Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

How are y'all keeping busy otherwise...

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-20, 10:50 AM
Aahzz

Bikes: '17 Trek FX2, '19 Trek FX 3 Disc

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 214 Times in 87 Posts

So, in the current apocalypse, it's easy to get couch locked and munch on things mindlessly. I let it get to me in March, and didn't hit my riding goal. Lots of rain didn't help. I'm determined to do better in April. However, there's still only so much riding one can do, so am making myself find other things to do while staying home. Mrs Aahzz and I are doing a puzzle, doing a little work around the house, but most energizing is I've dusted off my home recording setup and recorded some new songs I wrote. There's a link below if you're interested in hearing a fellow Clyde - the first 3 songs are new, got another ready to record shortly....what's keeping y'all occupied during these weird times?

https://soundclick.com/r/s8cgyn
Likes For Aahzz:
Old 04-04-20, 09:17 AM
cyclist2000

Bikes: Masi, Giant TCR, Eisentraut (retired), Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo, Cannondale, 84 & 93 Stumpjumpers, Waterford, Tern D8, Bianchi, Gunner Roadie, Serotta, Serotta Duette, was gifted a Diamond Back

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 2,038 Times in 604 Posts
Not too much has changed for me since I am retired, except I don't go out as much as before. I'm riding more that ever, I ride indoors/outdoors. I have a goal of at least 25 miles per day when I am not traveling, for my health (guess I won't be traveling for a while). Some things have been put on hold, mostly traveling. I have been doing some yard work and repairs around the house and updates to my bikes.
Old 04-04-20, 12:03 PM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1784 Post(s)
Liked 1,437 Times in 987 Posts
I'm in a work-from home status for the near future. Not too exciting, and I do have a 'digital leash' between 8AM-5PM, but it does allow me some flexibility in hours so I can do things around the house. I'm not sure how long this status will last before layoffs start occurring, but (looking on the bright side) if they do I'm hoping for a good severance package and I can just volunteer to retire and save a younger person's job.

Somehow a window on the shell of my PU truck got broken, so I was able to make a wooden insert, paint it, and fit it in on Friday between doing work on the computer (rain coming in this weekend, so needed to get it done ASAP). Shell & truck are 14 years old, so not worth spending the $$$ for a replacement.

Pulling spring weeds and other yardwork. They grow like crazy each spring, and its a great break from sitting in front of a computer.
Old 04-04-20, 12:51 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked 1,019 Times in 719 Posts
I'm as busy as ever with work, really need to get a thesis proposal polished, and guide 3 kids through school work while still having to do dishes, laundry, etc.
Old 04-04-20, 12:53 PM
OldCruiser

Bikes: Most of my bikes are Single Speed Conversions

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 3,067 Times in 1,015 Posts
Rediscovering my once favorite sport , archery .
I gave up shooting my bows about 8 years ago mainly because of arthritis pain . I thought if I couldn’t shoot a hunting draw weight bow , I’d just quit . That and my hunting buddies and I had drifted apart .
A couple weeks ago I ordered myself a lighter poundage recurve bow and dug out my old bag target out of the garage .
Only shooting at 10 yards for now .
I’m taking it slow , shooting just a few arrows per day to keep from over doing it for now .
I’m up to ten arrows per day and each arrow puts a smile on my face .
And it’s something I can do without leaving home .
Likes For OldCruiser:
Old 04-04-20, 01:31 PM
257 roberts

Bikes: 2008 Trek Police bike 2019 Jamis Coda Sport 2021 Surly Bridgeclub

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 924 Times in 304 Posts
Originally Posted by kirby999
Rediscovering my once favorite sport , archery .
I gave up shooting my bows about 8 years ago mainly because of arthritis pain . I thought if I couldn’t shoot a hunting draw weight bow , I’d just quit . That and my hunting buddies and I had drifted apart .
A couple weeks ago I ordered myself a lighter poundage recurve bow and dug out my old bag target out of the garage .
Only shooting at 10 yards for now .
I’m taking it slow , shooting just a few arrows per day to keep from over doing it for now .
I’m up to ten arrows per day and each arrow puts a smile on my face .
And it’s something I can do without leaving home .
good for you !!! I've shot traditional archery since the mid seventies,I quit hunting 15 years ago but still shoot with a local archery club...it's a large group of archers mostly compound shooters but a dozen or so traditional shooters
Likes For 257 roberts:
Old 04-04-20, 02:06 PM
KenCT

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse Carbon 105 (2021) Cannondale Cujo 2 (2018) Cannondale Quick Carbon 1 (2017) Giant Sedona (2006) Cannondale R1000 (2001)

