Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Floor pumps....should we have to fix those, too?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Floor pumps....should we have to fix those, too?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-20, 08:24 PM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 1,451 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
You convinced me. Bought the one 67tony showed. NOS. Picking it up tomorrow afternoon.
Welcome to the Top Super club
Yours has the same color scheme as mine. Neato!
I hope you like it as much as we Meidai loyalists do.

Here's a link on how to calibrate the pressure gauge, along with other general maintenance tidbits:
https://thechainlink.org/forum/topic...love-it?page=2

They also show a Silca air chuck for presta that may be more appropriate for pressures above 110psi than the SKS one I use. Or, as I said, put on whatever presta head you prefer. The presta head is a matter of personal preference.

Of note, I also have a Meidai "Baby" folding pump that straps across the forks of my Honda CB350. And another "Baby" in my desk drawer at work. I'm a bit of a fanatic.

Last edited by scarlson; 10-01-20 at 09:19 PM.
Old 10-01-20, 09:09 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
They also show a Silca air chuck for presta that may be more appropriate for pressures above 110psi than the SKS one I use. Or, as I said, put on whatever presta head you prefer. The presta head is a matter of personal preference
I rummaged through some old toolboxes.
Found a Silca thread-on Presta head, brass. 3-barb connector.
Found a two-opening head (Presta and Shrader) attached to a short length of hose.
I also have the new "smart" head that Topeak sent, hoping that was the problem. (good customer service).

Picking up the Meidai this afternoon, NOS in original box, but has some pitting on the chrome collar around the guage.
I'm sure I can live with that. That will be here in St. Louie.

I have a Lezyne on the way, the CNC Floor model, so that will be in Indiana.

I had a flat tubular last weekend, so today I put some Teflon tape on the extender and core, pumped it up with the Bontrager. 7 strokes, 0 to 101.2. Once the Lezyne and the Meidai are in my mitts, I'll compare and then decide if I want a refund on the Bontrager or an exchange with one that has the gauge cluster on right side up. With 3 sets of tubeless, I want to be able to set the beads. My HED Ardennes are 23mm wide rims and I'll be running 700x28 GP5000 TL's. From what I understand, you need a pretty decent blast to get that bead set.

I appreciate the heads up by 67tony , the advice from all. I took speedevil 's and scarlson 's advice for Lezyne and Meidai. I already had the Bontrager, but GMS having one made a big difference, as I've known him for years. That may be what keeps the Bontrager around: Greg's endorsement and having tubeless tires. Greg wouldn't switch to tubeless unless he spent plenty of time on the pro's and con's, and I trust his word on both the tires and the pump.

Last edited by RobbieTunes; 10-02-20 at 01:38 PM.
Likes For RobbieTunes:
Old 10-01-20, 10:43 PM
Nemosengineer 

Bikes: Teledyne Titan, Bob Jackson Audax Club, Bob Jackson World Tour, AlAn Record Ergal, 3Rensho Katana.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 623 Times in 245 Posts
I am a big fan of the SKS Rennkompressor, seriously old school being built of steel, cast iron, wood and leather. I can't leave anything alone, the factory gage was really hard to read so I fixed that and I just kept modifying the pump from that point on, it's really fun to use.

20200104_134943 by nemosengineer, on Flickr

20160505_185437 by nemosengineer, on Flickr

: Mike
Old 10-02-20, 07:45 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Originally Posted by Nemosengineer
I am a big fan of the SKS Rennkompressor, seriously old school being built of steel, cast iron, wood and leather. I can't leave anything alone, the factory gage was really hard to read so I fixed that and I just kept modifying the pump from that point on, it's really fun to use.
One short step away from steampump.
I'd expect nothing less from a submariner. I'm surprised it's not nuclear.
Likes For RobbieTunes:
Old 10-02-20, 11:42 AM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 1,451 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by Nemosengineer

20200104_134943 by nemosengineer, on Flickr

20160505_185437 by nemosengineer, on Flickr

What presta head is that, with the lever lock? Does it work well?
Old 10-02-20, 12:58 PM
treebound 
aka: Mike J.

