Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

New bike build

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

New bike build

Old 06-25-20, 02:47 PM
quindecima

Bikes: Flex, Volkscycle MarkX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 5 Posts
New bike build

I have had this bike for at least 45 years. I realized a few years back that it is way too big for me but I kept upgrading it but now I want one my size. I have never built a bike from scratch before but it should go fine as long as I know what parts to get. I have decided on a Mallorca frame from FRAMED, I can get one at a decent price right now, I am going to go with disk brakes (shimano?) 700c tires , how big can I go? and then there are the gears and chank set. I would like a decent crankset with 2 sprockets and if I get a 11 speed rear I would still have 21 gears without having so many changes to make. Am I on the right path?
Old 06-25-20, 02:59 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,664 Times in 2,497 Posts
Hi, welcome to the forum. I moved this thread here from the framebuilders forum.

That's an interesting frame https://www.framedbikes.com/collecti...frame-and-fork
I wonder if a complete bike might not end up being cheaper though.
Old 06-25-20, 03:26 PM
quindecima

Probably but if I do it myself I can have what I want.
Likes For quindecima:
Old 06-25-20, 04:19 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 456 Times in 358 Posts
If that frame is only $345 it may be hard to buy a complete bike that is cheaper. Especially if you want to customize it anyway.
Old 06-25-20, 04:52 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1935 Post(s)
Liked 2,150 Times in 1,313 Posts
Originally Posted by zacster
If that frame is only $345 it may be hard to buy a complete bike that is cheaper. Especially if you want to customize it anyway.
^ This

I written this a few times lately. Unless you have a lot of parts already or you have a donor bike that uses the same components, it will almost always cost more to build a bike than buy one complete.

If you can't buy what you want then you should build. As an example, if someone wants a 1x11 and they don't offer or they want a 3x8 and they don't offer it. For a first bike build it is just tough to not buy the wrong component and then have to buy another one. But if you can get a 2x11 why build it.

My first bike build was simple; although I did build wheels. But I was moving the majority of parts from one Cannondale to another. I bought a bike, upgraded it, a few years later I bought a better frame at a really good price and moved the upgraded parts over and put the original parts back on the first frame. I bought a few components, hard to make a mistake on getting the right a seatpost when you are holding one in your hand.

John
Old 06-25-20, 06:12 PM
quindecima

I'm not going to find what I want but on the other hand I can only salvage so many parts off my other bike. I can probably get 200 bucks for it but like you say the sum total of all the upgraded parts I have in it exceed that. I know I cant use the crank set, need a new seat anyway and probably not the fork stem. I guess I'll get the frame and see what I can get.
Old 06-25-20, 06:54 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by quindecima
I have had this bike for at least 45 years. I realized a few years back that it is way too big for me but I kept upgrading it but now I want one my size. I have never built a bike from scratch before but it should go fine as long as I know what parts to get. I have decided on a Mallorca frame from FRAMED, I can get one at a decent price right now, I am going to go with disk brakes (shimano?) 700c tires , how big can I go? and then there are the gears and chank set. I would like a decent crankset with 2 sprockets and if I get a 11 speed rear I would still have 21 gears without having so many changes to make. Am I on the right path?
Your math is off, 2 x 11 is 22.
Likes For dsbrantjr:
Old 06-25-20, 06:57 PM
quindecima

Good call, so much for a college education
Likes For quindecima:
Old 06-25-20, 07:13 PM
zacster

I'm not going to find what I want but on the other hand I can only salvage so many parts off my other bike. I can probably get 200 bucks for it but like you say the sum total of all the upgraded parts I have in it exceed that. I know I cant use the crank set, need a new seat anyway and probably not the fork stem. I guess I'll get the frame and see what I can get.
if you’re not in a rush you could scour the Internet for the parts you want at a good price and pounce when you see them. I did that on my commuter bike and ended up with 10sp XT all around. It would have cost a lot more than I paid to buy a new bike with that. It was a combination of new and used but even the used stuff was like new.
Old 06-25-20, 07:20 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

I’m not familiar with Framed bikes. They seem to get decent reviews as an imported frame at a low price. Their website shows complete 2x10 Tiagra carbon bikes for $1000 with the caveat that crank, brakes, wheels vary by build.

