Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

How To Deak W. FC-CT90 Crank Recall During COVID-19

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

How To Deak W. FC-CT90 Crank Recall During COVID-19

Old 07-14-20, 07:33 PM
Papa Tom

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 136 Posts
How To Deal w. FC-CT90 Crank Recall During COVID-19

So the crank on my 1996 GT Outpost was recalled in 1997, but the LBS sold me one in 2016. That LBS is now out of business, and every other shop in the area is backed up on service for 4-5 weeks. Shimano will not just send me the recall kit and let me do the work myself, so I have to wait for that day COVID-19 is going to "just disappear" before I can get my crank replaced. Plus, Shimano tells me the recall kit - which includes the crank, a bottom bracket, a chain, a chain ring, and a front derailleur - is back-ordered for at least 2-3 months. In the same breath, the Shimano rep advised that I should not, under any circumstances, ride on the recalled cranks, as they could crack and send me tumbling to my death.

I'd like to put this behind me and continue riding without a possible crank failure, but I do not want to leave my bike in a shop for 4-5 weeks during this very short riding season. Would it be easy enough to pair a new crankset with my existing bottom bracket, chainring, deraillleur, etc., or is there a reason they are providing all these items?

Last edited by Papa Tom; 03-31-21 at 07:28 AM.
Old 07-14-20, 07:59 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4172 Post(s)
Liked 3,792 Times in 2,271 Posts
So a 24 year old recall is being held up by a world health crisis? Please don't cry.

Your choices are to ignore the "don't ride it" and continue to enjoy the bike till a replacement is delivered, try to source the various parts yourself (and remember these parts could be used from fleabay and if the correct crank was chosen only it would need replacing), buy a used bike to ride in the meantime or suffer and find another way to get your fix. Sorry to sound harsh but you do have options and the world is focused on bigger issues right now. I will say that if Shimano is willing to warranty your crank, when they have availability, it say a lot about their value on honoring their responsibilities, even after 24 years. Andy
Old 07-14-20, 08:03 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds.

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1774 Post(s)
Liked 1,231 Times in 852 Posts
For the hassle, I think I'd just look for a $40 crank & matching BB.
IF you want to ride soon.
You might explain "the situation" to the LBS and see if they will let you just bring in the crank when things slow down AND the are back in supply.
That would save them the actual labor of doing the swap.
You now have spare crank kit.
Aren't those riveted rings?
Old 07-14-20, 08:40 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
I'm also amazed Shimano is still able to honor that crank recall from 1997.

In 1996 I bought Trek 730 hybrids for my daughter and daughter-in-law and the Shimano cranks on both were recalled a year later. Apparently there was a casting or molding flaw and a few of the arms had cracked. My LBS got both replacement kits for me within a few weeks and I installed them with no difficulty.
Old 07-14-20, 09:33 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2350 Post(s)
Liked 1,728 Times in 1,180 Posts
It's a safety recall, not a warranty. They honor it not based on their "values", but because they're required by law to do so. Forever. Trivializing a safety issue for what may well be the owner's only way to get around doesn't help.

Papa Tom , have you checked with any not-so-local bike shops? There's actually a shop here, long-standing business, one of the biggest in town, and they've started advertising on the radio recently. In one ad, the owner actually describes this recall and describes how they still get bikes in with the recalled cranksets. So obviously there are shops willing to deal with it. Maybe there's one you can ship your crankset to, who will in turn ship it off to Shimano. Meanwhile, as suggested, just look for a suitable replacement crankset, new or used. Try a shop that sells used parts online, such as the Old Spokes Home in Burlington VT.
Likes For madpogue:
Old 07-14-20, 11:11 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4252 Post(s)
Liked 3,866 Times in 2,579 Posts
Originally Posted by madpogue
... and they've started advertising on the radio recently. In one ad, the owner actually describes this recall and describes how they still get bikes in with the recalled cranksets
Some bike shop recently advertised on the radio about a recall from the 1990s? I have high doubts on that." Hey folks don't touch that dial, come down to Performance Bikes where 90s era recalls are our speciality, have a cheap crank that got caught up in the 90s recall-a-palooza and you decided to wait over 20 years to get around to it, you are just in luck, we are running special recall one and get the second one recalled too, Also stock up on our Kirk Precision frames"

I am sorry but I doubt someone would pay money to advertise for a 23 year old recall that nets them zero money and a lot of potential headaches trying to file claims for that. I am not saying a shop shouldn't help a customer I am saying they wouldn't waste time and money to advertise for something that out of date.
Old 07-14-20, 11:43 PM
madpogue 

Sorry you doubt it, but I've heard the ad myself. If you doubt it, feel free to visit their web site, https://www.budgetbicyclectr.com , find a phone or Email contact and ask. The owner, Roger Charly, narrates the ads himself. You could probably speak to Roger himself if you ask.

