Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Campagnolo parts - newbie!

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-15, 10:04 AM
chester1066

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello there,
I've just been given an old Peugot racer that has many Campagnolo parts to it.
So far, I know it needs a new rear tyre and inner tube and a new bottom bracket.
I don't know anything about bicycle mechanics, but I have just bought 'Bicycle Repair Manual' by Chris Sidwells and am going to have a go myself. The bikes been run into the ground pretty much, so everything needs changing and or cleaning up.
I know that Campagnolo are Italian and are reputable - I realise I need tools to get to the bottom bracket.

Where do I start?
Many thanks!
Old 09-13-15, 10:12 AM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
post pictures
Old 09-13-15, 10:40 AM
jimc101

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 87 Posts
If it's a Peugot, that puts it at least 20 years old, probably more like 30, don't expect to be able to get any spares for part that old OTS, if it really has been run into the ground, before spending any money on it, would do the math to see if it is cost effective vs just getting a decent one to start with.
Old 09-13-15, 11:10 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3588 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
Originally Posted by jimc101
If it's a Peugot, that puts it at least 20 years old, probably more like 30, don't expect to be able to get any spares for part that old OTS, if it really has been run into the ground, before spending any money on it, would do the math to see if it is cost effective vs just getting a decent one to start with.
Without pictures it's impossible to judge the condition, but Campagnolo parts, even NOS, remain quite available. If the bike has been reasonably well cared for, there's not likely to be much that actually needs replacement beyond the typical consumable items (tires/chain/cluster/brake pads).
Old 09-13-15, 12:37 PM
jimc101

Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
Without pictures it's impossible to judge the condition, but Campagnolo parts, even NOS, remain quite available.
Well the OP did say they were run into the ground (although photos would clarify), and for Campag availability, try souring hub internals for a MY2000 rear, and that may change your mind, as that for that example, they just aren't available anymore.
Old 09-13-15, 02:41 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3588 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
Originally Posted by jimc101
Well the OP did say they were run into the ground (although photos would clarify), and for Campag availability, try souring hub internals for a MY2000 rear, and that may change your mind, as that for that example, they just aren't available anymore.
Well, I have a couple 1970s-80s vintage Campagnolo equipped bikes here -- more in line with what the OP has than your my2000 example -- and don't have any particular problem finding the parts I need to keep them going.
Old 09-13-15, 05:41 PM
b dub 
CL Addict

Bikes: '50s Leon Cattrysse - late 50s Raleigh Lenton Sports - 1960/61 Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix - '72 Canadian Tire Company Supercycle - '74 Raleigh International - '83 Nishiki Cresta - '84 Centurion Turbo - '86 v. Herwerden (Chesini) - '87 Specialized Sirr

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 59 Posts
Welcome to this forum. I would start with posting some good overall and detailed pictures in the C&V forum, and ask for advice how to proceed. It might also be a good idea to look for a co-op in your area. They will help you to get started with the right tools.

Without removing the crank how did you determine the bottom bracket needs to be replaced? All it might need is repacking the bearings? I've worked with many old Campagnolo parts. Rarely end up tossing them.

Last edited by b dub; 09-13-15 at 05:48 PM.
Old 09-14-15, 04:04 AM
chester1066

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks to everyone for you replies, I think posting photos is the way forward! I'll figure out how to do that in the next hour hopefully.
I don't think the bike is vintage, Im sure its newer than say late 90s? The guy who gave it to me is a keen cyclist (lycra and all ) and I guess when I say its been run into the ground...perhaps that's my take on it? I took it to a local bike shop and they said it would cost over £150 to get sorted and in good order. Although that doesn't seem like a lot of money, I can buy something second hand in my area for less than that. He did stress that the campagnolo were good parts, so too did my stepdad who seemed fairly impressed with the bike! The guy in the bike shop said if I wasn't going to get it fixed, I should sell parts of it on eBay (which i'm not going to do). There are two reason I'd like to fix it up - the first is that I like the idea of that challenge, the second is that I like the look of the bike and it appears to fit me well - Im only a wee girl of just under 5ft and seem to find it difficult to source bikes that fit me?! At least, second hand bikes.
I was told by the guy who gave it to me that it would most likely need a new bottom bracket - you can hear things rattling around if you shake the bike slightly - he thinks the actual bearing are broken? My dad managed to dismantle the crank but then we got stuck and probably needed the specific tool to help get to the actual bracket (my terms are most probably slightly out, sorry!)?
Old 09-14-15, 04:34 AM
chester1066

