Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

OT, getting photos uncontaminated by acrobat reader

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 08-18-20, 03:10 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1560 Post(s)
Liked 1,282 Times in 853 Posts

I have scanned photos that by default become adobe acrobat files, where any use or manipulation of said photos seems to require Adobe's permission, i.e. having to sign up or log in, etc. How did that poor software become the default for my scanner all of a sudden?

I did manage to convert to pdf format, then into my photos folder, but still the photos are held hostage by their clingy-as-mucous adobe acrobat format.

So, does one have to pay them to get the photos to be like the other photos (from my camera) that appear in the default generic pictures window?

It seems obvious that Adobe wants to force the user's hand(?).
Old 08-18-20, 03:16 PM
Big Block

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 78 Posts
what program did you scan the image with?
can you select what output it is to be saved to?
Old 08-18-20, 03:16 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Are the files you have PDF files? Google "convert PDF to jpeg online". There are free online converters for almost anything these days.
Old 08-18-20, 03:39 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Seems like more of the same, just having to deal with adobe software in any way, even a simple task becomes "free trial" , etc.

I will do my best to rid my machine of any adobe defaults as seemed to have occurred. Eternal boycott of Adobe!

Honestly feels like using PC's 20 years ago, with all kinds of outfits trying to sneak new bloatware onto your suffering machine.

I'm surprised to see their stock price rising, doesn't bode well.

Last edited by dddd; 08-18-20 at 03:43 PM.
Old 08-18-20, 03:49 PM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
Convert them to JPG. There's not much point to using the PDF format for photos, generally speaking. There's probably an option on your scanning software to save directly to jpg.

There should be a control panel somewhere that lets you choose which apps open pdf files by default. I don't really use Windows anymore so can't tell you where it is nowadays. Anyway, change the default app for PDF filest to something other than Adobe reader if it's giving you grief.
Old 08-18-20, 03:58 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Literally all that Control panel lets me do with printers is to add a new one or view the one(s) already there.

Windows 10 seems to have a limited (as in non-existent) scope of user preferences.

Even my choice of browser is nowhere to be found, looking through Device Manager, My Computer, Settings and Control Panel. How would I even change this?
Noting that a major update recently occurred to Windows 10, messed up the network settings this time.

Odd thing is that in the past, the same scanner and laptop produced usable images that were formatted about like pictures from the camera, ready to go.

Last edited by dddd; 08-18-20 at 04:13 PM.
Old 08-18-20, 04:05 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2295 Post(s)
Liked 2,041 Times in 1,250 Posts
What OS and how are you 'importing' the scans? WHat model scanner? An HP scanner will have it's own software, as will others. Adobe has it's own software for different programs.
Windows 10 has 'Windows Scan' freeware. JPG's or PNG's are small and high quality formats to work with. Adobe Reader likes to stay in the PDF environment but you maybe able to export image files . That's a pain, I realize.

Look up Windows Scan freeware download. I can't give you the US url from Canada it seems.
Old 08-18-20, 04:23 PM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

It isn't the printer settings that need to change, it's the app settings.

Winders 10? from microsoft: "On the Start menu, select Settings > Apps > Default apps."
Old 08-18-20, 09:03 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Originally Posted by clubman
What OS and how are you 'importing' the scans? WHat model scanner? An HP scanner will have it's own software, as will others. Adobe has it's own software for different programs.
Windows 10 has 'Windows Scan' freeware. JPG's or PNG's are small and high quality formats to work with. Adobe Reader likes to stay in the PDF environment but you maybe able to export image files . That's a pain, I realize.

Look up Windows Scan freeware download. I can't give you the US url from Canada it seems.
It's a Canon MX882 all-in-one printer, and I've used it for scanning things before, photos and documents.
But I never had to deal with the Adobe Acrobat window before, which seems as weird as having to use a Macintosh machine!

Still trying to figure out how to make my pc default to the former "normal" scanned format instead.

I have called Canon in the past to make the printer work, seems that for a few years there I would have to call them every year around tax time to get new drivers installed or other pc tweaks to get the thing working again on the same old HP laptop. They've always been super responsive in solving problems.
Old 08-18-20, 09:09 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Originally Posted by Salamandrine
It isn't the printer settings that need to change, it's the app settings.

Winders 10? from microsoft: "On the Start menu, select Settings > Apps > Default apps."
I agree. Oh, and I did just find "defaults by app", but it's just a big list of apps all rolled together and I can't see any choices/options offered at all. Should I click on one of them (wondering what that would do).