Roger is one of two "multi-millionaires in overalls" I know in Dane County. His shop actually spans several buildings, up and down Regent Street and elsewhere near downtown. He claims his used shop is the largest in the world. He didn't get this far by being stupid about marketing. He knows that anyone bringing in an old bike with a recalled crankset is probably coming in for other service, and might just be talked into trading in for a new bike.
Likes For madpogue:
Old 07-15-20, 05:53 AM
Papa Tom

Thanks for the productive replies. No thanks for the sarcastic ones, but I'm cutting people a little slack for being frustrated and a little nastier these days.

Four things I want to point out.

1. Despite being acutely aware that we are in a "world health crisis," I try very hard to keep my own frustration and fears out of comments I post on newsgroups that function as a respite for people like myself who are on COVID/Politics/Racism overload. Yes, my cheap crank recall is a minuscule issue compared to almost 600,000 coronavirus deaths as of today, but I have a theory that these might be the best days of the rest of our lives and I've decided to spend them doing the things I enjoy the most; things I can do without putting my health - and the health of others - at risk. Cycling is one of those things. The season for me, here in NY, is short and I don't want to miss the entire summer and fall because Shimano's attorneys say I can't replace my own parts on a bike I have been disassembling, servicing, and rebuilding every year since the late 1990's. All I want is to keep riding and to know the parts will be shipped to me when available.

2. As madpoque very perceptively speculated, as the result of what I see as a risky driving arrangement at work, I have chosen to use my bicycle to travel ten miles to work four mornings per week. I am not permitted to use my own car, and I refuse to pack into a minivan with four other people, all of whom are COVID deniers and mask rebels. Yes, I have other bikes, but one is a small, single-speed folder, another is a mountain bike lacking the connection points I need for all the baggage I have to carry to work, and another is a clunky single-speed beach cruiser that would never get me over the hills I need to negotiate. Quite honestly, though, it's nobody's business why I choose to ride the bike that I do and why it's still my main set of wheels after 25 years. I am not part of the Throw-Away-Last-Year's-iPhone-Generation.

3. I believe the reason Shimano is still honoring the recall is that the cranks continued to be sold until fairly recently. I bought mine, new, as a replacement from a legitimate bike shop in 2016, almost twenty years after the initial recall. Either someone screwed up or this was a type of recall that allowed Shimano to keep dumping its inventory until someone got killed using their crankset.

4. My preferred solution from this thread so far is to look for a shop that is willing to trust me with the replacements (I have done bb's, cranks, chains, and derailleurs on this bike before) and do the whole thing through the mail. The local shops will not even let me keep the bike until the parts come in, which, as noted earlier, could be 2-3 months, minimum, as per Shimano itself. To semi-guarantee that the service will be performed within the time estimated, they want the bike in the shop and ready to go up on the stand at any given moment. Seems like it should create a storage problem for them, doesn't it?
Likes For Papa Tom:
Old 07-15-20, 06:43 AM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
I imagine Shimano requires the shop to do the work for liability reasons. I suspect that Shimano provides the parts to the shop and reimburses them only for for their labor; If the shop just hands you the parts there is no mechanism for them to be paid for their time except to falsify their labor records.
Old 07-15-20, 07:59 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

It's a safety recall, not a warranty. They honor it not based on their "values", but because they're required by law to do so. Forever.
That's not true. The statute of limitations for automobile safety recalls is generally 10 years but does vary from state to state. It can be as short as two years for some products. It certainly isn't forever.
Old 07-15-20, 10:08 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Quoted: 1935 Post(s)
Liked 2,150 Times in 1,313 Posts
Get the parts you need and do the work yourself and move on. If you get some replacement parts or compensation from Shimano, or get nothing, it doesn’t really matter in the scheme of things.

The principle is just not worth it.

John

Edit added: I understand why Shimano wants the shop to replace it. They don’t want people to just show up with the the crank and bb and get a new one they can sell them or use on a totally different bike. Not that it would be widespread, but Shimano probably doesn’t want to give away parts for a bike is in an unrideable condition/broken.

Last edited by 70sSanO; 07-15-20 at 10:22 AM.
Old 07-15-20, 10:39 AM
madpogue 

Originally Posted by HillRider
That's not true. The statute of limitations for automobile safety recalls is generally 10 years but does vary from state to state. It can be as short as two years for some products. It certainly isn't forever.
Safety recalls are federal. Our motor vehicles are 25 years old and older; we've gotten mandated safety recall notices on the trucks way more than 10 years after the fact. I recently received a replacement fork from SRAM for a recalled RockShox fork from 2001, before SRAM even owned RockShox, again, the rep told me that they're required by federal law to honor the recall. Maybe they're not privy to the same information you have.