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
bike7.jpg (77.2 KB, 28 views)
Old 09-14-15, 04:36 AM
chester1066

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hope this works!!
Attached Images
bike1.jpg (56.8 KB, 41 views)
bike2.jpg (69.3 KB, 39 views)
bike3.jpg (61.3 KB, 37 views)
bike4.jpg (92.4 KB, 36 views)
bike5.jpg (63.0 KB, 39 views)
bike6.jpg (98.6 KB, 38 views)
Old 09-14-15, 05:42 AM
Mark Kelly 

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Dual pivot Mirage brakes = '98 or later. The weird downtube shape also says '98 or '99 (and the cable routing sugggests it was a cyclocross bike).

'98 Mirage was 8 speed, '99 was 9 speed, yours looks like 9 speed from here (but of course you can just count the cogs). There's a 99 catalogue here: https://www.retrobike.co.uk/gallery2/...lo+Catalog.pdf

8 speed Campy gear was bulletproof but parts are getting harder to find and expensive. 9 speed is easier to find but one thing to watch is that Campy changed the cable pull on the derailleurs half way through the 9 speed run so keep that in mind.

The correct BB is the Campagnolo AC-H in 111mm and whatever thread the frame has (probably British Standard if it was sold in the UK) but the more recent Veloce / Centaur part is fully interchangeable and IMO better as you don't need the incredibly stupid spanner the AC-H takes (and it's cheaper). Just make sure it's the correct length.

And do the bolts up.

Last edited by Mark Kelly; 09-14-15 at 06:08 AM.
Old 09-14-15, 05:47 AM
habilis

Bikes: 90's Bianchi Premio, Raleigh-framed fixed gear, Trek 3500, Centurion hybrid, Dunelt 3-spd, Trek 800

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2167 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
You have a treasure in the sense that (1) it seems to be all there, (2) the parts are of good quality, (3) the bike is your size, and (4) you have the will to proceed.

See Sheldon Brown's website for instructions on bottom bracket overhaul, and check the Park Tool site for info on tools and their use. Get a can of WD-40 to assist in disassembly of the BB and freeing up moving parts.

I wish someone had given me a bike like that to learn on! My learning opportunities were of far worse quality.

Last edited by habilis; 09-14-15 at 05:51 AM.
Old 09-15-15, 12:02 PM
chester1066

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey thanks all - I wish my post in the vintage/retro section was as positive as this. Im being told its a money pit and worthless...
I'm not sure who's advice to go with?!
Old 09-15-15, 12:31 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Even after Putting the money out, its worth something .. Just Campag parts cost more than cheap Shimano ,

But no worse than Expensive Shimano high end.

Mostly what you have to do is clean it Up/off.

a Sail or Power Boat is a much better Money Pit. "a Hole in the Water you pour money In".
Old 09-15-15, 03:21 PM
cs1

Bikes: Specialized, Schwinn

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by chester1066
Hey thanks all - I wish my post in the vintage/retro section was as positive as this. Im being told its a money pit and worthless...
I'm not sure who's advice to go with?!
Let me guess the who said it was worthless will take it off you hands for nothing.
Old 09-16-15, 02:43 AM
chester1066

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks all So in order to find out which Bottom Bracket I need, I need to get the crank off and then use the correct tool to get the actual bearings out? Except that Mark Kelly ^^^ (scroll up) has said that the correct BB is an AC-H 111mm and whatever thread the frame has...but to also consider the newer Veloce/Centuar part which is interchangeable..
Does that sound about right? I have found a local bike club that hold weekly meetings where you can take you're bike in and they can give advice, so that sounds good too

Last edited by chester1066; 09-16-15 at 02:50 AM.
Old 09-16-15, 03:20 AM
jimc101

looking at it at present, it's not worth much, however, giving it a real good cleanup (probably full stripdown) & new bar tape would totally change this. Half a days work will do wonders (cost of say £30-70 for new tape, cables and possibly new ergo hoods) for this (if done yourself, LBS cost will be more. To give you and idea of what it could/should look like, see here Peugeot festina | Retrobike

Just remember that if you do replace the cables, Campag need specific ones, generic/Shimano won't fit.
Old 09-16-15, 04:58 AM
chester1066