Bikes: 1995 Trek 520 is the current primary bike.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 39 Posts
I’ve been in a reduction mode for awhile now, I believe I currently have more floor pumps than bicycles. 🤷🏻‍♂️😬🚴🏻‍♂️

I have several that I intend to clean and lube and make functional again including Silva and Lezyne. My main floor pump in the garage is usually a Joe Blow (not sure what model), and in the car I usually have one from Serfas that works well (even pumped up a slowly leaking car tire once to get me the rest of the way to a tire shop). I have a couple stashed away that I intend to cannibalize and combine into one good one (one has a bad body, one has a bad line, one has a good pump head).

I’m sorry, what was the question again?
Old 10-02-20, 01:13 PM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
A quick review of the Hirame Yoko pump head.

Mine did not come with directions. Or maybe it did, but it was in Japanese? I can't recall. At any rate, it's pretty simple to use. Just slap it over the valve and squeeze the lever to tighten the chuck. Pump it up. Unlike with Silca track pumps, there's no need to rotate the valve to the floor so that it faces up.

The barrel of the chuck adjusts the tightness of the rubber washer/seal, and therefore the lever which squeezes it. It all remains kind of comically loose. It seems like it's wrong or broken, but it works great and holds its adjustment. If you do need to change it, it's super easy.

Compared to a stock SKS head it's 10x easier to use. The SKS heads are kind of stiff, and when the lever is released, it would always slam my thumb. On the plus side they come free with the pump and supposedly work with both schrader and presta valves. I don't have schraders to try. That's probably why it feels stiff. They do work fine, until you try the fancy Japanese heads, and realize what a good pump head is.

Last edited by Salamandrine; 10-02-20 at 01:16 PM.
Likes For Salamandrine:
Old 10-02-20, 02:19 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

I now know more than I ever wanted to about floor pumps.
I’m beginning to realize floor pumps are like tubulars; it’s not about the air.

The position needed to read it while filling a tire is,...intimate.

Not a small pump.

UPDATE: The Trek store managed to find another one, so I swapped out for one with the gauge right side up. I think they’re going to use it in the repair dept.

Last edited by RobbieTunes; 10-03-20 at 05:13 PM. Reason: Trek store came through.
Old 10-05-20, 09:53 AM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked 1,023 Times in 665 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Mule
I have a plastic bodied Zefal for about 20 years. My plan was not for this to be my go to pump. I got it at WalMart. But it works. I tried to remove the piston to re-grease it but the fitting on top is not threaded. The foot "ears" are small and also plastic so it doesn't have that solid feel. The handle is small and I really can only get one hand on it. The gauge is small but I can see it when I pump. I almost wish I had a problem with it so I can justify picking up a well used Silca Pista or something like it. It continues to work and I continue to use it despite it's shortcomings.
I was finally able to get a picture of the Zefal floor pump.

Old 10-05-20, 11:18 AM
wle

Bikes: road: 1999 GT road:40Kmi+ // 2001 fuji finest AL:9Kmi+//1991 schwinn paramount ODG:0.1Kmi+

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
zefal
cannondale
lezyne
pedro's
Old 10-05-20, 12:34 PM
capt_velo

Bikes: 1988 Gitane Team Replica, 2022 Trek Top Fuel 9.8

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by cb400bill
I have a black Lezyne that threads on, has a nice large accurate gauge, and a wooden handle. It was about $60 or $70. Never serviced it.
I have a Lezyne too. I really like it, but I'm on my third pressure gauge. the good news is that the parts are available and not too expensive.
Old 10-05-20, 12:38 PM
capt_velo

Bikes: 1988 Gitane Team Replica, 2022 Trek Top Fuel 9.8

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Salamandrine
A quick review of the Hirame Yoko pump head.
It looks really cool, but it costs almost as much as my pump did!
Old 10-05-20, 01:39 PM
AlanAZ
Boomerbikes

Bikes: Novara Method

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Same experiences with pumps (not with stores)....

