Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Looking for scientific measurements between bearing grades

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 09-11-14, 03:13 AM
bowlofsalad

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Off and on I've looked into the subject of things like ABEC and loose ball bearing grades. Looking into this subject is rather frustrating as all I seem to find are an endless fountain of worthless opinion or worse.

I have been hoping to find a series scientific measurements used to do comparisons on some sort of level of effeciency or power consumption in some sort of chart or article.

Do you know of any?

Thanks
Old 09-11-14, 04:52 AM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
As an engineer I live on scientific data, and I applaud your efforts to obtain it, but the information you seek will likely be of little use in improving bicycle performance since ball bearings contribute such a vanishingly small amount to the effort required to move a bike along that an order of magnitude improvement will be unnoticeable.
Old 09-11-14, 05:50 AM
Airburst

Location: England, currently dividing my time between university in Guildford and home just outside Reading

Bikes: Too many to list here!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
As an engineer I live on scientific data, and I applaud your efforts to obtain it, but the information you seek will likely be of little use in improving bicycle performance since ball bearings contribute such a vanishingly small amount to the effort required to move a bike along that an order of magnitude improvement will be unnoticeable.
+1, given that you don't notice the effect of a slightly over-tightened cup-and-cone hub while riding along, and that that's an order of magnitude more drag than low-grade bearings would cause, I very much doubt there's any difference from using better-grade bearings other than possibly longer bearing life.

Anyway, isn't the ABEC number thing just a measure of how fast the bearing's rated to spin or something? I remember seeing an article ages ago explaining to skateborders why paying ten times as much for ABEC 7 bearings rather than just using cheaper ones was pointless, because even the lowest rating is massive overkill for the wheels on a skateboard.
Old 09-11-14, 06:35 AM
headloss 
Lost at sea...

Bikes: Schwinn Paramount (match), Trek 520, random bits and pieces...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The Truth about ABEC and Skateboard Bearings
Old 09-11-14, 06:52 AM
Airburst

Location: England, currently dividing my time between university in Guildford and home just outside Reading

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by headloss
There it is, looks like I misremembered some of the details, and also what ABEC numbers actually are. I don't think we use them in the UK, as an engineering student I'd like to think I'd remember if I'd been taught them...

I wonder if the cartridge bearings in bike parts are labelled as dodgily as skateboard ones...
Old 09-11-14, 07:04 AM
headloss 
Lost at sea...

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Timken has a lot of good resources, but the closest thing I can find is looking at comparable fatigue life, not efficiency. I'll keep looking. https://www.timken.com/EN-US/Knowledg...aringLife.aspx

Originally Posted by Airburst
I wonder if the cartridge bearings in bike parts are labelled as dodgily as skateboard ones...
I would certainly assume so. There's a market for perceived gains in any of these hobbies.

In response to the OP, I don't think you will find some chart that is scientifically comparing say a Shimano cup-and-cone vs. a legitimate ABEC rated cartridge bearing except for maybe by Shimano themselves (and there's a good chance that they don't even care).

I imagine that the data on a Shimano, Wheels MFG, (or any brand) cup&cone in regards to tolerances isn't public knowledge. So while we may know the tolerances of the ball itself, that's only 1/3 of the complete picture... and even that is then subject to how they are loaded, adjusted, and lubricated.

I don't think that for industrial applications there is any need to compare, that companies just trust in-house engineers or Timken, SKS, etc. to determine the best style of bearing for a given application. The goal being longevity more than efficiency (assuming that differences in efficiency are either negligible or outweighed by other requirements that necessitate a particular type of bearing and/or lubrication (thrust/radial/axial stresses, electrical current, load, speed, etc.).

Last edited by headloss; 09-11-14 at 07:15 AM.
Old 09-11-14, 01:27 PM
nfmisso
Nigel

Bikes: 1980s and 1990s steel: CyclePro, Nishiki, Schwinn, SR, Trek........

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
As a Mechanical Design Engineer who has spent sometime designing systems with ball bearings and ball bearing cartridges; I am not aware of any publicly available research into this area. Timken, SKF, NSK, NMB, etc do from time to time fund research at universities or do research in house on how bearings work and how to improve a particular aspect of a bearing system. These are almost always proprietary, and intended to support a particular customer opportunity.

Ball and roller bearings are an incredibly mature technology; resulting in a very small (and very expensive) amount of improvement being available. I have not seen bearing power consumption as a function of bearing tolerances or geometry been research during my professional career. The only research projects that I have seen on bearing power consumption or torque where comparing different grease formulations and amount of grease used. On ball bearing assemblies in a very well protected environment; very low grease loadings of very special grease is used. Most of the research has been related to life and durability, not power consumption.

