Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Bike fell over, hello dammed Di2 derailleur

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-19, 11:32 AM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts

<sigh>

So I learned the hard way this weekend that standing your bike up against the curb (using the pedal for support) is a bad idea. I did this then a big gust of wind blew my bike over. On to the Di2 derailleur.

The damage? Bent hanger, which I didn't see. So I decided to go for a ride and WHAMMO! Chain jumped in to the spokes, breaking three of them AND bending the hanger arm all to hell. The ride I was going to do never happened AND I'm out of pocket X dollars to fix this everything. PLUS I'm concerned the Di2 is all jacked up and I'm going to be out of money a whole lot more.

I didn't know whether to cry or yell when it happened. Especially since I always baby my bike. Needless to say, I'm not in a happy mood at the moment.

That is all.
Old 08-26-19, 11:46 AM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
kocked over

I had a similar but much milder experience early in my cycling career. I would load my bike into the back of my hatchback vehicle, unknowningly, with the derailler side down. This gradually bent the hanger causing poor shifting that the locoal bike shop quickly put right. The lesson was to load the bike derailler side up but also when leaning the bike against a wall or whatever, such that if it fell or was accidently knocked over it wold land derailler side up.
Old 08-26-19, 11:47 AM
sheddle

Bikes: my precious steel boys

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Liked 603 Times in 359 Posts
this is a bit late to help the OP, but this is why it's a good idea to check both the RD hangar and the limit screws:

a) any time the RD gets banged
b) any time you do anything with the rear wheel, including a rear wheel or freehub change

(i am completely paranoid about testing the RD limit screws after any rear wheel adjustment, maybe to an excessive amount, but hopping the chain into the spokes is one of the worst possible failure modes on a bike)
Likes For sheddle:
Old 08-26-19, 12:37 PM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 94 Posts
OP, are you sure the derailleur hanger was bent? Did you reset the rear derailleur ("crash recovery mode") after the drop?

Di2 rear derailleurs are designed to disengage if they receive an impact. If you put them into "crash recovery mode" while turning the cranks, and before you do anything else, they will self-adjust and reset back to normal. Unless, of course, the derailleur hanger was bent before you put it into crash recovery mode.
Old 08-26-19, 12:52 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by NoWhammies
<sigh>

So I learned the hard way this weekend that standing your bike up against the curb (using the pedal for support) is a bad idea. I did this then a big gust of wind blew my bike over. On to the Di2 derailleur.

The damage? Bent hanger, which I didn't see. So I decided to go for a ride and WHAMMO! Chain jumped in to the spokes, breaking three of them AND bending the hanger arm all to hell. The ride I was going to do never happened AND I'm out of pocket X dollars to fix this everything. PLUS I'm concerned the Di2 is all jacked up and I'm going to be out of money a whole lot more.

I didn't know whether to cry or yell when it happened. Especially since I always baby my bike. Needless to say, I'm not in a happy mood at the moment.

That is all.
Di2 won't be "all jacked up".

First thing is replace the hanger. With the newer RDs it makes it hard to visually eyeball straightness of the cage. If after replacing the hanger and you re-index Di2 shifting is messed up, you made need a new RD cage. At worst you need a wheel repair, an RD hanger, and a new RD. Killing an RD entirely is hard to do (sheering off the mounting bolt knuckle), and you probably only need a new cage at most.
Old 08-26-19, 01:19 PM
xroadcharlie

Bikes: 2018 Giant Sedona

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 95 Posts
Don't feel bad

My own clumsiness did some damage when I dropped my new bike walking it backwards and I stepped on the rear derailler and spokes. At fist glance I thought I was OK.

Untill I went to ride up a steep hill in 1'st gear and the bent derailler got caught in the spokes. Ruined the deraileur and bent the wheel.

$100 later at the lbs and it's better then new. They put on a better rear derailleur and a new chain they said had stretched after 1,000 km, and trued the wheel.

I use a center kickstand on my bike. Their pretty dependable if you careful using it.
Old 08-26-19, 01:22 PM
joelcool

Bikes: Road, Commuter, Mountain, Tandem and a couple others

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 27 Posts
Ugh, that sucks. I'm no help but I feel bad for you. It sucks when stuff like that happens.
Likes For joelcool:
Old 08-26-19, 01:26 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,492 Times in 7,316 Posts
Originally Posted by xroadcharlie

My own clumsiness did some damage when I dropped my new bike walking it backwards and I stepped on the rear derailler and spokes. At fist glance I thought I was OK.

Untill I went to ride up a steep hill in 1'st gear and the bent derailler got caught in the spokes. Ruined the deraileur and bent the wheel.
One winter I slipped in my house after I came from riding in wet weather. Had a heavy load in my messenger bag. Fell forward on the side of the bike (Surly LHT) and bent the RD hanger. Figured I would get it fixed in the spring. Of course, I totally forgot. Took the bike out one fine day and decided to climb a steep hill to see just how low the granny gear really was. The minute I shifted to the smallest chainring and largest cog and head the noise, I remember the bent hanger. The cage had gone into the spoke and aspolded into a bunch of pieces. The hanger was twisted like a pretzel. Being a beefy, 36H wheel, it was only slightly out of true. Was a few miles from home. Skateboarded much of the way and walked the uphill part. LBS was able to straighten out the hanger.
Old 08-26-19, 01:28 PM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
TBF, if the hanger was bent a mechanical RD would have done the same thing, not a Di2 problem per se
Old 08-26-19, 01:36 PM
mattleegee

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by FlashBazbo
OP, are you sure the derailleur hanger was bent? Did you reset the rear derailleur ("crash recovery mode") after the drop?