Take a look at this on Amazon. Can't post the url.
It works and cost (after the coupon) is less than the Joe Blow's we've both used.
Oasser Air Compressor Portable Mini Air Inflator Hand Held Tire Pump 2000mAh with Digital LCD LED Light 12V AC DC Lithium Battery 120PSI
Good luck...
Old 10-05-20, 03:06 PM
dkatz1

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
I have a cheap $9.99 pump from Harbor Freight. Difficult, no Presta, but it attaches/releases the Shrader/Presta adapter cleanly, and gets to the psi I need. I sort of hate it.
My lady has a nashbar pump that is at least 20 years old. It's never been serviced. It works fine, but the gauge is small and scarred and faded and difficult to see.

My main pump was a Topeak Joe Blow Pro. I thought it was great, until it needed servicing about 2 years ago. Now it stops at 80 psi.
Topeak doesn't service it any longer, but sent me a new head and O-ring, just in case the recent failure was the head or O-ring.
Turns out, the fitting on the pump body failed (leaked). It's about 7 years old. That sort of rules out Topeak.

To the Trek store (which was barren, by the way, two employees, maybe 10 bikes, no ability to browse with COVID),
despite vowing to never patronize Trek or Bontrager again. I'm a convenience *****. I say "I need a pump." They have 4 cheapo's and the Flash TLR.
I also pick up carbon rim brake pads--cork. (turns out they're howlers.)
I take the Flash TLR floor pump, able to inflate tubeless, etc with the charged cylinder. Digital readout. Accurate. Poor base, though.
I figure OK, now that I have 3 sets of tubeless wheels, maybe I can use this. I mistakenly figure price also equals quality.
Got it home, got it hooked up....the digital display is upside down.
I kid you not. In order to read it, I'd need to have eyes under my ass.
You'd think with my head up there, that'd be easy, but not for pumping tires.

Pump display is upside down. Back to the store.
"We don't have any more pumps."
"We don't have any other brake pads."
Whoopee. COVID?

No Topeak due to their inability to make a long-lasting pump.
No Bontrager since they apparently don't know up from down.
No Specialized.... I like the police.
The Harbor Freight model is a stroke-inducer above 60 psi.
My lady won't let her nashbar pump out of her sight.
I had a second-hand Silca that I'm now sure I should have held onto.
speedevil has a Lezyne that has a great angled head (thread-on).

What are folks using and why?

Is it normal to have to service your floor pump?
Well, I don't think seven years for a pump that you use all the time is so bad...I had a joe blow once, it cost around $50....come to think of it, I still have it, and it still works....but I don't much use it anymore (its' at least fifteen years old, and when I was using it, it was e or 4 times a week)....Do you think you should be able to buy a pump and it last for the rest of your life?
I have a heavy duty speciallized, and it's great. The meter is much easier to read, and it actually puts out more air, I think.
Old 10-05-20, 03:11 PM
dkatz1

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 63 Posts
Seems to me it's time you see what you can buy online, at man online bike places, amazon, ebay..
Old 10-05-20, 03:24 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Originally Posted by dkatz1
Well, I don't think seven years for a pump that you use all the time is so bad...
I had a Joe Blow (fify) once, it cost around $50....come to think of it, I still have it, and it still works....but I don't much use it anymore
(its' at least fifteen years old, and when I was using it, it was e or 4 times a week).
OK, so that's what you don't think.
Let's see, you don't think 7 years to fail is so bad, but your Joe Blow is at least 15 years old. Let's trade, even up.
The design is such it can't be serviced, and Topeak won't service it, anyway. It was a Joe Blow Pro, all chrome and costly.

Do you think you should be able to buy a pump and it last for the rest of your life?
Please show me where I wrote anything approaching that. You're ready for the press corps.

I have a heavy duty Speciallized (fify) and it's great. The meter is much easier to read, and it actually puts out more air, I think.
If I were to erroneously infer things, I'd ask "Do you think you need a spare pump because your 15-year old Joe Blow may fail?

