Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Alleycat Training Tips

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Alleycat Training Tips

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-11, 07:18 PM
ianjk
:)

Bikes: '07 Pista, '09 Fantom Cross Uno, '8? Miyata, '67 Stingray, '0? Zoo mod trials, Tallbike, Chopper, '73 Schwinn Collegiate, '67 Triumph Chopper, '69 CB350, '58 BSA Spitfire, '73 CB450

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
1. Build up stamina/learn area. Get drunk by noon at least 4 days a week and pick several random businesses out of phone book and bike to them as fast as you can. Video tape it and analyze tapes when sober on an off day. Take notes on traffic patterns, pedestrian activity, road hazards, place notes on 10'x6' map of the city in your warroom. If you don't have a dedicated warroom, htfu and make one.

2. Sommersaults. 100 a day rain or shine. No slacking here. Science has proven that sommersaults are the bread and butter of every great athlete. Ty Cobb, Tonya Harding, Mike Tyson, Pete Rose, Micheal Vick, Rosie Ruiz, all attribute(d) their success to intense sommersault training.

3. Diet. China Buffet (any one will do, MSG is like rocket fuel for the mind and body) for at least one meal for each of the 5 days before the race, don't ask, just do. Hydration is blown way out of preportion by the liberal media, 5 cups of water a day max (coffee/soda/energy drink is viable substitute).

4. Performance enhancers. Unsanctioned events leave this door wide open. Amphetemines, opiates, pcp, bath salts, whatever floats your boat and gets it to the finish line faster.

5. Bike. If it fits and rides, you are good here. Make sure you have good tires and inflate them properly.

6. Winning. Winning is everything, if you don't win, you lose, if you lose, you are a loser, if you are a loser, you aren't cool, if you aren't cool, well that sucks. DNF if you have to. Fiegn injury, call an Ambulance, call police on yourself to get arrested, whatever it takes. This is the only time it is ok to show weakness.

7. Conclusion. HTFU and have fun.
Old 10-18-11, 07:24 PM
homebrewk
yoked

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
PCP? Really?
Old 10-18-11, 07:34 PM
ianjk

Bikes: '07 Pista, '09 Fantom Cross Uno, '8? Miyata, '67 Stingray, '0? Zoo mod trials, Tallbike, Chopper, '73 Schwinn Collegiate, '67 Triumph Chopper, '69 CB350, '58 BSA Spitfire, '73 CB450

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by homebrewk
PCP? Really?
Have you ever seen a 120 pound junkie turn into superman and fight off 5 cops? Imagine the possibilities!
Old 10-18-11, 07:42 PM
homebrewk
yoked

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Old 10-19-11, 06:27 AM
dsh
Oh, you know...

Bikes: '74 Schwinn Sports Tourer (Polo), S-Works E5 Team Festina (Chorus 11), Trek 2200 Bonded Carbon (Fixed), Trek 920 (7 speed IGH), Chesini Olimpiade SL (1x7)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by redpear
The winners aren't always fast riders. They are also ... lucky (catching the least amount of obstructions).
Luck might make a difference in the ordering of the top few places, but there is a reason the same three people win every alleycat. Doesn't matter what city you're in, there's going to be a handful of guys who are in contention, and everyone else is fighting for DFL.

You won't be in that handful of guys, but you can still be respectable and have fun.

Your number one priority should be to not look like an *******, showing up out of nowhere and blowing lights, causing accidents, and then placing 16th out of 25.

Ride safe, ride hard, and your fitness and knowledge will determine how you place. And follow other people.
Old 10-19-11, 12:09 PM
homebrewk
yoked

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Wear a helmet too.
Old 10-19-11, 01:28 PM
jimmytango
Hi, I'm Bryan.

Bikes: 2010 Focus Mares

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ianjk
1. Build up stamina/learn area. Get drunk by noon at least 4 days a week and pick several random businesses out of phone book and bike to them as fast as you can. Video tape it and analyze tapes when sober on an off day. Take notes on traffic patterns, pedestrian activity, road hazards, place notes on 10'x6' map of the city in your warroom. If you don't have a dedicated warroom, htfu and make one.

2. Sommersaults. 100 a day rain or shine. No slacking here. Science has proven that sommersaults are the bread and butter of every great athlete. Ty Cobb, Tonya Harding, Mike Tyson, Pete Rose, Micheal Vick, Rosie Ruiz, all attribute(d) their success to intense sommersault training.

3. Diet. China Buffet (any one will do, MSG is like rocket fuel for the mind and body) for at least one meal for each of the 5 days before the race, don't ask, just do. Hydration is blown way out of preportion by the liberal media, 5 cups of water a day max (coffee/soda/energy drink is viable substitute).

4. Performance enhancers. Unsanctioned events leave this door wide open. Amphetemines, opiates, pcp, bath salts, whatever floats your boat and gets it to the finish line faster.

5. Bike. If it fits and rides, you are good here. Make sure you have good tires and inflate them properly.

6. Winning. Winning is everything, if you don't win, you lose, if you lose, you are a loser, if you are a loser, you aren't cool, if you aren't cool, well that sucks. DNF if you have to. Fiegn injury, call an Ambulance, call police on yourself to get arrested, whatever it takes. This is the only time it is ok to show weakness.

