Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

Bike Tights with Windproof Front-recommendations

Search
Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-19, 05:45 AM
Stormsedge

Bikes: 2017 Trek Domane SL6 Disc, 1990 Schwinn Crosscut Frankenroadbike, 2015 KHS Team 29 FS, 2000 Gary Fisher Tassajara--gone but not forgotten

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 30 Posts

I had a set of tights (Performance, I think) with a thicker, windproof material in the front, crotch and front of the legs...and they finally expired when the materials in the front separated and turned into an unmanageable wad of stretch fabric. I'm not complaining as I had them more than twenty years...my question--does anyone have a recommendation or a favorite among what is now available for a similar garment? I see several on the internet at all price ranges, but wonder at their fit (I'm borderline Clyde) and durability. What are your favorites and how do they fit? My other option is to just get a set of nylon windpants and wear the tights I already have underneath. Thoughts? Thanks in advance.
Old 09-27-19, 09:41 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
my go-to pants when things get chilly are Novara Headwind pants but they don't make them anymore. they're snug but they're not tights. I misplaced them one year & bought another pair found on ebay. then I found the original pair so now I have 2 pair. anyway they're great cuz like you said, they have front facing wind protection
Old 09-29-19, 04:41 AM
Stormsedge

Bikes: 2017 Trek Domane SL6 Disc, 1990 Schwinn Crosscut Frankenroadbike, 2015 KHS Team 29 FS, 2000 Gary Fisher Tassajara--gone but not forgotten

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 30 Posts
Thanks, I do see Novaro Headwinds on Ebay...and the REI site (where they were once sold) offers some alternatives that look good. I will have to poll my kids and grandkids to see if any have a membership. Cheers!
Old 09-29-19, 05:23 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
I have a few pair from TMCO that were reasonably priced on Amazon. Note they fit small by American standards.
Old 11-28-19, 09:35 PM
UniChris

Bikes: 36" Unicycle, winter knock-around hybrid bike

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 282 Posts
What's next when it's too cold for tights?

Today after briefly taking off the cargo shorts I wore over the tights out the door, I ended up putting them back on for warmth. But what I really want is more in the front and on the legs, without extra material on the saddle.

Idly considered taking a pair of worn out jeans and trying to turn them into some sort of chaps, but that was more a what I could do with things on hand type idea.

Guess I'm looking for something to either wear over full length chamois tights for warmth, or possibly some sort of bike trousers that could be worn with a pair of summer chamois shorts functioning as their "underwear".

If my goal were commuting a few miles I'd tough it out in jeans, but this is more an occasional recreational outing riding more miles than I'd want without the friction protection of actual cycling gear.

Last edited by UniChris; 11-28-19 at 09:38 PM.
Likes For UniChris:
Old 11-29-19, 10:28 AM
Andrey
Senior Guest

Bikes: Jamis Endura, Cannondale CAAD, Raleigh Cross, Fausto Coppi.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 31 Posts
I use Polartec Power Stretch tights without the pad over a regular summer bibs. They are very warm, breathable and not windproof. The fleece is very thick though making it almost windproof. The tights have a very wide temp range from 50 deg F all the way to 10-15 deg.F . If I ride in a temp colder that that and windy I use a winter bib shorts instead of summer under the tights.
I got a couple of pairs of the Polartech Power Stretch tights, one from EMS and the other one from Lou at Foxwear.net.
Old 12-24-19, 08:31 AM
JeffAbe

Bikes: Salsa: Mukluk, Beargrease, Warbird, Fargo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Just pur hased, received and used my new Assos Mille GT Winter bibs. Temp was 15f all I wore over it was a pair of nylon bike pants to break the wind. I never even felt the cold once I warmed up after the first 15 minutes of riding. Rode 20 miles on my fat bike and my problem was sweating thru my heavyweight fleece top and my Darn Tough mountaineering socks. I need to figure out how to keep the base shirt dryer. Probably a better venting thin outer jacket.
Old 12-24-19, 10:31 AM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 249 Posts
Originally Posted by Stormsedge
I had a set of tights (Performance, I think) with a thicker, windproof material in the front, crotch and front of the legs...and they finally expired when the materials in the front separated and turned into an unmanageable wad of stretch fabric. I'm not complaining as I had them more than twenty years...my question--does anyone have a recommendation or a favorite among what is now available for a similar garment? I see several on the internet at all price ranges, but wonder at their fit (I'm borderline Clyde) and durability. What are your favorites and how do they fit? My other option is to just get a set of nylon windpants and wear the tights I already have underneath. Thoughts? Thanks in advance.
I have great tights from Garneau and Gore. Windproof in front and just enough brushed pile on the inside to be comfortable and add some insulation. Pro tip- get cycling tights as opposed to running tights. The cycling tights are shaped in the knee, and they fit better through your pedal stroke.
Pro tip #2 - get tights with no chamois and wear them over your bibs. You don't have to wash them as often, and you get a double layer from your waist to your knees.
BB

