Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Bike Hand headset press issue

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-20, 09:34 AM
EamonPVD

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

Anyone run into a problem where the length of the headtube is too long to adequately use the Bike Hand headset press? I am having this issue. There is not enough length on the tool to secure the bottom press to it. Any ideas? Headtube is 158mm in length.

thanks!
Old 06-10-20, 10:36 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7345 Post(s)
Liked 2,452 Times in 1,430 Posts
This sounds horrible but I have pressed headset cups in using a crude method. Put a board of wood on the bench. Press the cups in partially by hand. Rest the bottom part of the head tube on the wood on the bench. Put a second board of wood on the top cup. Bang with a hammer. Of course, be as parallel as you can but don't worry, because as you finish, it should seat properly. You might want to measure alignment with a caliper.

Generally, the softness of the wood prevents damage to the frame and cups.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 06-10-20, 10:37 AM
100bikes
Industry guy

Bikes: To many to name - I ride a custom built steel frame.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 48 Posts
Are you trying to install both cups at the same time?
Old 06-10-20, 11:53 AM
EamonPVD

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 100bikes
Are you trying to install both cups at the same time?
i was only able to attempt to install one cup at a time because the tool has even less length to work with with both cups going at once. Does that make sense?
Old 06-10-20, 12:53 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
I use a thick, long threaded bolt with some fender washers and nuts as a home made headset press. I make sure the cups are parallel to the headtube before tightening the nuts much to press the cups in. If the cups are not parallel to the headtube at the start it can be quite difficult to get them to go on.

Cheers
Old 06-10-20, 01:59 PM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked 796 Times in 473 Posts
158mm is not a long head tube, so there should be no reason why it won't work. The two different versions of Bikehand headset presses, that I found, both appear to have plenty of length to press in a headset in a head tube of that size. Maybe a picture of your setup would help.
Old 06-10-20, 02:10 PM
EamonPVD

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dsaul
158mm is not a long head tube, so there should be no reason why it won't work. The two different versions of Bikehand headset presses, that I found, both appear to have plenty of length to press in a headset in a head tube of that size. Maybe a picture of your setup would help.
okay yea itd be crazy if it didnt fit. I hope im just doing something stupid. I did hit my head yesterday so let me know what I’m doing wrong...
Old 06-10-20, 02:14 PM
EamonPVD

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by EamonPVD
okay yea itd be crazy if it didnt fit. I hope im just doing something stupid. I did hit my head yesterday so let me know what I’m doing wrong...
Old 06-10-20, 02:18 PM
EamonPVD

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
so as pictured, not enough of the tool passes through the headtube to connect to the bottom press.

I was able to install the top with a board and hammer but Id obviously like to use this expensive tool instead
Old 06-10-20, 07:09 PM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,058 Times in 742 Posts
Just watched their video on how to use this and they used a bike with a very short head tube which did not leave much more length to use on a bike like the OP's. I'd contact BikeHand for some guidance or a return. I can't understand why a mfr. would make a headset press with such a limited range. A 158mm head tube is not especially long or a rarity.
Old 06-10-20, 08:06 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26382 Post(s)
Liked 10,361 Times in 7,196 Posts
...except for the length of the rod problem, that looks identical to the one Nashbar used to sell (probably from the same manufacturer.)
It's a mystery to me, because the old Nashbar one works fine on head tubes longer than yours, and I can press both cups simultaneously..

That company also advertises a 107B for pressing BB cups, but yours is marked clearly 107. I would send it back on the assumption that maybe they screwed up in what they sent you (107 head with a 107B rod ?)
Old 06-10-20, 08:12 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
As long as enough install pressure is applied to seat the cups onto the HT faces the method (excepting those that deform the cups) have little bearing (bad pun) to the rest of the job. So bench vices, wood blocks with a hammer, all thread rod and huge washers, or a proper bike specific tool can all do the same job. Andy
Old 06-10-20, 08:22 PM
kaos joe

Bikes: Trek 5200, Rivendell Atlantis, Soma DoubleCross, Bilenky Signature tandem, Cannondale RT3000 tandem, Santa Cruz TallBoy, Kona Explosif, Bridgestone MB2

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Liked 164 Times in 89 Posts
Originally Posted by Miele Man
I use a thick, long threaded bolt with some fender washers and nuts as a home made headset press. I make sure the cups are parallel to the headtube before tightening the nuts much to press the cups in. If the cups are not parallel to the headtube at the start it can be quite difficult to get them to go on.

Cheers
That looks exactly like my home brew concoction.
Old 06-10-20, 08:52 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
As long as enough install pressure is applied to seat the cups onto the HT faces the method (excepting those that deform the cups) have little bearing (bad pun) to the rest of the job. So bench vices, wood blocks with a hammer, all thread rod and huge washers, or a proper bike specific tool can all do the same job. Andy
I was putting a headset on a friend's bike and using the tool I made and posted an image of. It was getting quite hard to turn the wingnut. I looked at the cups and was sitting at an angle. I backed off the tool, set the cup straight again and it went on with much less force applied to the wingnut. Would the canted cup have deformed the headtube? I don't know and wouldn't take the chance when an extra few seconds would correct the problem.