Di2 rear derailleurs are designed to disengage if they receive an impact. If you put them into "crash recovery mode" while turning the cranks, and before you do anything else, they will self-adjust and reset back to normal. Unless, of course, the derailleur hanger was bent before you put it into crash recovery mode.
How do you reset?
Old 08-26-19, 01:41 PM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
Di2 won't be "all jacked up".

First thing is replace the hanger. With the newer RDs it makes it hard to visually eyeball straightness of the cage. If after replacing the hanger and you re-index Di2 shifting is messed up, you made need a new RD cage. At worst you need a wheel repair, an RD hanger, and a new RD. Killing an RD entirely is hard to do (sheering off the mounting bolt knuckle), and you probably only need a new cage at most.
I don 't think he has the newer group. He posted a pic about a month ago and I recall the cage was straight and not shaped like mine (R8070).

OP...Man really sorry to hear what happened. I would be sick to my stomach as well. How is the rest of the bike?
Old 08-26-19, 02:02 PM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 94 Posts
Originally Posted by mattleegee
How do you reset?
Likes For FlashBazbo:
Old 08-26-19, 02:20 PM
BengalCat

Bikes: 50/34, 11-40, 11 Speed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 52 Posts
Checking the derailleur is always a good idea when the bike falls over or the rear bumps up against something.

I was struggling up a 14 percent grade near the end of a climb on a narrow road when a large FedEx truck forced me to far to shoulder and I had to unclip and hit both brakes as the bike rotated counterclockwise and the rear hit the bushes of the adjoining slope. Then I was stuck with trying to figure out the best way to remount the bike on the 14 percent grade. I decided to cross the narrow road at a right angle trusting I could quickly clip in. I was successful only to instantly learn my rear derailleur and hanger were damaged and the chain was locked. Bad things happened after that.
Likes For BengalCat:
Old 08-26-19, 02:48 PM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,824 Times in 878 Posts
<sigh>

That is all.
And I thought I was having a bad week, you win.

I hope you get it sorted out as economically as possible.
Old 08-26-19, 03:18 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4790 Post(s)
Liked 3,918 Times in 2,548 Posts
Originally Posted by redlude97
TBF, if the hanger was bent a mechanical RD would have done the same thing, not a Di2 problem per se
+1 Not much consolation but some.
Old 08-26-19, 03:38 PM
NoWhammies

Originally Posted by jadocs
I don 't think he has the newer group. He posted a pic about a month ago and I recall the cage was straight and not shaped like mine (R8070).

OP...Man really sorry to hear what happened. I would be sick to my stomach as well. How is the rest of the bike?
Thanks. The rest of the bike looked ok, which is why I decided to just get on the bike and ride without looking to see if anything had shifted when the bike fell. Lesson learned.
Likes For NoWhammies:
Old 08-26-19, 03:52 PM
sheddle

Bikes: my precious steel boys

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Liked 603 Times in 359 Posts
clearly the safest solution is to just buy a carbon disc wheel on the back, it pays for itself!
Likes For sheddle:
Old 08-26-19, 09:15 PM
NoWhammies

Thanks for the sympathy / condolences. I just needed a place to vent!
Old 08-26-19, 09:37 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
To the OP...go ahead and have a cry. It won’t change things but it may help you feel better. We are in touch with our feelings, so it is OK to cry, well in private anyway.

I had a similar experience (standing the bike against the curb) with my then new Bottecchia. A gust of wind knocked it over and in the fall, the shiny red tube was scratched. Luckily there was no damage, other than a deep scratch. A friend of mine, who is handy with this sort of thing restored the tube to its prior, pristine condition. Lesson learned, I never lean my bikes against the curb.

Hope you can get things sorted out.
Old 08-26-19, 10:27 PM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
I make it a habit not to lean my bike up in a way it can fall derailleur side first.
Old 08-27-19, 01:41 AM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 216 Posts
Originally Posted by sheddle
this is a bit late to help the OP, but this is why it's a good idea to check both the RD hangar and the limit screws:

a) any time the RD gets banged
b) any time you do anything with the rear wheel, including a rear wheel or freehub change

(i am completely paranoid about testing the RD limit screws after any rear wheel adjustment, maybe to an excessive amount, but hopping the chain into the spokes is one of the worst possible failure modes on a bike)
c) Reinstall the dork disc ...
Old 08-27-19, 10:30 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Thanks for the sympathy / condolences. I just needed a place to vent!
if the lower portion of the derailleur is bent, one of these would replace it for relatively little $$$.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/KCNC-Road-B...53.m1438.l2649
Old 08-27-19, 04:59 PM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1523 Post(s)
Liked 716 Times in 508 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup
if the lower portion of the derailleur is bent, one of these would replace it for relatively little $$$.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/KCNC-Road-B...53.m1438.l2649
And then replace the silly metal pulleys with resin ones, also available on eBay in whatever size.
Old 08-28-19, 08:47 AM
NoWhammies

Oh, thanks for the find @noodle soup. My bike is in with the LBS for fixing, and they called me to let me know they had located a lower portion of the derailleur. So I think I'll be good.

@Kimmo Not a bad suggestion!
Likes For NoWhammies:
Old 08-28-19, 04:47 PM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1523 Post(s)
Liked 716 Times in 508 Posts
@Kimmo Not a bad suggestion!
Yeah, I was mildly interested in the big pulley thing until I saw the prices (although the one linked by @noodle soup is heaps cheaper)... so I wondered what I could squeeze into the standard cage on my Red RD - turns out 12 upper / 14 lower fit no worries. There's even narrow/wide available, so I gave that a shot. Works a treat.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.