In the OP's case, it's unfortunate that Shimano is so entrenched about the process. SRAM would not allow me to return my fork and get the replacement directly. I had to use an LBS as an intermediary for the shipment each way. But they had no problem with me removing the fork, knocking off the crown race and dropping the bare fork off at the LBS. The shop wasn't the least bit reluctant to process the paperwork and handle the shipment/receipt for me. I have no idea if SRAM paid them any for their time.

Seems like even if Shimano required a shop to broker the actual shipment of the recalled / replacement parts, they should allow an owner to remove/install them. What happens if you're going through a bin of parts you've purchased, and come across one of the three models of crankset that's part of the recall. Would Shimano require you to install it on a bike and then take it in for replacement?
Old 07-15-20, 10:49 AM
robertorolfo

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 113 Posts
Originally Posted by Papa Tom
So the crank on my 1996 GT Outpost was recalled in 1997, but the LBS sold me one in 2016. That LBS is now out of business, and every other shop in the area is backed up on service for 4-5 weeks. Shimano will not just send me the recall kit and let me do the work myself, so I have to wait for that day COVID-19 is going to "just disappear" before I can get my crank replaced. Plus, Shimano tells me the recall kit - which includes the crank, a bottom bracket, a chain, a chain ring, and a front derailleur - is back-ordered for at least 2-3 months. In the same breath, the Shimano rep advised that I should not, under any circumstances, ride on the recalled cranks, as they could crack and send me tumbling to my death.
I'd like to put this behind me and continue riding without a possible crank failure, but I do not want to leave my bike in a shop for 4-5 weeks during this very short riding season. Would it be easy enough to pair a new crankset with my existing bottom bracket, chainring, deraillleur, etc., or is there a reason they are providing all these items?
Just curious which LBS is the one that shut down, and which one you are dealing with now (I'm a local)?

Since you are already familiar with the procedure for removing the crank, I'd get a cheap one online that can get you through this period, and then put the defective crank back on when the time comes for you to have the recall work done. I get that the shop wants you to leave the bike with them (although I agree it is strange, considering they always seem to have storage issues), so I'd just do your own thing and then pretend that you want to initiate the recall procedure later on (when the weather gets worse or whatever).
Old 07-15-20, 10:53 AM
HillRider

Safety recalls are federal. Our motor vehicles are 25 years old and older; we've gotten mandated safety recall notices on the trucks way more than 10 years after the fact.
The NHTSA only requires a recall to be done for 10 years from the sale of the vehicle. If the manufacturer chooses to provide the service past that time they certainly may do so but the law doesn't compel them to. Many manufacturers will honor recalls way past the required time as Shimano appears willing to do.
Old 07-15-20, 11:00 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
Federal law bars any person from selling products subject to a publicly announced voluntary recall by a manufacturer or a mandatory recall ordered by the Commission.
https://www.cpsc.gov/Recalls/1997/cp...cle-components

I don't see a time limit specified.

You can imagine what you want.
Old 07-15-20, 12:05 PM
madpogue 

The NHTSA only requires a recall to be done for 10 years from the sale of the vehicle. If the manufacturer chooses to provide the service past that time they certainly may do so but the law doesn't compel them to. Many manufacturers will honor recalls way past the required time as Shimano appears willing to do.
Well, as I mentioned, with every recall in which I've participated, all involving products/vehicles 15-20 years old, the company said they were proceeding as required by law. Not my words, theirs.
Old 07-15-20, 12:51 PM
Papa Tom

Originally Posted by robertorolfo
Just curious which LBS is the one that shut down, and which one you are dealing with now (I'm a local)?

Since you are already familiar with the procedure for removing the crank, I'd get a cheap one online that can get you through this period, and then put the defective crank back on when the time comes for you to have the recall work done. I get that the shop wants you to leave the bike with them (although I agree it is strange, considering they always seem to have storage issues), so I'd just do your own thing and then pretend that you want to initiate the recall procedure later on (when the weather gets worse or whatever).
I think this is what I am going to do. Unfortunately, i can't seem to find a compatible crank right now, either. The only one available (Brands, Wantagh) requires a different bottom bracket. I just replaced mine - and bought a second one as a backup - so I'm not ready to eat all those costs, too!