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Likes For bbbean:
Old 01-01-20, 04:38 PM
UniChris

Bikes: 36" Unicycle, winter knock-around hybrid bike

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 282 Posts
My lined overpants turned out to be too warm once I got going, but with those removed my tights are definitely not windproof! If I'd also brought had the shorts I sometimes wear over cycling stuff on train rides, that would have helped. Ended up tying an unzipped jersey around my waist where it hung as a sort of wind skirt... anything but aero, but helped keep wind off the important stuff.
Old 01-03-20, 10:01 PM
AstroEng
Roadkill

Bikes: Novara Verita, Novara Buzz, Radpower Radwagon

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I too have Performance winter tights with windproof fronts (Tri-Flex, IIRC). I love them for below freezing weather. Below about 15F, I add some leg warmers and that keeps me warm to 0F (haven't ridden in worse yet). I paid something like $50 about 5 years ago. The ankle zipper broke on one leg so I've been on the hunt for a replacement now that Performance is quasi-defunct. Unfortunately, I see nothing that looks suitable even remotely in that price range. For now, I'll keep using a reflective band to keep it closed when riding.
Old 01-03-20, 10:56 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by Stormsedge
I had a set of tights (Performance, I think) with a thicker, windproof material in the front, crotch and front of the legs...and they finally expired when the materials in the front separated and turned into an unmanageable wad of stretch fabric. …

What are your favorites and how do they fit? My other option is to just get a set of nylon windpants and wear the tights I already have underneath. Thoughts? Thanks in advance.
Earlier today I posted to this current Winter Cycling Forum,
Keeping the legs warm”:
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
”Bottom 1/2 recomendations for sub-freezing? (32F->0F)”

Just this morning I was looking online at an LBS website, and decided on getting PI Pursuit Thermal Tights…a perfect answer to what do you want for Christmas, and that’s when I’ll be needing them.

It seems the AmFib are bib types, which I don’t want.
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
Mine are not-bibs, if that helps.

They've tweaked the model slightly since I bought them but these are basically it. No "screaming yellow" on mine:

https://www.pearlizumi.com/US/en/sho...ght/p/11111713
It's supposed to be warmer, but I haven't tried the Pursuit ones you're looking at. The AmFib shell helps block wind and resist rain on the front side, and it works really well for that.

I just wear a pair of merino briefs under them, and that does the job down to 10 degrees or so.
Sounds good, especially the wind shell, Resisting rain can be an impossible task, but I presume I would wear them below 32°F, where water resistance to snow would be a benefit.

I do have rain pants for temps above that, worn with a base layer of a weight depending on the temperature.
Originally Posted by mcours2006
"Water-repellent in light rain" is not much of a claim. I do have a pair of Sugoi pants that are similar with the thicker panel in the front, and it appears to be waterproof or repellent, but they are not.

Last week in a heavier consistent rain there were good for about 10 minutes before I felt the cold damp rain on my thighs.
Frankly though, I haven't gotten those cycling tights, and use my combination of base layer tights (link). So far, winter has been tolerable, but at least I have checked those out, if necessary.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 01-03-20 at 11:24 PM.
Old 01-03-20, 11:04 PM
SalsaShark

Bikes: 2014 Trek Allant drop bar conversion, modified Schwinn MTN commuter, 2015 Trek 520, Soma ES, Salsa Journeyman, 1980 Trek 414

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 355 Times in 166 Posts
My solution to the problem of wind chilling the crotch is simple and effective. If it is not cold enough to warrant an extra layer on the legs, but cold enough to numb the crotch from excess wind, i shove a knit stocking cap underneath my tights covering my crotch. Keeps the area warm, doesn't put any extra layers where they aren't needed, and is easily removable if conditions change or you get too warm going uphill. Been using this trick for years.
Likes For SalsaShark:
Old 01-03-20, 11:06 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by UniChris
My lined overpants turned out to be too warm once I got going, but with those removed my tights are definitely not windproof! If I'd also brought had the shorts I sometimes wear over cycling stuff on train rides, that would have helped.

Ended up tying an unzipped jersey around my waist where it hung as a sort of wind skirt... anything but aero, but helped keep wind off the important stuff.
FYA, just today I posted to your current thread,
”Keeping the legs warm

I keep my legs warm with layer(s) of tights (base layers) of light, medium, and heavyweight material, and use the various combinations according to the temperature,
under my cycling shorts:

For legwear, I consider it a compromise between warmth and flexibility (elasticity of the fiber). The two thinner pairs of tights have lost elasticity, and I do use clip-on suspenders to hold them up when not wearing the otherwise snug heavyweight type as the outer layer.

One other item I have used since that scheme was described are leg length warmers, with zippered ankles, though they don’t cover the pelvis. I did have a problem keeping them hitched up as far as possible, so I bought hockey garters used to keep up long length hockey stockings.

Kind of like wrap-around chaps for a cycling cowboy.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 01-03-20 at 11:11 PM.