I know you are looking at a 2x11 and if that is the frame you want I guess you need to go for it. You’ll just need to get the frame and see what components will work.

John
Old 06-26-20, 01:25 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1792 Post(s)
Liked 1,671 Times in 955 Posts
I see a couple of possible problems with that frame. First: it has post mount brake fittings while most road brake callipers are now flat mount. Second, it uses quick release axles while most disc brake road bikes are now through axle. It could make it difficult to source parts for the build
Old 06-26-20, 04:08 PM
robertorolfo

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 113 Posts
I have decided on a Mallorca frame from FRAMED, I can get one at a decent price right now...
Hmmm, I just got a promo email featuring that bike, from one of the British websites. Coincidence?
Old 06-26-20, 04:40 PM
quindecima

Crap, It looks like that frame is out and nothing on EPay as per Alcjphil, can somebody steer me in the right direction? Aluminum or Carbon is O.K.
Old 06-26-20, 04:53 PM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 287 Times in 160 Posts
What are you looking for other than for disc brake compatibilty? Size? geometry? Price? So many options.
Old 06-26-20, 04:58 PM
quindecima

I'm looking for a 53,54cm lightweight frame that I can install disks on. I'm retired so price is a consideration. After looking around I guess I could use an adapter for the flat to post and as far as thru axle goes, I will never be racing WTHeck do I care, I am sure somewhere out there is a QR hub for disks. BTW, would it be more cost effective to have the correct hubs for disks laced onto my existing rims or purchase a new set?

Last edited by quindecima; 06-26-20 at 05:02 PM.
Old 06-26-20, 05:53 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1792 Post(s)
Liked 1,671 Times in 955 Posts
Crap, It looks like that frame is out and nothing on EPay as per Alcjphil, can somebody steer me in the right direction? Aluminum or Carbon is O.K.
I hated pooping the party, but so it goes. There are probably tons of alternatives if you are willing to search for them. All that I did was to point out the current pitfalls with your choice. Building a bike from components is not as simple as buying a frame. You have to know what components will work with that frame and whether those components will still be available in the future. The people who spec bikes for their companies are chasing a moving target, what works today may be obsolete in 5 years. Unfortunately for you, your original choice for a frame to build up was at least 5 years out of date. Quick release hubs for road bikes with disc brakes are a thing of the past. don't even think about going there

Last edited by alcjphil; 06-26-20 at 05:58 PM.
Old 06-26-20, 07:04 PM
branko_76 

Bikes: ........................................ .....Holdsworth "Special"..... .......Falcon "Special".......... .........Miyata 912........... ........................................

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 701 Post(s)
Liked 667 Times in 417 Posts
I have had this bike for at least 45 years. I realized a few years back that it is way too big for me but I kept upgrading it but now I want one my size. I have never built a bike from scratch before but it should go fine as long as I know what parts to get. I have decided on a Mallorca frame from FRAMED, I can get one at a decent price right now, I am going to go with disk brakes (shimano?) 700c tires , how big can I go? and then there are the gears and chank set. I would like a decent crankset with 2 sprockets and if I get a 11 speed rear I would still have 21 gears without having so many changes to make.......... Am I on the right path?
Building your own bike is a rewarding experience, even if it does cost more than a ready-made bike.

