Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

St-5700 ans RD 5700 not upshifting

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-20, 09:32 PM
Narhay

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 956 Post(s)
Liked 568 Times in 314 Posts

New build, cable and housings are new. Changed cable and housing and ferrules twice now, same issue. Aligned derailleur hanger. New chain, new cassette.

ST-5700 and RD-5700 are downshifting (to lower gear) mostly ok.

It takes 2 clicks for it to upshift to one higher gear and then indexes so-so one gear behind what it should be until it gets to the second highest gear. Pulling on the cable as if it were not letting enough tension out when it is fully upshifted but sitting in the second highest cog doesnt seem to help it onto the highest gear in case the cable was sticking or had excess friction. Only pushing on the derailleur body seems to allow it to go to the smallest cog. Tried a different RD and same issue. Cable guides look good, no friction. Let out limit screw all the way in case that was the issue but no. The derailleur still has some movement towards the dropout so it does have enough range.

I've indexed hundreds of rear derailleurs and I am at a loss for this one. I dont know.

Last edited by Narhay; 10-06-20 at 09:39 PM.
Old 10-06-20, 11:00 PM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Quoted: 1556 Post(s)
Liked 2,024 Times in 989 Posts
Am I correct to assume that you've adjusted cable tension at the rear derailleur to fine tune things? And that the cable routing out of the shifter is correct?

After tightening the cable at the RD, I will take the cable (running along the down tube) and pull it away from the down tube several times, with "intent" (but smoothly), so as to seat the cables and housings in their cable stops. Otherwise, it just takes forever to settle them and it give false "out of tune" readings even as it was in tune on the stand.
Old 10-06-20, 11:24 PM
mechanicmatt
Hoards Thumbshifters

Bikes: '23 Black Mtn MC, '87 Bruce Gordon Chinook, '08 Jamis Aurora, '86 Trek 560, '97 Mongoose Rockadile, & '91 Trek 750

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 192 Posts
Originally Posted by Narhay
New build, cable and housings are new. Changed cable and housing and ferrules twice now, same issue. Aligned derailleur hanger. New chain, new cassette.

ST-5700 and RD-5700 are downshifting (to lower gear) mostly ok.

It takes 2 clicks for it to upshift to one higher gear and then indexes so-so one gear behind what it should be until it gets to the second highest gear. Pulling on the cable as if it were not letting enough tension out when it is fully upshifted but sitting in the second highest cog doesnt seem to help it onto the highest gear in case the cable was sticking or had excess friction. Only pushing on the derailleur body seems to allow it to go to the smallest cog. Tried a different RD and same issue. Cable guides look good, no friction. Let out limit screw all the way in case that was the issue but no. The derailleur still has some movement towards the dropout so it does have enough range.

I've indexed hundreds of rear derailleurs and I am at a loss for this one. I dont know.
Does it feel like it is the shifter at all? If so hose it down with some electrical cleaner. Like dripping out of everywhere hose it. Then shift it around and hose it again. 8 out of 10 times it will work.

Sometimes, if the derailleur is well used the internal spring inside the parallelogram can lose its springness and either the spring or the derailleur needs to be replaced.
Old 10-06-20, 11:25 PM
mechanicmatt
Hoards Thumbshifters

Bikes: '23 Black Mtn MC, '87 Bruce Gordon Chinook, '08 Jamis Aurora, '86 Trek 560, '97 Mongoose Rockadile, & '91 Trek 750

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 192 Posts
Also oil the pivot areas with some TriFlow or whatever you like to use. It can help.
Old 10-06-20, 11:46 PM
bwilli88 
Not lost wanderer.

