Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Professional Cycling For the Fans
Reload this Page >

fantasy giro 2020 + general giro discussion

Notices
Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...

Old 09-30-20, 11:55 AM
diphthong

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1619 Post(s)
Liked 3,087 Times in 1,670 Posts

it’s weird, but the 2nd grand tour of this year is actually the giro. perhaps the weather will be different for the race vs the rain and cold that usually seems to shape a few stages. there are a few riders carrying over from the tour de france but not many...and a few that we last saw in the dauphiné that have been lying in wait.

https://www.velogames.com/italy/2020/

league name: bike forums

league code: try 907776411. if you’ve entered any of the fantasy games here this year, your team should be automatically entered into the league.

the entry deadline is 13:00 cest (central european summer time) saturday, october 3rd, 2020.

flobikes may be announcing a fantasy giro 2020 game like the tdf one. they did one last year but i haven’t seen one for 2020 yet. if/when it happens, i’ll edit this first post with the details.

Last edited by diphthong; 09-30-20 at 12:16 PM.
Old 10-01-20, 12:42 AM
diphthong

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

my giro team is absolutely the weirdest one i've fielded-ever. bizarro but embracing the 2020 vibe.
Old 10-01-20, 07:03 AM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

Bikes: Cross-Check/Nexus commuter. Several others for various forms of play.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked 576 Times in 445 Posts
^ that's saying a lot. It will be a big unveil on Saturday.

Old 10-01-20, 09:59 AM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1491 Post(s)
Liked 1,071 Times in 633 Posts
I'm in. No DQ potential here (I actually prefer the dynamic of the Tissot Game, but as that isn't what we're doing here...)

No bomb-throwers on my team (the boycott continues).
Old 10-01-20, 10:11 AM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

^ Dude, it's dynamic AF over in the VG Superclassico and Classics Squad games. And not too crowded. Or DQ friendly. Still plenty of time to catch up (like I'm doing in the Superclassico).
Old 10-01-20, 01:19 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1491 Post(s)
Liked 1,071 Times in 633 Posts
Originally Posted by slcbob
^ Dude, it's dynamic AF over in the VG Superclassico and Classics Squad games. And not too crowded. Or DQ friendly. Still plenty of time to catch up (like I'm doing in the Superclassico).

Thanks. Will take a look. Is there a league I should look for?
Old 10-01-20, 02:23 PM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 609 Times in 458 Posts
EF gettin' wild AF

Yes I've added Lawson Craddock. That's Simon Clark pictured. 'Murica. London I guess is where palace is based? Idfk

Also Woodsie isn't riding in the Giro what's up with that?

Last edited by GrainBrain; 10-02-20 at 08:05 AM.
Likes For GrainBrain:
Old 10-01-20, 07:53 PM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

Originally Posted by USAZorro
Thanks. Will take a look. Is there a league I should look for?
Speaking of searching what to search for, it's all in ooga-booga's classics thread. Toward the end for the new classic squad. But once you join any BF league with any team (e.g. the Giro), it should link up all of them for all the games.
Old 10-02-20, 01:51 AM
diphthong

so came across this late tonight, looks interesting but overly busy. still holding out hope flobikes will drop their giro game tomorrow/friday. if they don't, may annex this:

https://cyclingtips.com/2020-giro-fantasy-competition/

looks like you can enter it either by picking one rider every stage (can only pick a rider once the whole race tho so 21 different riders chosen)
or entering a team of 8 with the ability to make changes at the end of the first week and the second week. more intrigued by the first option.

Last edited by diphthong; 10-02-20 at 02:10 AM.
Old 10-02-20, 04:41 AM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

This is another option. Fairly simple. Choose wisely.
https://www.procyclingstats.com/game.php
Old 10-02-20, 09:24 AM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

OK, I'm not touching my "Italy 2020" team again. Really. Wholesale changes just now, and I think I even managed to bump the freak factor up a bit because ooga-booga laid down the principle.

It's really bugging me that I can't go in and update the other two games for la Doyenne yet. I shall have to return on Saturday. I dare not return today. See line above.