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks Jim! ...whats an ergo hood? :-/ I very loosely costed it at £100 for everything and a lot of time and effort...I included in that, a new bottom bracket...do you think that sounds about right?
Old 09-16-15, 05:00 AM
chester1066

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Id also like to fit new tyres...I've NEVER had a road bike like this, I've always had mountain bikes and hybrids - so the tyres are new to me. How much would I expect to pay for some average/good tyres? Thanks
Old 09-16-15, 05:41 AM
jimc101

Thanks Jim! ...whats an ergo hood? :-/ I very loosely costed it at £100 for everything and a lot of time and effort...I included in that, a new bottom bracket...do you think that sounds about right?
https://www.chickencycles.co.uk/index...9&sub=96&ord=0

scroll down to Ergo Lever Hoods

As your bike/hoods are getting on for 20 years old, they are probably worn out

Available from good LBS's / online from places like Ribble/Wiggle,

For tires, would look at something like a Michelin Lithion 2, taking it your in Cheshire, if anywhere near Decathalon in Manchester, like this Lithion 2 Road Bike Tyre Set - 700x25 - | Decathlon
Old 09-16-15, 06:18 AM
Mark Kelly 

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks all So in order to find out which Bottom Bracket I need, I need to get the crank off and then use the correct tool to get the actual bearings out? Except that Mark Kelly ^^^ (scroll up) has said that the correct BB is an AC-H 111mm and whatever thread the frame has...but to also consider the newer Veloce/Centuar part which is interchangeable..
Does that sound about right? I have found a local bike club that hold weekly meetings where you can take you're bike in and they can give advice, so that sounds good too
The BB you have in now is an older AC-H or the cheaper SC-S (the only diff is that -H is a hollow axle), you can tell by the six "dimples" in the NDS cup. These are sealed bearing units, as are the more modern parts. They are basically not repairable.

Get the cranks off and spin the axle with your fingers. If it turns smoothly, leave it alone and put the cranks back on. If it feels lumpy and rough, you'll need to replace it, I'd use the more modern Centaur part which will cost GBP 33 if you buy it from Wiggle or you could get a Token for about half that. Despite the price the Token units are quite good, they move the chainline out by 1mm but that shouldn't be too big a problem.

To get the old one off you need the stupid special tool designed for them or an equivalent like the Park BBT-4, with any luck the club will have one so you won't have to buy it. The newer BBs go on and off using the Campy cassette tool or one of the cheaper equivalents which is a tool you are going to need anyway.

The Non Drive Side (NDS = left when facing forward on the bike) cup is right hand threaded and it will have the thread standard stamped into the face: either 1.370 x 24 in which case it is British standard or 36 x 24T in which case it is Italian. If British, the other side will be left hand threaded so you need to undo it "backwards".

Measure the axle length carefully: it should be 111mm since that's a double crankset but there was also a 115.5mm for the triple.

Last edited by Mark Kelly; 09-16-15 at 06:35 AM.
Old 09-16-15, 06:39 AM
jimc101

Originally Posted by Mark Kelly
The BB you have in now is an older AC-H or the cheaper SC-S (the only diff is that -H is a hollow axle), you can tell by the six "dimples" in the NDS cup. These are sealed bearing units, as are the more modern parts. They are basically not repairable.

Get the cranks off and spin the axle with your fingers. If it turns smoothly, leave it alone and put the cranks back on. If it feels lumpy and rough, you'll need to replace it, I'd use the more modern Centaur part which will cost GBP 33 if you buy it from Wiggle or you could get a Token for about half that. Despite the price the Token units are quite good, they move the chainline out by 1mm but that shouldn't be too big a problem.
Why not just get a double rather than trying to complicate matters with a triple spec part when not needed, from Wiggle, you could go with this Wiggle | Tifosi Campagnolo Fit Bottom Bracket | Bottom Brackets or Genuine Campag like this Campagnolo Centaur Bottom Bracket, Bottom Brackets, BOTTOM BRACKETS
Old 09-16-15, 07:05 AM
Mark Kelly 

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The Centaur triple is the same size as the old AC-H double, 111mm, so the Campagnolo part you linked is exactly the same as the one I did (Campagnolo part number is BB5-CEH1I I think). Sorry if that wasn't clear.

AFAIK the Tifosi part is the Token part I already mentioned with a different brand name.