Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Buying shoes online

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Buying shoes online

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-08, 01:39 PM
eb314

Bikes: 07 Cannondale Six13 (9 speed Ultegra) + 19?? Lugged Steel Specialized Allez Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Buying shoes online

Are sizes relatively standard? Anyone buy shoes online? I'm worried about getting the wrong size / buying stuff I haven't tried on.
Old 10-02-08, 01:43 PM
Dubbayoo

Bikes: Pedal Force QS3

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Don't do it!
Old 10-02-08, 01:45 PM
Scorer75

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sizing is not standard, not even close.

As far as buying shoes online, I've done it. I bought 7 pairs of shoes, tried them all on, and returned 6. I don't pay return shipping so it worked out well for me.

Even if you paid return shipping, it's nice to be able to try them on and spend as much time as you like in them before deciding. Also, if return shipping and sales tax are close to the same $$$, it's a win/win.

YMMV.
Old 10-02-08, 01:47 PM
Booger

Bikes: KHS Flite 750

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
They are not at all standard. You would be best served to try them on first. Performance carries Sidi's, and I didn't feel too bad about "abusing" the LBS inventory given the amount of misc. crap I buy there. Well, and it's Performance. Alternately, some choose to buy 2 sizes and return the pair that doesn't fit.
Old 10-02-08, 02:15 PM
eb314

Bikes: 07 Cannondale Six13 (9 speed Ultegra) + 19?? Lugged Steel Specialized Allez Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks guys.
Old 10-02-08, 02:39 PM
pilam99

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought Diadoras and from their size chart I was able to get the correct size.
Old 10-02-08, 02:40 PM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3375 Post(s)
Liked 5,513 Times in 2,856 Posts
Originally Posted by eb314
Are sizes relatively standard? Anyone buy shoes online? I'm worried about getting the wrong size / buying stuff I haven't tried on.
Normally I buy everything *except* footwear online. As a classic example of why, I once replaced a worn out pair of Nike Pegasus running shoes with a new pair of the same make/model. I had to go up a *full* size to get the same fit as the 2-year-old worn out pair. And I tried on various pairs of each size to be sure I hadn't grabbed a mis-labeled pair.

When I bought my first pair of clipless shoes last spring, I first checked my LBS, but their size selection was lousy, and they didn't have any models I liked. However they did have quite a few Pearl Izumi's, so I tried on a few to determine my size. Then, assuming (hoping) PI as least had consistent sizing across their line, I ordered a pair of PI online. It worked out well.
Old 10-02-08, 03:07 PM
RacerOne
Hills hurt.. Couches kill

Bikes: 1991 Specialized Sirrus Triple, 2010 Trek Madone 6.5 Project One, 2012 Cannondale Caad10, 2013 Trek Crockett

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I had an old pair of Shimano size 43's, I bought a new style of Shimano size 43's, they fit pretty much the same.
Old 10-02-08, 03:28 PM
blue_nose
Scottish Canuck in the US

Bikes: Trek 2100, Cervélo Carbon Soloist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would only buy shoes I have tried on.
Old 10-02-08, 05:07 PM
sshakari

Bikes: Canyon Endurace, Merckx liege 75, Cinelli Vigorelli

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 61 Posts
try the shoes on in a store. You can buy from Performance they will take returns in store even if you wore the shoes. As an example of strange sizing of shoes in Sidis I am a 44, Specialized 42.5 but in real shoes I wear a 8/12 or 9. Tough to get the sizing right on road shoes.
Old 10-02-08, 07:55 PM
challaday

Bikes: Too many

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dubbayoo
Don't do it!
+1,000,000

Being too stupid to learn the first or second time, I did it a third time and still didn't get a shoe that properly fit.

What I have learned is that I wear a US size 7 men's in just about every normal shoe there is: Nike, Reebok, Bass, etc.

For cycling, though I wear a 41.5 Duegi, a 41 Sidi, and 40 Nike. I found this out by purchasing a 41 Duegi, a 41.5 Sidi and a 41 Nike.

My son got use out of all those shoes as he was growing past me in size.
Old 10-02-08, 08:48 PM
Motman320

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just got some new shoes today!(and pedals, and a bib, jersey tomorrow)

I would never order shoes online though.

I got a 44 forte`, and I wear 11.5's. 46 too big, 43, too small.
Old 10-02-08, 09:01 PM
sac02
i ride a bicycle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
To repeat the same thing for the 13th time, don't do it. Shoes are a very personal fit thing, try before you buy. Period.

Mac
Old 10-02-08, 09:14 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
I have bought all five of my cycling shoes online, and they have all fit me just fine. In fact, they are my most comfortable shoes!