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 238 Times in 105 Posts
I expanded and organized my pleasure room (bike storage, workshop, and trainer area). Working on some portable radio equipment, I've been an amateur radio operator for over 40 years. Riding more on Zwift, limiting outside rides for now. It's important to me not to overeat and to keep active during this time. I'm down almost 30 pounds from a year ago, weighed in at 224 this morning. Also did a few projects around the house that I've been putting off for a while.
Old 04-04-20, 02:16 PM
Sertsa

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 164 Times in 67 Posts
I've been playing piano and especially guitar quite a bit. I had to stop playing guitar a number of years ago as my skin stopped getting along with the strings, but since becoming healthier and shedding a couple hundred pounds I've started playing again. So far it's been good. I've also been reading quite a bit. (I should be writing a lot more than I am, though). For a less-productive time occupier I've been turning on my game console, but at least I'm focused on something rather than watching TV and looking for a snack. Finally, I'm going to cut my own hair within the next couple of days.
Old 04-04-20, 02:24 PM
OldCruiser

Originally Posted by 257 roberts
good for you !!! I've shot traditional archery since the mid seventies,I quit hunting 15 years ago but still shoot with a local archery club...it's a large group of archers mostly compound shooters but a dozen or so traditional shooters
I shot archery for close to 40+ years of which the last 20 or so were Traditional mostly with recurves around 50# .
I started with an old Bear recurve and ended shooting recurves .
The last whitetail deer I took was with a 45# recurve that I probably only pulled about 40# on short drawing . But I got a complete pass through . I was always patient with my shots and wouldn’t take a shot that wasn’t near perfect .
I truly missed watching the flight of an arrow .
now shooting bows in the 30-35# weight , I get to watch them longer
Likes For OldCruiser:
Old 04-04-20, 02:48 PM
257 roberts

I shot archery for close to 40+ years of which the last 20 or so were Traditional mostly with recurves around 50# .
I started with an old Bear recurve and ended shooting recurves .
The last whitetail deer I took was with a 45# recurve that I probably only pulled about 40# on short drawing . But I got a complete pass through . I was always patient with my shots and wouldn’t take a shot that wasn’t near perfect .
I truly missed watching the flight of an arrow .
now shooting bows in the 30-35# weight , I get to watch them longer
I did most of my hunting with a compound and after I decided not to hunt anymore I was in a pawnshop and saw a old green Darton Hunter 40 lbs and bought it and was hooked.....I now shoot a Trad Tec ILF with 35 lbs limbs and loving it
Likes For 257 roberts:
Old 04-04-20, 03:23 PM
OldCruiser

I did most of my hunting with a compound and after I decided not to hunt anymore I was in a pawnshop and saw a old green Darton Hunter 40 lbs and bought it and was hooked.....I now shoot a Trad Tec ILF with 35 lbs limbs and loving it
I just bought a Samick Discovery ILF riser and some bamboo core WNS limbs that pull 33# at my draw . It’s a sweet shooting bow that I’m able to get a complete draw with .
I’d like to chronograph it , I bet it’s close to the same speed my old bow shot with the same 2016 arrows .
I probably won’t , but I still own a ground blind and I’d love to get back out there a few times this fall for a couple of evening hunts . I’m thinking if I kept my shots to 15 yards or less broadside , I’d get a pass though with my Zwickies .
Old 04-04-20, 03:40 PM
257 roberts

I just bought a Samick Discovery ILF riser and some bamboo core WNS limbs that pull 33# at my draw . It’s a sweet shooting bow that I’m able to get a complete draw with .
I’d like to chronograph it , I bet it’s close to the same speed my old bow shot with the same 2016 arrows .
I probably won’t , but I still own a ground blind and I’d love to get back out there a few times this fall for a couple of evening hunts . I’m thinking if I kept my shots to 15 yards or less broadside , I’d get a pass though with my Zwickies .
I had a Samick Sage for awhile (good bow) I'm shooting a Gold Tip 600 with 100 gr tip
I have no doubt that you can get the job done with your equipment....I've have always used fixed blade broadheads for hunting even when hunting with a compound, the only time that I used a expandable (Rage) I shot a Axis buck and it was ugly, I recovered him but I was done with expandables
Old 04-04-20, 04:17 PM
OldCruiser

I had a Samick Sage for awhile (good bow) I'm shooting a Gold Tip 600 with 100 gr tip
I have no doubt that you can get the job done with your equipment....I've have always used fixed blade broadheads for hunting even when hunting with a compound, the only time that I used a expandable (Rage) I shot a Axis buck and it was ugly, I recovered him but I was done with expandables
A razor sharp two bladed Zwicky on a 500 grain arrow doesn’t need much energy to get full penetration. I have confidence in my arrow and broad head selection. It has served me well in the pass .
I have one xx75 wood grain arrow that has taken four deer . I did have to refletched it once and resharpen the head each time .
Likes For OldCruiser:
Old 04-04-20, 08:56 PM
good4u