I'm glad your Joe Blow works after 15 years. I wish mine did.
I'm glad you like your Specialized is great. Not an option for me.
I picked up a Meidai, and it will be great once I change the hose (too short) and head (Shrader only).
I also picked up a Lezyne, and it's been delivered, though I've not seen it. By all accounts, it should be great.
My 9.99 Harbor Freight pump is a real bear to use, and will be my backup. I may swap the head to the one that was on my Topeak.
My lady's 23-year old nashbar is our main one here and she only trusts that one. I have a spare head for it, and maybe I'll try to clean up that blurry gauge.
Since the Trek store swapped out the Bontrager Flash TLR, I'm good for tubeless, and it should last a while.

Now, if I can just quit having flats. On tubulars.
My 40-mile front tire (Zipp Tangente) has decided it's now only good for 20 miles, so it's outa here.
Bad valve, maybe. Too much torque on the valve extenders and cores, just as likely.

Last edited by RobbieTunes; 10-05-20 at 03:30 PM.
Old 10-05-20, 05:51 PM
altondavis2

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Yep, 7 years ago I walked into the local Performance Bike store. The midrange house brand $39 floor pump was on sale for $25. That same pump is still being used and seems to work just fine. I share it when I go on my 3 weekly group rides. Really like it because it has a universal head on it that can service Shraeder or Presta valves. Naturally this pump is no longer available.
Old 10-06-20, 06:46 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Prior to a couple of weeks ago, we had a working 20+ year old nashbar in St. Louis, a backup Harbor Fright pump there, and a smooth Topeak Joe Blow Pro in Indiana. I had a Silca Pista until a couple of years ago, when I gave it away....

Now, one Topeak failure and $308 later, I hope the dust has settled.

In St. Louis: the working 20+year old nashbar (that I suspect is a Meidai), the Bontrager Flash TLR, and the backup Harbor Fright thing.
The Bontrager is not your normal pump. It's huge, it's heavy, and it's easy to use. It needs to be. $130
Big digital gauge on the models that have it right side up. Blast option for tubeless. Our "home" pump for sure.

The nashbar is our traveler and in-a-hurry pump. You grab it, use it, move on. It works. It travels.

The Harbor Freight pump-shaped object will work in a bind. You'd better have some arm strength.
Destined for the storage unit where I now do some wrenching. $10 and fairly amazing for that price.

In Indiana: a Meidai Super Top (NOS) and a Lezyne CNC Floor Machine.
The Meidai is sort of old-school. It rattles, it's "loose," and has a single-foot base. The gauge is hard to read. It has "character."
It sort of reminds me of the Silca, but with a guage, perhaps it's a copy of some sorts. it's nicely done and says "80's" in a subtle way.
I think the braided hose is 16" but that's pushing it. The head is metal Shrader-only. Both easily remedied. $78

The Lezyne is a beauty. Hee-uuuge gauge. Pretty machined parts. Great base, solid braided hose. Smooth throw, goes to 220 psi.
A winner in the "normal" pump category, and would have given my Topeak Joe Blow Pro a run for the money. $100

So ends the saga, at least in RobbieTuneLand.

Last edited by RobbieTunes; 10-07-20 at 09:51 AM.
Old 10-06-20, 07:06 PM
iab

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Quoted: 3015 Post(s)
Liked 3,804 Times in 1,408 Posts
btw, what the hell**********?

So I have this pump, (the dreaded Specialized pump), about 16 years, maybe a bit more. Never had a thought about it. Been pumping away for years, like a champ. Robbie starts this thread with some comment about maintenance. I do some snarky reply - Maintenance? Who does pump maintenance? ...yada, yada, yada...

After all this time, I should know better. Nobody ****s with the cycling gods. Pump was making a new clicking noise this morning. I'm sure it will be crap by the weekend.
Likes For iab:
Old 10-07-20, 04:06 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Originally Posted by iab
btw, what the hell**********?

So I have this pump, (the dreaded Specialized pump), about 16 years, maybe a bit more. Never had a thought about it. Been pumping away for years, like a champ. Robbie starts this thread with some comment about maintenance. I do some snarky reply - Maintenance? Who does pump maintenance? ...yada, yada, yada...

After all this time, I should know better. Nobody ****s with the cycling gods. Pump was making a new clicking noise this morning. I'm sure it will be crap by the weekend.
Somewhere, somehow, pump sellers just got the juju on us.
That they lumped you in with me, well, that's an issue for concern.