Are you on the right path? I'm not sure you are on any path just yet. I would suggest putting a complete list of parts together from the vendors of your choice and post it here. You will learn alot doing it and you will get more meaningful feedback.
Old 06-26-20, 07:27 PM
70sSanO

Originally Posted by alcjphil
I hated pooping the party, but so it goes. There are probably tons of alternatives if you are willing to search for them. All that I did was to point out the current pitfalls with your choice. Building a bike from components is not as simple as buying a frame. You have to know what components will work with that frame and whether those components will still be available in the future. The people who spec bikes for their companies are chasing a moving target, what works today may be obsolete in 5 years. Unfortunately for you, your original choice for a frame to build up was at least 5 years out of date. Quick release hubs for road bikes with disc brakes are a thing of the past. don't even think about going there
The OP is retired and is riding a bike that is 45 years old. Who cares if in 5 years it will be obsolete or if QR disc wheels are a thing of the past. The most important thing is to find a solid frame or bike that will give him years of enjoyment. And if he can buy last years tech for 50% all the better.

The issue right now is inventory is really down and bikes are going for a premium. That is bad combination to find a good bike at a great deal.

John
Old 06-26-20, 07:53 PM
quindecima

"The OP is retired and is riding a bike that is 45 years old. Who cares if in 5 years it will be obsolete or if QR disc wheels are a thing of the past. The most important thing is to find a solid frame or bike that will give him years of enjoyment. And if he can buy last years tech for 50% all the better."

At this point my sentiments exactly
Old 06-27-20, 03:21 AM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts

I’d probably keep your old bike complete and use it to offset the cost of your new build. You might be able to get more by parting it out, but that always takes a while, and you may end up with a pile of parts that no one wants, but don’t make a complete bike.

Typically, building a bike from (new) parts costs 30% 50% more than buying one complete. Especially if you don’t really have a specific “plan” or key components for it. Also, all of the small parts you will need to finish it, like stem, cables, bar tape, add up quick.

You can build a modern-ish (9/10 speed) bike pretty inexpensively from take-offs and NOS parts, but the same goes, unless you’ve got something really specific in mind, it’s usually cheaper to buy a complete bike.
Old 06-27-20, 08:52 AM
quindecima

O.K. I found one on Epay, It is a FELT FXa 2019, Take a look "party pooper" and see if this will be fine or should I start sharpening up my wrist cutter.
Old 06-27-20, 09:12 AM
quindecima

And what about the wheels, should I re-lace the rims or get new wheels?
Old 06-27-20, 10:05 AM
zacster

And what about the wheels, should I re-lace the rims or get new wheels?
Are your wheels through axle/disc brake wheels? If they aren't you will need new wheels. Given that your parts bike is NOT an up-to-the-minute bike it is unlikely that your wheels will work. But new wheels for that will cost $$$, even building yourself. I think I saw the ebay frame you are looking at and for $399 it looks nice, but you'll be hard pressed to build it up for much less than a complete bike even at the low frame price. You MAY be able to find parts cheap, but you won't be able to find a complete set of parts cheap. They are all too modern. An older frame, say 5-10 years old will take parts that are ubiquitous out there, but a newer one takes very specific parts that you won't find used or heavily discounted. You'll need BB, wheels, disc brakes, crank, whatever shifting setup you want. It'll cost.

When I built up an older bike I looked for v-brakes, QR, reused my BB, built my wheels, XT 10sp shifting. All were readily available used or discounted new as it was already old news.
Old 06-27-20, 12:15 PM
70sSanO

A lot depends on your budget. If you want to build a 2x11 disc brake bike for under $1000, it might be tough if you don’t have any modern components.

I don’t want to discourage you. At one time I would have thought a 5/6 year old 2x10 but barely used might be a suggestion. But it is just tough finding anything these days that isn’t over priced.

John

Last edited by 70sSanO; 06-27-20 at 12:30 PM.
Old 06-27-20, 05:15 PM
quindecima

I think I will go for the last frame I found. It's all modern and will out last me (cough cough) It will take me a few months to gather all the stuff up but I have nothing but time.

No, my wheels are QR and I would have to get thru hubs and have them laced on my aluminum 700c's , I don't know if that is cost effective or not.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.