Bikes: Trek DS 2 and Cannondale Topstone

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 394 Times in 93 Posts
Originally Posted by Aahzz
So, in the current apocalypse, it's easy to get couch locked and munch on things mindlessly. I let it get to me in March, and didn't hit my riding goal. Lots of rain didn't help. I'm determined to do better in April. However, there's still only so much riding one can do, so am making myself find other things to do while staying home. Mrs Aahzz and I are doing a puzzle, doing a little work around the house, but most energizing is I've dusted off my home recording setup and recorded some new songs I wrote. There's a link below if you're interested in hearing a fellow Clyde - the first 3 songs are new, got another ready to record shortly....what's keeping y'all occupied during these weird times?

https://soundclick.com/r/s8cgyn
Two thumbs up on "Betrayed By Gravity." You are a rockin' Clyde!
Likes For good4u:
Old 04-04-20, 09:03 PM
Aahzz

Thanks!
Old 04-08-20, 08:34 PM
Rje58

Bikes: 2011 Fuji Absolute 3.0 -- 1997 Trek 830 (modified to hybrid)

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 548 Times in 170 Posts
I enjoyed the songs - thanks for sharing. "Song for a Girl..." and "Betrayed by Gravity" were my favorites, but they were all good.
Likes For Rje58:
Old 04-09-20, 06:39 AM
Aahzz

Thanks!
Old 04-09-20, 07:36 AM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1784 Post(s)
Liked 1,437 Times in 987 Posts
Mail-ordered new strings for my classical guitar and ukulele last week, they came yesterday. That'll give me something to do today.
Old 04-09-20, 09:38 AM
OldCruiser

The past 4 days I’ve been catching up on yard work and cleaning out my neglected container garden .
Got 10 five gallon buckets ready to plant , four were planted with cucumber seeds yesterday, the other six will get tomato seeds when they arrive .
Old 04-09-20, 09:44 AM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
Considered essential personnel --- business as usual

With 2 big exceptions --- these girls are now living in a crate in my weight room , and since they are escape artists , I have to make a suitable enclosure for them outside --- they are micro pigs, but even a "micro" can get to be about 60 pounds with roughly the physique of an English bulldog

Mrs DMC707 wants her own miniature Noahs Ark eventually, but didn't realize that pigs are not the same as dogs -- she knows now

Old 04-10-20, 03:01 PM
breadbin

Bikes: Raleigh 531c, Marin Muirwoods, Brodie Romax

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I'm still going in and out to work so I'm as busy as ever.
Old 04-10-20, 03:51 PM
ZIPP2001
Life Is Good

Bikes: Zipp2001 Carbon Belt Drive SS, Kestrel RT900SL, Kestrel KM40 Airfoil 1x10, Orbea Occam H30, Trek Stache 5 29 Plus, Giant Yukon 2 Fat Bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 870 Times in 443 Posts
Both my wife and I are laid off due to this viru. I'm an Operations Manager for a giftware business and she works for me. Weather permitting I'm out the door by 10am and riding my bike for a minimum of 2 hours when on the road. But I've been mainly riding the trails that start 800 yards from my front door for 3 plus hours, and nobody in site for that whole time. I get home shower eat and then take the wife out for at least a 2 hour hike if not longer if she's willing in the same woods I rode in. So I'm getting to do what I really like for 4-6 hours a day weather permitting. I am doing work around the house and have 98% of the whole inside painted. I'll redo the back deck in a week or so as long as the weather plays nice. The only problem I'm finding is I'm losing track of what day it is, because they all seem to be blending in right now.
Old 04-10-20, 04:35 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2337 Post(s)
Liked 2,813 Times in 1,536 Posts
WFH and busier than ever. missing the commute in and home probably working more hours than normal.

and have much administrative help

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 04-11-20, 10:07 PM
zenmonkey
banana ying yang

Bikes: SC Blur & a Lapierre

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Stuck

Normally I live in Germany but I’m stuck in the Bay Area taking care of my father for at least another month.

So I bought a bike here. (I have no idea how many that makes ... ) changed out the pedals, order a helmet and shorts ...

It has been a year since I’ve ridden, I’m stiff and sore and overweight. But I’m adding miles up slowly. I’d like to get back to a respectable weekly mileage. Took the virus to make me pay attention to my health.