Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Road Wheels for Gravel Bike (Canyon Grail)

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-23, 10:47 AM
jcll2002

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi all,

I've been over analyzing wheel choice (shocker) and am in need of help simplifying + making a decision. Mostly getting confused triangulating spokes, carbon, internal width.

Context is I finally upgraded my 2012 Scott Foil with 1400g rol wheel clinchers (28x28 spokes) to a Canyon Grail after wanting to get into gravel (and get a less harsh geometry after quitting racing 10 years back), and I'm needing some help choosing a road specific wheel set. Some important info:
  • I live in the Bay Area, so climbs abound
  • I'm 6ft, 170 lbs
  • Don't care about aero, but do care about ride feel especially on sprints & climbs (stiffness, feeling of power transfer, snappiness without killing my body)
  • The Grail has disc brakes
  • Ideally I'd be able to 25-28mm tires and optionally 40mm gravel tires, but gravel compatibility is really just a nice to have
  • Can't go above $900 budget really, and ideally half of that in case I want to get gravel wheels too

I've been thinking through these alloy wheels which have similar specs and price points
  1. Hunt's 4 Season Alloy: 1600 grams, 19mm internal, no idea how many spokes ($400)
  2. Scribe's Race D all time Alloy: similar specs
  3. JRA Maps: similar specs
  4. Hunt's gravel race wheels: 22mm internal (I think this is too wide for road tires), 1450 grams, 24x24 spokes

And also thinking about these carbon wheels. Never ridden carbon.
  1. Light Bicycles Falcon Pro 375mm RAS 1450 grams 21mm internal, 24x24, dt Swiss 350 hub (or bitex?)
  2. Light Bicycles Falcon Pro 35mm same specs as above
  3. Hunt's Carbon 40 19mm internal, 1400 grams, has 20 spokes in front which seems spooky
  4. Hunt's Carbon 30 1400 grams 21mm internal, has 20 spokes in front which seems spooky

Anyway I know there are 30,000 threads like this, done a lot of reading but it's hard to evaluate recommendations based on my specific situation which is why I'm coming here.

Thanks!
Old 08-24-23, 11:04 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2280 Post(s)
Liked 3,501 Times in 1,837 Posts
If the wheels you currently have would be acceptable road wheels, you could get these Reserve 25 650b carbon for gravel wheels...

https://reservewheels.com/products/reserve-25-gr-650b

Just got these for my wife's bike.

Otherwise, https://novemberbicycles.com

Last edited by Polaris OBark; 08-24-23 at 11:19 AM.
Old 09-01-23, 08:09 PM
Caveman

Bikes: Cervelo RS, Pivot Mach 5.7, Cannondale Capo, Litespeed Arenberg, Litespeed Ultimate Gravel, Surly Krampus

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
I found this article to be very comprehensive and helpful when deciding what wheels I wanted on my new gravel bike. I chose the HED Emporia because I doubt my gravel riding will be much more than gravel, dirt roads and smooth single track. Anything worse than that and I'll be riding a MTB.

https://intheknowcycling.com/best-gravel-wheels/
Old 09-02-23, 11:14 AM
Jedneck

Bikes: Quintanna roo kilo & orbea onix

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 46 Posts
I have 34mm vittoria corsa n.ext on the 2nd wheelset for my grail. Now i have to force myself to take the skinny tire toad bike for a ride.
Old 09-02-23, 06:14 PM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 543 Post(s)
Liked 679 Times in 458 Posts
too much choice, analysis paralysis...
Set down your priorities
mine:
a noisy freehub, like a Chris King, is immediately a non-starter, a good Hub with really quality build and best bearings are worth the price - I have a Pr of HED Kermesse rim brake wheels, easily 45+K miles, hub bearings replaced 2x - the wheels are bulletproof ! (did you know that most bearing manus suggest repacking a wheel bearing at least every 2K miles - I haven't done that... ).
For me there is a bell curve relative to internal width, with 21 at the top - 19 is still very nice for 25, 21 is great for 25 & 28
'Aero' is always good if you can have it with all the other stuff - and good aero design is not just tapered deep rims - there are best aero dynamics - 'Toroidal', pioneered by HED and ZIPP.
Rim depth - for me a road wheel would definitely not have more than 40, 35-36 isprolly my most desired
Spoke Count - I'm always amazed how well low spoke count wheels hold up... the 'wheel build' makes the difference.
less weight always wins, so if/when I go disc brake for a road bike, it will likely have CF rims.
set your priorities and the list will narrow.
Ride On
Yuri
Old 09-02-23, 09:28 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1009 Post(s)
Liked 1,231 Times in 705 Posts
I'd go with the wider width for the wider tires and ability to run lower pressure (if desired). For what it's worth, my road tires for my gravel bike are 35's currently sitting on 17mm internal width wheels (the stock ones from my road bike) and they measure at an amazingly skinny 32mm because they're sucked in so much. I imagine 19's would do something similar to 40mm tires for you. I really haven't experienced a disadvantage running 25's and 28's running on 21-22mm rims.