7. Conclusion. HTFU and have fun.
Old 10-19-11, 01:31 PM
lz4005
coasterbrakelockup

Bikes: surly steamroller w/coaster brake, electra single speed cruiser, specialized rockhopper commuter, no-name single speed folder, 700c ultimate wheel, 24" unicycle, specialized bmx lsd, single seat single speed huffy tandem, pink upsidedown parade bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by measley0101
i have a backpack (not a messenger bag), i suspect i will need a map, what else should i expect to need?
Best thing I ever did was bring a sharpie and write the checkpoint addresses on my arm, in the order I planned on hitting them.
Old 10-19-11, 01:46 PM
homebrewk
yoked

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by lz4005
Best thing I ever did was bring a sharpie and write the checkpoint addresses on my arm, in the order I planned on hitting them.
Not a bad idea actually.

Unless it's freezing out.
Old 10-19-11, 02:15 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4236 Post(s)
Liked 2,949 Times in 1,808 Posts
Oh and don't forget to bring your crazy eyes. No one messes with the dude with crazy eyes. A few fresh prison tats work pretty well too.

Old 10-19-11, 02:38 PM
91MF
i'll probably break it

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
nunchaku
Old 10-19-11, 11:38 PM
measley0101

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Squirrelli
Pen, cue cards and map is optional unless you're totally clueless about your city.

Where are you from?
im in denton, tx. thanks for all the good info, like i said, im not expecting to show up and smoke everyone but i would like to not look like a complete dip **** out there. i would love to get a messenger/courier type job but to my knowledge there is nothing of the sort in my area, otherwise i would be all over it.
Old 10-19-11, 11:58 PM
jimmytango
Hi, I'm Bryan.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Looks like someone needs to start a business. Also, if there's no courier scene. Who competes in the alleycat?
Old 10-20-11, 08:19 AM
ianjk

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jimmytango
Looks like someone needs to start a business. Also, if there's no courier scene. Who competes in the alleycat?

Old 10-20-11, 02:12 PM
jimmytango
Hi, I'm Bryan.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ianjk

Oh. Right.
Old 10-20-11, 02:22 PM
seau grateau

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 194 Posts
Mostly on topic: Alleycat in Philadelphia this weekend, sponsored by RELoad bags and Bicycle Revolutions, among others. Custom bags and other schwag for top finishers (over $1k worth of prizes to be had!).

https://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=221756527884714

See also Rides and Races subforum. Start "training".
Old 10-20-11, 02:53 PM
FunkyStickman
On a Mission from God

Bikes: '10 Surly LHT, Rat-rod Klunker, '82 Peugeot PH12 Centennial

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
They just started doing alleycats in Houma, LA.... no bike messengers there that I know of, but heck, I like the idea. Commuters would rock at this, too. These are run by a guy who used to ride in N.O. so I'm sure they know how to have a good time.
Old 10-20-11, 03:01 PM
max5480
Rhythm is rhythm

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
this is a funny thread
but in all seriousness, there are only two things you need to know to compete in and win an alleycat:
1. run every red light you see, and
2. piss as many people off as you can
Old 10-20-11, 06:11 PM
91MF
i'll probably break it

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
forreals tho i think its just how many tallboys can you drunk while riding no-handed? that guy is the winner.
Old 10-21-11, 12:09 AM
nicoth

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 91MF
forreals tho i think its just how many tallboys can you drunk while riding no-handed? that guy is the winner.
Exactly. The whole point of the alleycat is that you don't have to train for it or wake up before noon. Have you tried training? It's not fun.
Old 10-21-11, 01:54 AM
max5480
Rhythm is rhythm

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by 91MF
Originally Posted by nicoth
Exactly. The whole point of the alleycat is that you don't have to train for it or wake up before noon. Have you tried training? It's not fun.
hahaha you guys are *******
but badass
Old 10-22-11, 02:33 AM
pkpyro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1 to most original posters.

Know the city inside out flipped upside down. If the organizer lets you know of the checkpoints ahead of time (probs not) ride through those points.

Take the short cuts, and do anything necessary if you really want to win. Running traffic lights, stop signs, and ignoring one-way streets can get you out of the race... into a hospital. Make sure you know your stuff if you attempt any of those; you are responsible for your actions!

Cruise around in the general area the race is held and consider how checkpoints will be handled. Will it be a person handing out ribbons on the sidewalk, do you have to walk up anywhere, which way of getting to a street will allow me to flow with the traffic to the next checkpoint?

Also, what most people forget is that constant movement is not ALWAYS a good thing. Most of the time it is, but if say you pull up and stop at a stop light and a guy turns right, but the checkpoint is one block due ahead, the other guy's wasting his time and energy. It might be better to wait out the light (which is why you've got to make sure you know the city. If the light's a 5 min light, you're screwed) instead. Smarter, safer, saves energy.
Old 10-01-20, 06:44 AM
elucz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Alleykitten 2020

Strategize your route / locations before you go full send.
Don't spend too much time on one checkpoint.

PS. And if you're participating in evelina's alleykitten2020,there are some clifbars in the alley to the west of Good Neighbour with MGCC stickers on them
Bring one back to the finishline (10 points if its full, 5 points if you only bring back the wrapper)
Old 10-01-20, 10:18 AM
Philasteve

Bikes: Surly CreamRoller. 98 Giant Rincon. SE UVT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by elucz
Strategize your route / locations before you go full send.
Don't spend too much time on one checkpoint.

PS. And if you're participating in evelina's alleykitten2020,there are some clifbars in the alley to the west of Good Neighbour with MGCC stickers on them
Bring one back to the finishline (10 points if its full, 5 points if you only bring back the wrapper)
I think the advice is about 9 years too late.
Old 10-01-20, 11:04 AM
seau grateau

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 194 Posts
This thread is vintage A+ good ****.