Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Which pedals for my Road Bike?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 04-27-20, 02:38 PM
phx1973

Bikes: 2019 Giant Contend 3

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts

Hi everyone, my apologies for asking a question that I know probably comes up all the time. I'm looking for suggestions about new pedals for my relatively new road bike (about 150 miles is all but I'm using it more and more). I've used SPD Mountain Bike pedals on different bikes in the past - both M520 and PD M324's and got along with both just fine. I no longer have either of those bikes/pedals, but still have the mountain bike shoes that I used with them. So just wondering if I should get another set of SPD's and just use the same shoes, or a whole new system, like the SPD-SL road pedals, which would require a new pair of shoes, of course. Some have told me the mountain bike style are easier to clip in and out of and that the difference is negligible for a beginner road cyclist (aka., slow rider) like myself. Here's the detail on my gear / usage / interest:

The bike: Giant Contend 3 2019 (entry level components like Claris, relaxed Geometry, but works well for me). Right now the bike has platform pedals with toe clips and straps. Decent quality but I am not a huge fan of the clips and straps.

My use: As you could probably guess from the line above, I'm not a racer and probably won't be. Will be using this bike for alot of solo rides around town (some traffic, intersections, some trails, residential neighborhoods, etc.). Would like to get involved in the local cycling clubs for longer group rides, maybe something like century rides way down the line. But right now mostly city and trail rides anywhere from 1 to 3 hours long.

Outside of this I probably won't spend too much time or money trying to upgrade the bike.

Bottom line: I definitely don't want to stick with the flat. Just wondering if I get some mountain bike pedals (which I'm familiar with) and use the same shoes I have. Or is it really worth it to go with a road pedal/style knowing I'm not really a racer nor that concerned with speed/weight. I almost always use the mountain bike shoes now, even on the flat pedals, just because they are reasonably stiff and feel good on rides.
Old 04-27-20, 02:50 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,279 Times in 739 Posts
As a recreational rider I don't think you would be sacrificing anything going with Mtn bike pedals.
Likes For bruce19:
Old 04-27-20, 03:07 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce19
As a recreational rider I don't think you would be sacrificing anything going with Mtn bike pedals.
Even if you were racing, you wouldn't be sacrificing much either.
Likes For caloso:
Old 04-27-20, 03:25 PM
alfordjo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
I use SPD Pedals on both my road bikes. PD-A600 & XT PD-M8020

I walk around some when on rides is the reason I use SPD.

If you are concerned about clipping out, get SH-56 cleats. They are easier to release than SH-51.

You will fall over at least once. Usually slow speed (pulling up to a stop) where the only thing that gets hurt is your pride.

Last edited by alfordjo; 04-27-20 at 03:28 PM. Reason: More info
Likes For alfordjo:
Old 04-27-20, 03:28 PM
MrAwesome

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
I am not a racer or an expert on the minutia, but I have been using SPD pedals for years. I recently got road SPD pedals for my steel FG/SS bike just so I could use the same shoes with both bikes. The road pedals are OK, but they are only one-sided, so it's kind of a PITA to get into sometimes while my mountain bike pedals are two-sided. I assume they did this to save weight, but I can't imagine it's much weight, and for people like us won't make any difference to wind resistance, weight, etc; so I don't see the point. I probably should have just gotten MTB pedals and I would have not noticed a difference except it would have been easier to get in. The road pedals do look a little more sleek so style-wise they match the bike a little better than I imagine MTB pedals would, but I don't think that would have mattered to me either. I have never used any other type of pedals before except for flats with clips. I have actually thought about switching to clips for my FG/SS just so I could wear any type of shoes, but I really prefer clipless especially when riding fixed.
Likes For MrAwesome:
Old 04-27-20, 03:41 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6173 Post(s)
Liked 4,792 Times in 3,305 Posts
SPD unless you have some overwhelming need to change. If someone gifted me a pair of dual sided Garmin Vector 3's, that might be overwhelming enough for me to change from SPD. <grin>
Likes For Iride01:
Old 04-27-20, 03:47 PM
Gconan

Bikes: Norco search xr

Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 90 Posts
SPD’s all the way! Easy to clip in. Easy to clip out. But most of all you can walk around in them! I have crossed streams in them. Walked across logs and been down steep banks in them. There just to useful.
Likes For Gconan:
Old 04-27-20, 07:56 PM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
If you have decent shoes already I agree with everyone else, SPD. If you were buying new shoes and pedals, then my answer would be different.
Old 04-27-20, 08:28 PM
Glenn6870 

Bikes: 2022 Giant Revolt Advanced; 2017 Giant Contend SL2 Disc; 1997 Trek Singletrack