Go for it! Worst that can happen is that you have to return them. But if you've got a good idea about European sizing, you should be all right.
Old 10-03-08, 01:08 AM
Kambei

Bikes: Schwinn Ranger 2.6 FS (cheap), presently looking at road bikes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wear US size 12. The EU size 45.5 PI's I bought online fit in length but are very narrow.
Old 10-03-08, 01:10 AM
Kambei

Bikes: Schwinn Ranger 2.6 FS (cheap), presently looking at road bikes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE=Scorer75;7591759]As far as buying shoes online, I've done it. I bought 7 pairs of shoes, tried them all on, and returned 6. I don't pay return shipping so it worked out well for me.[QUOTE]

What online shop lets you do this?
Old 10-03-08, 05:17 AM
Hask12

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You can buy on line but you need to use a store that has a real good return policy, and you need to have a bit of patience. You may luck out and get the right size on the first shot but chances are you may have to return a pair or two before you get the right size. And each return will cost you postage. Also keep in mind the sizing is different between each brand. Your other option is to find an LBS that carries the brand that you you want and be fitted properly, although you may have to pay more then you would online.
Old 10-03-08, 08:57 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 724 Times in 371 Posts
Originally Posted by Booger
I didn't feel too bad about "abusing" the LBS inventory given the amount of misc. crap I buy there.

Did you disclose to the store that: "I don't have any intent to buy these shoes from you, but I want to take advantage of your inventory, and use your employee's time to get my size for an online purchase"?

If not, then you're making an implicit misrepresentation to the store, for your personal gain, and at their expense.

I wouldn't advertise that fact.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 10-03-08, 09:14 AM
mmerner
okay maybe not.

Bikes: oh a bunch.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've bought 3 pairs online (sidi, lake and pricepoint brand). All have fit fine.
Old 10-03-08, 01:15 PM
weavers

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Booger
I didn't feel too bad about "abusing" the LBS inventory given the amount of misc. crap I buy there.
i don't think its abusing the lbs inventory either. i mean we all do the same thing with clothing stores. we go in, try on a bunch of cloths and walk out looking for a better deal or a better fit/cut, or a different style. i'm all for supporting local business, but i'm a college student and i need to save money where and when i can. even if means buying something online and i save a 1 dollar and wait a week on shipping well sometimes that is worth it. other times i save hundreds by buying online. anyways i sometimes buy stuff at the lbs or get things fixed or trued when needed.

i suppose i'm also cheap for cooking at home rather than eating out every night and suporting local restaurants too.
Old 10-03-08, 01:27 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 724 Times in 371 Posts
Originally Posted by weavers
i don't think its abusing the lbs inventory either. i mean we all do the same thing with clothing stores. we go in, try on a bunch of cloths and walk out looking for a better deal or a better fit/cut, or a different style. i'm all for supporting local business, but i'm a college student and i need to save money where and when i can. even if means buying something online and i save a 1 dollar and wait a week on shipping well sometimes that is worth it. other times i save hundreds by buying online. anyways i sometimes buy stuff at the lbs or get things fixed or trued when needed.

i suppose i'm also cheap for cooking at home rather than eating out every night and suporting local restaurants too.
Neither of your analogies are analagous. If you have a good faith intent to buy a shirt from a store, there's no misrepresentation in trying on shirts at several stores, and then buying the shirt from the store with the best deal.

However, if you have no intent of buying the shirt from a store, and you just want to find your size to order it on line, then you are misrepresenting yourself to the store, and you are in fact using the store as a means to an end. (read Kant's works while your at School.)

And as for cooking at home, that's fine, but do you expect to go to a restaurant and take up the Chef's time asking how to cook a dish at home, when you don't eat at his restaurant?

A couple of easy tests to determine if you still think this is acceptable behavior:

1) Would you be comfortable walking in and telling the clerk, I want to buy this shirt, this shoe, etc. on line, but I'd like to take up your time and use your inventory to figure out my size. If you'd be uncomfortable telling the clerk that, then it tells you about whether your conduct is acceptable.

2) When you graduate, and whatever field you go into, would you want people to come to your office/business, and take up your time pretending to be perspective customers, or clients, when all they wanted was as much information from you as possible with no intent to even consider retaining your services, or nuying your product.

You should treat people the way you would like to be treated.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 10-03-08, 01:42 PM
JMRobertson

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ethics... they used to actually teach that in schools.
Old 10-03-08, 01:46 PM
Dubbayoo

Bikes: Pedal Force QS3

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Machka
I have bought all five of my cycling shoes online, and they have all fit me just fine. In fact, they are my most comfortable shoes!

Go for it! Worst that can happen is that you have to return them.
Actually the worst that can happen is they refuse to refund your money and you have to Ebay them for a $100 hit.
Old 10-03-08, 03:52 PM
BananaTugger
CPM M4

Bikes: Light.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
See my sig.