Bikes: In USA; 73 Raleigh Super Course dingle speed, 72 Raleigh Gran Sport SS, 72 Geoffry Butler, 81 Centurion Pro-Tour, 74 Gugie Grandier Sportier

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 885 Post(s)
Liked 990 Times in 522 Posts
Can you physically move the derailleur by hand up to the last/largest cog?
Old 10-07-20, 05:44 AM
Prowler 

Bikes: 2 Trek Mtn, Cannondale R600 road, 6 vintage road bikes

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 1,028 Times in 404 Posts
[QUOTE=RiddleOfSteel;21731995
After tightening the cable at the RD, I will take the cable (running along the down tube) and pull it away from the down tube several times, with "intent" (but smoothly), so as to seat the cables and housings in their cable stops. Otherwise, it just takes forever to settle them and it give false "out of tune" readings even as it was in tune on the stand.[/QUOTE]

Yes, do this. It also stretches the new cable nicely. This is one reason I dislike old, and brand new bikes, with full length housings. You cannot stretch the cables and seat the end caps.

Also, (I think you said you did I this) disconnect the cable and operate the RD by hand to ensure it moves freely and full range. Fundamental trouble shooting: separate a system into its component pieces, ensure each piece works properly then make the system more complex by putting them back together.

Be sure the hanger/RD is aligned properly, absolutely parallel to the cogs and rim. Index shifting is particularly sensitive to misalignment. I've effected many a "miracle cure" on indexed systems with a 5 minute hanger alignment adjustment.
Old 10-07-20, 05:50 AM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked 4,988 Times in 1,776 Posts
My bet is on gunked up grease in the shifter. Flush it out good (WD 40 or the like) and then relube with Triflow.
Old 10-07-20, 06:49 AM
Narhay

Thanks everyone. I will flush the shifter out today and see if that helps. Derailleur hanger is aligned, the derailleur cable tension is tuned so that it should be properly indexing but doesn't.
Old 10-07-20, 06:50 AM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3810 Post(s)
Liked 6,690 Times in 2,610 Posts
Sounds like the hanger is aligned and the RD travels appropriately if you move it by hand; thus, I'd think the problem was in the shifter or the cable itself. I've found these systems are really sensitive to cable tension. Plus, as others have pointed out, giving the shifter a thorough flush might be the ticket.
Old 10-07-20, 08:28 AM
Narhay

I've flushed it and I'll flush it a few more times for good measure.

Otherwise I'll do a methodical separation of components to determine fault.
Old 10-07-20, 08:38 AM
sallen73

Bikes: 1988 Ross Centaur, 2010 Fuji Connoisseur, 2015 Raleigh Tamland 1, 2017 Raleigh Carlton, 1987 Team Miyata, 2012 Soma Stanyan, 2015 Cinelli Supercorsa, 1984 Miyata 1000, [2009 Scattante SSR], [1988 Falcon Competitor 105], [2016 Soma Wolverine]

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
i have a very similar problem: my LBS says the pivot spring is getting worn, which is preventing the derailleur from keeping proper tension.
i've learned to treat my brifter like a friction shifter: move the lever until i hear the chain moving.
Old 10-07-20, 08:39 AM
Narhay

I used an RD-7900 I know is good and the results were the same so at least the RD portion appears to be ok.
Old 10-07-20, 09:13 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
Beware the phantom bottom shift.

Especially 5700 and 6700. You can get to the smallest cog and then click one more time, sort of, but it’s not a shift.

That is why I “sight in” the shifts with no chain, then tweak the alignment to the 2nd cog in.

Also, and #1 on my s - - t list for 5700 and 6700: cable end placement in the shifter body cradle. The head likes to migrate upwards into a crevice not designed to hold it. It generates the issue you have, and also breaks off there after a while. Quite a bend there.

The slack phony bottom shift and the cable head cradle issue pretty much encompass the problems I’ve seen.
Old 10-07-20, 10:42 AM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,295 Times in 865 Posts
With Shimano 10s road setups, I've often enough found that if SRAM chain were used, that I never could get the shifting right, exhibiting similar symptoms as here (acting like the cables perhaps have too much friction).
Replacing with Shimano chain, with no other changes, typically resolved the persistent issue.