On that PCS game I linked to in the post above, it is really easy. Just ignore the blurb about GC. That was throwing me off, but after parsing the rules and looking for a GC pick option, all I can figure is that they track the PCS GC for the Giro by adding up all the stage results. You don't pick for GC places or points or jerseys or anything. Just pick 2-5 riders per stage for stage placing and slap some stars on them.

So that's four games I'm in. +/- maybe two more depending on our fearless leader. October is going to be busy.
Old 10-02-20, 10:25 AM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 554 Times in 321 Posts
Winner Winner
Old 10-02-20, 11:57 AM
diphthong

decided to solely go with the steady eddie of velogames.com for the giro to keep it simple...especially in a compressed season where every day brings the potential
of race cancellations.

thought i dialed down the freak factor and put some lipstick and body glitter on the selected team so as to better fit in with the others...but i may have amplified things.

i'll take the persona non grata tdf castaway geraint thomas for the stage one tt.

if someone else wants to run one of the other games for extra juice, have at it and feel free to post details/results/potshots in this thread.

Last edited by diphthong; 10-02-20 at 01:29 PM.
Old 10-02-20, 01:38 PM
diphthong

Originally Posted by USAZorro
I'm in. No DQ potential here (I actually prefer the dynamic of the Tissot Game, but as that isn't what we're doing here...)

No bomb-throwers on my team (the boycott continues).
i liked a lot of aspects of the flobikes tissot game as well. the graphics were pretty slick and once you got the hang of the various tabs/menus, it was relatively
quick to navigate. was hoping that flobikes would be doing a giro (they did last year) and a vuelta game in a similar format. plan was to be able to change captains
any stage for the giro and transfers/changes galore for the vuelta to give each gt a little more flavor. oh well. i'll look for flobikes to do a vuelta game here soon enough
(but w/o a giro game, i see it as highly unlikely) and look to next year's giro, then tdf if things settle back down into some semblance of normalacy.
Old 10-02-20, 04:40 PM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

It's totally ridiculous that Flo has the RCS contract and will be broadcasting the Giro in both USA and Canada, but isn't doing the fantasy league.

All I can figure is that the real player is Tissot, they're in bed with ASO, RCS won't touch them with a 39 1/2 foot pole, and Flo doesn't have/want the capability to do anything but throw a few bucks at Tissot to white label their game.

For now, I'm in on this one and will compete against the general population.

I tried setting up a Bike Forums league. It seems to exist but is hard to find. There's not a nifty code like we're used to. It wants me to send invitations to emails. Ha ha ha. Maybe this helps, maybe not:
https://www.procyclingstats.com/leag...d=1498&s=start
Likes For slcbob:
Old 10-03-20, 01:57 AM
diphthong

It's totally ridiculous that Flo has the RCS contract and will be broadcasting the Giro in both USA and Canada, but isn't doing the fantasy league.

All I can figure is that the real player is Tissot, they're in bed with ASO, RCS won't touch them with a 39 1/2 foot pole, and Flo doesn't have/want the capability to do anything but throw a few bucks at Tissot to white label their game.

For now, I'm in on this one and will compete against the general population.

I tried setting up a Bike Forums league. It seems to exist but is hard to find. There's not a nifty code like we're used to. It wants me to send invitations to emails. Ha ha ha. Maybe this helps, maybe not:
https://www.procyclingstats.com/leag...d=1498&s=start

joined but i think you as the administrator have to accept or deny my request to join the bike forums league. oh the delicious, chocolate-covered irony...
Old 10-03-20, 03:55 AM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

^ Done. What a hassle. And it was not something I would have seen had you not alerted me to watch out where the huskies go.

Back when dinosaurs were still walking the earth, I'm pretty sure... no wait, that's hyperbole, but back when we still called some of them brontosauruses and Pluto was a planet and there were Twinkies, I'm pretty sure I set up a league or two and put the code out. But I lost a step, and you did it better, and a star was born. Like the Ryan Seacrest of BFVG.

And now that star is urinating in the snow drift. All in on Kruijwjicjkj, I assume? Views are still locked. Could be a good call. Vive la (s)pokes.
Likes For slcbob:
Old 10-03-20, 04:01 AM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

P.S. look at this cool feature.