This does seem completely different from all of the other times when for example I went to change my browser, and other things. I can't recognize it and don't know what to do with it, which I feel is intentional on Microsoft's part, like they are trying to turn my PC into a phone(?).

I used to have more functions above my screen where I could make all kinds of changes in 30 seconds, but all that's gone now.
Old 08-18-20, 09:47 PM
branko_76 

Bikes: ........................................ .....Holdsworth "Special"..... .......Falcon "Special".......... .........Miyata 912........... ........................................

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 702 Post(s)
Liked 671 Times in 419 Posts
I think Adobe invented the PDF. "Acrobat" is the Adobe program that creates and reads PDF's. If you don't have "Acrobat" (not to be confused with "Acrobat Reader" which only reads PDF's, does not create them), then you are more than likely using the scanners software.

When scanning, you should have the option within the program you are using to select the type of file, i.e., "PDF" , "JPG" , "TIF" , etc. This option is normally accessed when "saving" the file, i.e., "SAVE FILE AS......" You also save the file to a location on the computer.
Likes For branko_76:
Old 08-18-20, 09:54 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18349 Post(s)
Liked 4,501 Times in 3,346 Posts
Originally Posted by branko_76
I think Adobe invented the PDF. "Acrobat" is the Adobe program that creates and reads PDF's. If you don't have "Acrobat" (not to be confused with "Acrobat Reader" which only reads PDF's, does not create them), then you are more than likely using the scanners software.

When scanning, you should have the option within the program you are using to select the type of file, i.e., "PDF" , "JPG" , "TIF" , etc. This option is normally accessed when "saving" the file, i.e., "SAVE FILE AS......" You also save the file to a location on the computer.
Right,
Adobe Acrobat (the full version) is a commercial product that at least in the past would cost a couple hundred bucks, allowing manipulating PDF files (that aren't locked).

There have been free Print to Acrobat drivers for some time.

Acrobat Reader is distributed for free to read the Acrobat products, but now there may be some good clone readers.
Old 08-18-20, 09:58 PM
P!N20

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1077 Post(s)
Liked 1,891 Times in 928 Posts
Originally Posted by tyrion
There are free online converters for almost anything these days.
It's true, I converted my crappy Shimano 600 Tricolor groupset to a Campy C-Record gruppo. I lost a few gear inches, but fairly happy with the results.
Likes For P!N20:
Old 08-18-20, 10:01 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18349 Post(s)
Liked 4,501 Times in 3,346 Posts
As far as what is happening, somewhere in your program you should be able to select the output format.

In general, JPG is a single page format.
PDF is a multi page format.

So, in your software, turn off any settings that look like:
  • "Sheet Feeder"
  • "Multi Page"
  • "Scan Documents"
  • etc.
Turn on any settings that look like.
  • "Single Page"
  • "Photo Scan" "Image Scan"
  • "Flatbed Scan"
  • etc.
There likely is some overlap between the two.

I always turn off any features (Windows Explorer) such as "Hide File Extensions". Yeah, Windows likes to copy Macintosh, but those file extensions are very important to know. And, can differentiate between a picture and a virus.

Somewhere you have to be able to select file extensions:
.pdf (Adobe Acrobat)
.jpg
.gif
.png
etc.
Old 08-18-20, 10:22 PM
Salamandrine 

Maybe this can help. Sounds like you scroll down and Choose default apps by file type.. I haven't used windows since like 8.1 so probably not the best person to help. I'm sure MS figured out a way to make it less intuitive. I get the feeling they are trying to make it difficult to use apps that MS has not selected as default. Sounds like you have Adobe Acrobat set to open pdf's now, but it should be Acrobat Reader, or a non Adobe alternative PDF viewer. I'm sure there are dozens.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...fault-programs

Last edited by Salamandrine; 08-18-20 at 10:26 PM.
Old 08-19-20, 12:16 AM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

This is a lot of good info to chew on tomorrow morning, I was trying to do a lot of what is being recommended, just that it's less intuitive now I think.

Thanks for all of the ideas! I'll follow up on any progress with this.
Old 08-19-20, 02:45 AM
justslow

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 20 Posts
I have a current version of Win10 and the Windows Fax and Scan app (which installed with Win10) lets me save in just about any format I choose, and I would never choose PDF for pictures.

BTW, I don't use Acrobat for anything and have uninstalled it. There are free and very nice alternatives to using the Adobe software for dealing with PDF's. Avoid using Adobe, or PDF's for any image scanning or processing.