Cheers
Old 06-10-20, 08:58 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Like the posters in #5 and #13 , I just used a foot of 3/8" all thread, some fender washers, and some nuts. Took a few minutes.

Bummer about the Bikehand tool, though. In all of the stock images, it looks like it should be plenty long enough.
Old 06-10-20, 09:03 PM
EamonPVD

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
Like the posters in #5 and #13 , I just used a foot of 3/8" all thread, some fender washers, and some nuts. Took a few minutes.

Bummer about the Bikehand tool, though. In all of the stock images, it looks like it should be plenty long enough.
Quite the bummer. It has pretty good reviews. I contacted Bike Hand. Will report back what they respond
Old 06-10-20, 09:21 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
Could the cocked cup deformed the HT? Sure. But is it likely, no. Steel has a fair amount of spring back, this quality makes it a wonderful frame material BTW. Starting cups straight and flat to the faces and keeping them so the goal.

When using a "tool" without snug fitting sleeves (into the cups' skirts) the cups will follow the path of least resistance. Since the facing, the slight counter sinking or the race, the ID control and the skirt's initial beveling are all across the board the cups can, and will, go crooked. The trick is as you did. Initially set the cups in the HT and then "work" the cups with some method to square them up with the HT (like a hammer tapped on the high points or repositioning the press to better push on those high points).

The slight HT expansion and all should not be an issue if the cups are straightened and pressed in fairly straight after the start. Of course there's the cup's deformation aspect too...Andy
Old 06-10-20, 10:41 PM
Miele Man

Could the cocked cup deformed the HT? Sure. But is it likely, no. Steel has a fair amount of spring back, this quality makes it a wonderful frame material BTW. Starting cups straight and flat to the faces and keeping them so the goal.

When using a "tool" without snug fitting sleeves (into the cups' skirts) the cups will follow the path of least resistance. Since the facing, the slight counter sinking or the race, the ID control and the skirt's initial beveling are all across the board the cups can, and will, go crooked. The trick is as you did. Initially set the cups in the HT and then "work" the cups with some method to square them up with the HT (like a hammer tapped on the high points or repositioning the press to better push on those high points).

The slight HT expansion and all should not be an issue if the cups are straightened and pressed in fairly straight after the start. Of course there's the cup's deformation aspect too...Andy
All I did was tape the crooked cup out again, then reinsert it making sure that is sat square to the headtube. When I reinserted the tool and started tightening it the cups went straight in with no problem. At no time did I tape a cup with anything to straighten it.

Cheers
Old 06-10-20, 10:52 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4790 Post(s)
Liked 3,917 Times in 2,548 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
This sounds horrible but I have pressed headset cups in using a crude method. Put a board of wood on the bench. Press the cups in partially by hand. Rest the bottom part of the head tube on the wood on the bench. Put a second board of wood on the top cup. Bang with a hammer. Of course, be as parallel as you can but don't worry, because as you finish, it should seat properly. You might want to measure alignment with a caliper.

Generally, the softness of the wood prevents damage to the frame and cups.
I've done likewise. But I now use a 1/2" threaded rod, washers and nuts plus pipe from Home Depot. $20 and makes pressing cups a joy.

Ben
Old 06-11-20, 10:22 AM
robertorolfo

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 113 Posts
Could the cocked cup deformed the HT? Sure. But is it likely, no. Steel has a fair amount of spring back, this quality makes it a wonderful frame material BTW. Starting cups straight and flat to the faces and keeping them so the goal...The trick is as you did. Initially set the cups in the HT and then "work" the cups with some method to square them up with the HT (like a hammer tapped on the high points or repositioning the press to better push on those high points).
A lot of people mention pressing both cups at the same time. I prefer to do them individually, because I think the tube itself, and then the pressed cup, give a more secure point for the other side of the press to work on. Is there a particular reason to press both at once, other than saving a few minutes?
Likes For robertorolfo:
Old 06-11-20, 01:12 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7345 Post(s)
Liked 2,452 Times in 1,430 Posts
@robertorolfo, that sounds better. Now that I think of it, I might have done it one cup at a time. I just can't remember.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Likes For noglider:
Old 06-11-20, 01:34 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
& along the home brew line, rather than a carriage bolt a length of Allthread rod works too , just another nut or 2..

Likes For fietsbob:
Old 06-11-20, 03:22 PM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 251 Posts
Does the black stepped cone close to the handle come off? If so, I think you will have space.
Old 06-11-20, 05:44 PM
mornview

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
so as pictured, not enough of the tool passes through the headtube to connect to the bottom press.

I was able to install the top with a board and hammer but Id obviously like to use this expensive tool instead
I have this same tool and love it. This might sound obvious, but have you unthreaded the handle as far as it can go? That got me early on.
Old 06-11-20, 07:00 PM
EamonPVD

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mornview
I have this same tool and love it. This might sound obvious, but have you unthreaded the handle as far as it can go? That got me early on.
i’m not sure what you mean...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.