Last edited by RobbieTunes; 10-07-20 at 09:53 AM.
Old 10-07-20, 11:18 AM
Vintage_Cyclist

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 176 Posts
Originally Posted by texaspandj
I've got a zefal husky I bought in '86. It has a wooden handle, pumps up to 230 psi (which is important to me because my race tubulars are 160 psi), it's reliable and repairable/rebuild-able. I don't think they make it anymore however the sks germany website has a kompresser model that is almost identical. If I had to gete me another floor pump I'd get it and pretty sure that's the last one I'd need.
I have that same pump, in use since the early 80s. I've read on another pump thread that the Zefal was actually a rebranded SKS Rennkompressor.

It certainly looks the same and the gauge says 'Made in West Germany'. Still works like a charm after almost 40 years.

If I ever feel the need to get a new pump, I'll get the SKS.

My prehistoric Zefal

Vintage SKS from the web

Old 10-07-20, 12:14 PM
texaspandj

Bikes: '85, '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked 583 Times in 380 Posts
Originally Posted by Vintage_Cyclist
I have that same pump, in use since the early 80s. I've read on another pump thread that the Zefal was actually a rebranded SKS Rennkompressor.

It certainly looks the same and the gauge says 'Made in West Germany'. Still works like a charm after almost 40 years.

If I ever feel the need to get a new pump, I'll get the SKS.

My prehistoric Zefal

Vintage SKS from the web

The hose cracked so chopped it off and put a presta chuck and hose clamp and just kept on going. Around that time I overhauled it and it's going on its 35th year. One of theses days I'm gonna order another hose from sks...but it'll probably be when this cracks again.
Old 10-07-20, 03:54 PM
Spaghetti Legs 

Bikes: Numerous

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Quoted: 1678 Post(s)
Liked 3,098 Times in 914 Posts
Just saw this thread. I’ve been wanting to vent about my Silca for a while. I have a Pista just like the one pictured in SJX426 post on page one. It’s aluminum barrel, aluminum chuck, with the triangular base. I got it NOS off eBay, which might be part, if not all of the problem. Anyway, worked great for about 1-2 years and then started a slow death. The check valve failed (handle would rise up when you take your hand off), pressure gauge became wildly inaccurate, causing a couple of tire cut blowouts before I realized it. I replaced the check valve, the leather cup, some o-rings, which got it functional, but the gauge is now completely dead. The manifold on this one looks to be aluminum, instead of what I think is brass on the old ones. Anyway I figure thousands of satisfied customers can’t be wrong but mine really sucks. I really like the “action” on it. I got a Lezyne steel barrel pump which is good, but I’m not a huge fan of the thread on chuck. I’m going to keep an eye out for an old Silca
N = '96 Colnago C40, '04 Wilier Alpe D'Huez, '10 Colnago EPS, '85 Merckx Pro, '89 Merckx Century, '86 Tommasini Professional, '04 Teschner Aero FX Pro, '05 Alan Carbon Cross, '86 De Rosa Professional, '82 Colnago Super, '95 Gios Compact Pro, '95 Carrera Zeus, '84 Basso Gap, ‘89 Cinelli Supercorsa, ‘83 Bianchi Specialissima, ‘VO Randonneur, Ritchey Breakaway Steel, '84 Paletti Super Prestige, Heron Randonneur

Old 10-07-20, 04:21 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1303 Post(s)
Liked 1,911 Times in 1,141 Posts
Legs,
You are in luck again! Look no further than in MH's pay it forward shop. As always you are gonna pay shipping and getting it to you. Shouldn't be to much though...

I think it has new pump leathers, but they are still around through Indy. Original pump head chuck of Brass and rubber.

slight crack in plastic cover, but still working. Aluminum foot peg.
I think it could use a couple of pex clamps to secure the hoses as the old steel clamps are missing. PM if needed/wanted. smiles, MH
Old 10-07-20, 05:17 PM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
I use Park floor pumps, cause I can get them locally. They tend to last ten years or so, and I get a new obe when needed. Zefal HPX, only, on the frame.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.