So don't despair, there's a solution.
Old 08-19-20, 07:15 AM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2295 Post(s)
Liked 2,041 Times in 1,250 Posts
Originally Posted by justslow
....Avoid using Adobe, or PDF's for any image scanning or processing.
Well, if you work in new or old media, Adobe is exactly the product you want (for a $100 per month.) Adobe Creative Cloud is the go-to suite of image processing programs for anyone in visual design, motion graphics, editing, photo, web etc.
I understand there's lots of decent freeware out there but they can't hold a candle to Adobe.

Cripes I sound like a shill...just a happy customer.

Last edited by clubman; 08-19-20 at 07:24 AM.
Likes For clubman:
Old 08-19-20, 07:43 AM
Ex Pres 
Cat 6

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 183 Times in 118 Posts
Originally Posted by dddd
This is a lot of good info to chew on tomorrow morning, I was trying to do a lot of what is being recommended, just that it's less intuitive now I think.

Thanks for all of the ideas! I'll follow up on any progress with this.
See if this from Canon helps:https://oip.manual.canon/USRMA-0150-...l#07010040_020
Note on section 6 , there is a dropdown for scan type
Old 08-19-20, 09:26 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
I would start at the beginning of the scanning process. For example, if you have a choice between "quick scan" and "advanced" go with advanced. Every scanner comes with its own software and they're all a little different, so I would bypass as much of that as possible. Somewhere you will find where you set the output format.

I always try to scan from another app if possible (I use Corel Photo paint a lot, so that's where I start). If it fails to communicate with the scanner (which happens a lot with my current scanner) I have to use the scanner software. It can be very frustrating.
Old 08-19-20, 11:54 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3582 Post(s)
Liked 3,394 Times in 1,928 Posts
ImageMagick has a "convert" utility that can do this. Free, open-source software; scriptable for bulk conversions:

https://imagemagick.org/index.php
Old 08-19-20, 12:40 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

It's very good to know that there are conversion utilities (apps) for changing format. I may need that in the future.

This morning I read all of the recommendations while remembering some of my calls to Canon in the past. While those issues were apparently related to my pc's drivers and settings, here I had neglected to utilize the functions on the little screen on my scanner, so as recommended (thanks!) I tried pressing the buttons before scanning to see what options might be hiding there.
Sure enough, the first choice to be made was the file type, which I think I changed to the jpeg option. This immediately restored the useful format window with the image that I could then toss around like any other photo, cropped it and saved it.

Thanks for the extensive replies, solved the problem and was a useful exercise for one of us low-tech types!

Here's the image btw, from a century ride some 15 years ago and where I had bought one of the post-ride photos being sold.

Likes For dddd:
Old 08-19-20, 02:01 PM
tricky 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 298 Posts
Originally Posted by dddd
It's very good to know that there are conversion utilities (apps) for changing format. I may need that in the future.

This morning I read all of the recommendations while remembering some of my calls to Canon in the past. While those issues were apparently related to my pc's drivers and settings, here I had neglected to utilize the functions on the little screen on my scanner, so as recommended (thanks!) I tried pressing the buttons before scanning to see what options might be hiding there.
Sure enough, the first choice to be made was the file type, which I think I changed to the jpeg option. This immediately restored the useful format window with the image that I could then toss around like any other photo, cropped it and saved it.

Thanks for the extensive replies, solved the problem and was a useful exercise for one of us low-tech types!

Here's the image btw, from a century ride some 15 years ago and where I had bought one of the post-ride photos being sold.

Peter Sagan, is that you?

Old 08-19-20, 02:39 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Originally Posted by tricky
Peter Sagan, is that you?

Ehh, not quite!

If you look at that guy's legs, you can see that he doesn't need a two-handed pull on the bars or a semi-recumbent riding position to power the frontwheel up, he merely extends one leg and the front wheel is up. ...Seems like a huge, unfair advantage!

You think that maybe he's practiced a bit as well?
Sagan is definitely the master of that kind of thing, at least on the road circuit. Back in the 80's I recall it was one or two of the Russian riders who would put on this kind of show.
I've practiced this kind of thing myself, on and off since the late 1970's riding old ten speeds. It was then that I started taking at least my rear brake safety lever seriously!
Likes For dddd:
Old 08-19-20, 05:39 PM
Lattz

Bikes: 80s Alan Super Record, 79' Somec Special, 90s Rossin(?) Columbus Ego Triathlon, previously: Bianchi SBX Reparto Corse (stolen) and so on...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 812 Times in 602 Posts
Originally Posted by P!N20
It's true, I converted my crappy Shimano 600 Tricolor groupset to a Campy C-Record gruppo. I lost a few gear inches, but fairly happy with the results.
Link please!!!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.