So I have to ask, if the OP is perhaps using SRAM chain?
Old 10-07-20, 10:53 AM
tricky 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 298 Posts
Originally Posted by dddd
With Shimano 10s road setups, I've often enough found that if SRAM chain were used, that I never could get the shifting right, exhibiting similar symptoms as here (acting like the cables perhaps have too much friction).
Replacing with Shimano chain, with no other changes, typically resolved the persistent issue.

So I have to ask, if the OP is perhaps using SRAM chain?
Interesting. I was having an issue with 10 speed and I always use SRAM because of the quick link. Might need to revisit Shimano chains and use something like a Wipperman quick link. I hate those Shimano pins...
Old 10-07-20, 11:09 AM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Many people who use Shimano chain for the reasons that I do will buy a KMC Missing link instead of using the Shimano pin.

I usually use the Shimano pins because I don't ever remove the chain for cleaning.

Some Shimano 10s chains are directional and must be installed with sideplate text facing outward.

Shimano pins should always be installed in the leading-direction holes in the outer side plates (for strength) and should always be installed from the non-driveside (so as to avoid having the pin's fractured end possibly contacting the next-largest cog).

An 8s or 10s SRAM connector will fit too tightly on an 8s or 10s Shimano chain, though a 9s or 11s SRAM connector will work well on a 9s or 11s Shimano chain.
The KMC connectors works on all brands, though they offer two different widths for 8s chain having 7.1 or 7.3mm width.
Likes For dddd:
Old 10-07-20, 07:05 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1949 Post(s)
Liked 2,010 Times in 1,109 Posts
Sometimes (like all the time), you need new cables and housings. Those things are so sensitive to friction. Especially after they hid the cables under the bar tape.
Old 10-07-20, 07:36 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Originally Posted by Classtime
Sometimes (like all the time), you need new cables and housings. Those things are so sensitive to friction. Especially after they hid the cables under the bar tape.
I think that the OP stated that they replaced the cables and housings and still having problems.

If this were perhaps a carbon Trek from certain years, friction between the stainless cable and stainless under-bb cable guide can create real problems on it's own, though a thick plastic noodle can be crimped into the 2-legged retaining tunnel and eliminate the cold-welding friction issue.
Similarly with vintage frames, any metal-on-metal of the cable at the bb can have a quite-significant effect on cable movement, and I install (using glue if needed) plastic noodle there even on my friction-shifted bikes!

I really should have mentioned these issues in my earlier post, since the type of frame wasn't mentioned.

So, in summary, with Shimano 10s road setups, no SRAM chain and no metal-to-metal contact along the cable's path.

Last edited by dddd; 10-07-20 at 07:41 PM.
Old 10-07-20, 09:01 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1949 Post(s)
Liked 2,010 Times in 1,109 Posts
Yep. He did mention new cables. Oops. Regarding cables, be super meticulous on finishing the ends. Dremel at 90 degrees and Shimano ferrules.
Old 10-08-20, 05:20 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
Why aren’t all these things in the manual?

Wait......a manual?
Old 10-08-20, 08:28 AM
Narhay

Ok this is what I have done so far to no effect.

Limits are fine. Without the cable the derailleur moves fine between smallest and largest cog freely.
RD switched out for another. No difference.
Cable and all housings and ferrules switched out twice. No difference.
Lubed all contact points of the cable. No difference
Flushed out shifter. No difference.
Pull on cable after non-shift to see if it has friction. No difference.

It indexes going up to a bigger cog fairly well, but not always. Going to a smaller cog it sometimes does nothing, then another shift and then will jump down 2. Like the shifter doesn't want to release or pull cable consistently.

I'm at a loss. At this point the only constant is the shifter and I dont have another not already mounted on a bike to check.
Old 10-08-20, 08:50 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,465 Times in 1,433 Posts
I recently had a different problem but the remedies suggested might help your problem. See my thread.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 10-08-20, 08:57 AM
beicster 

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 186 Posts
I had a set of 6500 shifters and was having similar problems. I tried everything you tried. When I finally took the shifter off the bike and shook it, I could hear something bouncing around in it. At some point as I was taking it apart, a broken piece of spring fell out. I can only assume that was the problem since I never tried to replace it.