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 9 Posts
Been riding my Giant Contend SL2 Disc Road bike for over two years with SPD pedals. I have a size 15 shoe, so it was easier for me to find MTB shoes than Road, so i opted for the SPD when i started. I ride for health and fun, not a racer. I see no reason to switch to Road Shoes. You won’t be missing on anything.
Old 04-27-20, 08:50 PM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
Even if you were racing, you wouldn't be sacrificing much either.
This. I've raced my bike with SPD pedals and have no issues. (clarification, I meant my road bike, but I've also raced my gravel bike, which also has SPD pedals lol)

I've done centuries, won sprints on the A group ride, etc. The pedals are not holding me back, they're easier to use, and I can walk in the shoes. I'm running double sided XT pedals on the road bike.
Likes For Rides4Beer:
Old 04-28-20, 08:11 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked 579 Times in 437 Posts
The only bad thing I heard about SPDs is that the rider's weight is concentrated on one specific area of the shoes' sole since the cleats & clip-in section of the pedals are smaller than SPD-Sls, and this results in an unpleasant pressure point. I actually never tried SPDs for very long so I can't tell if it's true or not, but it does make sense.

As I said above, I would only get these if I were city riding a lot. It's clearly a better option for someone who needs to clip/unclip a lot and walk with its shoes.

Last edited by eduskator; 04-28-20 at 08:15 AM.
Old 04-28-20, 09:09 AM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 145 Posts
Originally Posted by eduskator
The only bad thing I heard about SPDs is that the rider's weight is concentrated on one specific area of the shoes' sole since the cleats & clip-in section of the pedals are smaller than SPD-Sls, and this results in an unpleasant pressure point. I actually never tried SPDs for very long so I can't tell if it's true or not, but it does make sense.

As I said above, I would only get these if I were city riding a lot. It's clearly a better option for someone who needs to clip/unclip a lot and walk with its shoes.
I use SPDs on all my bikes. No pressure points.
Old 04-28-20, 09:25 AM
Tacoenthusiast

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 223 Times in 84 Posts

That can certainly be a problem if you are using spd sandals!
Old 04-28-20, 11:03 AM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts

I've done 8+ hours on SPDs, with no hot spots or pressure points. On both of my SPD setups (and most I believe), the sole of the shoe contacts the pedal on either side of the cleat, helping distribute the pressure, I guess I could see it if the cleat was the only contact point.

You also hear that SPD-SLs are better for power transfer due to the larger contact patch, but I've never been able to find any actual data to support this.
Old 04-28-20, 02:56 PM
illdrag0n

Bikes: 2014 Focus Mares AX 2.0, 2019 Cube Litening C:62 Race Disc Teamline

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 140 Times in 68 Posts
I'm running xc701 shimanos with 8020 XT pedals on my roadie and commuter and see no reason to move to spd-sl. No issues at all. Always a hoot watching my roadie mates ice skating around at the wet cafe stops
Old 04-28-20, 03:44 PM
tankist

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 157 Times in 55 Posts
I used to ride in SPD mounted on Sidi shoes. They were OK. Then I changed to the Look system and never looked back (pun intended). Much better feel for power transfer.
Old 04-28-20, 07:26 PM
justonwo

Bikes: 2020 Pinarello Dogma F12 Disc (Enve SES 3.4), 2021 S-Works Aethos (Roval Alpinist CLX II), 2024 Topstone Lab71 (Terra CLX II), 2006 Cervelo Soloist (10 speed Ultegra), 2021 S-Works Epic

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 34 Posts
I guess I'll be the voice of dissent, having ridden mountain bike pedals on the road (and on the mountain) for many years. SPDs are great because they are simple and easy to get into and out of. I still use them on both my mountain bikes, as do most of the kids on the high school MTB team I coach. I used them for road riding for 3-4 years before I switched over to dedicated road shoes and pedals in 2010. I find the power transfer and stability to be much greater with dedicated road shoes and cleats. I've been using Speedplay pedals on multiple bikes for about 10 years. With SPDs, I don't like how my foot moves all over the place when pedaling steady on the road. Are dedicated road shoes and pedals a must-have? No. Are they better than MTB cleats and shoes? For me, they are. I find Speedplay's walkable cleats to be usable enough, but I don't spend a ton of time walking when I'm wearing them. Maybe to stop at a cafe for lunch or something like that, but I don't go hiking in them or for long walks.
Old 04-30-20, 07:29 AM
jfranci3

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
Speedplay Frog or SPD (moutain bike pedals). Much much much easier to clip back into than road pedals with plastic cleats. No down sides with good shoes (Shimano XC5 )