Search
Notices
Southeast Alabama | Arkansas | Florida | Georgia | Kentucky | Louisiana | Mississippi | North Carolina | South Carolina | Tennessee | Virginia

Atlanta Belt Line

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-20, 11:12 PM
Elbeinlaw

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 68 Posts
Atlanta Belt Line

īs there a current map of the Belt Line? The Belt Line (or maybe its the PATH) assoc. on line map is useless. If a I'm looking to ride it, you'd think they'd encourage it, but instead it's like a secret society and you have to know the handshake. So: map, anyone?
Old 07-18-20, 06:34 AM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Bikes: 1995 Trek 800 Sport, aka, "CamelTrek"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 282 Posts
It is difficult to find just what you want. Try this page with link to Google maps:
https://beltline.org/2013/12/06/the-...e-street-view/
Old 07-18-20, 08:10 AM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
There is an overall map of it that can be used in conjunction with Google Maps (on bicycling mode) to get a really workable route map. I am sure you are aware that large sections of this, particularly the NW section are not completed, and not really even a viable "trail" ride when you consider some of the roadways you have to get on to complete the circuit. Other parts of it are/have been best ridden on a bike that will do dirt/gravel.

I haven't been out in a minute but as I understand it you can ride from Piedmont Park all the way to the area around Westview Cemetery without having to be off a bike path. There is also a path heading out towards Stone Mountain but unless something has changed it dumps you onto a SUPER busy road ride beside Fernbank. The Eastside trail is SUPER busy during weekends and after work hours (traditionally). I highly suggest riding it during traditional work hours to get the best of it. The Westside trail is much less busy, although there are now a couple of small "cool" shopping areas and shops along parts of it now as well. The Southern aspect is still a work in progress as I understand, I haven't done it since it was literally a goat path. There is a big paved section just near Krog that takes off in the correct direction, but think it goes to gravel a short way down.

TBH, unsure of how you get there...but as a suggestion. Drive and park at the Botanical Gardens. Ride South through Piedmont Park and just follow. There is a seven mile (probably more by now) super cool ride down the Eastside Trail. There are a couple of miles cross trail on the Stone Mountain Path. When you get down near Krog/Edgewood and feel brave there should be enough signage to get you across to the Westside Trail. I prefer riding up on MARTA and getting off at Five Points or at West End according to where I want to start. Before the Southern section was more completed I used Edgewood and Auburn or SMT to Jackson/Irwin St as my back and forth.

Last edited by Juan Foote; 07-18-20 at 08:17 AM.
Old 07-18-20, 08:26 AM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

As a side....ABI (was) does a couple of guided rides for the various sections, and also a time or two a year does a paid tour of the entire proposed route. I am sure there are deets on the website you are already digging through.

Aside from them. The Atlanta Critical Mass ride (https://www.facebook.com/groups/AtlantaCM) and participants often do big sections of the Beltline as part of their rides. It would be quite easy to find some information via them even if you weren't looking to join Mass. Sam Fistel/Angel Luis Poventud (hint)

Additionally there is a FB group called Atlanta Midnight Full Moon Ride, or some variation, that does so as well. (not the big behemoth, small group). In a quick look it appears they may not be active any more, but that was also Sam's doing.
Old 07-18-20, 08:42 AM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Posting again...apparently as of at least July 8 one of the bridges on the SS trail are torn down and has a detour route, just FYI.
Old 07-18-20, 11:34 AM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Atlanta Beltline Zoom in until you see the green lines that represent the bicycle paths.
Likes For Digger Goreman:
Old 07-19-20, 07:21 PM
Elbeinlaw

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 68 Posts
Thanks to both of you. Maybe y'all can answer another question. What the best place to park to pick up the Decatur/Stone Mt Trail on the Near-Decatur end?
Old 07-19-20, 09:02 PM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

The non-road part ends at the Rocky Ford Rd underpass. A half mile west of that, where College St turns into Howard St (at the corner) there is a gravel parking lot that is always empty. Otherwise, maybe the East Lake Marta station (no clue on their parking rules).
Old 07-20-20, 03:51 PM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Hard to say on that one. If were to do that I would park out at MARTA and ride in past/to Inman Park/Reynoldstown. Edgewood/Candler Park is good if you don't mind riding along bike lanes "ish" for a short distance.

If you use the above referenced Google Maps/bicycle directions, type in Olmstead Linear Park and you will immediately see the challenge you are faced there.

As another alternative, if you drive in to the 4th Ward skate park there is free daytime parking and you are right at the crossing of the Eastside and SMT. There is good secure pay parking at the Botanical Gardens/Piedmont. You can park on the street in many of the neighborhood areas there, but totally un-secure. Much of the pay for parking decks are actually West of the Eastside Beltline. One of my favorites for driving/parking is the pay lot located at Five Points on Wall St SW. It offers great access to the cross streets I referenced above.