Likes For slcbob:
Old 10-03-20, 04:07 AM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

Originally Posted by Flip Flop Rider
Winner Winner
We'll see in Rome!

I'm going with Ganna for pink. Or maybe Campanaerts. Or Dowsett. No, Ganna. G in 4th again but this time his Garmin will tell him so and help him stay in front of Bling.
Old 10-03-20, 04:44 AM
diphthong

P.S. look at this cool feature.

now i know why you pimped this game...not exactly intuitive but imma trying it. expecting pre-dawn knocks on the front door at any moment...

Last edited by diphthong; 10-03-20 at 04:51 AM.
Old 10-03-20, 04:48 AM
diphthong

major renovations to the giro home...i can live with it now. biggest regret...? not being able to draft vlasov (whom i think will kill it in the last week)
because of my uncommonly lucky, pasta successes in the antipasta.

Last edited by diphthong; 10-03-20 at 04:52 AM.
Old 10-03-20, 04:58 AM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 609 Times in 458 Posts
I just "transferred" out Alex Howes for Rosetto, they switched out Howes for l-b-l and I didn't catch it. I think this isn't against the rules since we haven't started racing as of just now. Won't touch the team even if anyone withdraws. Not like I'm swapping any of my team for Ganna whom I snubbed from my team and now I'm staring at the WC and his bike with a 60-11 top gear and a downhill course and little beads of sweat are starting to form on my brow alá that doctor in Total Recall...

Large group in for the Giro in the BF league, a sign of 2020's craziness. I'm thinking the mighty Rohan makes a podium appearance.
Likes For GrainBrain:
Old 10-03-20, 05:01 AM
diphthong

^ Done. What a hassle. And it was not something I would have seen had you not alerted me to watch out where the huskies go.

Back when dinosaurs were still walking the earth, I'm pretty sure... no wait, that's hyperbole, but back when we still called some of them brontosauruses and Pluto was a planet and there were Twinkies, I'm pretty sure I set up a league or two and put the code out. But I lost a step, and you did it better, and a star was born. Like the Ryan Seacrest of BFVG.

And now that star is urinating in the snow drift. All in on Kruijwjicjkj, I assume? Views are still locked. Could be a good call. Vive la (s)pokes.
it's probably been two solid decades + since i had a twinkie...but not gonna deny crushing an entire box of ding-dongs on a rare occasion since then. fried food, beer and bbq are my vices now.
i'll either live to ring the bell on a c-note or not answer the morning bell tomorrow. all or nothing. just like my heroes: cuddles, tejay, talansky, friere and menchov.
Likes For diphthong:
Old 10-03-20, 05:08 AM
diphthong

Originally Posted by GrainBrain
I just "transferred" out Alex Howes for Rosetto, they switched out Howes for l-b-l and I didn't catch it. I think this isn't against the rules since we haven't started racing as of just now. Won't touch the team even if anyone withdraws. Not like I'm swapping any of my team for Ganna whom I snubbed from my team and now I'm staring at the WC and his bike with a 60-11 top gear and a downhill course and little beads of sweat are starting to form on my brow alá that doctor in Total Recall...

Large group in for the Giro in the BF league, a sign of 2020's craziness. I'm thinking the mighty Rohan makes a podium appearance.
unexpectedly so and it wasn't because of my easily dismissed attempts at snappy patter, longstanding false promises and hard sales job as usual. maybe we all just wanna lose ourselves a little
bit more than we have in the past. i usually try to (not falsely or undeservedly) promote the next gt but just wanted to get the vehicle down and whomever was attracted/repelled, so be it.
repelled fewer than normal. lame #winning?

dennis is on my slcbob approved and updated "dead to me" list. had him on the team and then said "i'll win or lose (um...lose) without his shenanigans." he's been lying low. waay low.
said wanker could definitely finish in the top eight on gc and possibly hijack the bronze...

Last edited by diphthong; 10-03-20 at 05:17 AM.
Likes For diphthong:
Old 10-03-20, 05:23 AM
diphthong

it's right about that time people...something about fur trappers, igloos and pouncing and pouncing again....

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.