Bicycles are incredibly small part of the market for ball bearings; probably far less than 1%; with the double whammy of low profit margins. The business is not sufficient to attract the attention of bearing manufacturers. To give you an idea of scale, Seagate makes more hard disk drives in one day than all the bicycle manufacturers in the world make in a year.
Old 09-11-14, 03:29 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7345 Post(s)
Liked 2,450 Times in 1,429 Posts
I never believed bearings had much of a bearing (ha!) on bike performance, but what about on durability?

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 09-11-14, 03:33 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5766 Post(s)
Liked 2,538 Times in 1,404 Posts
The effect of the grades on resistance is nearly nil. That's not what it's about.

The balls ride in constrained tracks whereby each is in contact with both races at all times. Therefore the separation needed for the larger balls would reduce or eliminate the contact pressure of smaller neighbors. (if you don't see that conduct an experiment whereby you place a row of similar objects in a row on a table and place a straight edge across them. Odds are, that even if they're very similar, at least one won't be touching the ruler).

So, mismatched balls mean that some don't make contact, or not as much, and greater load is taken by the larger ones. That causes vibration and higher local surface stress, as the larger balls pass by the loaded area. That higher stress increases wear and shortens bearing life.

So the reason for closer matching of balls isn't lower rolling resistance, but improved bearing performance, ie. cooler running, lower vibration etc., and longer bearing life.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 09-11-14, 03:56 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
So the reason for closer matching of balls isn't lower rolling resistance, but improved bearing performance, ie. cooler running, lower vibration etc., and longer bearing life.
If that's the case, bicycles have got to be one of the lowest demand applications in the world for bearing balls. The loads are moderate, the temperature demands laughable and the required bearing life a tiny fraction of what industrial users expect. Say you overhaul your hubs every two years and ride 10,000 miles at an average of 15 mph on them between overhauls. The total hours are 666 or about 28 full days. Industrial bearings are expected to last 10,000 to 50,000 hours or 1 to 5 years of continual use.
Old 09-11-14, 05:22 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5766 Post(s)
Liked 2,538 Times in 1,404 Posts
Originally Posted by HillRider
If that's the case, bicycles have got to be one of the lowest demand applications in the world for bearing balls. ....
True, but on the other hand, the bearings are matched to those conditions. Plus the bearings run under less than ideal conditions. Either way, bearing failure due to wear, isn't all that common, nor uncommon, so the folks who build and spec them seem to have dialed it in pretty decently.

In any case, I consider grade 25 the go to buy. It's serious overkill compared to need but the upcost is tiny making it a very cheap luxury.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 09-11-14, 06:01 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Originally Posted by FBinNY
In any case, I consider grade 25 the go to buy. It's serious overkill compared to need but the upcost is tiny making it a very cheap luxury.
Agree completely. Grade 25 is the "sweet spot" in availability, cost and quality. Lower quality doesn't save much and higher quality gets expensive fast with no benefit.
Old 09-11-14, 09:16 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2740 Post(s)
Liked 3,386 Times in 2,049 Posts
I would guess the grease viscosity, especially at lower temps, would have much more effect on power consumption than bearing grade.
Old 09-11-14, 09:43 PM
headloss 
Lost at sea...

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dedhed
I would guess the grease viscosity, especially at lower temps, would have much more effect on power consumption than bearing grade.
I'm not even sure how much that matters if the grease is the "channeling" type. For non-channeling, viscosity would matter more, I imagine.
Old 09-11-14, 11:54 PM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
High quality bronze bushings would be adequate for our usage.
Old 09-12-14, 06:50 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
After working in the computer industry for 47 years all I can say is if possible buy American made ball bearing. Virtually all the bearing failures I have seen in all those years was from Japanese or Chinese made ball bearing.
Old 09-12-14, 12:13 PM
flatlander_48
Cathedral City, CA

Bikes: 2016 RITCHEY BreakAway (full Chorus 11), 2005 Ritchey BreakAway (full Chorus 11, STOLEN), 2001 Gary Fisher Tassajara mountain bike (sold), 2004 Giant TRC 2 road bike (sold)

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by davidad
Perhaps, but what happens is that as they wear, effectively the tolerance increases. I don't think there is a way to close that up. Also, other than excessive load and corrosion, dirt is a killer. Bronze bushings are used in conjunction with a hardened axle. Any dirt that gets in imbeds itself in the bushing, but over time it can cause wear in the hardened steel. Also, with a hardened axle, you would probably need to anneal it to keep it from being brittle. Probably the money you would save with the bushing you would give back with the axle.
Old 09-12-14, 12:28 PM
davidad

Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
Originally Posted by flatlander_48
Perhaps, but what happens is that as they wear, effectively the tolerance increases. I don't think there is a way to close that up. Also, other than excessive load and corrosion, dirt is a killer. Bronze bushings are used in conjunction with a hardened axle. Any dirt that gets in imbeds itself in the bushing, but over time it can cause wear in the hardened steel. Also, with a hardened axle, you would probably need to anneal it to keep it from being brittle. Probably the money you would save with the bushing you would give back with the axle.
I realize that durability would be lower than a good ball bearing hub or BB. What I was saying is that there is little gain in friction reduction at the loads and speeds we encounter.
Old 09-12-14, 11:30 PM
Mark Kelly 

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
A few years ago when ceramics became fashionable I measured some jockey wheel pulley bearings directly, comparing plain bushings (Campagnolo original) to steel and ceramic ball bearings.

IIRC there was a very small (but measurable) difference between the bushings and the bearings. There was bugger all difference between the two types of bearings.
Old 09-13-14, 01:25 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Originally Posted by davidad
Well? Hmm.

In a headset, no, because friction would hamper steering feel and control.

In hubs, maybe, but when play developed, it would be disconcerting.

In bottom brackets, absolutely not. There's a lot of force going through there. The bushings would wear out fast.

Pedals? Yeah, maybe.

Freehubs? Yeah, maybe.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Old 09-14-14, 07:25 AM
Airburst

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
Well? Hmm.

In a headset, no, because friction would hamper steering feel and control.

In hubs, maybe, but when play developed, it would be disconcerting.

In bottom brackets, absolutely not. There's a lot of force going through there. The bushings would wear out fast.

Pedals? Yeah, maybe.

Freehubs? Yeah, maybe.
Emptying out the collection of mostly-useless bike trivia in my head comes up with a few things.

Point 1: Raleigh Twentys (at least some of them) had bushings for the top headset race. I've never ridden one, but according to Sheldon Brown, the additional stiffness didn't compromise control during normal riding, although it did make riding no-handed hard. Not sure how that would translate with different frame and fork geometry though.

Point 2: I'm fairly sure I've seen hubs advertised for DH bikes that have PTFE bushings in them rather than bearings.

Point 3: There definitely were some horrible cheap pedals made at some point that didn't have ball bearings in them.
Old 09-14-14, 08:54 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

I have one of those Raleigh Twentys with the bushing for the top headset bearing. It is very disruptive to me. I am in the process of replacing it.

What are DH bikes?

What did you think of those horrible cheap pedals (well, I know you think they were horrible) and how did you think the choice of bushings bore into their horribility, to coin a word?

Old 09-14-14, 09:20 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by HillRider
If that's the case, bicycles have got to be one of the lowest demand applications in the world for bearing balls.
BUT, anything you can measure and rank, has to have a high and a low score. Whether the range between the two is significant is another matter.
Old 09-14-14, 10:12 AM
Airburst

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
I have one of those Raleigh Twentys with the bushing for the top headset bearing. It is very disruptive to me. I am in the process of replacing it.

What are DH bikes?

What did you think of those horrible cheap pedals (well, I know you think they were horrible) and how did you think the choice of bushings bore into their horribility, to coin a word?
DH stands for Downhill, as in the ridiculous mountain bikes with about a foot of suspension travel at both ends. Sorry if that was confusing. I think the logic behind bushings was that the bikes don't really do a lot of miles, but the impacts they subject parts to are massive, and maybe the designer thought bushings would survive better than ball bearings.

I can imagine a bushing headset being annoying, I'd imagine it would feel like the headset was horribly overtightened, and even if it's perfectly rideable I'd imagine it ruins the zen feeling (or whatever you like to cal it) of riding a properly adjusted bike. What're you doing, just putting the top half of a 1" threadless headset in there and pushing it down somehow to set the preload, or threading the fork or something?

The only time I've seen bushing pedals, the bushings were already severely worn, but the rubber pedal bodies had perished and were all cracked, so I think they were fairly old. It was a co-op donor bike, so the pedals just got thrown away. I can imagine bushings working on those throwaway plastic pedals, as the ball bearings in those are usually still absolutely fine when the pedal body's falling apart (usually after about six months), but I'd be concerned about their longevity on a pedal that's designed to last a bit longer.
Old 09-14-14, 10:13 AM
HillRider

What are DH bikes?
Down Hill.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.