Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Schwinn Voyageur as a Single Speed Frame?

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-20, 12:56 PM
johnbobey

Bikes: 2023 All-City Space Horse

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 10 Posts

Hello! I normally spend time in the C&V area, where I was advised this frame may not be the best platform for a randonneuring project. I know it's hi-ten steel, but the look is pretty minimal and the chrome is a head-turner. I had an old full-chrome Panasonic single 10 years ago, and regret selling it to this day. Perhaps this is a chance at a fresh start? Thoughts? (If I don't go this route, I'm probably heading down the Soma Rush/Wabi Classic/KiloTT Pro path.)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/vintage-sch...53.m1438.l2649
Old 10-01-20, 04:31 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
The 1981 model was available in chrome. I believe all the old Voyageurs were chromoly, either Columbus or Tange.

Last edited by Rolla; 10-01-20 at 07:23 PM.
Old 10-01-20, 04:36 PM
acoustophile

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 59 Posts
I love turning old frames like that into chill single speeds. Throw some 28c gumwall tires, moustache/cruiser bars, brooks saddle, small (front or back) rack and full fenders and ride off into the sun (or grocery store).
Likes For acoustophile:
Old 10-02-20, 06:08 AM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
The frame is way better than I think you are giving it credit for. First, it is likely 4130 CroMO and it was made in Japan for Schwinn and the workmanship at that point in time was excellent. The bike retailed for somewhere around $430.00 in 1981, making it one of the most expensive Schwinn's under the Paramount and the Super Sport. The lower end Schwinn's were in the $150.00 range.

I collect vintage bikes and I know that if that frame is in good condition it will handle most anything you can throw at it.
Likes For TugaDude:
Old 10-02-20, 08:16 AM
rustystrings61 

Bikes: 2002 Mercian Vincitore, 1982 Mercian Colorado, 1976 Puch Royal X, 1973 Raleigh Competition, 1971 Gitane Tour de France and others

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 823 Post(s)
Liked 1,395 Times in 694 Posts
While you could make a decent single-speed out of it, I would look for something else. No matter how cool it looks - and it DOES look cool - it's still going to be hampered by the oddball steerer tube diameter, which will severely limit your choice of stems. It's also getting pretty pricey, with shipping. Right now, combined with shipping it's more than I would pay for it, but that's just me.

Looking at this question AND your questions regarding rando bikes, I would steer you towards something British or French built with Reynolds 531 c.1960-1975 with a 120 mm rear spacing to convert to fixed or single-speed use. You could get comparable geometry to what you would ride brevets on and be more comfortable while you're at it. Something with a 72 or 73 degree seat angle and longer chainstays might suit your overall needs better. Don't these Voyageurs run 74 degrees with short top tubes?
Old 10-02-20, 09:57 AM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
Originally Posted by rustystrings61
While you could make a decent single-speed out of it, I would look for something else. No matter how cool it looks - and it DOES look cool - it's still going to be hampered by the oddball steerer tube diameter, which will severely limit your choice of stems. It's also getting pretty pricey, with shipping. Right now, combined with shipping it's more than I would pay for it, but that's just me.

Looking at this question AND your questions regarding rando bikes, I would steer you towards something British or French built with Reynolds 531 c.1960-1975 with a 120 mm rear spacing to convert to fixed or single-speed use. You could get comparable geometry to what you would ride brevets on and be more comfortable while you're at it. Something with a 72 or 73 degree seat angle and longer chainstays might suit your overall needs better. Don't these Voyageurs run 74 degrees with short top tubes?
If you look at the photos closely you'll notice it has a converter stem so you can use any threadless stem you want. French-built frames open up another can of worms when it comes to replacement parts and choices.
Old 10-02-20, 12:58 PM
rustystrings61 

Bikes: 2002 Mercian Vincitore, 1982 Mercian Colorado, 1976 Puch Royal X, 1973 Raleigh Competition, 1971 Gitane Tour de France and others

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 823 Post(s)
Liked 1,395 Times in 694 Posts
Originally Posted by TugaDude
If you look at the photos closely you'll notice it has a converter stem so you can use any threadless stem you want. French-built frames open up another can of worms when it comes to replacement parts and choices.
I see what you mean about the threadless converter. French parts are easier to come by than they were 20 years ago, though, and they're less of an issue than they once were, especially if one does a little research and learns tricks like opening up the top headset lock nut to allow the stem to pass through unobstructed into the steerer - amazing how well Nitto and other stems fit those 22.0 steerers! But I digress. I think whoever buys this Voyageur at its current (or higher) auction price will pay a premium for the pretty chrome. Which is fine if you like chrome, and who doesn't? So long as I don't have to keep it from rusting in the South, but that's not so much an issue for the OP, right?
Old 10-02-20, 03:53 PM
jay4usc
Live Healthy

Bikes: Wabi Classic

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by johnbobey
Hello! I normally spend time in the C&V area, where I was advised this frame may not be the best platform for a randonneuring project. I know it's hi-ten steel, but the look is pretty minimal and the chrome is a head-turner. I had an old full-chrome Panasonic single 10 years ago, and regret selling it to this day. Perhaps this is a chance at a fresh start? Thoughts? (If I don't go this route, I'm probably heading down the Soma Rush/Wabi Classic/KiloTT Pro path.)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/vintage-sch...53.m1438.l2649

have you seen the Fuji Feather?

Last edited by jay4usc; 10-02-20 at 03:57 PM.
Likes For jay4usc:
Old 10-02-20, 03:55 PM
johnbobey

Bikes: 2023 All-City Space Horse

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by jay4usc
have you seen the Fuji Feather?
I have-had a light blue one that I regret selling to this day. Can’t seem to one one in town...everybody’s sold out.
Old 10-02-20, 04:03 PM
jay4usc
Live Healthy

I have-had a light blue one that I regret selling to this day. Can’t seem to one one in town...everybody’s sold out.
keep an eye on eBay or Craigslist they pop up on occasions. There’s one for sale on eBay now buts a size 54cm. Fuji used to make single speed Urban Track model but 2019 was the last year they made them. I had the 2016 model and it was a very nice bike.
Likes For jay4usc:
Old 10-02-20, 04:12 PM
jay4usc
Live Healthy

below is a Fuji Single Speed Urban Track thats in stock. It looks like 2019 model.

https://www.bikesonwheels.com/products/fuji-track

Likes For jay4usc:
Old 10-07-20, 08:50 AM
abshipp 

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 2020 Holdsworth Competition, 2022 Giant Trance 29 3

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 3357 Post(s)
Liked 3,636 Times in 1,242 Posts
Auction is over, did you get it?

Originally Posted by rustystrings61
Don't these Voyageurs run 74 degrees with short top tubes?
Correct. My SLT is the exact same frame and has a 57cm top tube on the 64cm (25") size.

Looked at the 1981 catalog, it's listed as 73° parallel.

Last edited by abshipp; 10-07-20 at 08:53 AM.