Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Fun ride with my grandson in tow

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-23, 11:47 AM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 984 Times in 508 Posts

Saturday I rode 37 miles pulling a trailer with my two-year-old grandson in it. The terrain was mostly flat, and I was not trying to make good time (averaged about 12 mph). It was a lot of fun, but it left me pretty exhausted. I think dragging the trailer a given distance is equal to riding without it 1.5 to 2 times as far. I've said before that flat ground with the trailer is like a moderate climb without it, and moderate climbs with it are like steep climbs without.

This was only my third or fourth ride this season. We've had a cold, wet spring, and I recently overcame an injury that kept me from doing much physical activity all winter, so I'm just getting back into it.

We've owned this Burley trailer more than 20 years, and it's turned out to be one of the best purchases we ever made. When my daughters were little, I used it to cart them around. I recall taking my oldest one on some great adventures, sometimes 40+ miles. She'd pack a Fisher Price cassette player, some books, and a snack, and she was happy in there for hours. Now I take her son on similar rides, and he loves it. I hope we're able to keep it up for many more years.

There are lots of things in this world that I'm ambivalent about. Here is one that I'm sure of: bikes are good for families!

Last edited by Broctoon; 04-24-23 at 01:09 PM.
Likes For Broctoon:
Old 04-24-23, 01:51 PM
OkFine

Bikes: Bianchi Sempre Veloce eTap, Poseidon X, Cannondale F5,

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 11 Posts
I pull my son on a slow, social group ride every Monday evening. It's about 18 miles and usually around 15mph. It's nothing for the frequent riders and somewhat challenging for the new riders. The whole purpose is to bring the community together, but pulling a kid on a trailer turns it into a training session for sure. You're absolutely right there.

I'm hoping it keeps my kid somewhat interested in biking as he grows up, but at minimum, it's a way that allows my wife to ride along with us instead of one of the parents staying at home with the child while the other rides. Good for families!
Old 04-24-23, 01:58 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,099 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by OkFine

I'm hoping it keeps my kid somewhat interested in biking as he grows up, but at minimum, it's a way that allows my wife to ride along with us instead of one of the parents staying at home with the child while the other rides. Good for families!
And your calf muscles, no doubt! Win win.
Old 04-24-23, 02:05 PM
OkFine

Bikes: Bianchi Sempre Veloce eTap, Poseidon X, Cannondale F5,

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
And your calf muscles, no doubt! Win win.
I don't know about Broctoon , but between the kid, trailer, and whatever my wife has snuck in the trailer pocket, I'm pulling a parachute that also weighs over 75lbs. I'm always inviting someone else to pull him, but no one ever wants to take me up on it....

Old 04-25-23, 09:08 AM
KerryIrons

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 511 Post(s)
Liked 648 Times in 363 Posts
Originally Posted by OkFine
I don't know about Broctoon , but between the kid, trailer, and whatever my wife has snuck in the trailer pocket, I'm pulling a parachute that also weighs over 75lbs.
I always called our trailer my 60 lb. air brake. A great workout with slower riders.
Likes For KerryIrons:
Old 04-25-23, 09:30 AM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 984 Times in 508 Posts
Originally Posted by KerryIrons
I always called our trailer my 60 lb. air brake. A great workout with slower riders.
Whenever I'm taking the trailer, I end up with additional stuff. It's so easy to grab a jacket, tire pump, extra snacks, and whatever else occurs to me, and toss them in. This adds considerable weight on top of the trailer itself and the kid(s) it's intended for. With it, I could push hard to make good time on a ride, and I'd probably get a really effective workout. But that is never my intent when I have a kid along. We take our time and look at ducks (or horses or whatever else comes along), sing songs, and just enjoy being outside. For a workout, I take a lighter bike and only carry the stuff I think I'll need.

On second thought, I guess it is a real workout, even at a casual pace and on terrain without big hills. I just mentioned in my original post that I got pretty exhausted from a 37 mile/3 hour ride.
Likes For Broctoon:
Old 04-25-23, 01:42 PM
CrimsonEclipse

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 595 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 402 Posts
This you?

Likes For CrimsonEclipse:
Old 04-25-23, 03:31 PM
Jedneck

Bikes: Quintanna roo kilo & orbea onix

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 46 Posts
My 1st grand was just born. Already looking for a trailer for bonding time rides.