by redfooj
paint is too busy, and those modern campy cranks are an eyesore, but the aesthetic proportions and geometry are lovely. wonder what the handlebars are... shaped a bit like my Deda
Yes, those cranks are unfortunate. The "busy" critique is understandable too, but the black isn't as fussy as the white, and it's not random; scrutinizing it actually pays off. I don't care for the wheels on the white one, but with alloy rims especially, I would have gone with silver alloy components, too. Too bad they only go as high as Athena in silver alloy.
If you go for their regular build kit, the bars are in fact Deda, like the stem and seatpost (which are just custom painted).
Old 01-26-16, 06:11 AM
joejack951

Bikes: 2016 Hong Fu FM-079-F, 1984 Trek 660, 2005 Iron Horse Warrior Expert, 2009 Pedal Force CX1, 2016 Islabikes Beinn 20 (son's)

Originally Posted by kbarch
I really appreciate this Inox frame. A little bit of paint, a little bit of skin.... More modern in this scheme

How is the seatpost clamped in place? It almost looks like an integrated mast in this paint scheme. Aside from the awkward crank, I love it.
Old 01-26-16, 06:15 AM
Scooper
Decrepit Member

The Casati Inox RS is fillet brazed Columbus XCr stainless, and the paint scheme cleverly covers all of the fillet brazed joints. I think it works nicely. The yellowish brass at the fillet brazed joints contrasts with the silver stainless tubes on an unpainted frame, and can be distracting.

The SOMA Smoothie SS has an unpainted fillet brazed stainless frame. Some folks like the contrasting brass color of the fillet brazed joints, some don't.

my bikes

Old 01-26-16, 06:26 AM
joejack951

Originally Posted by HTupolev
Relative to the tubing manufacturer you linked, could it have to do with factors like butting? The use cases are very different.
Scooter's contribution straight from the horse's mouth says that no, the butting isn't the issue. But, Scooter also mentions in his paraphrasing from another Reynold's response that this metal was "developed by Carpenter Research Laboratory, and used for armor plating and for manufacturing landing gear components on combat jet aircraft designed for landing on aircraft carriers." Given that and from what I've found available in terms of raw material in 455 (such as from Ulbrich: https://www.ulbrich.com/custom-455/), I'm inclined to think that Reynold's is forming and welding tubes simply because they can't purchase 455 in a seamless tube configuration. I don't believe Reynolds actually does seamless drawing of tube (focusing on the production of tubesets instead, i.e. doing the final forming, adding the butted ends, and final heat treatment) but I could be wrong.

Last edited by joejack951; 01-26-16 at 06:29 AM.
Old 01-26-16, 06:41 AM
rpenmanparker 

Scooter's contribution straight from the horse's mouth says that no, the butting isn't the issue. But, Scooter also mentions in his paraphrasing from another Reynold's response that this metal was "developed by Carpenter Research Laboratory, and used for armor plating and for manufacturing landing gear components on combat jet aircraft designed for landing on aircraft carriers." Given that and from what I've found available in terms of raw material in 455 (such as from Ulbrich: https://www.ulbrich.com/custom-455/), I'm inclined to think that Reynold's is forming and welding tubes simply because they can't purchase 455 in a seamless tube configuration. I don't believe Reynolds actually does seamless drawing of tube (focusing on the production of tubesets instead, i.e. doing the final forming, adding the butted ends, and final heat treatment) but I could be wrong.
I think they used to make the seamless tubes that they started the process with, but streamlined their process to just working purchased tubes down to final butts and gauges. So it could be that seamless starting tubes aren't available in the Carpenter 455.

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 01-26-16, 07:23 AM
kbarch

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
How is the seatpost clamped in place? It almost looks like an integrated mast in this paint scheme.
Magic.
Actually, there's a small countersunk bolt on the other side. Just a little black dot, or gray dot if you loose the cap.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.