The two shops I could always count on to get parts for this old bike were Visentin in Oyster Bay and Williams Cyclery in Plainview , definitely not mainstream shops, so you probably don't know them. Both closed this past year.
Old 07-15-20, 01:42 PM
madpogue 

I wonder if a cheap 1x crankset would be an option. That, plus remove the front derailleur. Yes, you're down to a 1x7 (or whatever), but chainline / compatibility with the BB shouldn't be as much of an issue.
Old 07-15-20, 02:46 PM
robertorolfo

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 113 Posts
Originally Posted by Papa Tom
I think this is what I am going to do. Unfortunately, i can't seem to find a compatible crank right now, either. The only one available (Brands, Wantagh) requires a different bottom bracket. I just replaced mine - and bought a second one as a backup - so I'm not ready to eat all those costs, too!

The two shops I could always count on to get parts for this old bike were Visentin in Oyster Bay and Williams Cyclery in Plainview , definitely not mainstream shops, so you probably don't know them. Both closed this past year.
Are you using a square taper bottom bracket? Do you still have the old one? Maybe you can find something compatible and put the old one back on. Or maybe find a really cheap square taper and crank.

I know Brands, but indeed I wasn't familiar with the other two shops. Shame they closed before this little boom took place. Mineola Bicycle was my LBS growing up, and recently when visiting family on the weekends I've seen lines outside every time I went by.
Old 07-15-20, 02:51 PM
madpogue 

The three models covered in the recall are all square taper.
Old 07-15-20, 03:00 PM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 340 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
Some bike shop recently advertised on the radio about a recall from the 1990s? I have high doubts on that." Hey folks don't touch that dial, come down to Performance Bikes where 90s era recalls are our speciality, have a cheap crank that got caught up in the 90s recall-a-palooza and you decided to wait over 20 years to get around to it, you are just in luck, we are running special recall one and get the second one recalled too, Also stock up on our Kirk Precision frames"

I am sorry but I doubt someone would pay money to advertise for a 23 year old recall that nets them zero money and a lot of potential headaches trying to file claims for that. I am not saying a shop shouldn't help a customer I am saying they wouldn't waste time and money to advertise for something that out of date.
Vegan, I don't live in Madison anymore but I do know the shop and the radio ad is completely credible. I think its more like "Folks we go to great lengths to ensure your safety. Today, we're still replacing cranks (the Shimano XYZ) from as far back as1994. We've got the parts. Bring your bike in today to ensure it's safe, comfortable, and efficient!" Something like that.
Old 07-15-20, 03:48 PM
HillRider

Originally Posted by Iride01
"Federal law bars any person from selling products subject to a publicly announced voluntary recall by a manufacturer or a mandatory recall ordered by the Commission."

https://www.cpsc.gov/Recalls/1997/cp...cle-components

I don't see a time limit specified.

You can imagine what you want.
I don't think we are debating the same thing. Yes, federal law does forbid selling a product known to be subject to a recall, and in this case the OP's dealer was apparently in violation.

However, once a recall has been issued, the products that have already been sold to the public are subject to the provisions of the recall for 10 years.
Old 07-15-20, 04:13 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
I don't think we are debating the same thing. Yes, federal law does forbid selling a product known to be subject to a recall, and in this case the OP's dealer was apparently in violation.

However, once a recall has been issued, the products that have already been sold to the public are subject to the provisions of the recall for 10 years.
I realize it wasn't quite the topic. I thought that it might provoke you and others to link to something showing your viewpoint.

I'm not certain there is any requirement for the manufacturer to do anything monetarily outside the warranty terms of your purchase. I think all they have to do is identify the problem and provide a solution. A viable solution could include tell you to stop using the product, you won't get a refund.

Most mfr's aren't going to do that. Some will remedy the issue at their expense as long as they are in business. Some even afterwards. I have a refrigerator that I use in my garage that is older than me. It is powered by natural gas and still cools and freezes ice. However it was recalled many years ago. If I wanted, I could turn it in and get 100 bucks for it to be scrapped.

https://www.cpsc.gov/Recalls/1998/cp...n%20destroyed.
Old 07-16-20, 07:57 AM
Glennfordx4

Bikes: Too many Bicycles to list

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 44 Posts
I have over 18 claims that Shimano has taken care of through the shop I work at and out of them none showed any problems and all came off bikes that were being used until other problems took the bike down. There are no hills in our area so cranks under warranty don't break much here. I would ride the bike in a flat area and try to avoid standing up pedaling, ride it like a cruiser and you will be fine till you can get the warranty replacement

Glenn
Old 07-16-20, 10:22 AM
madpogue 

Originally Posted by Iride01
I have a refrigerator that I use in my garage that is older than me. It is powered by natural gas and still cools and freezes ice.
One man's "old" is another man's "steampunk".

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.